Rio Tinto

Rio Tinto Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Mine Operator. Great people
Mine Operator (Current Employee), Weipa QLD AustraliaJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: great benifits
Cons: favouritism bs
Weipa wonderful lifestyle, but housing is to expensive and the general cost of living is rediculous. Losts of favouritism within the teams which is really bad. can't complain about the rest of my job though I love what I do.
Ambiguous management, long hours, and lack appreciation.
Senior Accountant (Former Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 6, 2013
Ambiguous management, long hours, and lack appreciation.
Productive and supporting company allowing me the opportunity to complete my Master's of Business Administration degree in Executive Management
Temporary Supervisor/Industrial Operator (Current Employee), Kitimat, BCJuly 9, 2013
Pros: recognition of achievements and employee contribution to safety and productivity.
Cons: long working hours with every alternate weekend off.
Typical industrial working environment with production and safety being number one priority. Work starts at 7:00 am and ends at 7:00 pm with four half hour breaks. During my tenure with Rio Tinto Alcan,
I have learned how to work and manage within a large union environment. In addition, being a heavy industry I have learned to watch out for the safety – more... of my co-workers and my own safety.

The management of Rio Tinto Alcan lists safety as top priority followed by productivity on their agenda. The management is also very supportive and are accommodating to its employees.

Teamwork is very important to get various tasks done and therefore, most co-workers are cooperative and work cohesively.

