RBC Employee Reviews

Branch environment review ONLY
Représentante des services financiers (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 July 2016
Very nice clients, very nice colleagues, difficulties with management. Branch environment is not the best of the company since it is very retail oriented- similar to a retail shop- accent is on Sales and work is late hours on end of week and Saturdays. The work is replaced by new technologies and is very repetitve otherwise. Advancement is extremely slowly at best of cases. Many people leaving or changing and never replaced which creates strains for the remaining. Could be extremely stressful because of ever growing sales targets. The company was really the best I have ever worked for only 8 years ago...since the retail concept was implemented, hard to believe it became such an impossible and neurotic environment !
benefits
Cons
advancement
Royal Bank of Canada
Banking Advisor/Mutual Fund Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 October 2016
I enjoy my role at RBC in that it provides me the opportunity daily to offer clients essential and valuable advice in terms of general banking, savings, investing, credit and credit management, mortgages and estates. I've learned over the years that it appears that, in many cases, there is a large percentage of clients who've not been provided key banking information whether from their parents, school(s) or peers. I take a great amount of pride in providing clients excellent advice and products to assist them in reaching their goals and managing their finances wisely and responsibly. My peers are among the most professional and financially educated colleagues I've worked with and enjoy their partnership and team based values.
Pros
Salary range compared to competitors
they should learn how to manager people
Account Manager/Banking Advisor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 April 2016
the branch i work with, the manager there was very very bad, you have do every little thing, even it is not related to your role, he is still asking you to do it everyday. And he is kind of force me to stay the branch where i worked, not allow me to transfer to other locations. Also, when i registered a course which rbc will pay for it, it took him 3 month to get this approved and it happened twice in last two yrs. He basically does not want to give you any raise, always saying that you do not have enough experience for this you do not have any experience for that. His management skills are horrible.
Pros
other people sees that you have a good job but you basically do not
Cons
long hours, salary based, you will have to work at least 5 hours extra every week at least
Good training, poor management
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB13 September 2016
Developed vision problems on the job; RBC's insurance company refused to pay benefits. Income was cut off. Credit was severely damaged. Was promised return to work program, though was never rehired due to "job no longer available." Quite illegal practice at this company. Regretful of this as a career choice. Would never recommend.
Cons
LTD program is deficient; Management does not support staff.
A typical large organization
Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 August 2016
Like any publically traded, profit driven enterprise, RBC pays a great deal of lip service to their values and how important a role their people play in the bank's success. But make no mistake, unless you have significant tenure, an online MBA from Harvard and are willing to "bleed blue", your importance will only go so far. One term that speaks to the "culture" at RBC is hierarchical. As a low to mid-level employee, you're often discouraged from questioning decisions or seeking clarification. And like virtually all large enterprises, lines of business at RBC operate in their own silos, making cross-functional collaboration challenging.
Pros
Good pay, competitive benefits
Cons
You're a very small cog in a very large machine
High political environment
TOKENS OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2016
People with no skills are promoted if they have the right connections, while the qualified workers could be kept as the best kept secret in the organization, overlooked for recognition and advancement of career. It's basically a popularity competition of sorts.
Same goes for recruitment, if you know an insider who knows job openings , or a relative, they can influence management to get you the job. This is apparent when you see off springs of employees in high positions being immediately employed even if not qualified.
Pros
1 hr breaks, good lunch area
Cons
no job stability
Needs some help
Account Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 November 2016
Company could do with a reassessment of benefits and salaries. This leading bank can be a great place to work and with amazing people. However, they try to sell you the idea that overall employee benefits and compensation outweigh low wages. Unfortunately, the present time value of money is greater than a lot of the benefits they offer...not to mention you must be a permanent employee for these benefits.

Management can vary according to your team. Coworkers also are dependent on your team.

Room for growth is very, very little in Quebec.
Great co-workers and some pretty awesome clients
Client Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 July 2016
I found management unhelpful and could not seem to prioritize either our goals and/or purpose. Sales driven without equitable distribution of acknowledgement dispersed to all staff. Incredible pressure to achieve sales targets with "chats" if the sales were not achieved, even those employees that have been with RBC for going on 30 years were feeling threatened. Work/Life balance valuation is poor at best. Constant split days off and changes to job arrangements without any recourse for the employee.
My schedule changed 3 times adding more hours and days with another change coming again in June which lead me to leave.
Pros
Year end bonus
Cons
Work arrangements changing constantly and sales pressure is intense
great company
Client Advisor (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 June 2016
constructive and supportive work experience, feeling of value in your position. advancement opportunities and great in number. want to see you succeed in targets and offer guidance and support in getting you the numbers you want. goal setting mentality. RBC culture and community involvement are great. benefits and perks are awesome.
Pros
benefits, steady pay, vacation pay, points and rewards, end of year bonus
Cons
tirsome doing the same thing every day, no commision in targets
Such a great, fun place to work
Quality Assurance Analyst - Co-op (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 June 2016
The team environment is great, management is supportive of career advancement, team leads will support you and report a job well done to management. Competitive salary and great benefits. If you work hard, you'll do well here.
Pros
Boss's treat!
Cons
None I can think of
Great Company but some Senior Management Concerns
technology delivery (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 June 2016
The company is a great to work for and colleagues are fairly decent. Pay is relatively good, benefits are average. Management - highs and lows, depends on the team you are in. There are areas in the bank where management is great.

