Reitmans Fashion Group

Reitmans Fashion Group Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good part time job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONSeptember 2, 2013
Pros: good staff, good location, 50% clothing discount
Cons: part time with very minimal hours
A typical day at Reitmans consisted of assisting customers with finding clothing items they were looking for and building off that item to create an outfit. Example; a customer is looking for dress pants and maybe a shirt for an interview. I would show her our dress pants find out what style and cut she is looking for then move on to colour and pattern. Once we found pants she loves I would show her some dress shirts, cardigans, blazers and blouses to find out what style she is most comfortable in for an interview. Once we have determined a style I would help her find a colour that pops so she will stand out of the crowd and accessories to finish off the look.

When the store wasn't too busy I would unpack stock and put it out on the floor, create displays from our plan-o-gram and clean the store.

The staff at the store was a lot of fun to work with the managers were a blast we actually had game night once a month with the staff.

The thing I liked best about Reitmans was the clothing and my discount, we received 50% off everything in store. I also loved helping the customer find and awesome outfit and feel good about herself. The one thing I didn't like about the company was the hours I was hired as part time but I never really got any hours. I would go in for a 5 hour shift and they would tell me its not busy enough go home after 3 hours, i would get called constantly telling me my shift was cancelled because we weren't busy enough.
friendly staff, clean and fresh work environment, interactive
Fashion Associate (Former Employee), Regina SaskOctober 8, 2014
Pros: friendly staff
Cons: weekend and evening shifts, low pay
Reitmans is a fast-paced women's fashion retailer, promoting practical, trendy, affordable clothing for all body types. An employee is expected to dress professionally, possess expert product knowledge, work well with others, improve sales, reach target goals, and improve the shopping experience for the customers. I have grown to be more social and inept in the field of customer service. As a result, I have gained a deeper understanding for troubleshooting common customer concerns and complaints. I worked with a diverse group of employees, such as: students, homemakers, university graduates, other part-time employees who worked at Reitmans for a second Job, etc. The management was productive, effective, caring, knowledgeable, professional, encouraging and helpful. The hardest part of the job was troubleshooting common customer complaints. However, with an understanding of the policy and the customer's needs and wishes, I used my discretion to grant store credits and refunds. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the public in guaranteeing a pleasant shopping experience in order to promote sales and loyalty.
Reitmans Canada Limited
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Oakville, ONMay 12, 2015
Pros: fast paced, good client basis, and good management team
Cons: sometimes the hours were not enough.
people were nice to work with, place was well maintained for the most part, everyone knew what they had to do with daily tasks, and creating a rapport with customers were the most important part of the job besides reaching a the target. This is a fast paced environment, that gives people with a thrill for fashion and flair in their wardrobe a place to thrive. Management was always very efficient and thorough and it was about being part of a team as a unit not individual gain.
I learned the clothes don't wear you but you wear the clothes which gives a person a sense of confidence. Also learn good communication skills and how to be good at knowing people's tells.
Hardest part of the job well everyday is hard in it's own way depending on what the day is like. Most enjoyable is the friendly atmosphere and camaraderie that came with team spirit. Helping people try on clothes and giving them a wardrobe they loved to wear again and again was my most favourite part of my job.
A great place to start a new career and grow. Wonderful people to meet and work with.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 9, 2013
I started at Reitmans as a part time employee while finishing school. I hadn't thought about the retail industry as a place to make a career. Over the years I learned many valuable skills for customer service, financials, loss prevention, health and safety guidelines, and management.
My co-workers ranged greatly in age, and backgrounds, making the work environment out to be fun. My manager was very professional, involved, and taught me a great deal, that would later further me in my career.
The hardest part of the job for me is probably passing duties onto others. I'm very hands on when working and sometimes I might try and take too much on myself (which is very easy since there is always tons to do!) The best parts of my job would be the people I get to meet and help on a daily basis and...there's always tons to do! Definitely not a job for anyone who gets "bored" easily.
The Discount is great... the environment not so much.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Sherwood Park, ABNovember 25, 2015
Pros: 50% off employee discount
Cons: Long hours, poor work environment
The employee discount you receive is amazing, but that is really the only highlight of the job. You are constantly overworked by your managers, who rarely do their job and the majority of customers who come into the store are rude and treat you like a slave.

You can have flexible hours, they are really good with that as well, however, be prepared to be forced to work certain days and holidays like Black Friday and Boxing Day. Plus if you actually do your job, you will get the crappiest hours as well. You will get the longest shifts just because you perform better than the other employees.

