Rio Tinto Employee Reviews

fast pace work environment.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BCJuly 22, 2016
Senior management promotes the idea of us vs them (management vs workers) this makes the work environment on a daily basis extremely depressing and counter productive.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
bad management
Production driven
Equipment Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BCJuly 22, 2016
Shift work with rotating 12hr shifts Heavy machinery with 1950s technology aluminum production. Highly hazardous materials but great emphasis on safety
Excellent work place
SENIOR INFRASTRUCTURE ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 12, 2016
I have nothing negative to share.

amazing environment full of friendly people and the management is very transparent and fair.
Management very poor and payroll dishonest.
Underground Planner, Hydrogeology (Current Employee) –  Diavik Diamond MineJanuary 29, 2015
Very poor management, lack of leadership and managers fail to take responsibility for their actions including the enforcement of standard operating procedures. Management, also failed to provide adequate staff to do the work required and bullied when additional work was not done. This is exemplified by the very high turnover rate.

Payroll was dishonest in not providing documentation that was in accord with pay stubs and committed a fundamental breach of the separation agreement.
Pros
the 2 weeks in two weeks off was attractive
Cons
long hours and lack of leadership by technical services superintendents and managers.
Good pay, benefits and union co-workers, NO PROPER RESPECTFUL MANAGEMENT
Crusher Operator (Former Employee) –  Labrador CityJune 20, 2015
New upper management are disgusting horrible people who care for nothing but themselves, they care nothing for the actual honest hard workers.
Pros
Pay rate, benefits, union co-workers
Cons
Disgusting, horrible, totally disrespectful management. ZERO RESPECT FOR UNION.
It was a long hard 35 years.
Sr Cell Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BCJune 18, 2015
when I first started it was June of 1979, we worked 8 hour shifts ,6 days on 2 off and we worked dayshift 7 am -11 pm,afternoons was 3 pm-11 pm and nights was 11 pm-7 am for almost 20 years,Summers were very hot and we had to wear heavy wool protective clothing. Had not much of a family life because it was hard to plan anything being on call for overtime. we never had weekends of for 6 weeks. I did not like that. Coworkers were generally ok,sometimes difficult but you learn to work together when you can.Then we went on 12 hour shifts , I liked that better, hours were 7 am-7 pm for days and 7 pm-7 am for nights. we had every other weekend off. The hardest part of work was working environment it gets extremely hot and humid. The most enjoyable thing was making the most of being there,some of the co workers would organize things like on site get togethers for lunches like pot lucks and everyone would bring something in and we would all share a meal together.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
work environment was hot and dusty.
Productive workplace and good ppl to work with
Electrician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BCJanuary 25, 2016
I liked working on the Rio-Tinto Albans site because it was very professional and safety always came first. were a good bunch of guys to work with
Poorly Managed
Site employee (Former Employee) –  Northwest Territories, CanadaJune 13, 2013
Extremely 'top heavy' - rife with under-qualified, arrogant young management.
Hence poor business decisions and tremendous waste.
Good safety culture but conservative leadership with no sense (or care) for front-line workers.
No opportunity for advancement unless one relocates to the North.
Lots of different types of jobs
Equipment Operator/ Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BCNovember 9, 2014
typical day in the crane for me was 8-9 hours in the crane doing various jobs but mostly delivering molten aluminium off to casting to be poured. I learned how to be patient cause things dont always go your way. With the help of co-workers made things easier, cant do the job right if you upset your co-workers.
Pros
benefits, car pooling, meeting and teaching new workers about the job
Cons
long hours.
Great place to work. Good management. Team driven
Co-Ordinator warehouse and inbound freight (Former Employee) –  Montreal,QCAugust 5, 2015
Most enjoyable work atmosphere. People easy to work with. Good team efforts. Ability to back up each others jobs. Flexibility to work from home.
Pros
team activities days once a month
Cons
Long hours, On call 24/7
Fantastic Work Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 16, 2015
Top notch work environment. Worked with the best lawyers and assistants. Couldn't have asked for a better job at the time.
Poor management, toxic relationship with their workers.
Operator (Current Employee) –  labrador CityJune 3, 2015
