Regis Corporation Employee Reviews

Dispicable company and management
HAIRSTYLIST (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON21 November 2017
Worst company culture. Employees are treated like dirt. Poor management choices. Top heavy reward system - stylists are the last on the totem pole. I learned how NOT to treat staff.
Pros
Mandatory breaks
Cons
Scheduling erratic, tiring work schedules, poor pay, poor management
Loved it
Hairstylist/Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 November 2017
I was a manager at WEM in Edmonton Alberta. I met a lot of famous people and enjoyed working there very much. Flexible hours competitive and fun. Great atmosphere
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Not enough money
Fun environment to work in
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON7 November 2017
Absolutely love the salon environment. Was very interesting learning to deal with so many different personalities as i worked with 20+ women. Definitely had great times working in the salon.
Ok
Senior District Leader (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON27 September 2017
I found that there was never enough balance between home life and work. Loved the Stylist. Watching them grow, with the help of coaching and setting achievable goals
productive
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 September 2017
days went quickly especially when it was a busy clientele day
learned about the people and the community of the area
the management of the company provided education relating to the the product use which kept the company stylists well informed
i found the hardest part was when there was down time and not being busy
enjoyable part of a hairstylist is the satisfaction of total customer service
demande beaucoup d'investissement de soi
Gestionnaire (Current Employee) –  Saint-Jérôme, QC21 August 2017
vous devez travailler très fort pour faire un bon salaire. Les journées sont très achalandés
Pros
manque jamais de travail
Cons
courte pause, très demandant
micro managing
Manager (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON24 April 2017
i find the dl and tl micro manage and override the sl 90% of the time
and the pay is inferior to the job description .... promises broken commission not achievable
Pros
equipment supplied
Cons
as stated in review
Used to be great company...
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario12 April 2017
Micromanagement at all levels, employee not respected at all , no wage increase in 5-6 years (only minimum wage ) , even if you earn over the years right to have more than 2 weeks of vacation no possibility to use at at once (January and February only), health benefits exist but you have to pay extra , no any motivation to the staff except pat on the shoulder...constant push for more sale and getting nothing in return( except thank you and you can do more...)...Hard to make commission unless in super busy location.At the same time you see the upper management being treated much better. Unfortunately....
It used to be a great company to work for....
Pros
You meet and work with excellent stylists and customers
Cons
Minimum wage, no workers recognition, favoritizam of few....
Hands on environment
Customer service through retail and haircutting (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON4 February 2017
a typical work day involved handling cash, selling retails, cleaning, customer services, promoting services available, laundry, and organizing shelves.
Pros
employee discounts on products
Cons
fun work place, family environment
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB26 January 2017
I really enjoyed working at Regis. I was able to excel myself and build my confidence. Management was very friendly and always willing to help. The Regis team was very welcoming and always made everyday fun and exciting. Everyone was very helpful, positive and supportive.
They don't care about you only money
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON29 December 2016
I worked for first choice Haircutters for 24 yrs. I managed the store for 20yrs. They use to care about you but now it's all about how much money everyone should bring in. They think you are a robot don't want you to leave the front if costumers are in the store. But you know sometimes you have to use the washroom and take a minute when you haven't stopped in 3-4 hrs. When I quit I didn't even get to work my 2 weeks out and the owners never even called to see why. When they knew I enjoyed by job..
Pros
Hourly pay
Cons
Think you should be a robot
A place to have fun, and move ahead in your career
Senior district Leader (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON29 September 2016
Free ongoing training, benefits, stock options, team oriented environment, competitive wage structure, opportunity to expand career options.
Do not work here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON31 August 2016
Horrible management so unorganized head manager puts you down a lot tells you you're not good enough to work here. Worst job experience i've ever had in my whole life. DO NOT WORK HERE.

