Reed Employment Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Once strong company that's lost its way
Regional Research Manager (Former Employee), Norcross, GeorgiaJanuary 17, 2013
Pros: strong medical/dental/vision benefits, 401(k) plan, vacation
Cons: oppressive micro management culture, lack of corporate vision and leadership, lack of understanding of the industry (commercial construction) they serve
One problem with these reviews is that it appears that a number of companies, with the name Reed, have been aggregated together. My experience with Reed Construction Data, a division of Reed Business Information/Reed Elsevier, was at one time very positive and became increasingly negative due to a highly incompetent corporate management structure that had no ability to forecast market conditions or create a strategy to deal with the major changes in their core markets. The company once derived the vast majority of their revenue from publication based advertising. When the bottom fell out of this market their response was simply to cut and even divert resources from other divisions of the company that were not exposed to the decline in advertising revenues to bolster the legacy publications. In doing so they weakened the very divisions that had the greatest profit potential and, ultimately, took a massive loss in walking away from the very publications they had sought to preserve.

The biggest farce were a series of "Reed Values" which were supposed to guide the organization's management philosophy and approach to the marketplace. To say these values were farcical would be an understatement. One value, for example, was "valuing our people," and yet there was no evidence to show that they truly valued any of their employees as oppressive work practices and micro management resulted in high turnover. These positions were subsequently left open, in an effort to cut costs, resulting in even greater work demands on the employees and creating an environment that resulted in a viscous – more... cycle of cuts and more cuts.

The company, whose goal is to provide actionable, validated data to professionals in the construction industry, has eliminated anyone who ever had any knowledge or understanding of how the industry actually functions and replaced them with bureaucrats from data companies whose sole mission is to produce data as cheaply as possible.

This strategy is best evidenced by their decision to outsource some functions to India and other foreign outposts and further reduce the domestically based data gathering staff which in turn has resulted in a enormous deterioration in the quality of their data. The current philosophy seems to be to aggregate data provide a very light to non-existent level of validation of the data and then charge the lowest possible price with the profit resulting from the margin created by significantly lower labor and production costs. The flaw in the strategy is that many customers are electing to use higher cost providers as they can see that Reed no longer has any commitment to providing quality information.

There was a time when the company offered above market salaries, generous benefits (401(k) & pension, strong medical, dental, vision, vacation, etc...) however even those benefits have been dramatically scaled back.

