Red Lobster Employee Reviews

Red Lobster
Silverware Roller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2015
The servers made this a fun place to work at. Kitchen staff, which is where I was stationed, was a very close knit family. Everyone had a specific job and always helped you if you asked for it. If I had questions or needed help with learning a new tool or prep, I could be assured that they would always steer me in the right direction, both in the dining room or in the kitchen. Culinary Management was exceptionally patient and kind to me. GM was also understanding to my family's changes and needs. Although my job may have sounded "tedious" to some, I truly do love what I did, "Silverware Roller." I had also learned how to prep foods for serving individual meals. The idea of going to work and thinking you are doing the same thing is great but when asked if you want to learn something new, is even better! It doesn't mean I stop what I was doing, it just means adding on to what I have already learned.
Pros
25% off food
Cons
no set time
Productive and an every day challenge. Never the same thing twice.
Certified Trainer, Server, Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 November 2015
Great place to work. Great people to work with. Very accomodating. I love taking care of guests who have not been to the Red Lobster and show them just wonderfully varied the menu is. Training LOVE IT. Absolutely enjoy taking a new server/new manager and showing them the "ropes" and seeing the excitement in their eyes as they learn. Guiding the servers, being a mentor. I love my job there.
Pros
Managers, co workers, guests
Cons
Allergic to seafood
Friendly and cooperative staff
Server (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON10 November 2015
On an average day at work staff was always welcoming and friendly towards one another. The managers were always there to help when needed and always went above and beyond to ensure that the work environment was happy and friendly and to full success. Staff was always willing to jump in and help when seeing another coworker in need of help. Always enjoyed going into work and always felt welcomed there.
Pros
Amazing work environment
Dishwasher
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 November 2015
Very busy
where things go in the restaurant
management was good
my co-workers were good
trying to get the job done
just being there at work
Pros
No free food
Cons
Just the right hours
Good
LINE COOK (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON8 October 2015
it is a good place to work, they treat you good and the safety procedures are always taken seriously so diners always get the best food.
There were some good times
Certified Grill Master and Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 October 2015
Very stressful environment but the pay was decent and for the most part everyone was amazing to work with. There were lots of times however that management wouldn't follow up on the core values provided to us by the Employer which caused a lot of drama amongst employees. The hardest part of the job would be the amount of volume at once with very few online.
Pros
50% off meals
Cons
Stressful and long days
Productive, fast paced invironment
Utility Worker and Baker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 September 2015
-Repetitive, exhausting, fast paced, sometimes slow, and quiet but also very productive and busy is what a typical day at work would be like.
-Learned to work independently, communicate well with others, be on time, work as a team overall, and get an idea of what a hardworking curriculum should be like.
-Management was reliable. Never a problem that wasn't fixed or taken care of and managers were always interested in listening to the employers.
-Co-workers were often times very nice and easy to work with. worked together as team and helped anyone that needed it.
-Hardest part of the job were in the evenings. sometimes never enough help to get dishes done or enough works in the back to help with produce so everyone had to help with they could to get everything done.
-Meeting new people, taking a break, and communicating well others during shifts.
Overall a good environment.
Prep Cook/Production/Baker/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON9 September 2015
I started off where I was needed as a dishwasher, advanced within 3 months to the production position where they utilized my abilities to have a more productive work day.

My co-workers where very supportive and loved the fact that I would bounce around to help every position as needed and gave me the same respect.

The management changed over the course of my employment in which at one point I was doing the kitchen managers job at night. (helping with the order, doing the food counts and closing the back section of the kitchen) It was not asked of me to do this however we lost two of the best managers at the same time while the third was on vacation. When I stepped up, little was done to compensate my extra efforts and though it was appreciated it was hardly vocalized to me.

My fellow employees were grateful for my work ethic and willingness to help keep things a float while management had time to sort itself out.
Pros
Great staff, good enviroment
Cons
Unexpected overtime, misinformed job duties.
Great company to work for.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Brantford, Ontario25 August 2015
Nice company that cares for their employees. Excellent training for management. Standards are set so it makes it easier to understand responsibilities.
Pros
Paid Vacation, great benefits, food that you can be proud to serve.
Cons
Long hours, shift work, no time for family development.
Fun and extremely challenging place to work at.
Line cook, Alley Coordinator, Utility. (Current Employee) –  3252 Sheppard Avenue East13 August 2015
A typical day at work for me would start at 12 noon. I would help continue setting up the kitchen for the rush, and clean up stations. I prepare the meals, cook, and plate. Help with prep cooks to prepare for meals for the evening shift. Break time. Then back to cooking at night until closing. I've learned a lot of multitasking skills and a lot of problem solving that involves a lot of special instructions on how guests want their food to be cook, such as allergies. The management is very humorous during shifts. Keeps people busy and also keep them from being stressed out by cracking jokes here and there, given the fact that the restaurant can get extremely busy. The hardest part of the job is the job itself. Line cooks do not stop cooking. I do not stop assembling from the time i start to the time i finish. Food just keeps coming in and there is no end. However my coworkers are the most enjoyable part of the job. We share the same sense of humor. We all try to have fun while working, especially when it gets really busy. I love working for this restaurant, its the people i work with that keeps me going.
Pros
benefits.
Cons
long hours with little to no breaks at all.
good work place with a friendly environment
Server / Bartender (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 July 2015
I loved working at Red Lobster, I learnt alot about customer service and dealing with situations that sometimes seem like are out of our control!
Productive and fun, great working environment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  2501 8th St, E Saskatoon SK S7H OV430 June 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers and management team. The atmosphere was always a positive one.
I learned many important this from this job, such as always have a smile on your face, when in doubt speak to the manager, but most of all have fun.
Pros
Free lunches
Fun Workplace
Server (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 June 2015
Fun work , love dealing with customers, handling cash and credit/debit payments is what i enjoy the most, related to my future career .
Red Lobster
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 June 2015
My experience with this company was bitter sweet. I enjoyed working with everyone, but there are various managers with different styles and it was rather frustrating trying to please all managers. What may be acceptable for one manager may not be acceptable for another.