Pros: NOTHING

Cons:
Not enough hours, need better management.
Horrible Company to Work for
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON18 August 2016
You are required to go above and beyond for minimum wage. You never get pay raises, management is unsupportive, your training consists of sitting in front of a computer for 30hrs, you get no hands on training, high turn around with stylists, no one with any talent works for this company
Pros
benefits eventhough you pay for them
Cons
short shifts, no seniority, no pay raises, no training, poor management
High traffic salon, lots of hours, great learning environment
Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON20 July 2016
I have enjoyed working at First Choice Haircutters, a lot more than I expected to, I think people often make the wrong assumptions about working at First Choice, we are all stylists - we are all the same, we all love what we do. It is consistent pay, and consistent weekly amount of hours. This salon is high traffic, and when we are fully staffed it runs a lot more smoothly, I like the high traffic it makes me feel very secure in my job.
My coworkers work very hard but we all get along for the most part (any place is bound to sometimes clash personalities or opinions), everyone has a great work ethic which really helps the salon run smoothly, everybody does their part to make sure cleanup gets done. I think the most challenging part of the job is stepping out of your comfort zone, the best part is the pay - tips are great at this location!
I would recommend this first choice, every salon is different.
Pros
Job security, great tips
All work no reward
Manager (Current Employee) –  Magicuts I can't say where for fear of retaliation5 July 2016
I've worked for the Regis corporation for about 7 of my 10 years as a hairstylist, Ive never felt more used, and trapped! I started my career with Regis right out of school in 2006 at a Magicuts. I was there almost 1yr it's was great and the manager was supportive. I didn't know then and wouldn't find out until my second position that I worked for a corporation... I left Magicuts for better paying job (if you've read most of these that's their # 1 problem in retaining staff) however it was at a private and the salon ended up going under and couldn't keep me. One of the only benefits to working for a corporation is SECURITY. So I applied at a Smart styles and remained there for 3.5 years with NO raise, NO training and NO opportunity for growth. It wasn't all bad I love my job and it was very busy so I was hitting commission majority of the time. The Manager was another story though there was everything from bulling, favoritism, and being demeaned in front of colleges and guests. At that time I knew I worked for a corp. but there were no regular DL visits and nothing was posted for you to be able to call and report the harassment. An opportunity came to work on a cruise ship and I took it, even though it was only for a year it was away out from the nightmare I was in. I swore to myself I'd never work for Regis again... When I got home from the cruise, I work at a private salon spa for a while but was just not getting the hours and steady guest flow I was accustom too... So I convinced myself that the problems I had with Regis were due to poor management, my solution, to get hired  more... back and become a manager and that's what I did. I moved for Regis, the salon I took over was failing through my leadership and good DL support we had turned that around. Things were fairly positive at this point. However keep staff motivated and interested was very hard, there were still no regular rises, and very little incentives. The hardest thing to deal with were the incessant payroll issues, not getting paid properly or on time were common. Feeling that I had done all I could do at this location I myself became a DL. I did this more about a year and got to see a side of Regis I'll never forget! Things went from bad to worse. I was naive thinking that the problems I had faced personally, and the concerns of my staff could be righted if the right individual (hoping that could be me) dared to shine the light on them, because surely the company didn't know they were happening and generally cared about their staff right? WRONG again it was the most stressful year of my life, Regis doesn't care about their staff your just a #. I was challenged every single time there was an issue that needed to be fix and my RD would lead me around for months, I don't know if she just thought I'd forget or let the issue slide or what? It was frustrating and continued fight for what was right. Though I had always been a people person, and had a great rapport with staff and guest, everything was turned around that I was causing problems, being unrealistic, and has hard to get along with. It got so bad that I even talked to one of the VP's about what was going on. He would barley let me speak and told me "If I can't handle it, maybe I'd have to be returned to a managers position or possibly terminated all together" So shocked and appalled and with failing health from the stress I decided to step back down. I would focus on my staff and my salon and let my work speak for itself. I transferred to a salon in my home town to be closer to family. Took yet another failing salon into the green, and though we are always top 5 in our area usually top 3 and had several consecutive months over a years worth of quotas met, there are still NO raises NO appreciation, countless pay role issues which I've reported to employment standards, and so many TOO MANY issue in higher up management and corporate levels. One may ask why I'm still here well as stated before it not perfect but at least it secure, and I willing and am constantly fighting for better for myself and my staff and for future employees... Fight! don't be a victim after all change will never happen without some there to drive change.  less
Pros
Security, busy salons
Cons
Complete and utter disrepect for employees
productive and fun place to work
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC3 May 2016
great people to work with, i had fun almost everyday, i learned and grew so much, this job really let me express my creative side
Pros
good people
Cons
no set schedule
Working as stylist
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa canada2 April 2016
Dishonest greedy compqny.You cant even pay your rent unless you include the little tips too.
Cheap clients Horrible everything
Poductive and rewarding
Franchise Chain Owner (Former Employee) –  Toronto Canada5 October 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. The office started to get crowded as the company grew and it was more difficult to get to know the new people. There was a lot of variety in what I did each day, ranging from the monotonous tasks to new projects that were challenging and exciting.
Bare Minimum
Hairstylist (Current Employee) –  Ontario2 March 2015
Regis Corp pays the bare minimum required by law with no pay increases...ever. Employed for 11 years (20+ years int he field) with exceptionally good service and I made the same as a apprentice starting out. No increases, bonuses or increase in vacation.They do offer commision which is barely achievable and only adds pennies onto your hourly rate. They do not care about retaining good staff which is frustrating to those of us who really would like to help build the company but feel that in order to ever make more than minimum wage and work every weekend of our life we have to go else ware . Hard to do with huge turnover and getting staff from the bottom of the barrel or right out of school. Salons are generally understaffed (in my area ) as no one wants to work there. There are really no up sides except that you will get a lot of experience cutting with a large variety of clientele. Men, women , children of all ages.
Pros
Variety of down to earth clientelle, men, women and children
Cons
Low pay, no increases, bonuses, increase in vacation....ever. Work every weekend. Understaffed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Regis Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7