Real Canadian Superstore Employee Reviews

Not the best
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Midland, ON15 January 2018
The bosses were not that great with their workers. For example, I got in a car crash, warned by boss 10 hours before my shift started that I wouldnt be able to make it and she told me that it was an inconvenience for her....
Pros
Free Snack
Absolutely dreadful.
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Steinbach, MB15 January 2018
I had trouble with the fulltimers, they treated me poorly and seem to not care about the part timers. I have been mistreated by my managers and yelled at for asking questions about scheduling. The managers do not care about the employees at all. I caught the flu from one of my managers as well. Which I would not advise anyone to go work while they have the flu. I rarely got to go for my breaks as well. They fired me because I forgot my sick note at home.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Messed up hours, no flexibility whatsoever, not getting to go for all of my breaks. Poor management
youth-based workforce, retail environment
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 January 2018
Work expectations weren't very high due to an abundance of unambitious student employees, so making an impression and moving up the ladder was very easy to do.
Home Meal Replacement Services at Real Canadian Superstore
Part-Time Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 January 2018
Overall, this is a very good place to work, as far as minimum wage retail jobs go. Great job security, great management, great people to work with. Also, there is always work available to complete.
Pros
Great job security, good management
Cons
Salary is Minimum Wage
fun workplace
Costumer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 January 2018
very good friendly environment , flexible hours
good benefits
good union
lovely people, two free fifteen minute breaks per shift and one paid for thirty minute break
busy
Cashier/ Night shift crew (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC4 January 2018
being a cashoer at superstore had its ups and downs i was at the til so mostly cleaning and processing transactions. it was fun though with the other co workers and customers. full of laughs
Excellent benefits and flexibility but toxic culture & management
Part-time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ON3 January 2018
Working for Loblaws is a decent job for students in a unionized workplace, and you will be making more than minimum wage within a few months. The work is not difficult or strenuous. However, the culture is stressful and I found it to be a toxic work environment. Management and colleagues with high seniority can be very clique-y, and problems with department managers and assistant managers are not dealt with by store management no matter how many times they are brought up. While the company offers flexibility around school, I was often asked to come in on days when I am not available and sometimes had trouble getting necessary time off for exams. As a student, it is also annoying that you have to be available Friday nights and all day Saturday and Sunday, regardless of how open your availability is throughout the week.
Pros
Unionized workplace, lots of free food, benefits, leave of absence accomodation
Cons
Toxic workplace culture, management problems ignored
very productive and fun jpplace to work with
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC2 January 2018
Very friendly staff, and very fun place to work, very multicultural environment. and good selection of produce and products. Good customer service, polite staff and very helpful managers and supervisors. good pension and benefits for employees. dental and medical benefits
Pros
paid bonuses
Cons
busy and crowded grocery store
Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland, ON29 December 2017
Worked 30 years for Loblaws in several capacities enjoyed the colleagues, leadership and culture.
Over the years the leadership has worked hard to focus on equal opportunities in the work place.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Hads come a long way with woman in leadership roles
Average at best
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 December 2017
Typical day as a cashier is just standing for four to eight hours a day with two breaks which weren't to bad. Dealing with rude costumers is the hardest part but you learn to deal with it and work past it.
terrible place to work
Front End Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 December 2017
they expect you to wipe the privy posh customer's bungholes because they charge more than their competitors (walmart) and its the only reason egotistical maniacs shop there.
Pros
10% off food and electronics
Cons
your soul belongs to real canadian superstore
Never a dull moment.
GM Flow/Electronics clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 December 2017
I worked in over 5 departments at once (not by choice). It was very difficult to manage all of them at once while being understaffed. I went through over 4 managers while being there with very different ways of doing things. Nights was fun once i got on them but after a while it got to be a burden on my heath thus i left.
Pros
Can always get food or water, free stuff in meetings.
Cons
No enough hours, union sucks
Mostly Part-time
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB13 December 2017
A fine place to work part-time, however, the companies policy of using as few full-time workers as possible to avoid giving benefits really limits the ability for upwards progression.
Its alright, wouldn't stay forever
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  London, ON12 December 2017
Its definitely better than other grocery stores I've worked at - you actually get some benefits and a couple perks (10% off purchases, and 50% off glasses frames and lenses). The people are pretty nice and management isn't bad (there's always one bad apple, but good for the most part), it can be a frustrating place to work if you'd like to make any sort of advancements though. Favoritism is rampant and you're more likely to move up based on who you suck up to as opposed to through any sort of effort.
Pros
Nice coworkers, discounts on groceries and optical
Cons
lots of favoritism
A place that taught me alot
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON12 December 2017
a friendly work enviourment
good culture
demanding of time when management
family not priority when management
hard to balance demands with family
great for part time job
Pros
anniversary day off
Cons
lots of promotions run at same time
it was a fun and good enviroment
Front end cashier (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC11 December 2017
i learned a lot how to deal with customers and how to handle them when they are mad. the best part about this job was to entertain customer and talk to them
Pros
good enviroment
Cons
less hours
Fun Workplace
Customer Service/Cash Office/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winkler, MB11 December 2017
Help Customers
Count money, be ready for cashiers
Fun Co-workers
enjoyable part of the job is when everybody works as team.
Learned how many different customers you get, and how to handle different situations.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
no regular hours
Assistant Dairy Manager (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON8 December 2017
An excellent work environment. Was able to work in a busy atmosphere and learn skills required of the position. Learned up to date ordering skills with the company.
Not the best place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON6 December 2017
I started working here in the beginning of grade 10. I was very eager to work here however the longer I was here the more I realized that I wanted to be working at some place that was related to my field of interest.
the hardest part of the job
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB6 December 2017
the hardest part of the job is carrying egg and milk crates aside from pulling a whole pallet of packed bottled water and being exposed to cold temperature especially in the dairy area
Pros
free snacks
Cons
lazy and disrespectful colleagues