Randstad

Randstad Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Workplace, Underpar Supervison
Assembly Operator (Former Employee), Mount Forest, ONMay 24, 2015
Pros: good benefits, three breaks
Cons: poor supervision, lack of team-work in a team environment, could have better pay for tasks
At Dana, everyone would arrive approximately 5-15 minutes early, listen to an overview of what was going to be happening for the day, then go to the floor. Every hour we would rotate stations to prevent us from doing task with too much repetition and have three breaks (one every two hours).

I learned how to build and inspect their parts on multiple lines, as well as how to trouble shoot and solve mechanical issues when machinery was malfunctioning and the machine setters were busy elsewhere. Over my first two months, I also learned how to work my line as quickly and efficiently as some whom had been there for a year or two longer than I had.

My supervisor always seemed like he was great, very approachable and nice, until I realized that the issues that I would present to him wouldn't be resolved and he would pick favourites with employees.

Most of the co-workers at Dana were miserable people and some went out of their way to make their peer's work-life miserable as well. There were a select few that were either great to work with or neutral. There's an over-all lack of morale and the QC expert would pick and choose which quality she controlled based on who did her favours.

I didn't find working at Dana very hard, the tasks were simple enough, although it was difficult to keep up on some lines that I was unfamiliar with; nothing that I would not be confident that I could adjust to over time.

The sense of accomplishment I got was the most enjoyable part. Meeting quotas for the night and beating self-set goals over time made me feel like I was doing really well, – more... which obviously feels great. – less
IT Recruier-Intern
Human Resource-IT Recruiter (Intern) (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 7, 2012
Manage the external recruitment process for a designated region and/or assigned client groups, mainly for professional and high volume areas, in order to secure qualified personnel for the required client/organization. Bring rigor and critical oversight to the recruitment function, supporting hiring managers and HR business partners in candidate attraction and assessment. Identify and implement strategic recruiting channels and methods.

Develop cost effective, efficient and innovative solutions to meet staffing needs. Maximize the efficiency and timeliness of recruitment processes while demonstrating the highest level of quality and integrity to potential hires. Develop a thorough understanding of the market sector and ensure Trader's competitiveness in recruiting.

Partnering with hiring managers on recruitment best practices including sourcing, pipelining candidates for key roles, interview techniques, proper documentation, and other assessment tools as required. Manage interactions with external vendor partnering with Trader in recruitment efforts.

Implement and maintain the applicant tracking system, (Taleo) including the development and maintenance of recruitment statistics, analysis, and other reporting as required with a proven ability perform data analysis, identify trends and make appropriate recommendation to correct/improve performance.

Working as part of a Human Resources team, participate in a wide variety of projects, programs and initiatives as assigned by the Manager - Talent Acquisition.
Specialties
• Recruitment
• Selection
• Sourcing
• Relationship Building – more...
• Job Analysis
• Interviewing
• Business Development
• Networking
• Negotiation Skills
Excellent Communication skills and grammar accuracy, hard worker and fast learner, Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and other basic computer skills, customer service, WHIMS safety procedures, presentations and seminars, managing people, organizing tasks – less
Productive office with friendly coworkers and supportive management
Business Development Coordinator/Resource Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: excellent team environment
Cons: job orders reflected the market
My typical day at work consisted of
- Making 60 cold calls in the morning through Excel spread sheets
- Linkedin searches for potential candidates
- Conducting two candidate or energy professional (referrals) meetings/interviews per day
- Two candidate presentations to Account Managers per day
- Reviewing/making adjustments to resumes
- 2-3 reference checks per candidate
- Entering all e-mails, phone call conversations, resumes, personal information and voice mail messages into ProConnect database
- Mapping out potential clients departments or divisions using Visio
- Organizing my Lead Account Manager's meetings with my own meetings and ensuring that they were compatible with each others schedules.
- Researching Oil&Gas companies to keep up with market trends and news

I learned a great deal about the oil and gas industry, different engineering/energy professionals and what their jobs consist of. I also learned different tactics on how to approach different personalities.

The challenge I faced in my job was to ensure that both the recruiter and the account manager communicated sufficiently so that they could relay the correct information back to either the candidate or the client.

What I enjoyed most was meeting new people and hearing each individuals career story and their accomplishments. After every meeting I always learned something new.

