RELIANCE PROTECTRON

RELIANCE PROTECTRON Employee Reviews in Canada

interesting and a lot of hard work
Technician Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 29, 2016
A typical day of work consisted of going to new places everyday and installing cameras and dealing with problems along the way. I learned what it took to be a good employee and I would say made me a better and more diligent worker. Hardest part of the job was the physical labour, and the part I enjoyed the most was wiring and terminating lines.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Long hours (never really know when you are gonna finish0
Restez loin
Agents, centre d'appels (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 12, 2016
Une entreprise incompétente a tous les niveaux. À recommander pour les gens ayant envie de travailler dans un environnement désagréable, sale et très stresse.
Pros
Shift est terminée.
Cons
Aller à y travailler.
Strong management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 8, 2015
The service they offer to client and the way the always innovate is a strong suit of their. The most enjoyable part of the job was how we could monitor thing in real time
Pros
Easy job
Cons
schedule is 7 days straight 7 days off 10 hours shift
Great Co-workers and Managers
Alarm Monitoring Agent (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJuly 23, 2015
I worked a 7 days on, 7 days off shift rotation, with 10 hour shifts. It was great to have so much free time in a row, however it made it difficult to build a routine.

Work involved calling clients when their alarm systems tripped, and advised them of the situation.

The hardest part was dealing with upset customers. Due to the size of the company, there are many different departments, and often long hold time.

Many customers complained that the other departments were not doing their job very well, and I got sick of dealing with the aftermath of their mistakes
Pros
Lots of overtime opportunity
Degrading, oppressive employer
Monitoring Operator (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJuly 21, 2015
Despite having a quarterly bonus, this job was completely lacking any kind of reward or sense of accomplishment. Quarterly reviews point out each of your flaws, as well as repeatedly drawing attention any previous demerits that may prevent you from getting the quarterly bonus. Reviews which come closer to the qualifying score are examined more closely than others, resulting in a reward that is always just out of reach.

Employer is extremely rigid about the 70-hour work week, and refuses to allow any modifications for your schedule, family, or health concerns. Days off must be booked annually in spring, except in rare cases.

If you are a new employee, you will probably end up working a night shift. If you can't handle the night shift, you will be fired.
Pros
Lots of free time
Cons
70-hour work week, oppressive review system, no care for employee health needs, no choice of scheduling
worst place to work unless you are completly nuts.
Monitoring Operator (Former Employee) –  OttawaApril 17, 2015
i worked at this place for 5years and there is lack of managment,you are just an operator number ours starts with ''OC'' for ottawa central,you are criticized for EVERYTHING and you have no chance to grow as an individual as everything is ''team oriented'',you will be ''coached'' on the regular but the coachings are to tell you how ''bad you are doing'' never what you do RIGHT,I am relieved i no longer work at this place......made great friends but that is IT.
Pros
paid lunches
Cons
long hours/you are just a number to the bosses
Productive and a fun learning environment
Senior Emergency Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver BCMarch 7, 2015
This environment of this job was a call centre, so the main priority was answering calls in a timely manner and assisting clients with needs. A typical day at work involved calling and notifying individuals if their alarm went off, sending police/fire/ambulance in the event of emergencies. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely being around such wonderful people. After working for this company for two years I gained ever lasting friendships. Before I got hired at Reliance Protectron, I had never worked at a call centre, so I definitely gained more knowledge on how that type of environment works, how to have proper phone etiquette, and defusing/handling situations!
Good experience
Technical Support Operator (Current Employee) –  ottawa, ontarioFebruary 9, 2015
- answered calls all day to help with technical problems with alarm systems
- assisted with installations

- great place to learn how to work with a team
- learnt how to manager work and to work fast
fun people but awful management
Operator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCDecember 30, 2014
Overall, I had a good time working there. Co workers were great but the management is awful. This is why I left. Disorganized, careless and not helpful at all.
Pros
fun co workers
Cons
wage, management
Company overview
Director Operations Excellence (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 27, 2014
Incorporated in 1988 and headquartered in Montreal, Quebec, Reliance Protectron Inc. is Canada's largest privately owned security monitoring and installation Company. It employs over 1,000 qualified professionals and 250 subcontractors and dealers who specialize in the selling, installing, servicing and monitoring of electronic security systems for more than 400,000 residential, commercial, industrial and wholesale subscribers nationwide and generates over $175M dollars in annual revenue.
Pros
flexible and occasional remote working schedules
Cons
lack of learning opportunities
there is always something new to learn
Technical Trainer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 23, 2014
Great company to work for. 2015 would be my 15th year working there. Great work environment. Good work ethics. Great management team.
Pros
flexible hours
Management and Job culture
Security Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 5, 2014
The company shows moments of difficulties at the moment. There is a great lack of management and support. After the acquisition made ​​by ADT, the company changes weekly working tools, such as prices and equipment. The installation service has become very slow and procedures after contracts are more difficult to accomplish in time without affecting the date of installation.
There are more and more frustrated because after the sale you should always check with the office if everything goes well and does not need any additional information because the facility could be canceled without preventing the sales agent.
Largest Canadian monitoring company
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, OntarioAugust 5, 2014
Great team to work with. Extremely competitive with lots of incentive bonuses.
If you're looking for a job where your voice will be heard, look away.
monitoring representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 19, 2014
Alright, lets break it down. This review is for the monitoring station.

