Red Lobster Employee Reviews in Canada

Dead end job
Food prep specialist, line cook (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 13, 2016
I didn't learn much as a culinary arts student from here because apart from the grill every thing else comes pretty much goes through a microwave or deep fryer, comes pre-made mostly with little to no effort the make these dishes. The food safety was terrible as employees wouldn't practice the proper procedures. They hire you in selling you a dream of a career and moving up but its really just your typical franchise restaurant where they make you work really hard for lo wages as possible. They even violate their own procedures from time to time.
Pros
50% discount at lunch time
Cons
Delayed raises, low wages, no seniority rules, etc
Red Lobster
Silverware Roller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 21, 2015
The servers made this a fun place to work at. Kitchen staff, which is where I was stationed, was a very close knit family. Everyone had a specific job and always helped you if you asked for it. If I had questions or needed help with learning a new tool or prep, I could be assured that they would always steer me in the right direction, both in the dining room or in the kitchen. Culinary Management was exceptionally patient and kind to me. GM was also understanding to my family's changes and needs. Although my job may have sounded "tedious" to some, I truly do love what I did, "Silverware Roller." I had also learned how to prep foods for serving individual meals. The idea of going to work and thinking you are doing the same thing is great but when asked if you want to learn something new, is even better! It doesn't mean I stop what I was doing, it just means adding on to what I have already learned.
Pros
25% off food
Cons
no set time
Great company to work for.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Brantford, OntarioAugust 25, 2015
Nice company that cares for their employees. Excellent training for management. Standards are set so it makes it easier to understand responsibilities.
Pros
Paid Vacation, great benefits, food that you can be proud to serve.
Cons
Long hours, shift work, no time for family development.
Great environment , great people
Manager - Beverage, Hospitality and Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton,Saskatoon and WinnipegMarch 4, 2016
difficult to find management willing to move out west, the most important day to day tasks were food safety policies and procedures and engaging the team
Pros
great training
Cons
difficult to find management willing to move out west
Productive, fast paced invironment
Utility Worker and Baker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 14, 2015
-Repetitive, exhausting, fast paced, sometimes slow, and quiet but also very productive and busy is what a typical day at work would be like.
-Learned to work independently, communicate well with others, be on time, work as a team overall, and get an idea of what a hardworking curriculum should be like.
-Management was reliable. Never a problem that wasn't fixed or taken care of and managers were always interested in listening to the employers.
-Co-workers were often times very nice and easy to work with. worked together as team and helped anyone that needed it.
-Hardest part of the job were in the evenings. sometimes never enough help to get dishes done or enough works in the back to help with produce so everyone had to help with they could to get everything done.
-Meeting new people, taking a break, and communicating well others during shifts.
Overall a good environment.
Prep Cook/Production/Baker/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONSeptember 9, 2015
I started off where I was needed as a dishwasher, advanced within 3 months to the production position where they utilized my abilities to have a more productive work day.

My co-workers where very supportive and loved the fact that I would bounce around to help every position as needed and gave me the same respect.

The management changed over the course of my employment in which at one point I was doing the kitchen managers job at night. (helping with the order, doing the food counts and closing the back section of the kitchen) It was not asked of me to do this however we lost two of the best managers at the same time while the third was on vacation. When I stepped up, little was done to compensate my extra efforts and though it was appreciated it was hardly vocalized to me.

My fellow employees were grateful for my work ethic and willingness to help keep things a float while management had time to sort itself out.
Pros
Great staff, good enviroment
Cons
Unexpected overtime, misinformed job duties.
There were some good times
Certified Grill Master and Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 3, 2015
Very stressful environment but the pay was decent and for the most part everyone was amazing to work with. There were lots of times however that management wouldn't follow up on the core values provided to us by the Employer which caused a lot of drama amongst employees. The hardest part of the job would be the amount of volume at once with very few online.
Pros
50% off meals
Cons
Stressful and long days
Dishwasher
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 6, 2015
Very busy
where things go in the restaurant
management was good
my co-workers were good
trying to get the job done
just being there at work
Pros
NO FREE FOOD
Cons
JUST THE RIGHT HOURS
Productive and fun, great working environment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  2501 8th St, E Saskatoon SK S7H OV4June 30, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers and management team. The atmosphere was always a positive one.
I learned many important this from this job, such as always have a smile on your face, when in doubt speak to the manager, but most of all have fun.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
hard, repetitive work but teaches a useful lesson
utility worker, trainer, baker (Current Employee) –  London, OntarioMarch 12, 2015
a typical day starts either cleaning up the mess that the person that opened left behind or the mess that the people that closed left behind.

I learned how to rely solely on myself and not expect much help from coworkers or management. I learned how to successfully manage my time, and not let the piling up of work stress me out.

Management primarily cares about how many labour hours they are going over instead of helping the workers they have during a shift.

Having to work with a bunch of kinds who just want to hang out and make money and not care about if they do a good job.

The hardest part of the job is knowing that no matter how fast you go or how well you do, you're going to have to do the exact same thing in a minute or two.

