Rio Tinto Employee Reviews

Discrimination against non-Quebec born employees
Sourcing/Procurement Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 December 2016
Excellent company to work, however, in Quebec the meddle to low management is extremely racist and protective against non-Quebec born employees. Even highly qualified professionals born outside of Quebec will have very low chances to grow in the company and will have difficulties to be hired and maintained in their positions.
Pros
Highly competitive salaries
Cons
Prejudice against non Quebec born professionals
A great place to work
Principal Advisor -Contract to Cash (CTC) (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 January 2017
Great organisation to work for. Great leadership, a leader in cutting edge industrial technologies. Wonderful minds and a culture of work life balance.

Safety is number one priority
Large global corporation
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 November 2016
Rio Tinto is a large global company. Very interesting interaction globally. Executives are easily approachable and the respect is given to all staff no matter what level.

Work/life/balance is very important however very difficult to apply.
Very Bad employer
SAP Senior Specialist Integration (Former Employee) –  Canada4 January 2017
Rio Tinto only cares about money, lots of people die every year in that place and they care about their devoted employees! The hours are very bad more than 60 per week without compensation!
Pros
world wide company
Cons
Only thinks about making money
Educative with leaders
Senior Internal Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Other23 November 2016
Rio Tinto was a great experience. It helped developed my knowledge and skills right after college. I spent 5 years working for that company. The management had a lot of tools in place to help with our development.
Excellent Job
Mobile Maintenance Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT22 November 2016
Is an excellent company but the economy is putting stress on it. I have enjoyed my time there but unfortunately need to move on due to market conditions.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
The market dictates the stability
Rio Tinto is one of the best company around the globe
Heavy mobile equipments Trainer or operator (Former Employee) –  Simandou Guinea canga est18 February 2017
Rio Tinto make me who i am today good training on safe work procedure safe work place Rio tinto give training to literary people or to people with no experience
Pros
Cons
1 hour
Had a great time working with the people there over the years
Mailing and printing services (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 February 2017
It is a great place to work, but like many large corporations, you are just a number, and sometimes your number comes up. I would go back in a heart beat if asked.
fast pace work environment.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC22 July 2016
Senior management promotes the idea of us vs them (management vs workers) this makes the work environment on a daily basis extremely depressing and counter productive.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
bad management
Challenging but enjoyable.
Scaffolder (Former Employee) –  Nhulunbuy, NT21 November 2015
Challenging work everyday. Good working station and co-workers. The management always give all the needs of the workers such as food and lodging, PPE, medical benefits and transportation. The hardest part of the job is when I assigned in boiler area but a challenging job. The most enjoyable part of the job is when we have done the job early as the required time frame.
Pros
food and lodging, PPE, medical benefits and transportation.
Excellent work place
SENIOR INFRASTRUCTURE ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 May 2016
I have nothing negative to share.

amazing environment full of friendly people and the management is very transparent and fair.
Management very poor and payroll dishonest.
Underground Planner, Hydrogeology (Current Employee) –  Diavik Diamond Mine29 January 2015
Very poor management, lack of leadership and managers fail to take responsibility for their actions including the enforcement of standard operating procedures. Management, also failed to provide adequate staff to do the work required and bullied when additional work was not done. This is exemplified by the very high turnover rate.

Payroll was dishonest in not providing documentation that was in accord with pay stubs and committed a fundamental breach of the separation agreement.
Pros
the 2 weeks in two weeks off was attractive
Cons
Long hours and lack of leadership by technical services superintendents and managers.
Production driven
Equipment Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC22 July 2016
Shift work with rotating 12hr shifts Heavy machinery with 1950s technology aluminum production. Highly hazardous materials but great emphasis on safety
Poorly Managed
Site employee (Former Employee) –  Northwest Territories, Canada13 June 2013
Extremely 'top heavy' - rife with under-qualified, arrogant young management.
Hence poor business decisions and tremendous waste.
Good safety culture but conservative leadership with no sense (or care) for front-line workers.
No opportunity for advancement unless one relocates to the North.
Lots of different types of jobs
Equipment Operator/ Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC9 November 2014
typical day in the crane for me was 8-9 hours in the crane doing various jobs but mostly delivering molten aluminium off to casting to be poured. I learned how to be patient cause things dont always go your way. With the help of co-workers made things easier, cant do the job right if you upset your co-workers.
Pros
benefits, car pooling, meeting and teaching new workers about the job
Cons
long hours.
Good pay, benefits and union co-workers, NO PROPER RESPECTFUL MANAGEMENT
Crusher Operator (Former Employee) –  Labrador City20 June 2015
New upper management are disgusting horrible people who care for nothing but themselves, they care nothing for the actual honest hard workers.
Pros
Pay rate, benefits, union co-workers
Cons
Disgusting, horrible, totally disrespectful management. ZERO RESPECT FOR UNION.
It was a long hard 35 years.
Sr Cell Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC18 June 2015
when I first started it was June of 1979, we worked 8 hour shifts ,6 days on 2 off and we worked dayshift 7 am -11 pm,afternoons was 3 pm-11 pm and nights was 11 pm-7 am for almost 20 years,Summers were very hot and we had to wear heavy wool protective clothing. Had not much of a family life because it was hard to plan anything being on call for overtime. we never had weekends of for 6 weeks. I did not like that. Coworkers were generally ok,sometimes difficult but you learn to work together when you can.Then we went on 12 hour shifts , I liked that better, hours were 7 am-7 pm for days and 7 pm-7 am for nights. we had every other weekend off. The hardest part of work was working environment it gets extremely hot and humid. The most enjoyable thing was making the most of being there,some of the co workers would organize things like on site get togethers for lunches like pot lucks and everyone would bring something in and we would all share a meal together.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
work environment was hot and dusty.
Graduate Mining Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mount Thorley Warkworth7 January 2016
Tell us about:
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Wornderful environment to work in, learned alot of new skills.
Logistics Coordinator / Administration Support (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 December 2012
- Data Entry, reconsiling, talking on the phone, ordering railcars, switched being on call every second weekend.
- I gained more experience with Microsoft Office, worked a bit in AccPac, Learned alot about being in a corporation vs. when I worked with a small business.
- I got along very well with all the managment as well as my co-workers
- Hardest part of my job was picking up where the person I was filling in for left off, not having them here to explain certain reports and emails. It was a process but eventually it all works out.
- I enjoyed how involved the corporate office is envolved with our operations, as well as being able to contribute to making improvements in certain aspects of the office.
Pros
pizza lunches, had a great relationship with everyone.
Cons
long hours for month end, not being as involved with the hr aspect of the business
Excellent company to work for. Very interesting and challenging work.
Senior Designer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 January 2014
Typical day starts by checking and reviewing the work with the project manager. At 11 am there is a daily meeting with the project manager, the design team and upper management. In that meeting you outline your progress and highlight any problems you have or see the potential of developing. After the lunch break you return to your work station and continue with your design activities as per instructions from management and the agreed plan of action.
Pros
Senior management is very involved in the design process providing instant support when needed.
Cons
Unfortunately due to the poor economy they can't offer a permanent position.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rio Tinto. Our community is ready to answer.

76%