"Job Summary: "
Under the overall direction of the Board of Directors of the Victoria Integration Society
(VIS), and the specific direction of the Executive Director of Recreation Integration
Victoria (RIV) facilitates leisure and recreation opportunities for people with disabilities
in response to identified needs, supervises staff as assigned, and promotes recreation
inclusion to individuals, agencies, recreation professionals, community centres and
recreation facilities, through presentations, workshops, and advocacy initiatives.
1. Liaises, advocates, and acts as a resource person regarding recreation inclusion with
people with disabilities, agencies, community centres, and recreation facilities.
2. Assists in hiring and supervision of both RIV and DSA staff as assigned, including
mentoring, assignment of duties, and performance evaluations.
3. Performs leisure assessments, develops leisure plans, refers, monitors, and
evaluates the effectiveness of plans for people with disabilities according to the
accepted standards of practice.
4. Maintains records and collects data as required by funders and as assigned.
5. Takes a leadership role in Society fundraising initiatives
6. Attends Board, and Committee meetings as requested.
7. Performs duties in accordance with the approved policies and procedures of
Recreation Integration Victoria.
8. Other related duties as required.
"Job/Skill Requirements: "
1. Commitment to the community inclusion process.
2. Knowledge of and/or experience working with people with disabilities in recreation
and leisure inclusion.
3. Committed to a person-centered approach
4. Therapeutic Recreation Diploma or Degree, Recreation Degree
5. Excellent communication skills.
6. Excellent organizational skills.
7. Excellent supervisory skills.
8. Ability to work independently.
9. Knowledge of Macintosh computers.
10.Membership in BCTRA or BCPRA
Mentoring and coaching staff members to develop their skills and potential. Delegating
and sharing responsibility, to promote individuals’ commitment, ownership, and pride in
our vision, mission, and goals. Establishing clear expectations and high standards for
reports that make them accountable for their actions and results.
"Attaining Organizational Goals"
Demonstrates awareness of the environmental landscape that impacts the organization,
and is able to comprehend, analyze, and make decisions to resolve problems based on
this awareness. Draws on personal experience, knowledge, and training to effectively
address complex situations when they arise. Can identify underlying issues and make
timely and appropriate decisions. Can plan, organize and coordinate plans to adjust
and reach organizational goals.
Develops and maintains partnerships with stakeholders that reflect respect, trust, and
cooperation. Committed to ongoing development of one’s skills and abilities, as well as
sharing this knowledge with others. Willing to adapt to a variety of demands from
individuals and organizations. Changing one’s approach to fit the circumstances
appropriately. Proactively addresses issues and problems as they arise. Conducts
one’s self in an open and honest manner in a highly ethical manner. Willing to reflect on
challenges and learn from them. Committed to the Vision, Mission, and Goals of the
Develops working relationships with, stakeholders, colleagues, and co-workers to
encourage open dialogue and forward momentum towards their and the organization’s
goals. Understands the impact one’s attitude, conduct, and demeanor have both within
and external to the organization. Listens, synthesizes, and responds in an effective
manner that addresses the spoken, unspoken or implied thoughts, concerns, and
feelings of others. Fosters and develops trusting and ethical relationships with all
stakeholders, colleagues and co-workers. Confident in one’s ability to address the
challenges of the job and recognizes when it is necessary to consult to ensure the
correct response to a situation is developed.
37.5 per week, must be flexible
"Salary and Benefits
$49,355 - 53,683 commensurate with experience, training and education
BC Medical Services Plan, Extended Health and Dental, Group Life, Dependent Life,
Long Term Disability, and a matching 5 and 5% self directed RRSP contribution