Regis Corporation Employee Reviews in Canada

Horrible Company to Work for
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONAugust 18, 2016
You are required to go above and beyond for minimum wage. You never get pay raises, management is unsupportive, your training consists of sitting in front of a computer for 30hrs, you get no hands on training, high turn around with stylists, no one with any talent works for this company
Pros
benefits eventhough you pay for them
Cons
short shifts, no seniority, no pay raises, no training, poor management
High traffic salon, lots of hours, great learning environment
Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Owen Sound, ONJuly 20, 2016
I have enjoyed working at First Choice Haircutters, a lot more than I expected to, I think people often make the wrong assumptions about working at First Choice, we are all stylists - we are all the same, we all love what we do. It is consistent pay, and consistent weekly amount of hours. This salon is high traffic, and when we are fully staffed it runs a lot more smoothly, I like the high traffic it makes me feel very secure in my job.
My coworkers work very hard but we all get along for the most part (any place is bound to sometimes clash personalities or opinions), everyone has a great work ethic which really helps the salon run smoothly, everybody does their part to make sure cleanup gets done. I think the most challenging part of the job is stepping out of your comfort zone, the best part is the pay - tips are great at this location!
I would recommend this first choice, every salon is different.
Pros
Job security, great tips
All work no reward
Manager (Current Employee) –  Magicuts I can't say where for fear of retaliationJuly 5, 2016
I've worked for the Regis corporation for about 7 of my 10 years as a hairstylist, Ive never felt more used, and trapped! I started my career with Regis right out of school in 2006 at a Magicuts. I was there almost 1yr it's was great and the manager was supportive. I didn't know then and wouldn't find out until my second position that I worked for a corporation... I left Magicuts for better paying job (if you've read most of these that's their # 1 problem in retaining staff) however it was at a private and the salon ended up going under and couldn't keep me. One of the only benefits to working for a corporation is SECURITY. So I applied at a Smart styles and remained there for 3.5 years with NO raise, NO training and NO opportunity for growth. It wasn't all bad I love my job and it was very busy so I was hitting commission majority of the time. The Manager was another story though there was everything from bulling, favoritism, and being demeaned in front of colleges and guests. At that time I knew I worked for a corp. but there were no regular DL visits and nothing was posted for you to be able to call and report the harassment. An opportunity came to work on a cruise ship and I took it, even though it was only for a year it was away out from the nightmare I was in. I swore to myself I'd never work for Regis again... When I got home from the cruise, I work at a private salon spa for a while but was just not getting the hours and steady guest flow I was accustom too... So I convinced myself that the problems I had with Regis were due to poor management, my solution, to get hired  more... back and become a manager and that's what I did. I moved for Regis, the salon I took over was failing through my leadership and good DL support we had turned that around. Things were fairly positive at this point. However keep staff motivated and interested was very hard, there were still no regular rises, and very little incentives. The hardest thing to deal with were the incessant payroll issues, not getting paid properly or on time were common. Feeling that I had done all I could do at this location I myself became a DL. I did this more about a year and got to see a side of Regis I'll never forget! Things went from bad to worse. I was naive thinking that the problems I had faced personally, and the concerns of my staff could be righted if the right individual (hoping that could be me) dared to shine the light on them, because surely the company didn't know they were happening and generally cared about their staff right? WRONG again it was the most stressful year of my life, Regis doesn't care about their staff your just a #. I was challenged every single time there was an issue that needed to be fix and my RD would lead me around for months, I don't know if she just thought I'd forget or let the issue slide or what? It was frustrating and continued fight for what was right. Though I had always been a people person, and had a great rapport with staff and guest, everything was turned around that I was causing problems, being unrealistic, and has hard to get along with. It got so bad that I even talked to one of the VP's about what was going on. He would barley let me speak and told me "If I can't handle it, maybe I'd have to be returned to a managers position or possibly terminated all together" So shocked and appalled and with failing health from the stress I decided to step back down. I would focus on my staff and my salon and let my work speak for itself. I transferred to a salon in my home town to be closer to family. Took yet another failing salon into the green, and though we are always top 5 in our area usually top 3 and had several consecutive months over a years worth of quotas met, there are still NO raises NO appreciation, countless pay role issues which I've reported to employment standards, and so many TOO MANY issue in higher up management and corporate levels. One may ask why I'm still here well as stated before it not perfect but at least it secure, and I willing and am constantly fighting for better for myself and my staff and for future employees... Fight! don't be a victim after all change will never happen without some there to drive change.  less
Pros
Security, busy salons
Cons
Complete and utter disrepect for employees
Working as stylist
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa canadaApril 2, 2016
Dishonest greedy compqny.You cant even pay your rent unless you include the little tips too.