A once great place to work has become a soul crushing enterprise that places no value on its employees. – less
Would have given this company less than one star if it were possible.
Previous NCM (Former Employee), Latham, NYAugust 1, 2012
Pros: none that i can think of - not even a free lunch!!
Cons: too many to mention
This is the absolute worst place to work and I have been in this industry for over 30 years. The management is arrogant and can not be bothered to understand the day to day workings of their own company. They are punitive and narcissistic. If the 'powers that be' decide that they don't like you for any reason, they ride you and if you don't quit, they fire you. Many people have been told by VP's themselves that their job there is not important or valuable. Management is into promoting their buddies and not addressing or listening to anyone else. We were all told many times that if we didn't like it, 'we could find the door' (which many of us nurses did and that is why they are having a hard time employing and maintaining nursing staff.) The word is out on the street that this place is the worst!! They lie without blinking an eye and promise things that they know will never happen. There are nurses still working there that are still robbing REED blind on their PTO time, and have done so for years, and they are too stupid to figure it out. Decisions and SOP's are developed without even talking to the staff that does the job and then they refuse to accept any suggestions in an effort to improve the process. I can not say enough bad about this company, The Reed Group, based in Latham NY and Westminster Colorado. It is a short/long term disability advisor company - not to be confused with other 'Reed' companys. If you are thinking of applying, think again and run as fast as you can, the other way!!
Executive Recruitment Consultant for one of the biggest Recruitment Agencies in England
Executive Temps & Perms Consultant (Former Employee), London, EnglandJune 10, 2015
Pros: Brilliant team, close to home, monetarily rewarded for hard work and promoted in the first year to an Executive Consultant
Cons: No managerial advancement opportunities
This is where I gained 4 years of hands on full lifecycle Recruitment experience. I was a Temps Consultant for 3years and a Perms Consultant for the last year a Reed. I was responsible for doing 10 businesses development calls to clients a day, going on 3 Client visits a week, finding jobs by speccing in suitable candidates, advertising jobs, sourcing and interviewing candidates, filling jobs over the phone and in person whilst on client visits, doing candidate update calls to generate jobs etc. I loved this job because I had a fabulous team, and was always one of the top performers at Reed. I made loads of money, but there was just no career advancement opportunities. That's why I eventually had enough and decided to see what else there was out there for me. The manager was fun to work with and I loved the team, so it was a difficult move after being there 4 years- but I wanted career advancement opportunities.
Don't Work in Call Centers, Even this one
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee), Westminster, CONovember 26, 2014
Pros: above average pay for a call center
Cons: be prepared to be treated like a production machine
Upon recruitment this company definitely pushes the above average pay and benefits, but little do they tell you that most of the ways you exceed expectations don't matter. In essence answer calls and attempt to avoid questions the company does not have answers to. If you are planning on having a baby, you best find another job as they expect you to request your time off the year beforeeven though you only have an estimated due date and have earned your PTO. Also if you want to use your PTO you request it and they co.tinually deny it despite the reason. Then you miss and they take your PTO and give you an occurrence. Just keep looking. Above average benefits are not worth being treated like a production machine with no support from your manager.
Loved being part of the industry that promotes learning & literacy from K-12 through college and beyond.
Senior Reprint Editorial Coordinator (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 8, 2012
Pros: summer hours, excellent health benefits, paid holidays, 401k match
Cons: closing of the san diego office & sale of the harcourt trade division in 2009.
I loved working for Reed Elsevier and publishing in general. I've always had a love of books and being able to be a part of promoting literacy is a wonderful thing. Reed Elsevier also promotes volunteering for non-profit organizations via the RECares program. They allow each employee two paid days per year to volunteer for any non-profit organization of their choosing. I served on the RECares committee for 6 years and was very inspired and impressed by the committment of the company and the passion of the employees.
Productive and Enriching
Quality Reporter (Former Employee), ChennaiApril 2, 2013
Pros: initiatives for all round development
It was an enriching experience working with Elsevier. An Elsevier day begins with the Sunrise meetings that determine the agendas for the day.The tasks allotted are always finished in a meticulous manner. The things that I learnt working with this team and company are multifarious - team attitude to achieving group goals, keyboard shortcuts, a global atmosphere by participating in several initiatives promoting important issues such as Eco Protection. The management encompassed different kinds of people and the experience was extremely enjoyable, in its diversity. The most enjoyable part of the job is the encouragement that talented professionals get with being proactive and the hardest part being striving for a balance between work time and initiative-work time, which was challenging and breathtakingly refreshing.
An established business with on-going entrepreneurism.
Director of International Sales and Marketing (Former Employee), Provo, UTJune 22, 2013
Pros: making a difference in the early stages of the business.
Cons: limited appreciation of and limited budgets for international operations.
A packaged software company at the beginning of the dot.com boom. Strategized with direct and dotted-line reports on the best international path for the company. Brought ideas and business cases to management. Once approved we set out to enter six new markets with localized versions of the (electronic publishing, knowledge management, help desk) software: Spanish, French, German, Dutch, Portuguese, and Japanese. Planned and executed product rollouts, including PR campaigns, local advertising, and trade shows. Hardest part of the job was persuading management that international operations could significantly and positively impact the bottom line. Most enjoyable: making a difference.
An organization that now understands the value of communications
Director of Enterprise Voice Technologies (Current Employee), New Providence, NJNovember 11, 2013
Pros: my teams commitment to the organization, themselfves and i as there manager
Cons: limiting growth within
Reed Elsevier prior to joining was an extremely decentralized organization servicing the customer base with antiquated communications technologies. The organization through a great deal of efforts and education has adopted VoIP technology to support their back office staffing as well as the contact centers including a mobile work force. The time being spent with Reed has allowed my team and I to bring cost efficiency, consolidation across the global business, virtualized contact centers utilizing Multi-Media technology. In addition we have developed and implemented a Unified Communications solution based around SIP technology and enterprise providers.
Very face pace place to work.
National Sales Representative (Former Employee), Norcross, GAJune 20, 2014
Pros: great holiday spirit.
Cons: cut throat competition.
Review and search construction companies that would benefit from our services. Design the best program to fit their needs and type of business and do demonstration remotely from our office with them on the computer, I would throughout the day follow up with past clients and appointments, either to renew their contracts or close the sale.
Management was ok as long as you hit quote, (which I did)
There was always competition with other coworkers.
The hardest part of this job was closeout at the end of the month to get everyone to hit their numbers.

