Rio Tinto

Rio Tinto Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Lots of different types of jobs
Equipment Operator/ Crane Operator (Former Employee), Kitimat, BCNovember 9, 2014
Pros: benefits, car pooling, meeting and teaching new workers about the job
Cons: long hours.
typical day in the crane for me was 8-9 hours in the crane doing various jobs but mostly delivering molten aluminium off to casting to be poured. I learned how to be patient cause things dont always go your way. With the help of co-workers made things easier, cant do the job right if you upset your co-workers.
A challenging position
Senior Shovel and drill maintenance supervisor (Former Employee), Oyu Tolgoi mine MongoliaOctober 15, 2014
Language barrier was very hard to work with. Being a newer industry to the country, the population was unaccustomed to the safety culture that was expected of everyone.
Very structured company and HSE is in high regards
Inside Sale Representative (Contractual) (Current Employee), montreal QuebecOctober 8, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: not many advancements oppurtunities and many contractuals
Very friendly work place
Very professional
High regards on HSE
Great Co-workers
Very political
A wonderful work environment with Nurse and Gym on site.
Computer Support Analyst (Former Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 3, 2014
A wonderful work environment with Nurse and Gym on site. Friendly atmosphere. Great team concept,
Challenging opporutunity
Spécialiste amélioration des affaires aux achats (Former Employee), Jonquière, QuébecJuly 23, 2014
Pros: business project with many human interactions
Cons: not on a continuous basis
Cost reduction project with the Singapour procurement team and several plants based on alloying elements.
High profile company
Analyst (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJuly 8, 2014
Very large company with high profile work assignments and talented staff
Always room for advancement
Engineer Co-op (Former Employee), Kitimat, BCJune 28, 2014
Big project spells fast paced environment and tons of shuffling. Lots of room for advancement and most people are happy with their jobs.
Productive and fun place to work
Electrical Engineer Co-op (Former Employee), Labrador City, NLJune 18, 2014
Rio Tinto is one of the top mining companies in the world with high standard safety culture.
Competitive, well compensated, opportunity for advancement
Process Engineer (Current Employee), Quebec, CanadaFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: competitive workplace, opportunity to travel with work
Cons: very limited budgets for projects since al price drop
A great first employer, they are capable of providing plenty of training and opportunities, being such a vast and international company.
Mine Operator. Great people
Mine Operator (Current Employee), Weipa QLD AustraliaJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: great benifits
Cons: favouritism bs
Weipa wonderful lifestyle, but housing is to expensive and the general cost of living is rediculous. Losts of favouritism within the teams which is really bad. can't complain about the rest of my job though I love what I do.
Ambiguous management, long hours, and lack appreciation.
Senior Accountant (Former Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 6, 2013
Ambiguous management, long hours, and lack appreciation.
Productive and supporting company allowing me the opportunity to complete my Master's of Business Administration degree in Executive Management
Temporary Supervisor/Industrial Operator (Current Employee), Kitimat, BCJuly 9, 2013
Pros: recognition of achievements and employee contribution to safety and productivity.
Cons: long working hours with every alternate weekend off.
Typical industrial working environment with production and safety being number one priority. Work starts at 7:00 am and ends at 7:00 pm with four half hour breaks. During my tenure with Rio Tinto Alcan,
I have learned how to work and manage within a large union environment. In addition, being a heavy industry I have learned to watch out for the safety – more... of my co-workers and my own safety.

The management of Rio Tinto Alcan lists safety as top priority followed by productivity on their agenda. The management is also very supportive and are accommodating to its employees.

Teamwork is very important to get various tasks done and therefore, most co-workers are cooperative and work cohesively.

The most difficult part of the job is working near furnaces on extremely hot days with temperatures exceeding 700 degrees Celsius. In contrast, the best part of the job is being trusted and treated with respect. It makes the employees feel responsible and results in better productivity. – less
excellent work environment
Miner (Former Employee), diavik,NWTJune 19, 2013
Pros: nice camp
Cons: no outdoor activities.
the work environment has an positive environment,work safe and learn too advance at an steady rate.
Poorly Managed
Site employee (Former Employee), Northwest Territories, CanadaJune 13, 2013
Extremely 'top heavy' - rife with under-qualified, arrogant young management.
Hence poor business decisions and tremendous waste.
Good safety culture but conservative leadership with no sense (or care) for front-line workers.
No opportunity for advancement unless one relocates to the North.
Wornderful environment to work in, learned alot of new skills.
Logistics Coordinator / Administration Support (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 5, 2012
Pros: pizza lunches, had a great relationship with everyone.
Cons: long hours for month end, not being as involved with the hr aspect of the business
- Data Entry, reconsiling, talking on the phone, ordering railcars, switched being on call every second weekend.
- I gained more experience with Microsoft Office, worked a bit in AccPac, Learned alot about being in a corporation vs. when I worked with a small business.
- I got along very well with all the managment as well as my co-workers
- Hardest – more... part of my job was picking up where the person I was filling in for left off, not having them here to explain certain reports and emails. It was a process but eventually it all works out.
- I enjoyed how involved the corporate office is envolved with our operations, as well as being able to contribute to making improvements in certain aspects of the office. – less
Large multinational workplace, you are a number.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee), Kitimat, BCNovember 5, 2012
Pros: great pay
Cons: too much overtime
Workday starts with a Pre-shift meeting which may include safety items, I was tasked with repairing old equipment often requiring very frequent "Emergency" repairs. Management people under a lot of stress to "just Make Do" until smelter is rebuilt. Co-workers very hardworking and helpful and eager to accomplish assignments in as safe a fashion as possible. – more... The hardest part of the job was doing the same "emergency" time and time again because too much of the machinery was far past its economic service life. The most enjoyable part of the day was the end of shift wrap up meetings. – less
High pay, excellent benefits, poor management/ labour dynamic
Industrial maintenance Electrician (Current Employee), Kitimat British Columbia CanadaMay 28, 2012
Pros: sabbatical
Cons: trying to get the sabatcal when you want it
a tyical day at work, starts with a safety meeting, .performance review and work assigment. It is a high priority from managment to stick to the assigned work scheduale however, due to the age and overall condition of the plant this is a very difficult task. Each of the various departments is in a similair condition and overall interdepartmental communications – more... can get ineffective at times creating a lot of unwanted stress. My co-workers can be and usually are the best part of the job. – less
Safety high Priority at Rio Tinto
Operator (Current Employee), Brockman 4 near Tom Price FIFODecember 13, 2014
Pros: accommodation and facilities are all excellent
Cons: long hours and can be an isolated lifestyle at times
Work roster and conditions are excellent. Flights are direct to site. Most management are very helpful and accommodating when necessary. Work colleagues are mostly cooperative and helpful, occasionally there may be a minor communication problem but rarely.
Great place to work.
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee), South Jordan, UTNovember 30, 2014
Pros: tools provided for success. vacation. benefits. safe place to work.
Cons: not the greatest pay. whining co workers.
Overall this is the best company I have ever worked for. Good leadership, very safe, competitive pay. The vacation and insurance packages are top notch. They provide the employees with everything needed to be successful. There is however a problem with some of the employees that feel entitled, but for the most part a great place.
productive fun place with good people
Stockpile management eg (Former Employee), emerald, QldNovember 16, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: night shift
maintain running of wash plant (chpp)
learned coal processing and operate machinery
management was good
co-workers were good freinds and great to work with
breakdowns not so much but annoying
the peolple were great to work with

1 2 3 4 5

About Rio Tinto

Rio Tinto is a leading international mining group, combining Rio Tinto plc, a London listed public company headquartered in the – Read more