Real Canadian Superstore Employee Reviews

Good work culture, decent pay, flexible advancement/ position shifting
Colleague (Temporary Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB20 August 2016
When I worked in Superstore I was in the seafood section so my experience is a little different from maybe the average employee. In seafood however I found the work quite enjoyable, despite the smell. It gave me a great opportunity at self-management as only 5 people average worked in the department. I had to keep displays stocked, cull fresh and frozen product, log waste, train new employees who more often then not quit seafood, and order food, often not seeing my department manager for a week at a time. My only real complaint is against the union. As for the duration i worked there they were in conflict with superstore meaning I received no raise for the 2 and a half years I worked there. When they finally resolved the conflict all that happened was union dues went up and I received a small raise not close to equivalent of what I was owed.
Pros
10% off food, many other discounts with other companies
smell
Behind the workings of massive retail turnover
Night Replenishment Crew (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 October 2016
The job included being on graveyard shift locating and distribution of items and shipments. Pretty straightforward, the problem arises from efficiency of the menial work and you fall behind. I eventually hurt my back and both arms and had to leave unfortunately.

The people working there, especially those who worked to maximum allowed wage of $15/hour are some of the most hard working and fit people I've seen. Overall it's a good group of people working there every night so that you can buy one of various flavored oatmeal at 10:00 PM at cheap cheap prices.

The pay falls behind that of Walmart and other comparative stores but the benefits such as dental and vision are there. And there is a chance of moving up although it's limited and you can always ask for different positions at different hours and management is accommodating.
Pros
Benefits, co-workers
Cons
Low pay, pay ceiling, physical work
Very unclean work space with very little time for employees
Cashier/Courtesy WestKelowna (Former Employee) –  British Columbia25 July 2016
a very dirty work enviroment with very rude management, every day when you went in youd see the slumly looks on everyones faces as they moped over to theyre tills to begin the day, and I only have ever heard of very very few cashiers ever getting raises of anything more than 5 cent
Pros
Cons
the physical state of the store will leave your immune system ill
Fun, enjoyable, reliable workplace
Front End Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC26 July 2016
I love working at The Real Canadian Superstore. On a typical day I am helping customers find products, answer calls, assist colleagues and supervise cashiers.

My co-workers like to keep the working environment fun and enjoyable, we like to laugh and joke around with customers to make them feel welcome and give them that family feel.

Most enjoyable part of my work is that I get to learn about new products and help customers and service customers.
Pros
Good benefits
Decent place somewhat
Service /Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 September 2016
The Superstore is a good place to work for part time only. They have a decent policy on coming in late or per say you cannot come in, you u have 2hrs to call in before your shift. however the hours are scarce you cannot expect more then 28 unless you're obtaining a manager position of per say a meat cutters position or a Chef or cook. I have heard that the benefits have been reduced, like the union plan was downgraded and the amount of hours needed per year WENT UP. Another way they like to save money.. they won't reduce prices. they will take away hours from employees.. I also heard before coming to this store they had plenty or strikes...

However the employees are like a big family, that's is very nice to see.. but management dosent fully care about actual customer service, or even about their employees, because they are not unionized and their collar is always on the line, they are always stressed of loosing their job or not making enough sales that they care less about employees. its just about making money.. even if the customer is unhappy.. though most times My manager tries his very best to make customers happy.. the employees i work with are honestly lazy.. and it makes me upset. I understand why the world is like this, but I do not want to give up, im still going to work hard..

also they tend to have alot out of stock, and never enough variety.. Of all meat depts..
Pros
two free fifteeen minute breaks. after 900hrs you get benefits (in a year)
Cons
If you don't make 900 hours in a year, your benefits get eaten up!!
Suitable for a student with no work experience.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC19 May 2016
I find that supervisors lack respect for employees (reprimanding you in front of customers at your cash register). In your training, you are told a number of things that would generally not be allowed. But when it comes time to practice these store policies, they let customers get away with it. It makes you look like an idiot in front of said customer.