Cheap clients Horrible everything
Poductive and rewarding
Franchise Chain Owner (Former Employee) –  Toronto CanadaOctober 5, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. The office started to get crowded as the company grew and it was more difficult to get to know the new people. There was a lot of variety in what I did each day, ranging from the monotonous tasks to new projects that were challenging and exciting.
Bare Minimum
Hairstylist (Current Employee) –  OntarioMarch 2, 2015
Regis Corp pays the bare minimum required by law with no pay increases...ever. Employed for 11 years (20+ years int he field) with exceptionally good service and I made the same as a apprentice starting out. No increases, bonuses or increase in vacation.They do offer commision which is barely achievable and only adds pennies onto your hourly rate. They do not care about retaining good staff which is frustrating to those of us who really would like to help build the company but feel that in order to ever make more than minimum wage and work every weekend of our life we have to go else ware . Hard to do with huge turnover and getting staff from the bottom of the barrel or right out of school. Salons are generally understaffed (in my area ) as no one wants to work there. There are really no up sides except that you will get a lot of experience cutting with a large variety of clientele. Men, women , children of all ages.
Pros
variety of down to earth clientelle, men, women and children
Cons
low pay, no increases, bonuses, increase in vacation....ever. work every weekend. understaffed.
Interesting place to work.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJanuary 24, 2014
Conducted interviews and orientations for full-time and part-time employees
Trained new staff on company policy, procedures and corporate culture
Calculated daily and weekly totals of payroll, service and retail sales for staff
Managed inventory, purchasing & supplies analysis and ordered stock as required
Scheduled staff on a bi-weekly basis

I learned how to conduct proper interviews.
Management was very supportive and easy to work with.
I had a great team.
The hardest part of the the job was to ensure everyone was trained properly.
The most enjoyable part was the motivating the team towards a goal and seeing them enjoy the rewards after they work hard.
Pros
bonuses, trips
Cons
late nights and weekends
They care very little about their employees
Customer Service/Sales (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONDecember 27, 2013
They seem to have a lot of money to advertise, but they don't pay well. They don't care about employee retention at all, their attitude is if you don't like it here leave.
where I worked, none of the stylist got along
stylist (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBOctober 24, 2013
poor pay, too many hours, not enough breaks in the day. One if you are lucky.
My manager was great, to your face, behind your back, watch out. It's a cut throat world in these salons.
Pros
they bought the equipment
Cons
not enough pay for the amount of time you spend doing a good job on the clients
Excellent locations
Manager (Former Employee) –  EdmontonMarch 5, 2013
Amazing Organization with high career growth and opportunities.
Pros
trips and incentives rewarded for high achievers.
Cons
pay structure
awswome work place great environment
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABJune 27, 2012
very busy on a typical day but varies through out the months. The girls i worked with were amazing and very friendly. The most enjoyable part was spending time with various different types of people
Pros
family environment
Cons
long hours standing on your feet
nice place to work great staff
stylist/ acting asst manager (Current Employee) –  abbotsford bcFebruary 12, 2012
I have enjoyed working here.I feel if there is something better out there for me it will come. but its been fun working here.
Pros
awesome staff
Cons
low pay