RELIANCE PROTECTRON Employee Review

View all RELIANCE PROTECTRON reviews

If you're looking for a job where your voice will be heard, look away.
monitoring representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 March 2014
Alright, lets break it down. This review is for the monitoring station.

Typical day at work:

If you actually do your job: the "chiefs" will throw all the work your way, regardless of how useless other operators are being. This place is under staffed, the work ethic is terrible, people think treating 1 signal entitles them to a break when there are 10 min+ delays.

If you are lazy: Join now! you will get paid as much as the guys mentioned above and do just about NONE of the work!

There also doesn't seem to be any hiring standards here. We have people who I have no idea how they passed their interview with such personalities. I have seen things done by other operators where I just hold my head in awe. We are an alarm company that deal with possible life or death situations, and we have operators who will not treat their signals. Even when they are caught doing it, they don't get in trouble, can you believe it?

What I learned:

Hard work is shrugged off by superiors yet the smallest mistakes calls for some bashing to give the ones who do nothing, something to do. The structure for this job is horrible. For all you potential job seekers, there are 9 levels for operators, at the moment, all 9 levels PAY THE SAME yet each level adds workloads to your day. Apparently less than 2 years ago everyone had to treat the same variety of signals, so now you have senior staff doing all the work and new staff doing 1/9th of the work for practically the same pay. There is also a lot of injustice, raises and bonuses are not your typical ones, you will see people who do not work
  more... and who are at a lower level get higher raises and better schedules. If you ask about it they will all answer you that they have no control over that.

Scheduling is terrible as well, they advertise being able to offer you a flexible schedule but they will hand you what they need and its take it or leave it.

Management:

Oh boy... Have you read the previous reviews about Ottawa's management? Of all the companies I've worked for... The management here is the absolute WORST. These guys take it easy breezy all day in their little corners, occasionally getting up to invade employees' space while their working. Rather than blocking the internet since the company has an intranet, they try and sneak up behind you to catch you using the internet when there's nothing happening work wise. Complaints are sent from one person to the other, then to the recycling bin, and the cycle restarts. If you show that you have a voice, the next thing you know is that we're receiving an e-mail from the call center supervisor announcing that you are now a considered a member of the public. Performance reviews are a joke, the way it works here will blow your mind. You can treat 1000 signals that require no phone calls, and you will get no bonus, the next guy can treat 10 signals that all required 1 phone call, and he will get his bonus. Make sense? They have chiefs called QM's for every shift that overlook operations and treatment of the queue, apparently they insure that all operators are doing their fair share.. but get ready to get disappointed again! There are ways to avoid working, I've seen many do it, I've tried it myself, and they never catch on.

Co-workers:

Most of my co-workers are amazing people. There are a few oddballs, some who don't realize how annoying they really are, and ofcourse, the "I don't care" slackers who the bare minimum and get away with everything else. But by far, the fellow operators would be the MAIN reason to work here.

Hardest part of the job:

Coming in for another shift where everything listed above will apply. And its usually the case.

Most enjoyable part of the job:

Sadly, at this point, its leaving.

In summary, if your career goals are "a jobs a job", look elsewhere. You will get paid just about the same at a no name department store and will have to handle a fraction of the stress. Just to give you one final example: My hiring class had 9 people, within less than 6 months, 7 left for reasons listed above. Each subsequent class have had similar luck. A fellow senior coworker was offered a higher paying job, and he offered to stay if they could match the salary... this is the best part. THEY DIDNT EVEN ANSWER HIM. Pretty much a silent "BYE!"

If you're looking for a career here. Get ready to feel like a 50's house wife... like your dreams don't count and your opinion doesn't matter.
Pros
Some coworkers
Cons
Almost everything

Other RELIANCE PROTECTRON Employee Reviews

Professional environment
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 September 2017
Employees were always willing to take the time and help new staff. Very friendly environment and never had any problems while working there. Very good student job.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
In front of a computer screen all day, strained my eyes.
A great place to work
Order Desk clerk (Former Employee) –  St.Leonard, Montreal,QC14 June 2017
Working for this company gave me a great experience in data entry and sales. The staff and manager were very helpful and a great team to work with.The benefits are great it was just the schedule was not up to par.
Pros
Staff and benefits
Cons
The hours