Research In Motion

Research In Motion Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great place with high coworker respect
RF Technician (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONNovember 9, 2013
Pros: dollar lunch and awards on the spot
Friendly environment with high potential to learn and improve skills. Multicultural working place with high respect between coworkers.
Highly engaging interactive environment, with a good work/life balance.
Software Developer for Mobile Voice Systems team (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 6, 2013
Pros: flexible timings, gym memberships, helpful colleagues, social environment
Cons: would've enjoyed a bigger collocated team (as there were only two of us)
My typical day at work:
Being in an Agile environment, we would start off with a daily SCRUM and outline any obstacles, accomplishments we've made. I would ask for and offer help where needed.
Once the meeting is complete, we would engage with the team in picking up our daily tasks and work in a highly interactive environment to accomplish the tasks – more... in a multi-disciplinary team. The tasks would be bug fixes, customer escalations, support, requirement refining with the product managers, features work (either independent or working with a team-mate).

What I learned:
I learned teamwork, accountability, producing solid solutions and code, Java, C++, QT, time management, Telephony.

The management was fairly hands-off as the team was always self-motivated setting strict targets and deadlines which were in sync with product. Managers were great at dealing with other teams when requirements needed to get across.

The co-workers were fun to be around, and were very supportive and helpful when getting things done, or just bouncing off ideas. It mostly didn't feel like work.

The toughest part about the job was dealing with constantly changing requirements from product/customers and shortened timelines. Though, it was a challenge that was worth overcoming every time because the rewards of satisfying the customers was high.

The most enjoyable part of the job were the people, and the social interactions, especially as there were multiple locations. Finding solutions to complex problems while engaged with multiple engineers, especially when dealing with so many environment parameters was always fun. – less
Good company not in good shape currently
Software Developer (Current Employee), OttawaNovember 5, 2013
Pros: good to learn new knowledge
Cons: not safte
Good company not in good shape currently,
Good to learn new knowledge
Not safte
Watch the stock market!
Asselmbly worker (Former Employee), WaterlooNovember 1, 2013
I was either on continental, or rotating shifts. Those shifts force one to manage their time well in order to embrace daily life.
Dynamic and challenging environment
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 30, 2013
Dynamic environment that provided employees with the opportunity to display their own initiative and creativity.
Good company for internship
Embedded Software Developer (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 28, 2013
It's a good company for an intern student to start with. Co-workers are nice to work with. They're willing to share their knowledge, and the company culture is much better than its management.
Productive and Knowledgeable work place
Wireless Protocol Tester (Co-op) (Former Employee), waterloo, onOctober 26, 2013
Everyone is helpful but sometimes management is not so good.
good company
Compliance line inspector (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 23, 2013
A well organized place to work, with well defined tasks and co-operative team members. Among other things, it also gave me a chance to improve my English.
good
Data Administrator (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONOctober 23, 2013
Pros: driving
Cons: regular houers
good place to work ,very good people, awesome coworkers.
God pay, provide free courses,training
Great company. too bad it is not doing Good
Millimeter wave characterization co-op student (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 21, 2013
Enjoyed my technical work and the team I worked with over there. But there financial troubles started to impact there technical decisions by the time i was leaving. Hope it improves soon.
Great place to work, too bad they're closing remote offices.
Senior Analyst - BlackBerry Technical Support team (Current Employee), Bedford, Nova ScotiaOctober 21, 2013
Pros: corporate issued blackberry device, with the option of getting invited to test beta devices.
Cons: due to cost cutting measures, the nova scotia office is closing.
BlackBerry (formerly Research In Motion) has been a great place to work. The work atmosphere has been open and relaxed, and the employee benefits have been top notch.

I only wish they were able to keep the Nova Scotia office open.
Good company to work for
Software Test Developer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 15, 2013
It's a good company to work for. Even though it has been facing many challenges, it is still considered as one of the best companies in Canada. The company and its culture is fair.
Fast past tech company
Analyst - Manufacturing & Supply Chain Finance (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 14, 2013
Company offered a lot of room for career advancement at first, but as company performance reduced from market pressures so did the opportunities. Fun company, learned a lot.
Inventory Coordinator / Acting Inventory Analyst (Former Employee), Waterloo, Ontario, CanadaOctober 10, 2013
Pros: no shift work
Cons: hard to make any changes in procedure
Worked in a fast paced environment with many well educated and talented people.
Typical day varied depending on the current production requirements.
Hardest part of the job was trying to make any beneficial changes due to too many levels of management
Employee (Current Employee), WaterlooOctober 8, 2013
Pros: location
Cons: culture, management
The organizational culture needs to be transformed in order to retain and attract employees.
Cool treats after few weeks
BLUETOOTH INTEROPERABILITY TESTER (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 8, 2013
Pros: environment
Cons: work on weekends
Work cultures is pretty good and its a complete balance with professional work as well.
Enjoyed working with my leaders.
Team Administrator (Former Employee), WaterlooOctober 7, 2013
Great place to work, treated fairly. My leaders were all outstanding to work for as they wanted their teams to learn and grow.

Hoping the best for everyone still working there.
shift work
Electronic assembler (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 3, 2013
The rotating shifts are a bit hard on a person and i didn't enjoy that.
Great company to work with over the past years
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 3, 2013
- I have been able to use and build on my Operations skills.
- Its been exciting to be able to use devices from the Beta team
compnay going to a downturn but provides an excellent environment with great work-life balance and productive atmosphere.
Business Development Manager (Current Employee), MississaugaSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: flexible working hours
Cons: company uncertainty
Typical day work involves meetings, conference calls with partners across the globe, eventual travelling but a balanced work-personal life style.

My key takeaway was learning different aspects of the business in different projects and roles in 5 years working at Blackberry.

Management style depends on the project. It can be micro-management focused – more... or more empowerment style, where workers will have more accountability and autonomy to make decisions.

Co-Workers are great team workers and do not measure efforts to provide support if required. Hi educated professionals with above the average skills.

Hardest part of the job , from my perspective, is to deal with the uncertainties.

Most enjoyable part of my job is the flexibility. – less