Restoration Hardware

Restoration Hardware Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Terrible management - False expectations
Sales Assocaite (Former Employee), TorontoJune 5, 2013
Pros: discount is nice. all non-management are great.
Cons: cult like. poor pay. minimal hours, never can be fulltime.
The typical work day included judgemental stares of your attire. Regardless of the high end brand names. Your are still given the once over and usually attacked for hair being out of place, a shoe needing polishing or your pants a shade to their disliking. Meanwhile, company dresscode (Business Casual) and is outlined on a poor sheet filled with images – more... of models wearing clothing from Banana Republic. Bottom line nothing is good enough and is based on opinions from management and favoritism. Push, Push PUSH to sell is the main goal. Forget all the ideas, goals and excitement they preach in meetings and the ideologies of the core values. It all comes down to SELL. Meet the quota with no incentive by the way or else face being penalized and of course losing hours. As an abusive bullying tactic hours are used as collateral. Take vacation that you've been planning for years, come home and for the next month you receive minimal hours as a lesson to show you to never disobey management. The hardest part is seeing the company for what it really is and realizing the tactics and mind control used to keep you where they want you. Your sucked in to think its an amazing design position when its a sales job. At the end you meet some great sales staff like yourself and thats it. – less
Don't do it
Leader (Former Employee), Bayview, Toronto ONJune 3, 2013
Pros: discount on product
Cons: everything else
So many times while working here I thought to myself, I would rather be scrubbing puke off of a public bathroom floor than be here. The core values only apply when the store leader can use them against you. You will always be wrong in any scenario. You will NOT have a life. Leaving restoration hardware was the best choice I ever made. Please- if you – more... have any self esteem, don't apply. McDonald's pays the same if you need the money. – less
Great Staff, Horrible Leaders/Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 3, 2013
Pros: sales staff is amazing.
Cons: poor leadership and head office control, poor salary, high expectations
Pushed to sell, make daily quotas, penalized for not making sales. No place to advance. Minimal hours given, they hire too many PT employees to compete over hours. Management from head office comes down too hard on store leaders causing a trickle effect of animosity and negative attitudes. Co-workers on the sales floor are amazing, one thing restoration – more... hardware knows how to do is attract and obtain amazing people who are better than the position hired. Hardest part is trying to make a living while working there unless you are a manager/leader who gets full time. Otherwise you dedicate so much yet see nothing in return. You cant live off 10 hours a week. – less

June 5, 2013

I used to work at a Toronto location and I am glad to be out of there. Everyday there was a day wasted that I wish I could get back. Its sad to see that there are others out there who have the same regards towards the place.

Good company, many great people to work with.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 6, 2013
Good company, many great people to work with. Some design experience.
Exciting and energizing job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Yonge Street Toronto, OntarioNovember 11, 2011
Pros: every morning meetings, we would have games related to core values, or getting to know you!
Cons: no promising full time job
The store has a homey and friendly environment. It caters to high end customers in majority who understands the beauty of restored furnishings with taste. Training was very good on how to meet the changing demands of our customers. They had product knowledge catalogues for us to learn & most of their Senior Employees were very generous helping us with – more... the products, placing orders & more. RH owns a wonderful core values that reflects their employees who had worked with them for many years. And new ones whether full-timer or part- timer have to learn the corporate values.
I enjoyed entertaining our customer's "furry children" who shops along with them and alot of them. So we made sure that we have on stock of pet treats by the register. It was a wonderful experience working with RH even for a few months. – less
A Different Experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Tracy, CADecember 13, 2014
I worked at RH as a Customer Care Rep for only 3 months; shortest time length I've ever spent at a job. There was good and bad like any other job. Whether the good will outweigh the bad, that's up to you.This is how it was for me:

-Long hours: Sometimes the days would fly by, other times seems like it was never ending.

-Coworkers: my coworkers were – more... AWESOME. I can't say anything bad about them! Everyone was super friendly. Though I don't work here anymore, I do miss the people.

-Pay: the pay wasn't too bad! If you like to collect as much overtime as possible, they definitely love to give out a lot of OT.

-Dress code: You can be casual! You can wear jeans as long as there's no rips, of course. Flip flops are fine too.