poor management, planning, and organization. They do everything possible in Iron Ore Company to make people upset and scared for their job, accident waiting to happen.
Pros
Decent wage
Cons
have to work 84 hours in 7 days if you don't get forced for an extra 4 or 5 besides your 7 days.
Wornderful environment to work in, learned alot of new skills.
Logistics Coordinator / Administration Support (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 5, 2012
- Data Entry, reconsiling, talking on the phone, ordering railcars, switched being on call every second weekend.
- I gained more experience with Microsoft Office, worked a bit in AccPac, Learned alot about being in a corporation vs. when I worked with a small business.
- I got along very well with all the managment as well as my co-workers
- Hardest part of my job was picking up where the person I was filling in for left off, not having them here to explain certain reports and emails. It was a process but eventually it all works out.
- I enjoyed how involved the corporate office is envolved with our operations, as well as being able to contribute to making improvements in certain aspects of the office.
Pros
pizza lunches, had a great relationship with everyone.
Cons
long hours for month end, not being as involved with the hr aspect of the business
Large multinational workplace, you are a number.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BCNovember 5, 2012
Workday starts with a Pre-shift meeting which may include safety items, I was tasked with repairing old equipment often requiring very frequent "Emergency" repairs. Management people under a lot of stress to "just Make Do" until smelter is rebuilt. Co-workers very hardworking and helpful and eager to accomplish assignments in as safe a fashion as possible. The hardest part of the job was doing the same "emergency" time and time again because too much of the machinery was far past its economic service life. The most enjoyable part of the day was the end of shift wrap up meetings.
Pros
great pay
Cons
too much overtime
Worked in the pot lines
Summer Student Cell Block Operator (Former Employee) –  KitimatAugust 28, 2015
Most of the co workers are welcoming. I worked 12 hour shifts in hot temperatures. Worked both night shifts and day shifts.
Driver
Driver (Former Employee) –  Labrador City, NLJune 16, 2013
Worked with company transporting workers around job site. To and from airport. Worked with great management team and safety was a priority at all times.Hardest part of job was winter conditions on gravel roads with full load of workers and slippery conditions with many hills and turns. Keep yourself alert as to conditions of the roads and block out noises from workers being transported.Enjoyable past was getting workers back to camp safely and taking them to airport for their turn-a-rounds for days off.
Ambiguous management, long hours, and lack appreciation.
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 6, 2013
Ambiguous management, long hours, and lack appreciation.
Productive and fun place to work in with a nice organisational culture
Credit Administrator (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 20, 2015
A tipical day at work in the Commercial Finance group is never tipical. There are always new complex problem appearing and we have to place them in order of priority adn then solve them. The culture is good with a good work / life balance.
Productive and supporting company allowing me the opportunity to complete my Master's of Business Administration degree in Executive Management
Temporary Supervisor/Industrial Operator (Current Employee) –  Kitimat, BCJuly 9, 2013
Typical industrial working environment with production and safety being number one priority. Work starts at 7:00 am and ends at 7:00 pm with four half hour breaks. During my tenure with Rio Tinto Alcan,
I have learned how to work and manage within a large union environment. In addition, being a heavy industry I have learned to watch out for the safety of my co-workers and my own safety.

The management of Rio Tinto Alcan lists safety as top priority followed by productivity on their agenda. The management is also very supportive and are accommodating to its employees.

Teamwork is very important to get various tasks done and therefore, most co-workers are cooperative and work cohesively.

The most difficult part of the job is working near furnaces on extremely hot days with temperatures exceeding 700 degrees Celsius. In contrast, the best part of the job is being trusted and treated with respect. It makes the employees feel responsible and results in better productivity.
Pros
recognition of achievements and employee contribution to safety and productivity.
Cons
long working hours with every alternate weekend off.
Very structured company and HSE is in high regards
Inside Sale Representative (Contractual) (Current Employee) –  montreal QuebecOctober 8, 2014
Very friendly work place
Very professional
High regards on HSE
Great Co-workers
Very political
Pros
flexible
Cons
not many advancements oppurtunities and many contractuals