READING BOROUGH COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Gradually going downhill
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Reading27 April 2017
Not the best company to be working for at the moment, and pay increases & training are virtually non existent. Management is failing in most areas and cuts are making staff moral hit an all time low.
local authority public sector
Facilities/Security reception (Former Employee) –  Reading27 March 2017
I worked mainly in the security office and helped the porters from time to time. The departments I worked for were going through some challenges and changes but I believe things have improved massively since I was there. My senior manager maintained the utmost professionalism at all times and listened to feedback responsively and seems to have acted on it.
Pros
Excellent senior management
Cons
Some departments would benefit from more positive work culture
Good Experience
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire6 March 2017
Good experience gained of different sectors.

There is a lack of investment in staff training/advancement.

Relaxed environment, although fast paced at times and various challenges- but colleagues are more than willing to help.
Pros
flexible working
Cons
lack of staff investment
Behind with the times
Health & Activity Develpment/Gym Management (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire10 February 2017
Upper Management are stuck in their ways, closed to fresh ideas & thinking outside the box. Do not utilize staff skills or knowledge for best results.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Lack of motivation and poor culture
A friendly workplace
Streetcare Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire2 February 2017
I had previously worked in Social Care at Reading Borough Council and got a good reference, so I was contacted by Streetcare for this position. I was responsible for the administration of bin collections. This meant that I had to log all reports on Excel, liaise with the collection team and answer any queries from local residents. I was also responsible for tracking abandoned cars, contacting the owners if possible and organising for them to be towed away if necessary.

This job required a good eye for detail, problem-solving skills and good customer service. It was quite a colourful environment, as the collection crew were quite rowdy at times, but I didn't mind, as I liked the people I worked with.
Pros
Friendly, helpful colleagues
Cons
Resident complaints
Leisure Attendant (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire14 January 2017
Have gained a lot of knowledge and experience from this place. Loads of courses to go on but rarely any progress to progress
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Long days
Full of energy
Professional Driver (Current Employee) –  Reading27 October 2016
As a professional Hackney Carriage Taxi driver I have revolved around many different types of people from a number of different backgrounds, people with disabilities, people with little or no English speaking skills overcoming any difficulties that may have risen. This job is always full of energy meet new people every day from all types of fields.
Pros
Start break and end time anytime
Cons
Some days may consist long hours
regular employment with uniform, holiday pay and sick leave
driver/sweeper (Current Employee) –  Reading25 October 2016
The landscape is changing at RBC. Shift patterns have been altered and have made the job stressful and difficult for those with families and social lives.
Pros
a sense of pride in work achieved
Cons
unworkable shift patterns
Inclusive and professional
Tutor of British Sign Language (Former Employee) –  New Directions, Reading4 July 2016
I worked only two evenings per week.
I learned to become a qualified teacher of adults.
Management was very supportive and encouraging.
The co-workers were very supportive.
The hardest part of the job was the preparation but it was enjoyable as was teaching my subject.
Pros
A very creative, supportive and developmental time.
Cons
It did not become long enough hours
fun place to work
Youth Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Reading, ENG11 November 2015
I loved working with the young carers in reading, facing tough decisions on a daily basis along with the normal stresses and strains of a young child in reading today,
Pros
get to eat whatever foods were on the menu for that week!
Cons

Want to know more about READING BOROUGH COUNCIL?

Ask a question
typical angry resident complains
investigating suspense account occurences (Former Employee) –  reading22 June 2015
They have a really nice building now, sometimes things don't go to plan A or plan B and this is plain to see. You have to say to these people well done guys you turned things around.
Pros
the building is nice
Cons
low pay
not bad place to work
Part time Lifeguard/Leisure attendant (Current Employee) –  Reading6 June 2015
the politics within the company are a joke. if you're a casual attendant and you apply for a full time position, you could do the best interview ever, but if your face doesn't fit, you will not get the job. this has happened to me.i have been working there as a casual for 3 years now, i was told i couldn't improve my interview, yet i couldn't get the job over someone that has never worked in leisure, and doesn't have the required qualifications for the job.
Pros
pays well
Cons
politics are rediculous
Productive and pleasent workplace
Drainage/Highways Operative (Former Employee) –  Reading, ENG12 May 2015
started work at 8 and finished at 4 so nice time to start and finish work, nice to meet people, learned new skills through corses I was put on, work colleges were friendly to work with. The hardest part of the job was working outside in winter and the most enjoyable was left alone to do my days work.
Pros
hours of work
Cons
had to start earlier
Work force great
Voids Technical Ooficer (Current Employee) –  Reading, ENG2 May 2014
Good place to work with a dedicated work force striving to give tenants an exceptional service with limited resources.
Pros
Great dedicated work force.
Cons
lack of funds.
Many in the community were pro-active
Senior Youth & Community Worker (Former Employee) –  Reading, ENG28 November 2013
A very challenging role and environment and being able to empower, some individuals and sections within the community, was very rewarding.
very challenging hard work
Senior Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading, ENG20 November 2013
Although enjoyable making a difference to clients lives. Visiting clients checking satisfaction rostering calls to staff, solving problems in teh community.
Pros
Completer finisher
Cons
out of hours disturbances
Fun workplace
Leisure Attendant (Current Employee) –  Reading, ENG24 October 2013
The managers where I work are amazing, they are willing to help you no matter the situation and I enjoy learning and working with them. I am close to my work colleagues and get on with everyone, but as I am working in various centres I am constantly working with different people all the time. The hardest part of my job can be cleaning on a late shift as you have to clean the whole building which can be dragged out if you are on shift who doesn't have a cleaning standard as high as yours, but I know I can motivate my fellow colleagues. The most enjoyable part is going to work seeing my coworkers, customers and meeting new people.
Pros
Use of swimming pools and gyms around Reading
Cons
Can be tedious and repetitive, I tend to work most weekends as well
Safe, secure workplace
Technical Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Reading15 October 2013
A highly enjoyable but productive place to work. From my previous experience with the NHS I thought the change to Local Government would be very similar but it has not been. My workload has increased dramatically and my need to work self sufficiently has had to improve and it has. I am administrative support for 12 surveyors so the need to manage my workload to be available for them is something that is very important at RBC.
Productive place to work
Land Charges Manager (Former Employee) –  Reading, ENG29 August 2013
AS per Surrey Heath BC duties were identical.

Working within Legislative restrictions
Pros
Flexible arranges
work on my own
Controller (Current Employee) –  reading29 June 2013
one of the easiest jobs i have ever done. some days i wonder why i am there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at READING BOROUGH COUNCIL. Our community is ready to answer.