You do get benefits part-time and I enjoyed a number of my co-workers. But the company as a whole needs to make improvements with management.
Pros
Good customer service experience and part time benefits.
Cons
Poor management, rude supervisors and low wages. You also have to work weekends and evenings frequently.
Busy and sometimes stressful with high expectations
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON16 October 2016
Busy environment. Learned how to operate different equipment and computer skills and that being a manager is a very demanding job but also rewarding as you met all sorts of people. Management was usually very easy to work with and helpful on a daily basis on ideas on on to better your position. Co-workers helped maintain a healthy environment.
Hardest part on being a manager was trying to keep a good moral amongst colleagues and teaching how too work safely and to do a job to the best of their ability.
The part I enjoyed most about my job was meeting people and helping them enjoy a great shopping experience.
Pros
Appreciation treats. Bonuses
Cons
Long and hard working hours
great colleagues and managers
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Westbank, BC18 July 2016
I was recognized after the first week with a pin from my direct supervisor and ASM for my work ethic and my job performance that was above and beyond expectations for someone so new and not fully trained.
A typical day started with going to the back of department and see what my tasks for the day were, and start on them immediately.
I learned time management and how to work as a team for a common purpose, the customers.
The hardest part was when I work the closing shifts I usually finished my tasks before my shift was done. I would help my fellow colleagues with theirs and some would appreciate it while others didn't like how I was able to do it, they figured I shouldn't be working so fast, and thought it made them look bad. So I would usually just do some deep cleaning in the backroom and cooler and write that on my task sheet.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the customers, especially when they were only able to speak French and I was the only one in the department that could. It made the customers feel special and very welcome and they usually looked for me when they came in again.
Pros
lots, benefits, colleague discount, pension
Cons
it was tough to juggle school and my activities, snowboard team, training, and hold to the needs of the contract
Fun place to work with lots of friendly people
Bakery worker (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB24 September 2016
A day at work was usually very good, slow or busy theres always something to do and people you are able to help. During my time here I gained many valuable skills that have helped me grow as an employee. The management was very good, there were very rarely disagreements and if there were they were able to be figured out very quickly. All of my co-workers were also very eager to get work done and become team players as well. I have not had any issues with my colleagues.The hardest part of the job was probably the standing for the long periods of time or dealing with an unhappy customer, but neither of which are very hard to overcome or handle. I would have to say the most enjoyable part of my job was being able to decorate the cakes specific ways and designing them with people who come in.
Pros
Friendly environment, gained work experience, further skill sets.
Cons
Some schedule confusions, occasional disagreements
Horrible, hypocritical, and unfair workplace.
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON21 November 2016
typical day at work was stalking shelves, or facing materials in a presentable fashion, only to be destroyed by a customer within 15 minutes of completion.
Learned that department stores aren't for everyone.
Management was often found taking extra long breaks, talking in the back, or scolding employees for uncontrollable problems.
Co-workers were always complaining about management and job related problems.
Hardest part of the job was maintaining professionalism in front of screaming customers.
Home time was the most enjoyable part of the day.
Pros
Im not working there anymore
Cons
Im scarred forever
Enjoyable place with interesting people
Superstore- Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 September 2016
Days were busy with a lot of different things to do. We had to complete our duties which were assigned by the manager in between customers. I learned a lot about food handling and customer service. I really enjoyed my co-workers, although they changed often. We went through a lot of co-workers that were hired and left soon. The most difficult part of the job was time-management. Completing all the duties, customer service, and cleaning by the end of the day is difficult. Team work was always appreciated to avoid working past closing.
Pros
Free lunches, flexible hours, friendly co-workers
Cons
Very busy sundays, too many different coworkers
Difficult and stressful place to work
Pharmacy Technician/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 November 2016
The job was alright at the beginning, but became increasingly difficult as time went on. I learned how to input prescriptions into the computer to generate prescription labels, fill the prescription, and cash the customer out. Management was less than desirable, but were knowledgeable about medications. Coworkers were less than desirable. The hardest part of my job was working in that environment with the manager and coworkers- they weren't the most pleasant people to work with. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping customers.
Decent
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB23 November 2016