Not to mention there is an extreme amount of favouritism that goes on. People who have worked in the same job for 8 or more years and do less work than someone who has been there for less than a year and who actually does their job, and then some, often get favoured.
Fashion trend really inspired me, learned a lot of new ways to put together outfits. learned how to multitask.
Cashier & Sales Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMay 6, 2013
Pros: yes, we had free meals when we had meetings and celebrations
Cons: yes, weekends and evenings.
Greeting customers and providing them product knowledge was day to day challenge because we had different types of materials and fabrics. Sometimes handling difficult customers and dealing with issues such a returning the product with out the receipts or bring it after the expiry date of the receipts was bit challenging. I learn to be poised and calm in difficult situations. I really enjoyed visual merchandising, the hardest part of the job was when we had to setup the store walls according to the floor plan. I loved the new products that came into the store daily. We had a great team and I learned to share the responsibilities. Our management team was very co-operative and understanding. I always looked forwarding to going to work.
gossips and bullies
sales associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 21, 2016
Cons: low wages, emotional bullies, slave drivers
Terrible place to work, they treat their employees according to favoritism. Very low wages for a heavy work load which is monitored with unreasonable time lines. Due to the stress imparted by management I suffered several physical injuries, left work everyday with severe headaches. Very little support from highly critical management who gossip openly in front of other employees about workers private lives and personal problems. Wages never increase but work load does. District managers made me walk in my bare feet around dangerous props so as to not scuff displays, ladders are always used without supervision and health and safety standards are never upheld. Do not work here
daily work day
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), bramptonJuly 18, 2015
Pros: half off on all the merchandise in store
Cons: none
a typical day at work for me as an assistant manager would involve coming in to the store and counting the cash for the registers in the morning. then after making sure the store looked neat from the night before ...put back any left over try on clothes that were left on the rack and mop the floors .
i learned a whole lot of responsibility from this position that i held since i was the only person in management handling the store for a couple of months. my co workers were great associates who would always work hard to sell the merchandise.
the hardest part of this job was that i had all the pressure for the store on my shoulders.
the most enjoyable part of this job was that i got up every morning to dress to impress and i could make my own schedule.
Reitmans is a great place to work.
sales associate (Current Employee), Saint John NBJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: getting along with everybody easily.
Cons: angry customers for somebody elses mistake.
A typical day at work, is to refresh all around our store. make our customers feel comfortable, work cash, work in fitting rooms or clean. I have learned to get to know the people buying stuff from you and it makes it a lot easier. My management is amazing, she is very kind, helpful, outgoing, and works around your schedule. My co-workers are great and I get along with everybody very easily there. The hardest part about the job is havening to fix other peoples mistakes from other stores or from our coworkers before us. The most enjoyable part is making the woman happy and make them feel beautiful and seeing how confident the woman are.
Fashion Group
Sales associate (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: discount on clothes (employees)
Cons: not enough hours in slow months
Always meet new people that come in to the shop& find out what type of work they do, to see what they acquire for their job & every day wear as well . A typical work day is about 6 hrs sometimes if busy or if it's not it's usually a shorter shift for some people& for others it's a longer shift. I have met a lot of co-working while i have been there, and have stayed friends with them as well outside of the company. The most enjoyable part of the job , is that you get to see the clothes before the customers have a chance to look at it& purchase as well.
Great group of people to work with
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: discount on clothing, leg workout from running around the store, friendly staff
Cons: irate customers, very busy and stressful during holidays
You are expected to work at a fast and efficient pace throughout the day but if you are a people person it can be a very enjoyable workplace.

They tend to hire positive and friendly employees so they help ease the stress of the job.

The most difficult part of the job is dealing with negative and grumpy customers, you need to keep a positive demeanor even if you are being verbally attacked by a customer.