The most difficult part of the job is working near furnaces on extremely hot days with temperatures exceeding 700 degrees Celsius. In contrast, the best part of the job is being trusted and treated with respect. It makes the employees feel responsible and results in better productivity. – less
excellent work environment
Miner (Former Employee), diavik,NWTJune 19, 2013
Pros: nice camp
Cons: no outdoor activities.
the work environment has an positive environment,work safe and learn too advance at an steady rate.
Poorly Managed
Site employee (Former Employee), Northwest Territories, CanadaJune 13, 2013
Extremely 'top heavy' - rife with under-qualified, arrogant young management.
Hence poor business decisions and tremendous waste.
Good safety culture but conservative leadership with no sense (or care) for front-line workers.
No opportunity for advancement unless one relocates to the North.
This company likes to dump its senior workers for those they can get cheaper!
Sr. Executive Assistant (Former Employee), USADecember 26, 2012
Pros: family activities
Cons: long hours, no gratitude for job well done, physically demanding, low morale!
Worked for this company as a top rated Executive Assistant for approximately 20 years. I had watched this company through the years treat their employees as they got older shabbily. If you are over 45 and especially a woman watch your back they will find a way to get rid of you. Experience means nothing and neither does your knowledge. Myself and two – more... other women in my area were laid off for no apparent reason and when you asked why they could not say it was due to any type of job performance. We had simply become expendable due to our expertise and our salaries. Want experience in your field then work there after you get what you need from them and then move on to a better company. – less
Wornderful environment to work in, learned alot of new skills.
Logistics Coordinator / Administration Support (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 5, 2012
Pros: pizza lunches, had a great relationship with everyone.
Cons: long hours for month end, not being as involved with the hr aspect of the business
- Data Entry, reconsiling, talking on the phone, ordering railcars, switched being on call every second weekend.
- I gained more experience with Microsoft Office, worked a bit in AccPac, Learned alot about being in a corporation vs. when I worked with a small business.
- I got along very well with all the managment as well as my co-workers
- Hardest – more... part of my job was picking up where the person I was filling in for left off, not having them here to explain certain reports and emails. It was a process but eventually it all works out.
- I enjoyed how involved the corporate office is envolved with our operations, as well as being able to contribute to making improvements in certain aspects of the office. – less
Large multinational workplace, you are a number.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee), Kitimat, BCNovember 5, 2012
Pros: great pay
Cons: too much overtime
Workday starts with a Pre-shift meeting which may include safety items, I was tasked with repairing old equipment often requiring very frequent "Emergency" repairs. Management people under a lot of stress to "just Make Do" until smelter is rebuilt. Co-workers very hardworking and helpful and eager to accomplish assignments in as safe a fashion as possible. – more... The hardest part of the job was doing the same "emergency" time and time again because too much of the machinery was far past its economic service life. The most enjoyable part of the day was the end of shift wrap up meetings. – less
Extremly hot and hard work but for me very enjoyable
Refinery Operator, Hydrate Department (Current Employee), Nhulunbuy, N.T. AustraliaApril 6, 2014
Pros: 4 days on and 4 days off
Cons: hot & physical work
As stated in my resume we do a lot of hard work in hot conditions. We learn each day how to safely improve our jobs, strong teamwork focus.
safe & friendly work force. with good job prospects
Boilermaker / welder / Supervisor nightshift (Former Employee), Port HedlandApril 2, 2014
Pros: good work environment
Cons: flys
morning meetings. work for the day.
Helping out with other trades
Mentoring apprentices
....
Accounting Officer (Former Employee), waMarch 27, 2014
• Day-to-day conversion of purchase requisitions to purchase orders.
• Distribution of purchase orders to EPCM Contractors and external suppliers.
• Other activities may undertake relating to other RTIO business units.
• Direct accountability for the transactions and associated processes relating to activities for direct and indirect project activities.
 – more... Direct contact with the other components of the Order Services team.
• Conduct reviews to assess outstanding approved requisitions.
• Perform conversion activities to specifications required by business processes and/or internal customers.
• Validate order for accuracy and distribute to internal customers or vendors as applicable.
• Actively manage relationships with EPCM Contractors.
• Requisition Generation and Validation.
• Order Conversion and Distribution.
• Order Receipting and Validation.
• Review outstanding approved requisitions created by or on behalf of the Project division and identify errors or non-compliance with accepted business practices.
• Assisting with end of month reporting. – less
Productive fun place to work, lots of challenges
Business Evaluation and Commercial Manager (Current Employee), Johannesburg, South AfricaMarch 26, 2014
Cons: little visibility for those not located in uk or australia.
Great environment. Take great care of image and doing the right thing in a very difficult industry.
Graet pay and benifits. The job itself and managers are great.Some concern to be laid off.
Mine operator/Laborer (Current Employee), Boron, CAMarch 22, 2014
Pros: we are payed very well and taken care of by the company
Cons: fear of being laid off
A typical day at work would be clocking in and having a team meeting with the manger with him or her telling us what we are going to do. Also talking about any safety hazards that might be present. Then we would be taken to are equipment and haul lots of material. The management are very helpful and want us all to remain safe.
Enjoyed the people
Fixed Plant Maintenance Fitter 'FIFO (Former Employee), Nhulunbuy, NTMarch 18, 2014
Pros: good people
worked in white side as a fitter, Then calcination / lime plant / Silo storage as a fitter welder, then Maintenance Pump Crew as a fitter, Machinist.
Uncertain work environment due to constant downsizing / outsourcing
Capability Development Manager (Former Employee), SingaporeMarch 11, 2014
I enjoyed my time with Rio Tinto but the current climate is driven by uncertainty given recent internal reviews, changes in strategy, and outsourcing that has people more concerned about job security. These changes have typically been delivered poorly and highlight a lack of quality leadership.
Competitive, well compensated, opportunity for advancement
Process Engineer (Current Employee), Quebec, CanadaFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: competitive workplace, opportunity to travel with work
Cons: very limited budgets for projects since al price drop
A great first employer, they are capable of providing plenty of training and opportunities, being such a vast and international company.
Major greenfield mining project, both challenging and rewarding
Contract Management Superintendent (Current Employee), Ulaanbaatar, MongoliaFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: one of the most interesting projects i've ever worked on
Cons: a challenge to get regional contractors to embrace western standards
Remote and challenging location in the Gobi Desert
Fascinating indigenous people and culture
Global Company with a big reputation (unjustified)
Team Leader/ Mobile Plant Operator/ Trainer (Current Employee), WAFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: lifelong friendships developed
Cons: the culture being nurtured by the majority of management personel
Workmates respect for one and other is predominately evident on a daily basis, with a willingness to learn exhibited by those less experienced matched by gratuitous mentor-ship from the more well traveled.
Unfortunately this free exchange is not matched or even aspired to by the 'leadership" groups that I have encountered.
Great, faced paced employment. Very team oriented.
Plant Operator/Miner/Loader Operator (Former Employee), Boron, CAFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: healthcare, hours
I operated heavy equipment and worked 10-12 hour days. Management was great and I learned alot of on the job training. I am a very highly dedicated employee and have great attendance. I would still work there, but I had to move back to Washington State due to an illness of a family member.
Excellent Company
Heavy Equipment Mine Operator (Former Employee), Weipa, QLDFebruary 16, 2014
Rio Tinto provides alot of Benefits and its a great company and has helped me obtain experience in operating mining equipment..

1 2 3 4 5

About Rio Tinto

Rio Tinto’s principal business is to sustainably find, develop, mine and process natural resources. The Group is a major – Read more