Real Canadian Superstore Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and busy work environment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kenaston/GrantMarch 28, 2016
Overall a great place to work with great job security and union benefits. Management isnt the greatest, but they allow you to work independently and productively. I learned a lot about work ethic and team work, as well as supervising employees while i was full time.
Co-workers were a very good group to work with.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 21, 2016
Working at Superstore was my first admittance to the retail industry. It was nice to be able to talk and interact with the customers as well as getting to know the people you work with even if they aren't in the same department as you. The hardest part of the job wasn't the memorization of codes and products but the long hours of standing in one spot. The management was quite good with sending everyone on lunch or break on time and there wasn't much of cons in the position at all. All in all, quite a good place to work.
Pros
Good management and wonderful employees/customers
Cons
Standing in one place on hours
Productive and fun place with co-workers
GM Replenishment Assistant (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCFebruary 16, 2016
An enthusiastic and fast paced environment with highly competent co-workers and excellent management. The working place is a great learning experience for everybody, and the best part is the added benefits for the workers along with frequent lunches and surprises for everyone.
Positive environment and surroundings with few negative factors that included weather conditions
Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 24, 2016
The Superstore has been very beneficial in developing my social confidence with both costumer service and peers. Management and co-workers are all very welcoming and comforting. The hardest part of the job is working in the bad weather conditions. The most enjoyable part of the job is entering a positive and enthused environment making my working experience much more enjoyable.
Simple and easy to learn new tasks.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 13, 2016
A typical day of work was being welcomed with friendly co-workers and staff.
I learned what it is to be a key part of the assembly team to achieve a common goal.
Management was very engaging and helpful when questions or concerns that needed to addressed.
My co-workers were very helpful when learning new tasks and showed me where I could learn these tasks on my own when I was alone.
The hardest part of the job was probably cooping with the very short breaks.
The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the customers and getting to know them on a first name basis and also seeing to their needs on a day to day basis.
Pros
Lot's of hours.
Cons
Very short breaks. 5-10 minutes.
Productive workplace with engaging and friendly staff
Part-Time HMR Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 26, 2016
Generally, I served people hot food of their choice and served people on a cash register. Sometimes, I would get called to the front to open a cash register there to serve people. Sometimes I would also get called to cover someone else's shift in the Cold Deli department.

I learned here how to serve people in the public as well as get some first-hand experience in food and safety.

The management is reasonable and made clear the objectives that were to be achieved.

My co-workers were very friendly and engaging as well as helpful.

The hardest part of the job was having to deal with impatient customers, though the vast majority of customers were friendly.

Overall, the job was very good to me.
Good work culture, decent pay, flexible advancement/ position shifting
Colleague (Temporary Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABAugust 20, 2016
When I worked in Superstore I was in the seafood section so my experience is a little different from maybe the average employee. In seafood however I found the work quite enjoyable, despite the smell. It gave me a great opportunity at self-management as only 5 people average worked in the department. I had to keep displays stocked, cull fresh and frozen product, log waste, train new employees who more often then not quit seafood, and order food, often not seeing my department manager for a week at a time. My only real complaint is against the union. As for the duration i worked there they were in conflict with superstore meaning I received no raise for the 2 and a half years I worked there. When they finally resolved the conflict all that happened was union dues went up and I received a small raise not close to equivalent of what I was owed.
Pros
10% off food, many other discounts with other companies
smell
Normal working, too much talking
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCJuly 8, 2016
A typical day at my job consisted of walking in, not getting greeted and scanning through customers items. I've learned the skill to handle irrational customers. I found the store to be too big and they hired way to many people as to where my hours got cut. Co-workers are only friendly with there "groups" of workers. The hardest part of my job would be having to deal with angry customers with the anxiety I have but I'm progressively getting better. The most enjoyable part to my day was seeing all the smiling kids every time I were to compliment them.
Cons
breaks at the beginning of the shift, cut to a minimum of 8hrs a week, to much group talking including supervisors
lunch room has a nice big screen tv with satellite
Health and Beauty Department (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 10, 2016
A typical night at work could be very stressfull. i learn to stay focused and also how to manage my time in a efficient manner. What makes the job hard and a bit difficult is the delivery load that we get at night. It's really heavy and I use pump trucks to pull the load.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the amazing co workers that i work with, they absolutely make my night much easier.
Pros
no pros
Cons
no room for advancement
Working in Superstore was very enjoyable and Learning process because everyday you meet new people and even we learn a lot from people
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCMay 12, 2016
When i start the work our manager give us a task sheet for each person and we have to follow that sheet whole the day. I realized the importance of working in a team and complete that task together. Everything was so organised and well maintained there was no chance of mistake. Everybody was so nice and follow everything what their superior tell them to do and there was no chance of complaint. As on weekend there was too much rush or crowd in superstore, so we need to work a bit more than our regular speed. While doing so we daily meet many new customers and they all were having some different problems i finding their grocery and we need to look out for them.
Productive and fun workplace
Replenishment Clerk (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABMay 17, 2016
A typical day at work for me would be filling dairy with products that are needed to be stocked as well at the grocery department. I trade the empty milk crates with full ones. As well as the eggs. I stock the shelves and make sure everything in the grocery is organized and neat. I have learns to give great customer assistance, deal with difficult situations, work well with my co-workers and many more, The hardest part of working is working alone, you can not get as much things done as you need to with only one colleague. I enjoy working with everyone, I get alone with all my colleagues and we occasionally have BBQ's and snacks from the bakery and other departments.
Pros
Free Lunchs occasionally
Cons
Not enough hours
Stressful, non team working environment.
Assistant Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Simcoe / Kitchener, ONMay 13, 2016
I worked for 2 different locations as an Assistant Produce manager and Full time night clerk. wages were good, management was not. When working nights, the day staff would do nothing all day then blame me in the morning when work for 5 people was not done by myself over 1 night. I would frequently shop there during the day and noticed nothing was getting done. they were constiantly on the lookout for loop holes with my hours making me work 10 days in a row of nights all the time. They refused to hire a part-time to help me with the work load yet had no problem hiring more part-time for the day shifts. There are many other things I could go on about what's wrong with this company but I won't.
Pros
wages
Cons
everything else
Suitable for a student with no work experience.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 19, 2016
I find that supervisors lack respect for employees (reprimanding you in front of customers at your cash register). In your training, you are told a number of things that would generally not be allowed. But when it comes time to practice these store policies, they let customers get away with it. It makes you look like an idiot in front of said customer.