Enjoyable part with this company was the holidays
Very Productive, family & empolyee oriented, team players
Cash Application Analyst (Former Employee), Norcross, GAJune 9, 2014
Pros: luncheons for the different departments
Cons: good health plan, free coffee all day, clean environment
Posted all cash daily, reconciled cash receipts from Citibank.
I learned to interact daily with higher management about cash related issues, when there is a problem in cash dept that can't be solved for what ever reason everyone comes together and work it out no matter how long it may takes. some of the hardest parts of the job is the unidentified cash or unapplied cash, but also being a team player with co- worker helps make the work more enjoyable and successful.
Exciting challenges to meet the needs for work opportunities for Commercial Construction Industry
Team Lead (Former Employee), Norcross, GAFebruary 13, 2013
A typical day for me was training, teaching, and coaching staff to efficiency benchmarks, including reviewing dialogues with prospects and sources, as well as managing contacts through a CRM system. I also worked with staff on how to manage their time best to meet their daily, weekly, and monthly goals. I supported management by collaborating with them to learn the needs of staff and to work with staff on Best Practices for success. The co-workers were friendly and open to learning new techniques. The hardest part of the job was watching any staff develop an unproductive attitude. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing so much success from the people I trained!
Productive work place.
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee), Horsham PaFebruary 18, 2013
Pros: great benefits, friendly people, the company worked with a lot of charities
Cons: time management was not clear.
I learned the steps to process a patent. We were trained to enter data into our database in codes. An example is quotation marks were not put in as " they were put in as +37. The hardest part of the job was remembering all the codes but you eventually got use to it. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely learning new things. Though I was not at this position for a very long time I feel like I learned a lot from just the training alone. My co-workers were all friendly and we worked as a team to meet our weekly quotas.
Great company to work for.
Office Services Administrator (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 13, 2013
Pros: great company, great employees, great healthcare benefits.
Cons: none.
Some of my daily responsibilities included: assisting the Director of Office Services, handling facility related issues and coordinating meetings for internal and external meetings. I was able to identify my key strengths when working at Elsevier. My responsibilities allowed me to grow. My colleagues is another reason why I enjoyed working here. They were always helpful and supportive whenever I coordinated company events. The hardest part was when my department got downsized because of outsourcing. Overall, if I had to work for a company again, it would definitely be Elsevier.
Great starter job
Quality Control Specialist (Former Employee), Horsham, PAMay 3, 2012
Pros: great team
Cons: too far of a commute
A typical day at work...

1. Trained new employees in annotation and equations.
2. Proofread all edited work throughout department.
3. Maintained records of quality and quantity control.
4. Trainee evaluation of daily performance.
5. Provided a detailed written and oral explanation of trainee
errors.
6. Delegated trainee workload as appropriate.

What I've learned...

The importance of time management.

Management...

Great team of managers.

Co-workers...

Great people to work with.

The hardest part of the job...

Editing and Proofreading.

The most enjoyable part of the job...

Reaching and exceeding departmental incentives.
75-100 out going calls each day
Inside Business to Business Sales Manager (Former Employee), Norcross, GAJanuary 13, 2015
The money is good at this company for sales people but you have to work very hard for the money they entice you with upfront. This is a typical cold calling generate your own leads company. Quotas are reasonable and if you can get a Decision maker on the phone and they will listen to you, than you have a good chance at closing the sale because the products and services Reed offers work. It is selling a monthly service that provides construction data leads to anyone involved in the construction industry.
Mediocrity with benefits
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee), Saint Louis, MOSeptember 9, 2014
Upside:
- Benefits are better than average.
- Job has a solid work/life balance.

Downside:
- The company is a physical publishing company at heart. This leads to short sighted technical requirements and inadequate infrastructure support.
- Constantly changing org structure. Significant realignment of personnel and objectives every other year.
- Undefined career progression. Every developer is a Senior Engineer. There are no Junior Engineers and a handful of Principle Engineers but the work is all the same.
- Good projects go to Philly. STL gets stuck with fringe/maintenance work.
Great supervisors and co-workers
Senior Production/Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Norcross, GAMay 15, 2012
Pros: great benefits!!
Cons: although not as bad as some - the commute!
Most days were packed with production and deadlines. Learned to work well under pressure and became very relaxed with management. The people I worked with on a day-to-day basis were awesome and we still keep in touch, we became what we called the "ACP Family"! The hardest part of the job were the days when some things just didn't work right - but that was usually due to technology and every one has those days. I enjoyed the job, the challenges and the people!
Extremely stressful environment with little compensation
Business Relationship Developer (Former Employee), Highlands Ranch, COMarch 18, 2014
Pros: benefits, pto
Cons: management is not aware about the day to day., the people who should be in charge aren't., if you value your sanity..., one of the rcd "values" is valuing our people..., this is just not true!
A typical day is having your manager stay in the office all day long with no personal interaction.
Major micro-management with daily and monthly goals that are completely out of reach.
No value given to the employees for the productivity and what they do for the company.
Not a fun place to work
Senior Editor (Former Employee), Horsham, PAJune 22, 2012
Pros: great benefit package
Cons: negative management team and low pay
Most co-workers and management team are backstabbers, If you just need a job with good benefits and dont get involved in office politics it can be a good place to work. Watch your back, your co-workers will report any conduct they perceive as bad to managment and management will believe them. With no concrete proof or evidence. Very easy repitious job. The best part of the day was going home.
Very poor, like all recruitment agencies they are useless
Temp (Former Employee), MiddlesbroughMarch 5, 2014
Pros: can't think of any
Cons: lies, let downs and fake smiles
Having worked for reed on and off I was given a temporary contract with my place of work. Reed were paid a very large amount of money for this. When my temp contract ran out reed said they would find me somewhere else. Still waiting, still getting the same old lies, same old I promise we are looking. STAY AWAY is my message. Love Mondays? Not a chance