READING BOROUGH COUNCIL

READING BOROUGH COUNCIL Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
not bad place to work
Part time Lifeguard/Leisure attendant (Current Employee), ReadingJune 6, 2015
Pros: pays well
Cons: politics are rediculous
the politics within the company are a joke. if you're a casual attendant and you apply for a full time position, you could do the best interview ever, but if your face doesn't fit, you will not get the job. this has happened to me.i have been working there as a casual for 3 years now, i was told i couldn't improve my interview, yet i couldn't get the job over someone that has never worked in leisure, and doesn't have the required qualifications for the job.
Productive and pleasent workplace
Drainage/Highways Operative (Former Employee), Reading, ENGMay 12, 2015
Pros: hours of work
Cons: had to start earlier
started work at 8 and finished at 4 so nice time to start and finish work, nice to meet people, learned new skills through corses I was put on, work colleges were friendly to work with. The hardest part of the job was working outside in winter and the most enjoyable was left alone to do my days work.
Work force great
Voids Technical Ooficer (Current Employee), Reading, ENGMay 2, 2014
Pros: great dedicated work force.
Cons: lack of funds.
Good place to work with a dedicated work force striving to give tenants an exceptional service with limited resources.
Many in the community were pro-active
Senior Youth & Community Worker (Former Employee), Reading, ENGNovember 28, 2013
A very challenging role and environment and being able to empower, some individuals and sections within the community, was very rewarding.
very challenging hard work
Senior Care Assistant (Former Employee), Reading, ENGNovember 20, 2013
Pros: completer finisher
Cons: out of hours disturbances
Although enjoyable making a difference to clients lives. Visiting clients checking satisfaction rostering calls to staff, solving problems in teh community.
Fun workplace
Leisure Attendant (Current Employee), Reading, ENGOctober 24, 2013
Pros: use of swimming pools and gyms around reading
Cons: can be tedious and repetitive, i tend to work most weekends as well
The managers where I work are amazing, they are willing to help you no matter the situation and I enjoy learning and working with them. I am close to my work colleagues and get on with everyone, but as I am working in various centres I am constantly working with different people all the time. The hardest part of my job can be cleaning on a late shift as you have to clean the whole building which can be dragged out if you are on shift who doesn't have a cleaning standard as high as yours, but I know I can motivate my fellow colleagues. The most enjoyable part is going to work seeing my coworkers, customers and meeting new people.
Safe, secure workplace
Technical Support Officer (Current Employee), ReadingOctober 15, 2013
A highly enjoyable but productive place to work. From my previous experience with the NHS I thought the change to Local Government would be very similar but it has not been. My workload has increased dramatically and my need to work self sufficiently has had to improve and it has. I am administrative support for 12 surveyors so the need to manage my workload to be available for them is something that is very important at RBC.
Productive place to work
Land Charges Manager (Former Employee), Reading, ENGAugust 29, 2013
Pros: flexible arranges
AS per Surrey Heath BC duties were identical.

Working within Legislative restrictions
work on my own
Controller (Current Employee), readingJune 29, 2013
one of the easiest jobs i have ever done. some days i wonder why i am there.
an enjoyable job
Refuse Collector (Former Employee), Reading, ENGJune 12, 2013
Pros: good rate of pay
Cons: walking an avarage of 22 miles a day
work consisted of loading dustcarts,delivering wheelie bins or collection of bulky household items. my co-workers were easy going
I enjoyed the challenge
Corporate Technical Manager FM (Former Employee), Reading, ENGMay 31, 2013
Pros: only lived 3 miles from the office
Cons: the old boys club
Each day was reasonably planed but could be disrupted by an unexpected incident or problem. I learned from every challenge and then went about eradicating any possibility of it happening again. My co-workers were reasonably pleasant and also understanding. The hardest part of the job was the old boys club, they had a strange mindset and could be obstructive and counter productive. I enjoyed pleasing our customers by getting things right, fighting their corner to improve things. Coming up with new ideas then selling them the senior management getting the funding and then finally implementing the improvement. Saving energy through these ideas also motivated me to do even more and in the end it was a complete success, the dedication paid off.
Swimming Teacher, Receptionist, Leisure Attendant (Current Employee), ReadingMarch 16, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: working most weekends
I have been a Swimming Teacher and Leisure Attendant, reporting for duties throught the day. My job consisted of reception work, cleaning, lifeguarding and interacting with customers. I have learnt a lot about different tyes of people and how to deal with different peoples needs. I enjoy working and interacting with people in a friendly environment. The management levels are good. This job has made me achieve good time keeping standards. As everything is kept to a rota, Therefore to get the most out of the time we spend there we have to keep to time limits to get everything done.
Lifeguard
Lifeguard (Current Employee), ReadingJuly 16, 2012
Pros: free swimming for family and freinds
Cons: long hours hard work and very tiring and energy draining.
I usually made atleast 2 rescue a day at work, patrolling the water slides children tended to find it hard to swim agaisnt the current that the slide was providing.

I also had to aid customers in any way possible, Also friendly talk to customer was something that i was doing a lot, the regular customers enjoyed talking to me about general things.