Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo Employee Reviews

Changing Culture
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, AB4 December 2017
What is great about the RMWB is also its worst trait - an always changing senior leadership and council, which can result conflicting priorities and lack of continuity. Also, as I suppose in many government organizations, performance is not really measured by actual results, but rather how much your boss actually likes you.
Pros
All pros have been taken away
Cons
Lack of strategic continuity and lack of transparancy
The rmwb
Network Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 November 2017
An always changing environment. It is hard to focus on senior management direction, as typically directors change on average in 18 months.
Benefits and salaries are competitive with the industry and the work in in-town.
However the environment is extremely political - of course, this is dependent on department.
Pros
competitive pay
Cons
Extremely political
Finance (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 August 2017
The pay is above average, unfortunately very little culture or opportunity for growth. employees are not motivated, and there is a huge disconnect between upper management and its employees
Pros
hours, benefits
Cons
little investment in personal or career advancement, poor morale
Rmwb
Manager, Creative Solutions (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB28 July 2017
I enjoyed working with my colleagues at the RMWB.

Did not expect to be made redundant and still don't believe it made operational sense.

Would have wished to finish my career there.
Pros
The People
Cons
Some of the decisions made at a senior level
Fun place to work and a good group of employees
Senior Developer / Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, AB3 July 2017
I enjoyed working there, met a lot of good people. Learned a lot in my field. I enjoyed working on project with other departments. This employer valued contribution on all levels.
Pros
Fun environment, good people
Cons
Cost of living
productive place to work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 June 2017
great place to work, enjoyable staff, flex hours available, overall enjoyable. work load was fast pace, most of the managers were very nice, close to home
Pros
flex hours available
Cons
contracts run out
Records/Storage Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 May 2017
Great place to work, everyone was easy to get along with. If you ever had an issue with something someone was always there to help.

There was always something to work on, kept me busy and on my feet a lot which was awesome makes the day go by fast.
Pros
Great hours
fun place to work
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, AB18 April 2017
It was an incredible experience for me to be able to work at one of the biggest Municipality of Canada.
I found that experience very grateful, to help people to comfort them after going through a such disaster
Cons
very risky
Excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 March 2017
The Fort McMurray Hotel Group provided excellent opportunities to grow and build a long career. The management team provided much needed support and encouragement.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
the trades guys are fun to work with
supervisor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, AB16 February 2017
this is a good place to work however 35 hour work weeks are a little to slow for me I need more hours and be depended on more. there is not much room for advancement a great place if you have a few years left to retirement.
Productive and Fun
Labourer (Summer Student) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 February 2017
Good things don't last forever I learnt. The most fun job I've ever had in Fort McMurray. From the first day on the job staff and management made everything roll smooth for me to understand how things worked. It went by so fast I miss it so much.
Review
RCMP Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, AB1 February 2017
Overall good company. The people are great. Management is over well helpful. Good Benefits. Good work atmosphere. I liked my experience.
Refuse pickup for municipality
Refuse Collector (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB24 October 2016
Drive a tandem truck with my class 3 license and loaded and unloaded the truck. Cleaned up the shop on a daily basis and put together refuse bins.
Productive and Great environment to work
Student Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 August 2016
Great staff that all work together to better the city and each other. Learned lots of skills about operating equipment and running a city.
it was a rewarding job.
Road maintenance technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB17 July 2016
good place to work . liked how organized it was people were also good if you needed help with something. family oriented.
Awesome place to work
Watch Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 July 2016
Amazing job with great people. Busy atmospher, with lots of multitasking required. My officers are wonderful and you learn something new everyday.
Good Place to work
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 April 2016
Always something new to look forward to, the people are all welcoming and very friendly.

Other staff willing to provide mentoring and coaching.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Distance between operational Units
Well paying and secure
Architectural Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, AB4 February 2016
RMWB is a ever changing environment, long term goals are often changed by re-election of council or changes in senior leadership.
Very heavy political influence.
Pros
Well paying
Cons
politically unstable
Excellent place to work fun co-workers and great management. RMWB is one or the most respected places to work in Fort McMurray (great job security & a
Public Operations Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 February 2016
Entered time and make adjustments as necessary, maintained vacation records, absence records and safety records; responded quickly to concerns from the public, co-workers and by-law. Maintained stationary inventory and first aid supplies, process incoming and outgoing mail. Perform various admin duties as required (help with any requests from supervisors and team leaders). Help staff reconcile end of month with credit cards, get mobile phones, business cards, issue permits and collect payments. Covered for the admin assistant that took care of cemeteries when necessary.
Pros
Excellent health bennifs, hours and vacation
While working previoulsy with RMWB I found that they recognized your work ethic and honesty. Co-workers are also great to work in a team environment.
support clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 February 2016
Great place to work, wonderful co-workers and management. Enjoyed meeting people, also addressing concerns from the public. RMWB is one of the most respected employers in Fort McMurray
Pros
Excellent health bennfits, great hours, vacation