-Schedule: They have what's called "shift bids" once every so many months. You want a better shift? Your QA score has to be high enough for a certain amout of time to be able to get the shift you want. But then again, the shift you want may not even be listed as an option at that time. Which sucked...

-Requesting time off: There are a lot of black-out dates where you can't request time off. If you want to try to get a day off, chances are it's going to fall on a black-out date.

The reason why I threw in the towel and left this place...

Constant ESCALATED customers! I understand it's a call center and you hear most of the bad over the good, but the bad was bad. Real bad. We had to follow protocol, and even as a CSR I didn't agree with a lot of the policies, but had to stand behind them. And we couldn't defend ourselves or ask the customer to calm down or anything, cause it would count against us. You get the nastiest people on the phone calling you any name and taking everything out on you, and you just have to take it. You can forward the call to a supervisor if they ask to speak to one, but half the time supervisors wouldn't take the call and you're left switching back and forth between the supervisor and this customer who is now throwing a tantrum over everything.

You hear a ton of issues with items arriving damaged for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th time with the same customer. At that point even as a rep, I'm frustrated along with them. A lot of things were unnacceptable. Shipping costs for some items were nuts also, and we would lose a lot of customers due to shipping cost alone. It became very tiring not only being treated like a human punching bag by irate customers, but also having to stand behind these lame policies. Supervisors would tell us to "let them call you names and talk down to you; they pay us a lot of money so if they want to vent and take it all out on you, just listen." That may be cool for some people, but it's not for me. It became overwhelming and I had to get out fast.

Overall the pay was good, coworkers were a lot of fun. If you don't mind being treated very poorly by customers and having to own bad situations and standing behind rules that don't make much sense, this could be the place for you. – less
Worst management I've ever worked under
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Pleasant PrairieDecember 12, 2014
Pros: a paycheck
Cons: management and culture
A typical day at work varies. Usually its to run around and take orders from an arrogant and overly pretentious customer base who will waste no time verbally abusing you or treating you like you are beneath them.

Despite the poor aspects of the job, you'll find that the amount of work you do in any one particular day makes every job after it easy by – more... comparison. It mentally prepares you for some of the worst humanity has to offer.

Management is terrible. Absolutely terrible. If you fail to appease your overlord he or she will waste no time removing your hours from future schedules to "teach you a lesson". There is absolutely no flexibility in scheduling as Restoration Hardware assumes that they are your absolute priority above all else. Do you have a second job, or school? Tough luck because that comes second and if you try to trade shifts with a co-worker to work around a day requested off for school a month prior, you'll most likely get pulled into an office and have your integrity questioned for 20 minutes.

Co-workers always start out as optimists and almost always follow one of two paths. Either you pretend to abide by the RH corporate culture, or you live and breath it. If you live and breath it, you eventually turn into a boy/girl scout who is used by your Store manager to rat out anyone else not following Corporate Culture policies 100%.

Hardest part of the job is really a combination of the above mentioned. Due to poor management there is a constant shortage of staff as there is a high turnover which means a large work load put on everyone working. Couple that with frequent event sales which draw in a large customer base and a very unforgiving store culture and a terrible customer base and you wind up burning out fast.