Typical day at work:

If you actually do your job: the "chiefs" will throw all the work your way, regardless of how useless other operators are being. This place is under staffed, the work ethic is terrible, people think treating 1 signal entitles them to a break when there are 10 min+ delays.

If you are lazy: Join now! you will get paid as much as the guys mentioned above and do just about NONE of the work!

There also doesn't seem to be any hiring standards here. We have people who I have no idea how they passed their interview with such personalities. I have seen things done by other operators where I just hold my head in awe. We are an alarm company that deal with possible life or death situations, and we have operators who will not treat their signals. Even when they are caught doing it, they don't get in trouble, can you believe it?

What I learned:

Hard work is shrugged off by superiors yet the smallest mistakes calls for some bashing to give the ones who do nothing, something to do. The structure for this job is horrible. For all you potential job seekers, there are 9 levels for operators, at the moment, all 9 levels PAY THE SAME yet each level adds workloads to your day. Apparently less than 2 years ago everyone had to treat the same variety of signals, so now you have senior staff doing all the work and new staff doing 1/9th of the work for practically the same pay. There is also a lot of injustice, raises and bonuses are not your typical ones, you will see people who do not work and who are
  more... at a lower level get higher raises and better schedules. If you ask about it they will all answer you that they have no control over that.

Scheduling is terrible as well, they advertise being able to offer you a flexible schedule but they will hand you what they need and its take it or leave it.

Management:

Oh boy... Have you read the previous reviews about Ottawa's management? Of all the companies I've worked for... The management here is the absolute WORST. These guys take it easy breezy all day in their little corners, occasionally getting up to invade employees' space while their working. Rather than blocking the internet since the company has an intranet, they try and sneak up behind you to catch you using the internet when there's nothing happening work wise. Complaints are sent from one person to the other, then to the recycling bin, and the cycle restarts. If you show that you have a voice, the next thing you know is that we're receiving an e-mail from the call center supervisor announcing that you are now a considered a member of the public. Performance reviews are a joke, the way it works here will blow your mind. You can treat 1000 signals that require no phone calls, and you will get no bonus, the next guy can treat 10 signals that all required 1 phone call, and he will get his bonus. Make sense? They have chiefs called QM's for every shift that overlook operations and treatment of the queue, apparently they insure that all operators are doing their fair share.. but get ready to get disappointed again! There are ways to avoid working, I've seen many do it, I've tried it myself, and they never catch on.

Co-workers:

Most of my co-workers are amazing people. There are a few oddballs, some who don't realize how annoying they really are, and ofcourse, the "I don't care" slackers who the bare minimum and get away with everything else. But by far, the fellow operators would be the MAIN reason to work here.

Hardest part of the job:

Coming in for another shift where everything listed above will apply. And its usually the case.

Most enjoyable part of the job:

Sadly, at this point, its leaving.

In summary, if your career goals are "a jobs a job", look elsewhere. You will get paid just about the same at a no name department store and will have to handle a fraction of the stress. Just to give you one final example: My hiring class had 9 people, within less than 6 months, 7 left for reasons listed above. Each subsequent class have had similar luck. A fellow senior coworker was offered a higher paying job, and he offered to stay if they could match the salary... this is the best part. THEY DIDNT EVEN ANSWER HIM. Pretty much a silent "BYE!"

If you're looking for a career here. Get ready to feel like a 50's house wife... like your dreams don't count and your opinion doesn't matter.
Pros
some coworkers
Cons
almost everything
Building a Customer relationship is paramount
SALES REPRESENTATIVE - Territory, British Columbia (Former Employee) –  SurreyFebruary 6, 2014
- Create needs analysis to determine customers
need.

- I learned that if a customer like you they will
buy from you.

- Management was good

- Co-workers were knowledgeable

- Hardest part of job was not having product
needed.

- Enjoyable part of job was, keeping customer
informed, and closing.
The Rating isn't the best but do not get me wrong I like the job
Advertiser/ Sales Rep/ Traveling Tech (Current Employee) –  Cole Harbour, NSNovember 18, 2013
Basically It's a part time thing now. I'm doing it only part time so that I can find a new job. It just is not for me anymore. I do service calls, troubleshoot over the phone, I make sales, and I install security systems.
People are great, Job is interesting, management is garbage.
Account Creation/Data/EMS (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 20, 2013
The staff are amazing people, some of the best I've ever worked with. The job is interesting, changes every day. Small oportunities to grow as most people have been there for quite a long time. Management is awful. They micro-manage, treat you poorly, almost never applaud a good job done, and absolutely refuse to assist in the work/life balance. I would have stayed with this company if management cared a little more about my mental well being. Great place to work if you're able to ignore management conatantly beating you down.
Pros
amazing co-workers
Cons
awful management, long hours and a lot of mandatory overtime.
Productive, Fast paced and amazing team
Operational Efficiency Team (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 25, 2013
Micro-Management environment, not a problem with this type of work.

Really enjoy working there, have to bring different ideas. Not one day is the same. Challenges everyday

Very face paced environment that requires amazing team work.

I love working has a team and being able to share my knowledge with others.
Pros
amazing staff
Cons
under payed for the workload
Great place to work !
Alarm Monitoring Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 14, 2013
Great place to work ! Only complaint is the odd working hours
Fun workplace, great surrey office team.
Residential Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCApril 20, 2013
Flexible hours in sales.
A very good surrey team, you will get full support.
Overall a good company to work with.
Pros
good company to work with.
Cons
i like to see more in house techs, very hard to get referrals from your customers, too much red tapism

2.9