You do get benefits part-time and I enjoyed a number of my co-workers. But the company as a whole needs to make improvements with management.
Pros
Good customer service experience and part time benefits.
Cons
Poor management, rude supervisors and low wages. You also have to work weekends and evenings frequently.
Productive, fun and a hardworking environment
Cashier and Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ONMay 20, 2016
I have learned a lot about customer service, working on a cash lane and most importantly keeping customers happy. The management worked hard and listened to the requests of the employees on things that could make work better. The hardest part of the job would definitely have to be dealing with angry customers just because you don't want them to be angry you always want to leave a customer happy and satisfied, but the best part of the job would have to be the relationships that you build with you colleges as well as the frequent shoppers.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Angry Customers
Decent part-time job, horrible full-time
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 15, 2015
I started out my job as cashier as part-time, since I was a high school student. It was an ok job, they didn't give me too many hours and I had lots of time for school work. The pay could definitely be better though. Be wary that, while being a cashier may not be awful in it's own right, being a cashier at the superstore just might be. The place is CONSTANTLY busy. When I'd start at 7am, there were line ups already, and when I'd stay to 11pm, it wasn't uncommon for there to be 5+ people waiting at a single till. In other words, the job is quite exhausting, and the pay doesn't do the work justice. When I switched to full time, I got an average increase of 5 hours, and nothing happened to my pay, even 6 months later. I'm supposed to be full time and I'm getting 20 hours a week. I do a good job, so it's not that they pick favorites. On top of that, just this week I only got 10 hours, even though they literally guaranteed I'd get 20 a week. Don't even think of making a career as cashier here. Do part time, and move on ASAP.
Pros
Lots of off time
Cons
Salary, lots of off time (both good and bad), exhausting
Productive, Fast paced environment, friendly fun co-workers, great manaement
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Langford, BCApril 1, 2016
I enjoyed working for Real Canadian Superstore. I left on my own terms for personal reasons. Management was awesome an VERY accommodating.
Productive, fun, and action
PT Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJanuary 6, 2016
The shift starts with meeting customers and greeting them. I learned to start in time and finish in time. sometimes I had fun with my co-workers, supervisors, and the Front End Manger, they were really fantastic group.
Management in Superstore is really accurate, very organized, and fair.
The hardest part that when I was leaving and I found the concerns in the eyes of my supervisor, that was hard for me to leave people that so good in person.
I enjoyed to work at Superstore, and I hope to find a job in Superstore once again.
Fun, enjoyable, reliable workplace
Front End Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCJuly 26, 2016
I love working at The Real Canadian Superstore. On a typical day I am helping customers find products, answer calls, assist colleagues and supervise cashiers.

My co-workers like to keep the working environment fun and enjoyable, we like to laugh and joke around with customers to make them feel welcome and give them that family feel.

Most enjoyable part of my work is that I get to learn about new products and help customers and service customers.
Pros
Good benefits
Productive work environment
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 21, 2016
My typical day at work would be walking around the store, finding products we where low on and refilling them. I learned how to keep myself busy at all times as well as time management.

the toughest part of my job was dealing with costumers who where always after me for discounts because I was a new employee. What I enjoyed most about this job was the friendly work environment my co-workers provided.
Pros
Prductive workplace, friendly staff.
Cons
Not enough hours
Overall a decent job if you are willing to put in time and effort
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SKJuly 19, 2015
Only a job for you (management) if you are willing to put in a lot of extra time and physical effort. A lot of stock has to be worked by the management and your regular 9 hr day turns easily to a 10-12 hr day. Pay and benefits are good. Job security as well. You only get fired if you screw up badly.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
long hours, upper management

Real Canadian Superstore Reviews by Location