Real Canadian Liquor Store Employee Reviews

It's a toss up
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 August 2017
I got lucky with my management being the absolute best in the world, but I've heard less flattering things from other stores. Although the benefits are good, especially for those with families or the elderly, the job isn't anything special from any other retail job.
Pros
easy work, benefits
Cons
can be very boring
The most enjoyable part of the job.
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB4 May 2017
Working for this company was great, we were like a little family. Everyone was always there for each other. When I first started everyone look me under their wings and taught me everything I needed to know.
Job was great,
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 March 2017
The job was great very physical, and never boring. The only problem I had was some of the higher ups had no hearts when it came to the staff. The job was otherwise great.
loved it
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB28 July 2016
superstore liquor store was very easy going but yet fast place to learn and gain experience I loved working here, I learned well and gained most experience in supervising staff and customers
Loved managing the store.
Assistant Manager (full-time) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 June 2016
I had learnt the most at this job. Working as an assistant manager made me realize what I was looking for in a career. I loved doing payroll and managing the store. I made everyone feel like mistakes happen and can always be fixed. Everyone felt like family to me. I would go back if I had the chance and to manage the store again.
Prodcutive workplace with friendly smiles and helpful staff
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 May 2016
Productive workplace with great staff that are more than willing to help with whatever you may need. A typical day of work at the RCLS consists of watching the tills in order to serve customers promptly, stocking shelves in order to keep products available,and watching customers in order to keep track of theft. The management is a little much, i find them to be very strict and sometimes rude. There is no room for mistakes and the co-workers also seem to come off as a bit rude towards other staff. There have been cases of staff being bullied and outcast-ed from the rest of the staff, but none of this is directed towards customers. The hardest parts of my job would have to be judging the age of a person and having to refuse a customer. The customer can either become offended and leave or argue and cause a scene.The most enjoyable part of the job though, would have to be learning about the different wines and how the products are made.
Pros
Small Store, easy to keep tack of products and customers
Cons
Limited staff members and conflicts between staff
Casual work environment, good selection, questionable management techniques
Cashier/Stocker/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB14 April 2016
Open store/stock shelves, greet customers, continually face product in between sales to reduce theft and keep workplace looking clean, do shipping and receiving including some acrobatics due to small storage in rear, count out tills, close-out procedures, preparing bank deposits. I learned if every one of your bosses is female, be prepared to do all of the work while they sit in portion of office with no camera for the duration of their shift, only coming out to help customers when lines were ridiculous and customers were getting upset. On one particular occasion I witnessed the store manager give herself two serious head injuries, and would not trust her to sit the right way on a toilet seat, although I believe she is now retired thank god. Other than that, she possessed good business sense but lacked viable communication skills and consistently exercised poor judgement, and was not respected in general. Hardest part of the job was pushing the cardboard cart across Super Store parking lot when there was snow, as liquor stores generate a heap of cardboard waste. The most enjoyable parts of the job were the customers and co-workers, who created a friendly and welcoming atmosphere for all but thieves.
Pros
Great customers, great employees, good prices.
Cons
Gender biased management; dangerously incompetent manager (at the time)
Productive, fun enviroment to work.
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, AB8 February 2016
A typical day at work for me was great. I absolutely loved it. I learned how to deal with certain customers in an appropriate manner. The management was terrific, professional, and very knowlegable. My co-workers were fantastic to work with, and learned very quickly. I cant say if there was a "hardest" part of my job. I truly loved everything I did. But sometimes dealing with shoplifters/intoxicated persons was a little awkward, but nothing I couldn't handle. And the most enjoyable part of the job for myself, was my regular customers. I could always make them laugh, making their day a little bit brighter.
Pros
Excellent bosses/managers.
Cons
Rude Customers.
My amazing staff memebers
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 December 2015
I enjoyed being apart of my team, teaching and training the new staff was fun.A typical day in my field of work was to make sure the store was fully stocked to the best it could be and to make sure all staff were happy and the customers.
Managment i was apart of , i enjoyed being the assistant manager to an amazing group of people.
My co-workers worked well together i taught them how to work in a team and how to deal with certain things that would arrise to know that i was always there to help them.open door policy.
The hardest part of the job had to be not being appreciated by your boss!
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smiles on the faces of clients and the staff.
Pros
Learning the trade of working in a liquor establishment
Cons
No appreciation
team work, mutual understanding between co-workers
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 September 2015
really good manager and co-workers. manager help me a lot to get department manager position in my recent job. co-workers consider me as good friend . i don't find something hard in that job from my previous experience. The most enjoyable part of the job going for the job
Pros
10 % discounts
The liquor store
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 September 2015
Pretty fun place to work at when people aren't coming in to steal from us. People that work there are really laid back and easy to get along with. Lots of manual labor but that's not a problem if you pace yourself.
rcls
Cashier (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB10 March 2015
Great management with a good working ora among employees. the job if you work past 6 months has incredible benefits even for part time employees.
the customers are amazing..my supervisors are young and energetic
Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  heritage meadows calgary19 September 2014
typical day starts with opening the store,making sure front stock is topped up...going over the day with my super... interacting with the customers..i love learning from my supers and customers about new and existing wine and spirits...my co-workers are very young and full of energy...the hardest part of my job is seeing regulars who are alchoholics...so sad
Pros
dealing with the customers
Cons
its only part time and irregular hours
Productive / Balanced Daily Routine
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton27 August 2014
Working as an assistant manager at the real Canadian liquor store had its pro's and con's mainly pros.
Management & staff are fun to work with.
Cashier/ clerk (Current Employee) –  Airdrie AB.25 June 2014

A typical day for me would be working till most days, cleaning front end & vestibule assisting costumers & stocking shelves. On an order
day clearing pallets & filling in shelves would be added to my till duties.

Since I've been at the liquor store I,ve learned at lot about wines & their varietals, grape types in both red & white wines.

The hardest part of this job is the amount of heavy lifting it entails. The best part of my job is interacting with the costumers.
Pros
Serving the costumers, free lunches on special occasions, & working with a good team.
Cons
Long hours, heavy lifting
Good
Cashier, Stock Clerk, Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 April 2014
Good. It's a very fun place to work. Everyone there are very friendly.
Simple Workplace
Liquor Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 January 2014
Simple tasks and repetitive routine. No opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Paid break, flexible scheduling.
Cons
No 8 hour shifts. Lack of accountability.
Very friendly coworkers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, AB24 July 2013
This job offered a very welcoming environment with hard working friendly people. The tasks weren't overly hard.
Pros
Worked with good people
Cons
Not enough hours
Busy & fun place to work
Cashier/Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove AB19 February 2013
A typical day includes running the tills, stocking the shelfs & some cleaning. Management is pretty good, there needs to be a bit more communication but overall is okay. I enjoying working with everyone there we all get along great! One of the other hard parts of the job can be the heavy lifting & pushing of the pallets. I like that the shifts go by fast as there is always lots to keep us busy.