It was a decent amount of hours until they started reducing them for some reason that they did not tell me about. The Manager that took over my department only talked on her phone and bossed us around if we were going slow even though we were going as fast as we can. I worked night for 2 years then the new manager switched me to days which I did not take to well as I enjoy nights, I work harder and faster at night. The hardest part was managing the food and checking the dates, but it was done. I enjoyed nights.
Pros
Health coverage and Dental Coverage, 10% discount
Cons
People are loud
Friendly environment, a lot of independent work flow
Night Crew Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 October 2016
I would clock in, start helping unload stacks of boxes, carry products to required aisles and then place those items on the shelves. I would then "face" items on the shelves to make the items look presentable to potential costumers. I learned that time management and efficiency is key to a happy boss. The management was easy going unless people were caught slacking / wasting time. The co-workers were friendly as well. They were always there when I needed help figuring out what item went where. The hardest part of the job would of had to been the first couple weeks because after I got the hang of things, everything went pretty smooth. The best part of the job was the co-workers because they always made every shift an enjoyable one
Pros
Listen to my own music, I had a large choice of food selection for my break, I had a gym to work out in right after my shifts in the same location
Cons
I didn't like distracting my co-workers too much with my lack of knowledge on item placement, Everybody in the aisle would get in trouble if 1 started slacking
High stress environment, resonable salary
Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Various31 August 2016
High stress and fast paced working environment. Management should be more accommodating. Reasonable salary and benefits. Co-workers are friendly and fun to work with.
productive day at superstore
Front End Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 September 2016
learned how to deal with angry customers in a reasonable fashioned way, tried to satisfy there need and leaving them a happy and satisfied customer. Always kept our work area, cash lane neat and clean for there customer to be satisfied and not feel disgusted coming into a dirty isle. Breaks were mostly on time unless it was very busy but no longer then a additional 1 hour wait due to short staff
Pros
easy to work with people making the job environment much more positive
Cons
Productive and busy work environment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kenaston/Grant28 March 2016
Overall a great place to work with great job security and union benefits. Management isnt the greatest, but they allow you to work independently and productively. I learned a lot about work ethic and team work, as well as supervising employees while i was full time.
Stressful, non team working environment.
Assistant Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Simcoe / Kitchener, ON13 May 2016
I worked for 2 different locations as an Assistant Produce manager and Full time night clerk. wages were good, management was not. When working nights, the day staff would do nothing all day then blame me in the morning when work for 5 people was not done by myself over 1 night. I would frequently shop there during the day and noticed nothing was getting done. they were constiantly on the lookout for loop holes with my hours making me work 10 days in a row of nights all the time. They refused to hire a part-time to help me with the work load yet had no problem hiring more part-time for the day shifts. There are many other things I could go on about what's wrong with this company but I won't.
Pros
wages
Cons
everything else
Productive work environment
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 July 2016
My typical day at work would be walking around the store, finding products we where low on and refilling them. I learned how to keep myself busy at all times as well as time management.

the toughest part of my job was dealing with costumers who where always after me for discounts because I was a new employee. What I enjoyed most about this job was the friendly work environment my co-workers provided.
Pros
Prductive workplace, friendly staff.
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive and great experience
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON21 September 2016
The Real Canadian Superstore is a great place to gain experience in the working world. A typical day in the bakery is one where employees are required to provide customer service, whether one is writing or packaging a cake, or supplying products from behind the counter. As well as customer service, employees are required to maintain the sales floor, and package goods in a timely manner.
I have learned about maintaining quality work in a fast-paced environment. Also, treating customers with respect and with a smile goes a long with with customer satisfaction to ensure they come back.
Co-workers work as a team to finish tasks on time and make sure that everything is properly functional. Everyone comes to work with a positive attitude which ensures cooperation and fluency.
The hardest part of the job, yet the most enjoyable is meeting and serving many people of different ages and ethnicity. At times there are communication barriers with customers who are not fluent in English. However, to ensure that customers are treated with respect and equality, I approach each customer with a positive attitude and enthusiasm. This helps to form relationships with the customers and ensures that they have a great experience while shopping.
Pros
Team environment, management