There are areas in the bank where the staff are often made the scapegoat because the middle management make mistakes or do not take accountability for delivery that they are responsible for. Where management is comprised of people who where from the capital market side of the business, you need to be very careful. Always need to be vigilant and need to protect yourself. Mean, cheating, bullies and backstabbing is found very often.
Pros
co-workers, some very good management, challenging work
Cons
Top heavy, too many layers, low moral is some areas
Fun place to work
Disputes specialist (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 August 2016
This company offers great salary and great benefits , this company also offers activities and events that we are able to participate in . Great management
Pros
Activities
Cons
Career advancement
Never a repeated day....
Senior Project Manager-Digital Strategy (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 July 2016
As a PM, my typical day is anything but typical. I am balancing between providing guidance to all my project team members, delegating tasks, communicating to stakeholders, while dealing with sponsor requests, meetings, and emails.

I am also a "Change Champion" for an enterprise-wide shift to agile methodology. As a Senior PM, my expertise and approach to change is valuable and utilized to explain, demonstrate and instill the changes.

I am constantly learning, as every project I have is with a different line of business that is jumping on the bandwagon of digital. I've worked directly with Mobile and on-line banking and Cards & Payments.

Management is good at RBC, although more transparency about decisions that affect the division, needs to be more forth coming.

I love the people I work with - supportive, fun and always willing to pitch in for the project.

The hardest part of the job is navigating through how other people work, but that is also the most fun part (as I am a real people person).

I am at a point in my career where I know I can go to the next level - either as a Change leader and Program Manager or as a leader in a Program Management Office (PMO).

I also recently spent a few weeks in Ireland and fell in love with the entire country, the people, and culture. Plus, knowing that Dublin is becoming a force to be reckoned with in the tech industry, it has solidified my decision to continue my career in Ireland.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Not challenging enough for me at this point
Weak leadership turns engagement into disengagement.
Banking Advisor (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON2 May 2016
I took the Banking Advisor role with all the enthusiasm in the world and meeting clients is always fun, but the environment has soured that enthusiasm. The advertisement is advice, but to be clear you don’t get measured to provide advice. You get measured to push product. Wrap extremely weak leadership around it and your day turns into a race to get it over with. I love sales, but the environment needs to be positive, supportive and achievable without having to cheat or trying to trick customers under the guise of providing advice.

It’s astonishing to have someone tell that you need to suck and blow at the same time while having a straight face. I have worked for awesome leaders in the past, but it is definitely a culture of blame at the retail level.
Pros
At a higher level, it is a good organization.
Cons
Ultra high micro management and you will need a very thick skin.
Not a bad company to work for. Room for advancement.
Client Access Support Team Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2016
The job was always challenging and interaction with customers was rewarding. The culture changed in the nineties. Employee benefits were reduced and mutual loyalty between employees and the company took a hit.
Retrieved credit bureaus for co-applicant clients to be added on Primary’s Visa or MasterCard Account
ACCOUNTS SERVICES AGENT (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 September 2016
* A typical day at work - Very Busy from beginning to the end. I loved it. it was a great experience.

* What I learned - everything there is to know in a banking industry, especially when clients are requesting limit increases and/or requesting a co-applicant credit card.

*Management- my supervisors were amazing

*My Co-Workers- Incredibly wonderful bunch. A lot of team work.

*The hardest part of the job- Not sure. I didn't find anything difficult.

* The most enjoyable part of the job- Everything.
Pros
Great Team Work and I loved my position- day went by fast. You just have to work fast, as you would have to process so many applications in a day.
Cons
it was only a contract job. Wasn't able to get in permanently
Good Company with good culture..
Network Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 November 2016
The company provides decent services with good corporate culture and technical management. The IT/ Network Analyst work-hours are typically as expected. Not much after work-hour activities and on-call..
Pros
Nice location. Good culture.
Cons
Not much work from Home-office.
Job security always at risk
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2016
Salaries are competitive. Management is very poor. The salaries of workers were openly discussed among employees, and the atmosphere was always very tens. People were afraid to call in genuinely ill, spreading illness to everyone on the team, eventually causing a domino effect. Everyone was always scared for their job security, and morale was very low.
Professional and respectful employee relationships
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 August 2016
RBC concentrates on core values such as integrity, respect, privacy and diversity.
RBC gives opportunity to hard working individuals to grow and succeed.
Pros
Competitive salary
Wonderful place to work
Fraud Agent, Endorsements (Bilingual) (Former Employee) –  York Mills, ON19 April 2016
I enjoyed my second career at RBC starting at age 45. I would hard but the support of my various managers and colleagues was commendable; my interest in Fraud fighting was born and lasts to this day. Workplace Assessments led to helpful accomodation. The commute to my final position was the hardest part of the job , A whole new industry with the chance to offer innovative suggestions and to learn about varied products thus building on my prior years of bilingual help desk work in the totally unrelated telecommunications industry have encouraged me to continue seeking to fight fraud in any arena.
Pros
Learning experience; new career ; salary and benefits
Cons
Commute once my team's site relocated to over an hour each way