Research In Motion

Research In Motion Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fast paced working environment
Software Developer (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 13, 2014
Pros: the pace of the work environment was dynamic, fluid, exciting, exhilrating.
Cons: less job security. the leadership, lacking vision, direction, and insight into the marketplace. too many leaders contaminated the organization.
A great environment where employees are encouraged to take risks, and develop new technologies. Direction from management is typically "We need to accomplish this - figure out how to do it, do it, then report back to me". Independent thinking is encouraged.
Was a very unique place to work
Tooling/MRO Buyer Mechanical Engineering (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 12, 2014
Pros: free blackberry and service
It has changed a lot over the past 13 years, its not the same place and it will continue to change, I just hope it makes it through the turnround.
Day to day work
Junior Software QA Tester (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 11, 2014
I worked to create Requirement based test matrix, created test case, executed test case and also find the defects of the application for developer team.
Great culture
VPN Security Test Specialist (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 8, 2014
Pros: lots of discounts
Cons: management changes a lot
Work culture was awesome here.
Learned different QA tools
co-workers are very supportive and progressive
lots of challenges available to work on
Director (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 8, 2014
Pros: salary, benefits, bonus pay, culture
Cons: work life balance, stress
Really enjoyed working at BlackBerry. I was given a lot of opportunities and the pay and benefits were fantastic.
Free cell phone and service
Product Quality Engineer/Engineering Specialist (Former Employee), KanataJune 6, 2014
Pros: free cell phone
Cons: business down sized
We all were given free cell phones and service. It was good to work there.
Changing culture and undergoing restructuring
Sr. Manager, KM, Collaboration and Portals (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 4, 2014
Pros: working toward a 'fun' environment with regular hackathons, pinball, lunches and fun days.
Cons: very long hours, uncertain future for employment and the company
Working at BlackBerry in the past couple of years has been stressful and challenging. Employees pulled together as a team to support and follow two new eras of CEO's and while things do seem to be turning around, it is still uncertain times. While this provides opportunity for many individuals to learn how to work hard to try to make a difference and – more... support a turnaround, it is also challenging and stressful. Many employees are uncertain about their future and not confident that their job is stable. – less
BlackBerry is fun and interesting work place
3GPP Compliance Associate (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 3, 2014
I have learned lot about wireless communication industry and gained knowledge software industry and its working culture
Was an excellent company to work for till the layoffs.
RF Firmware Developer (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 1, 2014
Pros: the work was interesting and fun with great coworkers.
Cons: the layoffs, anxiety during last years.
Was an excellent company to work for. Good place to learn and develop yourself with excellent co-workers. Unfortunately, it was very difficult for the company to compete with the big ones, and most of the people in my area were laid off.
Good environment for employees
Materials Operator (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 28, 2014
Received lots of training, Co-workers are very co-operative
Challenging and rewarding
Core App Java Developer, Co-op (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBMay 25, 2014
Pros: salary is very attractive
Cons: poor corporate management
The project was challenging, and the job is rewarding which is great.
Returning to success
Analyst - Premier Support (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 25, 2014
The last few years have been tough; but seeing a positive turn in management direction
A Lead hand for 9 months
Material Operator & Production Prime (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 23, 2014
I was a lead hand for 9 months so that they would not be short. was thanked for my job
IT desktop support for manufacturing
IT Desktop Support Specialist - Global (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 23, 2014
• Technical support for 17000+ end users (local office, production and global production employees via phone, e-mail, in person, ticketing system and remote administration)
• Develop clear documentation to add to our support database for technical training.
• Verbally simplify highly technical issues with end users.
• Provide technical support to users – more... for Windows XP, 2000 and Windows 7 Operating systems with some Mac and Linux experience.
• New PC hardware and software deployments including
• Troubleshooting MS Office\ Exchange Issues rebuilding user profiles and Exchange Mail accounts.
• We dealt extensively with Oracle 10/11g issues both remotely and locally using VNC (ie: Repair\install\reinstall along with all required prerequisites then testing that the device can TNSping the database) I also have personal experience with both TeamViewer and LogMeIn
• Imaging\Backup\reload and configure of PC’s and user data using Symantec Ghost and other tools. – less
Learning Experience
Collections Associate (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 6, 2014
Pros: new area of experience
Cons: poor pay and job security
Typical day at work started off with reviewing your list of priority collections and due dates. Prioritizing and deciding what action to take on the accounts in the 30-60 day and 45-90 day range. Once you made the necessary actions on the oldest accounts you then started to make contact with as many of the 15-30 day accounts as you could to start the – more... collection process off immediately to capture payments so these accounts would not move further.

There really wasn't any environment for fostering co-worker relationships, you sat in a cubical from am to pm with very little interaction.

The best part about this position was I learned how to deal with customer/clients on many levels extensively. I did have one of the highest success rates in our department for collecting overdue accounts. I took great pride in my ability to work well with customers and resolve issues for them as well as the company.

I really didn't like the lack of security, almost all positions in this department were on a month to month basis through temporary placements. – less
Very relaxed place to work with and a very healthy environment
Student Software Developer (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMay 6, 2014
A day in the life of a student software developer consisted of sitting in a cubicle trying to debug through code and come up with tests to check if the code is working correctly.

Learned and improved on OOP (Object Oriented Programming) and also a few skills on how the BES system worked.

The team that I personally worked with were really friendly – more... and outgoing and always had events. It was a fun environment and and a very effective team since everyone knew about everyone's work and were always available to help.

There were no hard things about this work only other than the first few weeks where I had to catch up on the things that were left for me by the previous coop.

Loved playing pool and foosball on Fridays with coworkers. – less
Pretty professional
software developer (Former Employee), WaterlooMay 5, 2014
I enjoyed working in this company a lot, though some aspects were not so so.

The requirements are just at the right level for entry-level programmers/students/intern guys

It is a good place to start your career
A place to work, grow and contribute to success
TL - R&D (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 5, 2014
Pros: career enhancement
Cons: sometime good technical folks promotted to management and they start performing bad.
Super friendly people and place ever.
If you bring your best to your work, you can get whatever you want, everything can be approved for you.
Very friendly management team, but sometime it can be slow in making decision, which is no longer the case now.
Co-workers are very friendly and laugh with you at all the time.
The company treat its employees – more... very very nice. – less
Fast paced, but comfortable environment
Shipping Specialist (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONMay 5, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits, despite the situation
Cons: it's still a struggling company.... which outsourced and cut my job.
This company has treated me well. I've been well paid, received great benefits and although I failed to advance in the company due to position cancellations and lay-offs, I still feel the company wants me to succeed.

The work environment, outside the fear of job loss, is pleasant. They try hard to make a pleasant atmosphere. Management wants everyone – more... to succeed, learn and grow.

I enjoy the paperwork, interacting with third parties and really find satisfaction when I do my job well, and shipments move out smoothly.

Some days a very stressful, interacting with parts of the company that do not understand a shipping timeline. We cannot pick, wrap and ship 30 pallets on the same day, so we do the best we can.

I've learned so much from this company, about business, about interaction, about software, logistics, regulations and customs. – less
Innovative company that encourages education and career advancement
Warehouse Operator (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 5, 2014
A pleasure to work with employees that assist one another easily as a team. Competitive wages, with a great work environment and culture.

Research In Motion Photos