Retirement Concepts Employee Reviews

Stay away!
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 December 2017
Poor management team. Manipulative, passive agressive, lying snakes. Stay away. RNs are overwhelmed, poor morale and staffing. Safety is not #1, and no education offered for new or continuing staff. Poor pay and compensation. Nurses are under HEU union, which does nothing. I quit and they still owe me outstanding wages! Not worth the bad energy. You are needed elsewhere!
Pros
RN office
Cons
Poor pay, horrible management, poor staffing and morale.
Total joke, main manager is out of there minds.
HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC6 December 2017
Do you wanna work for someone who lies cheats and blames others then this is the place for you. No really this place was so bad towards the end I just sat back and watched it worsen.
Pros
Cons
A lot but mostly the unbelievable attitude of the "leadership team"
Retirement Concepts, a positive choice.
Clinical Educator (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC5 December 2017
Have now worked for Retirement Concepts for 6 months.
My job has worked well for me with work/life balance which is important to me and my family.
I feel like I am given interesting and manageable projects and my co-workers are very supportive and make my job fun.
I love that I am part of a company that is striving to serve our seniors with high quality, safe care.
My background is Clinical and I am enjoying providing support to our different communities around BC. I am getting to use all my skills and I am being supported in advancing my knowledge.
Pros
Good worklife balance, Great co-workers, Interesting and challenging projects, Positive work goals, serving seniors
Excellent Place to work
Head Office (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 November 2017
The company has been through some changes recently - I'm excited about what the future holds.

There is opportunity for development, advancement. I'm working on some great initiatives and projects.
Pros
Great people, lots of exciting times ahead
Awesome place to work!
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 November 2017
I was hesitant to start at RC, but it came to be the best decision I have made in a long time. Great staff and colleagues. Great support from Management. Work-Life balance is very important to me and I am I am to say, I have this for the first time in a long time.
I am so happy to feel like I am making a difference.
Pros
Good working ethics, work life balance, teamwork
Cons
Not enough time in the day to get things I wish to do!
Poor place to work
Minion (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC12 October 2017
I've worked here for a longtime and this year is the worst it's ever been. Management is very unprofessional they do NOT know how to talk to or even treat their employees with a shred of respect; and they bully their workers, morale is at an all time low, severely understaffed and over worked employees, poor wages, no raise in over two years, been working without a contract for at least two years. Half of the appliances in the building are broken and never fixed unless you hound maintenance to do it.
10/10 would never work for this company again unless drastic change of management.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Listed
wost place I have worked in my 30 yr career
health care professional (Former Employee) –  Comox Valley, BC12 October 2017
high turnover of staff is due to poor pay relative to similar employers and a toxic work culture in which issues are brought up and nothing is ever done about them. I would never go back. Any good staff eventually quit as soon as other opportunities arise. Company does not provide enough resources including food, facecloths, employees or thoughtfulness in their day to day procedures. The hardest thing is to see that these lovely old seniors are the ones who suffer from a company that chases profits to the exclusion of almost everything else.
Pros
beautiful facility in a lovely part of the world
Cons
staff shortages, no teamwork, poor communication channels, managers ability to make changes is nil
Fun work environment with open door policy
Executive Assistant to the President and CEO (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 September 2017
The CEO was a fun and outgoing individual. His entire family is humble and kind and the culture there was like a big happy family. Everyone knew everyone's name. Everyone pushed and pulled each other for success. It is a big team together at Retirement Concepts.
Wouldn't Reccommend
LPN (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 July 2017
Do you want to work for a place of employment with a high turnover rate? If yes, this is the place for you. Has gone through 6 General Managers in the last year. Poor Morale. Terrible Ownership. Staff constantly threatening to go on strike. Company cannot fill suites so jobs are always in jeopardy. Low pay compared with industry standards.
Pros
Free Lunch
Enjoyable work environment
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Summerland, BC12 January 2017
I liked the constant ability to have training in all area's and to be introduced to new procedures as well as always supported by staff and management.
Pros
flexible work hours and schedules
Short staff
HCa (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC12 November 2016
Union weakest in the island. Management expect you to the bath even short staff. We are told by the new management to not speak any other languages in the building, even in the staff room.
Pros
Co workers are friendly and love the residents.
Cons
Wages lowest in the island
Very caring and wonderful place to work.
Receptionist/Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC9 March 2016
My job at the village is very busy and keeps me occupied all day long. I have learned many time management skills, as well as how to used a payroll program. I have found that all members of my team at the village are amazing to work with, being very supportive and helpful.
Poor management
Minion (Former Employee) –  British Columbia9 March 2016
Managers "motivate" their "staff" (I prefer team member, but they call us staff) with negative reinforcement. As opposed to encouraging them for a job well done. Bad managers drive away excellent talent. Sadly.

Also, it has the weakest union executive I have ever seen.
Cons
Several
Chaotic management
Lpn (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC22 December 2015
After working here as an lpn I'd never go back
Loved my residents and the fellow nurses but management was terrible. Scheduling was all over the map. I would get an Email the day before saying I work at 6am not asking if I can work. Id get it at 5pm call in right away and the scheduler would be off work and not answer. If couldn't make the shift I got written up. Not professional. They cut alot of safety corners I felt bad for the residents
Pros
Loved the residents
Cons
Poor management
Constantly changing environment
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  BC6 May 2015
Working for Retirement Concepts is a good experience if you are good with constant changes. If you can constantly adjust and change processes and are not one who is requiring routine and firm corporate structure to perform - working for this company may be a frustration for you.

It is a growing company that as it grows is learning new processes are required and a catch up situation seems to be ongoing.

Depending on your role - this may not affect you.

Enjoying working with seniors is a must if you work on any Retirement Concepts site. It is wonderful is you enjoy it. If you don't enjoy that aspect, then working at one of the residences is not for you.
Pros
Working with seniors and people who care about seniors
Cons
Company is growing quickly, staffing/management/HO change overs
former employee
lpn (Former Employee) –  nanaimo24 March 2015
Over worked and under staffed very stressful environment. They staff with students and do not cover sick calls or give ot. Management is shady.
Pros
great people
Cons
too many to list
What are Curve Balls?
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 January 2015
Everyday I am presented with a new project that is challenging yet exhilirating knowing that when it is completed by me, my Team will be happy, less stressed and then its onto the next curve ball or target I hit!
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No ability to move forward
coworkers
Health Care Assistant, Assistance (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC28 May 2014
great teamwork and co workers I had a great time working their with my team mates
Professional, helpful
Administrative support (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC4 November 2013
lots of assignments
great opportunity to learn new skills
weekly pay day is great
Pros
they have a great reputation
laundry/housekeeping
Housekeeper/Laundry (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC7 October 2013
worked 4 days on 4 days off 9 hrs a day laundry lifting 50 pound bags of laundry and delivering clean laundry to the floors l also cleaned rooms bathrooms,dust,beds swept and mopped
Pros
2 breaks and lunch
Cons
9hrs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Retirement Concepts. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6