A typical day would begin with changing the menus from dinner to lunch (and then lunch to dinner at 3:00 pm). Clean the bathrooms, lobster tank, and general host area. Greet guests as they walk in and quote accurate wait times. Walk guests to their tables and introduce the menus and new specials. At closing, I would have to clean up the bathrooms, lobster tank, trays, booster seats and baby seats, and lock the doors.

My co-workers were fantastic and very helpful. They made going into work that much more fun and enjoyable. The hardest part about the job would be calculating accurate wait times for our guests. Sometimes our calculations were off my 10-15 minutes, sometimes even longer, but it was not my favourite to inform guests that they had to wait longer for a table.

For the most part, I am grateful and appreciative for the opportunity and it was a stepping stone for my career.
Terrible Organization
Dishwasher and Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 May 2015
There are a lot of flaws at Red Lobster, management does not properly organize the kitchen, and as such the kitchen staff often pushes them around. The servers think they run the place and are always screaming at line staff for their food, and there is no tip out for the kitchen staff. There is a huge rift between the servers and kitchen staff, and a high degree of animosity there as a result.

The work gets really busy too, as Red Lobster is a very active and popular eat destination. The kitchen is always kept very clean.
Pros
lots of availability
Cons
animosity amongst workers
A day in the Life
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON20 April 2015
At work, I will seat, clean and make sure the guests are overall happy with their experience at Red Lobster. I learned a lot from running into negative people, encountering new challenges and finding out new things about my co workers and myself. The hardest part of my job was trying to please everyone and the most enjoyable part was meeting new people and being told I am a hard worker.
Pros
Long hours, half off on yummy food, nice environment
Cons
Not fixing my weaknesses
Good place to work with a very diverse individual which makes it a unique but fun place to work
Alley coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, Canada8 April 2015
A typical day at work would start with us(prep specialists) preparing all the needed things to start the day. This includes turning on the oven, making sure soups are put on the stove in order for it to be ready when the restaurant opens & making sure that the kitchen is in full working condition before eleven o'clock. Managers would be there to do some checklist to ensure all steps are not missed and done according to the company' standard. I have learned a lot when it comes to cooking and handling food so with other things that my co-workers share because some of them are not from here so we sometimes share things & culture considering I am not from Canada as well. The hardest part would be the rush hour and when we do not have enough food to cover those hours. One more thing would be someone calling in sick which makes the restaurants functioning capacity unstable. If we get through the day with no complains and with superb customer satisfaction then this would be the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
50% off food
Cons
long travel time from work
Productive and fun place
Host (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 March 2015
Good and fun place to work. Nice and helpful co-workers. Nothing hard about the job. Enjoyable work place. Good manager.
hard, repetitive work but teaches a useful lesson
utility worker, trainer, baker (Current Employee) –  London, Ontario12 March 2015
a typical day starts either cleaning up the mess that the person that opened left behind or the mess that the people that closed left behind.

I learned how to rely solely on myself and not expect much help from coworkers or management. I learned how to successfully manage my time, and not let the piling up of work stress me out.

Management primarily cares about how many labour hours they are going over instead of helping the workers they have during a shift.

Having to work with a bunch of kinds who just want to hang out and make money and not care about if they do a good job.

The hardest part of the job is knowing that no matter how fast you go or how well you do, you're going to have to do the exact same thing in a minute or two.

The most enjoyable part of the job is payday.
Pros
Cons
incompetent coworkers
Overall great experience
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Barrie ontario9 March 2015
I started working at Redlobster as a dishwasher, and worked my way up to Restaurant Manager. Overall my experience was great. I learned a lot of new things and had a good work environment and team.Benefits were great. I was with the company for 8 years.
Pros
Benefits, Friendly team
Cons
Long hours, No vacation days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Red Lobster. Our community is ready to answer.