REVISION MILITARY JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: PRODUCT ENGINEER
Department: Product Management, Armor BU
Reports To: Director, Product Management
FLSA status: Salaried Exempt
Hours/Days Worked: 8:30AM to 5:30PM Monday to Friday (Additional Hours required)
Location: Montreal, QC
Date: March, 2014
PRIMARY EMPLOYMENT OBJECTIVES
The Product Engineer is the vital link between Industrial Design, Tooling, Manufacturing, Quality, and Revision’s suppliers. Working throughout the organization, this position will be responsible for project managing the creation and development of new armor products as well as improving existing ones. The Product Engineer will lead product development project teams to deliver world class armor products for military markets ensuring compliance to specification, integration into existing systems, and validation of the product design. The Product Engineer will also focus “upstream” in the supply chain ensuring optimization of the supply chain, assessing and developing the capabilities and capacities of the suppliers, and developing and implementing supply chain strategies and tactics which will support growth.
SPECIFIC ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Project manage assigned product development efforts and act as the bridge between Industrial Design, Quality, Operations, and Suppliers during product development initiatives.
- Evaluate the feasibility of selected concepts to meet functional, military/commercial applications, and customer needs.
- Utilize the Product Life Cycle, (PLC), process to design, develop, and prototype new products and manage them from “cradle-to-grave.”
- Develop timelines and cost estimates for development tasks and appraise management of performance against plan as part of the PLC process.
- Evaluate, document, and implement potential design and process changes to improve product performance, manufacturability, safety or cost consistent with company PLC process requirements.
- Obtain components/supplies/equipment to support prototype assembly, and conduct preliminary vendor assessment/selection.
- Assess reliability, safety, performance and risk of new designs & products.
- Coordinate and communicate development schedules and compatibility or design issues throughout the team continuously.
- Provide input into the creation/modification of Product Specifications in alignment with Customer Requirements.
- Identify, develop and implement pre-production assembly methods and equipment; coordinate with vendor activities relative to communication of specifications, development schedules, and system compatibility.
- Create the Bill of Materials and manage the complete BOM through product development, including the cost analysis interaction with Finance and transfer to manufacturing.
- Create fully dimensioned drawings and Technical Data Packages, (TDP), to be provided to suppliers for sourcing new product components.
- Create test and validation plans for new products to validate conformance to specifications.
- Evaluate the feasibility of concepts and/or prototypes through engineering testing and analysis, consistent with customer expectation.
- Create experiments, (DOE), and analyze different materials, manufacturing processes, design tolerances, and other factors in the product developmental process.
- Provide Design-For-“X,” (Dfx), analysis and guidance to the development team as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience. Mechanical, Materials, or Industrial engineering preferred.
- Completion of a master's degree program or licensure as a Professional Engineer a plus.
- 5+ years’ experience working in a product development environment or related engineering role required.
- Knowledge of injection molding manufacturing processes, composites and quality assurance protocols beneficial.
- Must have strong interpersonal relationship skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret technical drawings and specifications / technical requirements.
- Strong knowledge of QMS, ISO, industry standards, military standards and internal procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management principles.
- Highly motivated problem solver with meticulous attention to detail.
- Approximately 20% travel between Montreal and Vermont and supplier locations required, and may include travel to overseas locations.
WORK ENVIRONMENT (include physical requirements)
Revision Military provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Revision Military complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Revision Military protects soldiers by designing, developing and delivering the best purpose-built military eye, face and head protection...