Despite all of the negative there are some positive aspects. 99% of the customer base are terrible excuses for human beings, but there are a few that make the job worth it. You get to know your clients on a first name basis. Your co-workers usually realize you're in it together and if at all possible try to help if necessary despite the usual lack of team work. – less
A company focused on making money
Care Center Advocate (Former Employee), Tracy, CADecember 5, 2014
While making money is a great thing, this company is only focused on just that. A typical day of work is, finding a seat, answering calls, and helping customers with any problems or needs they may have. I've learned to expand my customer service skills and better myself in ways to be more efficient with helping them. Management has only one thing in – more... mind: money. If you aren't making the company as much money as possible, you're either gone or you better get your act together quickly. Management isn't an advocate for you or help you to get better. They are there to make sure you are making the company money. I enjoyed helping customers. Being able to talk to customers from both Canada and across the United States. Being able to help customers add to their homes and help them choose the best product to fit their needs and desires was my favorite part – less
customer service
Sales Lead (Former Employee), Walnut Creek, CANovember 17, 2014
Pros: helping guests
Cons: work hours and management
typical day was assisting guests find and purchase beautiful items for their home
supportive and fun place to work
Customer Service/Sales (Former Employee), Scottsdale, AZNovember 17, 2014
I loved working for this company, although I only worked part time for a short while. The team spirit and adaptability of co-workers was remarkable and the management was very supportive. Positive people with a good attitude really make a difference in the work experience.
Great place enviornment to work; forever changing, so nothing gets old or boring
Design Associate (Current Employee), Red Bank, NJNovember 16, 2014
Cons: constantly changing schedule, must work weekends, advancement has become increasingly more challenging
This is a retail job, no matter what anyone ever says. It never stops and it is typically fast paced. I started as part time sales, as a temporary job until I found the prefect fit in a design firm, however almost 4 years later I have found myself very happy and successful with RH. The group of people that work in my gallery, are great; we are all dedicated – more... and hardworking so it makes getting along easy. I love meeting new people every day, and also love the ability to design an entire home down to picking out the perfect doorbell for someone. – less
Interesting Workplace with a gym
Customer Care Advocate (Current Employee), West Jefferson, OHNovember 7, 2014
Pros: lots of potlucks, nice employees
Cons: not a flexible schedule, don't get to talk to management much, outdated systems
A typical work day involves answering the phones, sending emails, responding to customer complaints and much more. I learned that it is always best to work to understand the customer and help them in the best way you can. I always make sure to fully understand the problem so I know exactly how to fix it. Management is not really interactive with the – more... employees, they usually stay in their offices and to themselves. They are not very understanding if someone is in school, and not really willing to work with employees on their schedules, even if the employee is part time. The hardest part of the job is dealing with complicated issues where the customer is not happy with the product they received because I want to make sure that I can help them with the situation full and correctly. Another hard part is that they are not willing to work with employees who are enrolled in school. The most enjoyable part of the job are the other employees, as they are very nice and help each other out. – less
Soul Sucking
Sales Manager (Current Employee), Pleasant Prairie, WINovember 5, 2014
Cons: management is awful
Long work days
Everyone for them selves
NO team work environment
Over worked and underpaid...

Coming from a Store "leader"
Awful experience
Management is only interested in making itself look good
Photo Sample Coordinator (Former Employee), Corte Madera, CANovember 5, 2014
Pros: laid-back environment
Cons: interdepartmental miscommunication and lack of a focus/common goal
The corporate culture is all about appearance and no substance.
Resto Review
Photo Studio Coordinator (Current Employee), CAOctober 29, 2014
I enjoyed working at restoration hardware but I am looking for a job that is more along the lines of my academic studies.
Bad Place to work
CSC (Former Employee), Grand PrairieOctober 27, 2014
Pros: clean
Cons: managers
This place is overwhelming with escalated customers.
Most of what RH sends out is either wrong or broken.

Management is unfair unless you are on their good list, and you have to beg to be on this list. From HR to management.
Part-time design
Design Associate (Former Employee), Winter Park, FLOctober 17, 2014
Pros: inspring atompshere, cool furniture, great team.
Cons: not enough hours and pay vs. performace.
Each day I came in was there was always something new. The management team was awesome. The overall atmosphere was a very laid back sales environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was designing spaces for customers. The hardest part was my paycheck.
Great customer service team with fun work ethics
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Tracy, CAOctober 17, 2014
Pros: uplifting enviornment, opportunity to make conusmers happy
Cons: i have no complaints about restoration hardware, it was a great work experience.
On a typical day at restoration hardware my goal would be to answer about ten incoming customer service calls an hour. I learned to have patience, to greater my customer service skills, and to adapt to a changing face paced environment. I would have to say the hardest part about the job would be adapting to all the multitasking but it was something – more... that I perfected. I enjoyed working at restoration hardware because I had great coworkers and management, and I also enjoy helping customer fulfill their needs and make them happy. – less
high turn over
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee), Tracy, CAOctober 7, 2014
overwhelming with escalated customers
how to defuse an escalated situation and calm an irate customer
management is fair
very organized place to work. Friendly co-workers
Forklift Operator (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDOctober 5, 2014
My job tittle require me to be very focus on driving and my aware of my surroundings. Thios job keep you busy and make your day go by very fast.

1 2 3 4 5

About Restoration Hardware

Restoration Hardware is a luxury brand in the home furnishings marketplace offering furniture, lighting, textiles, bathware, décor, – Read more

Restoration Hardware Photos