ONE YEAR TERM POSITION: SEPTEMBER 2014 – SEPTEMBER 2015 (with the possibility of extension)
The Rick Hansen Institute (RHI) is a Canadian-based not-for-profit organization committed to accelerating the translation of discoveries and best practices into improved treatments for people with spinal cord injuries.
Working as a member of the Data Services Group, the Data Analyst will be a highly motivated, experienced individual that will be working with the Manager of the Data Services Group, Statisticians, the Data Manager, and other members of the group as well as the Research Team. This position will work with the Manager of the Data Services Group and the Statisticians to provide programming and data analysis assistance to other groups within the RHI Translational Research Program and other clinical initiatives in the RHI network. A major area of focus is to assist with data transformation and analyses using data from the Rick Hansen SCI Registry (RHSCIR). The position will require advanced experience and skills in: SAS or SQL programming, database queries, data linking, data formats, data dictionaries, data quality issues, data manipulations, data analysis, and automation of data imports, exports, and transformations. The Data Analyst will excel in a fast paced environment, managing multiple responsibilities and deadlines while also being an effective communicator who combines strong programming and general technical skills and attention to detail with an appreciation for the value of quality oversight in managing data for use in research.
Reporting to the Manager, Data Services Group, the Data Analyst will:
- Support the Data Services Group and Research Team with programming and data analysis support for the Statisticians, Data Manager and Research Associates, with a primary focus on RHSCIR
- Create analysis data sets, which involves building datasets based on data elements required in research projects to facilitate efficient and thorough statistical analysis
- Link and integrate data in different formats from different data sources (both internal and external to RHI)
- Write and execute computer analyses programs as required, using statistical software
- Participate in quality control and quality assurance activities as related to data management and analysis
- Generate standard and customized reports for use in internal and external reviews of data
- Conduct data reviews, data quality assessments, and data analyses using databases, spreadsheets, and statistical software
- Assist with data management / data migration tasks where necessary
- Assist with collection and maintenance of comprehensive data dictionaries
- Provide advice regarding appropriate analytic approaches on an ad hoc basis to the internal research and clinical operations group and external partners
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge about analytical techniques; health services and population health research; and other relevant information to our stakeholders as required
- Participate on RHI project teams
- Work collaboratively with other RHI team members (i.e. provide regular updates on activities), ensuring timely notification of issues or problems, and maintaining professionalism in collecting feedback both from internal and external project team members
- Work with members of the SCI research community nationally and international academic and healthcare organizations to ensure data collected by RHSCIR and RHI is utilized to its full extent to identify, validate and translate best practices in the care and treatment of persons with SCI
- Perform other duties as related to the qualifications and requirements of the job.
The ideal candidate will have:
- An undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline (i.e. computer science, statistics, epidemiology, operations research, clinical research) is preferred.
- Minimum of two years of experience in research programming/analysis or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- One year of experience in the manipulation and analysis of statistical data from administrative health or research databases.
- Strong computing skills (especially using SAS) would be an advantage, including ability to manage data and to produce ad hoc report using SAS BASE, ODS, MACRO, GRAPHICS, IML, EG and to use SAS STAT procedures
- SQL is recommended
- Knowledge of other statistical packages (e.g., SPSS,k Stata, S-Plus, R) and/or programming languages (e.g., C++, Visual Basic, etc.) is helpful
- Experience in integrative analysis and health services research, health administration, epidemiology or similar field with equivalent skills and experience is preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified candidates can forward their resumes via e-mail quoting competition 2014-04 by August 29, 2014. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For more information on the Rick Hansen Institute, please visit our website at www.rickhanseninstitute.org.
Indeed - 30+ days ago
The Rick Hansen Institute (RHI) is a Canadian-based not-for-profit organization committed to accelerating the translation of discoveries and...