The most enjoyable part is the happy customers and friendly staff. I came away from that job with several friendships that have lasted even after I left the company.
Fun place to work
Shift Leader - Part Time (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ON.February 11, 2014
Pros: friendly and fun working atmosphere
A typical day at work involves helping customers find what they are looking for, up selling and cross selling if what they really want is not available at that moment. The management is a set of very friendly and driven professionals and my co-workers were the best part of my job; they were friendly, helpful and we always worked as a team when needed. The most challenging part was helping customers with very unique style preferences; but I have learnt that by being an attentive listener, you can provide even the hardest customers something that they might like, eventually.
PROMOTION FROM WITHIN
Retail Manager (Former Employee), Leamington, ONApril 11, 2013
Pros: gained a lot of experience in hr management
Cons: not having enough autonomy for specific target needs
GREAT TEAM ENVIRONMENT,ENJOYED MY BOSS--SHE WAS A LEADER WHO PRACTICED WHAT SHE PREACHED AND REALLY BELIEVED THAT EVERYONE COULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE GIVEN THE RIGHT TRAINING & SUPPORT, NOT HAVING THE RIGHT PRODUCT TO MEET OUR CUSTOMERS NEEDS AT TIMES WAS NOT ONLY CHALLENGING BUT PROVED TO BE A DETRIMENT TO OUR BUSINESS. I LEARNED HOW TO MEET THESE CHALLENGES AND TO PROVIDE THE COMPANY WITH ADDITIONAL CUSTOMER INFORMATION SO THEY COULD MAKE INFORMED DECISIONS WHEN ALLOCATING PRODUCT: IN ESSENCE I LEARNED TO ADVOCATE FOR MY CUSTOMERS AND MY TEAM. I ENJOYED MY TIME WITH THIS COMPANY
Great fellow employees and supervisors
Cashier, Sales Associate, Stock Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMay 15, 2014
Pros: fun and safe working environment
Cons: no stress mats when working in the back room
I worked for the most part receiving stock merchandise, hanging or folding clothes, steaming clothes, pricing every item in the store and setting up displays. I would also cover for fellow workers with handling the cash register and dropping off money in the safe and assisting customers. My managers were really great and approachable regarding any questions or concerns. The hardest part of the job was unpacking all of the clothing in one shift when we would receive a larger than normal shipment of merchandise. I enjoyed every part of the job.
Fantastic Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 28, 2013
Pros: friendly co-workers and management, staff discount
Cons: short hours
I have worked so many places and am so glad I had the pleasure to work at Reitmans.
The managment is fantastic. I know it was not just my store because I helped at other stores on off days. They were kind and caring but yet remained in control. I have epilepsy and it's really hard to find managment and co-workers that understand and they did. It was like a little family.
No matter how busy it got there was always help. The hardest part of my job was telling my little Reitmans family that I was moving.
it was not what i signed up for
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee), AncasterNovember 6, 2014
Pros: i was the only merchandiser in my store.
Cons: it wasn't the type of position that i was used to.
I was the in-store visual merchandiser for the women's apparel store, Reitmans. I do all placement of merchandise on the sales floor according to a visual directive and place all marketing,
using a marketing guide. I do all displays and mannequin dressings. All seasonal set ups and dress
the store for holidays and special promotions. I do all the shipping and receiving of stock and supplies.
I adjust all the lighting and make the selling floor as appealing and attractive as possible! I manage the
backroom, keeping all over-stock, marketing, shelving, and supplies in a neat and organized manner.
I have trained staff on visual techniques and procedures, and much more!
gain.
great work environment, fun atmosphere
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Langley, BCAugust 7, 2012
Pros: 50% clothing discount
Cons: young inexperienced staff members
A typical day at work consited of me basically being a girlfriend to our customers and enhancing their shopping experience by making valuable suggestions to their purchase considerations and showing the customer how to complete their wardrobe with Reitmans products. I had fabulous co-workers who made my work day enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was ensuring that we hit our daily sales targets. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers and creating repeat business through key relationships with our clientele.
Sales Team Lead
Sales Team Lead (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJuly 3, 2012
I enjoyed my time at Reitmans. I enjoyed working with people, whether it be with my colleagues, or with customers that walk through the door on a daily basis. I always had to keep my mind one step ahead of the customer, to anticipate what she would be thinking and see if there is anything that I could do to break down or to solve the customer's problems.

On a typical day, I would:
- Handle cash
- Customer Service
- Maintained inventory, both on the floor and in the back room
- Training of new and old employees with new materials brought to everyone's attention
Adequate
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONOctober 17, 2015
Pros: Christmas Eve off.
Cons: Long hours, little pay
A lot of work for little pay and recognition for the work you do put in. No matter how many hours I worked or how hard I tried to meet quotas, merchandise etc, it was never good enough. A company that started small, and treated everyone with respect has grown into an oversized corporate monster with little or no respect for employees. Their refund policy forced employees to practically interrogate the customer regarding the reason for returning the merchandise. I will not suggest employment at this company to anyone.
Friendly workplace to be in
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Georgetown, ONMarch 28, 2014
Pros: good people
Cons: short hours
The ladies that I work with at Reitmans are some of the kindest to the funniest ladies I have ever met. They all have families of their own and love working with each other. They all keep a balanced life style and make time for other things. They always help me on what I need to know about the store on to what's new and how it is fitting to our customers so far. I need to know what our customer is looking for but isn't sometimes what I find is what they are looking for.