The most enjoyable part of the job is payday.
Pros
Cons
incompetent coworkers
Productive and an every day challenge. Never the same thing twice.
Certified Trainer, Server, Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 18, 2015
Great place to work. Great people to work with. Very accomodating. I love taking care of guests who have not been to the Red Lobster and show them just wonderfully varied the menu is. Training LOVE IT. Absolutely enjoy taking a new server/new manager and showing them the "ropes" and seeing the excitement in their eyes as they learn. Guiding the servers, being a mentor. I love my job there.
Pros
Managers, co workers, guests
Cons
Allergic to seafood
Friendly and cooperative staff
Server (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONNovember 10, 2015
On an average day at work staff was always welcoming and friendly towards one another. The managers were always there to help when needed and always went above and beyond to ensure that the work environment was happy and friendly and to full success. Staff was always willing to jump in and help when seeing another coworker in need of help. Always enjoyed going into work and always felt welcomed there.
Pros
Amazing work environment
Experienced
Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 15, 2016
Gained experienced on how an international business is run. Had some really exceptional co workers to show me what the true meaning of team work.
Friendly work environment
Server (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMay 17, 2016
I like my job as a Server.
I have been here for 2 years now and I started out as a host, then trained to be a bartender and now I am serving.
Red Lobster
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 5, 2015
My experience with this company was bitter sweet. I enjoyed working with everyone, but there are various managers with different styles and it was rather frustrating trying to please all managers. What may be acceptable for one manager may not be acceptable for another.

A typical day would begin with changing the menus from dinner to lunch (and then lunch to dinner at 3:00 pm). Clean the bathrooms, lobster tank, and general host area. Greet guests as they walk in and quote accurate wait times. Walk guests to their tables and introduce the menus and new specials. At closing, I would have to clean up the bathrooms, lobster tank, trays, booster seats and baby seats, and lock the doors.

My co-workers were fantastic and very helpful. They made going into work that much more fun and enjoyable. The hardest part about the job would be calculating accurate wait times for our guests. Sometimes our calculations were off my 10-15 minutes, sometimes even longer, but it was not my favourite to inform guests that they had to wait longer for a table.

For the most part, I am grateful and appreciative for the opportunity and it was a stepping stone for my career.
Good place to work with a very diverse individual which makes it a unique but fun place to work
Alley coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, CanadaApril 8, 2015
A typical day at work would start with us(prep specialists) preparing all the needed things to start the day. This includes turning on the oven, making sure soups are put on the stove in order for it to be ready when the restaurant opens & making sure that the kitchen is in full working condition before eleven o'clock. Managers would be there to do some checklist to ensure all steps are not missed and done according to the company' standard. I have learned a lot when it comes to cooking and handling food so with other things that my co-workers share because some of them are not from here so we sometimes share things & culture considering I am not from Canada as well. The hardest part would be the rush hour and when we do not have enough food to cover those hours. One more thing would be someone calling in sick which makes the restaurants functioning capacity unstable. If we get through the day with no complains and with superb customer satisfaction then this would be the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
50% off food
Cons
long travel time from work
Workplace Environment
Server (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 24, 2014
A typical day at work usually starts with check-ins with managers where they inform us on product we may be low on or out of completely as well as check our uniforms to ensure we are in good working conditions.
While working at red lobster I have learnt time management with our pace of meal program along with learning to deal with different allergies and providing the guests with alternative solutions to make their experience just as enjoyable as the rest of their group.
The managers at Red Lobster are very approachable and able to assists if any issues arise that we, as servers, cannot deal with.
The co-workers are great, we all work together as a team on busy evening shifts to ensure that guests food is delivered when ready and nice and hot.
Hardest part of the job is not being able to move things along faster. ex, get food or alcoholic beverages out quicker.
Most enjoyable part of the job is being able to socialize with the guests. There isn't a day that I do not learn something new from someone.
Pros
when we work we get 50% our lunch, when we don't work its 25%, this applies at all red lobster locations.
Cons
long hours, minimal time to sit and eat in between shifts
A day in the Life
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 20, 2015
At work, I will seat, clean and make sure the guests are overall happy with their experience at Red Lobster. I learned a lot from running into negative people, encountering new challenges and finding out new things about my co workers and myself. The hardest part of my job was trying to please everyone and the most enjoyable part was meeting new people and being told I am a hard worker.
Pros
Long hours, half off on yummy food, nice environment
Cons
Not fixing my weaknesses
Great co workers but it`s managers vs employees.
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 26, 2013
Work is high energy and I almost never didn`t want to go to work. I moved up fast especially for it being my first time working in that setting. My co workers were the best part of my job. There wasn`t a day I didn`t laugh.
The only con is the management. There a huge barrier between the two sets of people and not a lot of communication. I lost my job due to a manager going out of his way to have me fired. They pressured me into quitting saying if I chose to be fired instead I could never use them as a reference but it I quit they would gladly give me a good one.
I should`ve let them fire me so I could fight it.
ANYWAYS, use wise judement but be careful. You might lose your job if you stand up for your co workers to a boss that runs his mouth about everyone.
Pros
cheap food
Cons
rude managers
Good place to work, with some issues.
Dish Washer (Utility) (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJanuary 23, 2013
The work can be overwhelming when you first start off but you quickly get the hang of it after a month or two. The people you work with are all kind and fun making each time you work that much more enjoyable. The hours can be unreliable though as they tend to either over hire or under schedule making it difficult to "make ends meat" at times.

Management will often do what they can to give you enough hours, though you have to ask for it as they prefer to give it to those who want it. If you're a family person they can usually work around your schedule so you have holidays and the sort off, which is nice.

The job itself is very stressful. When it gets busy you are often told to do multiple jobs at once while under staffed. And rather than getting everyone's full support and co-operation, you will find most people would rather bump heads, making work very difficult and almost impossible to focus on the task at hand.
Pros
discounted food, great people.
Cons
unreliable hours, advancement is rare.