Rio Tinto Employee Reviews

Educative with leaders
Senior Internal Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Other23 November 2016
Rio Tinto was a great experience. It helped developed my knowledge and skills right after college. I spent 5 years working for that company. The management had a lot of tools in place to help with our development.
Excellent Job
Mobile Maintenance Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT22 November 2016
Is an excellent company but the economy is putting stress on it. I have enjoyed my time there but unfortunately need to move on due to market conditions.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
The market dictates the stability
Large global corporation
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 November 2016
Rio Tinto is a large global company. Very interesting interaction globally. Executives are easily approachable and the respect is given to all staff no matter what level.

Work/life/balance is very important however very difficult to apply.
Production driven
Equipment Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC22 July 2016
Shift work with rotating 12hr shifts Heavy machinery with 1950s technology aluminum production. Highly hazardous materials but great emphasis on safety
fast pace work environment.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC22 July 2016
Senior management promotes the idea of us vs them (management vs workers) this makes the work environment on a daily basis extremely depressing and counter productive.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
bad management
Excellent work place
SENIOR INFRASTRUCTURE ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 May 2016
I have nothing negative to share.

amazing environment full of friendly people and the management is very transparent and fair.
Productive workplace and good ppl to work with
Electrician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC25 January 2016
I liked working on the Rio-Tinto Albans site because it was very professional and safety always came first. were a good bunch of guys to work with
Graduate Mining Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mount Thorley Warkworth7 January 2016
Tell us about:
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Challenging but enjoyable.
Scaffolder (Former Employee) –  Nhulunbuy, NT21 November 2015
Challenging work everyday. Good working station and co-workers. The management always give all the needs of the workers such as food and lodging, PPE, medical benefits and transportation. The hardest part of the job is when I assigned in boiler area but a challenging job. The most enjoyable part of the job is when we have done the job early as the required time frame.
Pros
food and lodging, PPE, medical benefits and transportation.
Fantastic Work Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 November 2015
Top notch work environment. Worked with the best lawyers and assistants. Couldn't have asked for a better job at the time.
Worked in the pot lines
Summer Student Cell Block Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitimat28 August 2015
Most of the co workers are welcoming. I worked 12 hour shifts in hot temperatures. Worked both night shifts and day shifts.
Great for knowledge and skill advancement
GEOLOGIST - TECHNICAL SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Labrador City, NL20 August 2015
Rio Tinto Iron Ore Company of Canada is a great working environment to advance ones skills sets. Training available to employees is top-notch.
Great place to work. Good management. Team driven
Co-Ordinator warehouse and inbound freight (Former Employee) –  Montreal,QC5 August 2015
Most enjoyable work atmosphere. People easy to work with. Good team efforts. Ability to back up each others jobs. Flexibility to work from home.
Pros
team activities days once a month
Cons
Long hours, On call 24/7
Good pay, benefits and union co-workers, NO PROPER RESPECTFUL MANAGEMENT
Crusher Operator (Former Employee) –  Labrador City20 June 2015
New upper management are disgusting horrible people who care for nothing but themselves, they care nothing for the actual honest hard workers.
Pros
Pay rate, benefits, union co-workers
Cons
Disgusting, horrible, totally disrespectful management. ZERO RESPECT FOR UNION.
It was a long hard 35 years.
Sr Cell Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC18 June 2015
when I first started it was June of 1979, we worked 8 hour shifts ,6 days on 2 off and we worked dayshift 7 am -11 pm,afternoons was 3 pm-11 pm and nights was 11 pm-7 am for almost 20 years,Summers were very hot and we had to wear heavy wool protective clothing. Had not much of a family life because it was hard to plan anything being on call for overtime. we never had weekends of for 6 weeks. I did not like that. Coworkers were generally ok,sometimes difficult but you learn to work together when you can.Then we went on 12 hour shifts , I liked that better, hours were 7 am-7 pm for days and 7 pm-7 am for nights. we had every other weekend off. The hardest part of work was working environment it gets extremely hot and humid. The most enjoyable thing was making the most of being there,some of the co workers would organize things like on site get togethers for lunches like pot lucks and everyone would bring something in and we would all share a meal together.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
work environment was hot and dusty.
Poor management, toxic relationship with their workers.
Operator (Current Employee) –  labrador City3 June 2015
poor management, planning, and organization. They do everything possible in Iron Ore Company to make people upset and scared for their job, accident waiting to happen.
Pros
Decent wage
Cons
have to work 84 hours in 7 days if you don't get forced for an extra 4 or 5 besides your 7 days.
Excellent company to work for.
Senior Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Lac De Gras, NT17 February 2015
Rio Tinto takes pride in taking care of their employees, they provide an exceptional employee benefit program which in turn gives the employee a sense of security at all times. Safety is the number one priority in all aspects of the company.
Management very poor and payroll dishonest.
Underground Planner, Hydrogeology (Current Employee) –  Diavik Diamond Mine29 January 2015
Very poor management, lack of leadership and managers fail to take responsibility for their actions including the enforcement of standard operating procedures. Management, also failed to provide adequate staff to do the work required and bullied when additional work was not done. This is exemplified by the very high turnover rate.

Payroll was dishonest in not providing documentation that was in accord with pay stubs and committed a fundamental breach of the separation agreement.
Pros
the 2 weeks in two weeks off was attractive
Cons
Long hours and lack of leadership by technical services superintendents and managers.
Productive and fun place to work in with a nice organisational culture
Credit Administrator (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 January 2015
A tipical day at work in the Commercial Finance group is never tipical. There are always new complex problem appearing and we have to place them in order of priority adn then solve them. The culture is good with a good work / life balance.
Lots of different types of jobs
Equipment Operator/ Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC9 November 2014
typical day in the crane for me was 8-9 hours in the crane doing various jobs but mostly delivering molten aluminium off to casting to be poured. I learned how to be patient cause things dont always go your way. With the help of co-workers made things easier, cant do the job right if you upset your co-workers.
Pros
benefits, car pooling, meeting and teaching new workers about the job
Cons
long hours.

4.2