Management was very supportive and everyone was made clear of their three expectations.
1. Positive Attitude
2. Strong work ethic
3. Doing all of your activities on a daily basis
Don't get hurt!
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Guelph, OntarioSeptember 12, 2013
Pros: can't think of any
Cons: too many to list
I got injured while on assignment and the client let me go and Ranstad didn't want to even know my name anymore.
They claimed it wasn't a workplace injury.
It was 100% but ended up not serious so I didn't have to pursue it.
When I see an advertisement from Ranstad I bypass it immediately.
They still send me e-mails periodically for placements, I'd like to say "they got some nerve" but the truth is they are that dis-organized they don't even realize.

Obviously they can't fill their positions and are scrambling for candidates.
I've been around the warehousing industry for 30 years and I see jobs listed by Ranstad and other agencies that have been on the temp market for 10+ years, the positions never stay filled because they are that bad and the companies just shop them around from one agency to another.

My advice to anyone looking for employment is that you are better off to seek permanent employment with a company that is hiring directly. Although some companies do hire agency people, the majority of the time it is just "dangling the carrot" to increase productivity and nothing will ever come of it.

I've worked at assignment were the companie utilizes 60 or 70 temps and hires about 1 or 2 a year so the other 68 will think they might get the "brass ring".
Not for me, thanks!
Better when they were Spherion
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBMay 1, 2012
Cons: barely any call backs, no call backs at all, limited jobs
I left for 2 months, came back since I could use their service any time when they were Spherion... Boom! Finding out the news that they have been taken over by Ranstad, barely any call backs when I give them my availability so it's much more harder and more competitive to get a job in my field. Now I'm stuck making fries to find a better job to pass the time - isn't that great? At least with Spherion the person who looked after my assignments was still there and it felt like a friendly environment, unlike Ranstad now - you just feel like another number. What bout the recent graduates? Where do they end up now? Most of what Ranstad is looking for are people with cars, 1 - 2 years+ experience, etc. The point that I'm getting at is some people don't have cars because they're saving up, some people who doesn't have that experience aren't that lucky with Ranstad any more since the job market is tight and they've expanded hence is why it's all limited now. If there are any placement agencies in Winnipeg that would kindly take the new college graduates right away that would be great.

May 4, 2012

You said here exactly the way I think about it. Thanks

July 19, 2012

Randstads standards and screening process Is far superior to Spherion! It's a fact. This is why you may not make the grade this time around. Sorry bud.

Randstad itself is a great company, my department was not
Administrator (Former Employee), Head OfficeDecember 5, 2013
Pros: lunches, treat days, beer fridays
Cons: long hours required, poor management no guidence
Randstad is a really good company to work for, the department I worked for however was not. The company has lots of weekly and monthly events that make working for them fun. Other departments were very happy and the employees looked forward to coming to work everyday. The people in other departments had lunches together and liked their co workers. The department I worked for was an awful experience. There was little to no guidance and the managers did not have the skills necessary or the ability to be good managers. The company has a great atmosphere but our departments was very oppressive. Everyone had their headphones in and could not care less about who was sitting next to them. Any events the company was having were usually not attended by my department or were attended briefly. Most were looking for a way out of the department. We had a legit morale problem and the managers were unable to solve it by their halfhearted attempts. You will know within an hour which department this is if you get hired because there will be no attempt to integrate the new coworker within the department. You will be left to your own devices very quickly and most likely will not have an on boarding.
Interviewer did not understand what I was explaining to her - Awful
Sales Analysis (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 10, 2013
Pros: absolutely nothing
Cons: i'll never get that hour back, nor the hour i spent driving to this terrible place
I was rejected for two positions after an interview and it was so horrible that I almost walked out part way through. The interviewer insisted that I give her names for former managers when I explained to her that the company in question does not give personal references. It simply wasn't good enough to contact the HR department of any company and references of former managers I provided were systematically "scratched" for ridiculous reasons. I also pointed her to the numerous references left on my Linkedin profile which she refused to consider.

She also couldn't understand how my prior work in a nearly identical role made me a good candidate for these jobs. She tried to pigeonhole me into saying I either wanted to work for a large or small company which did not matter to be and I told her exactly that.

She concluded the interview by asking me if I could lift 50 pounds over my head. I asked her how that was relevant to an office position, and she had no answer.
Horrible
HR and Recruitment Intern (Former Employee), OntarioApril 5, 2012
Pros: the office was in a vibrant neighbourhood
Cons: everything
Although, I was an intern at Randstad, this place was terrible! First off, the job description that the company advertises the internship with is completely MISLEADING. You don't do anything that it says except for basically working your behind off to find candidates for jobs. The staff is not friendly. They don't talk to you and wont approach you unless they want you to do something for them. In some teams, they make you work as if you're actually making money but you're not! They want you to treat the internship like a real job but they treat you like dirt and wont acknowledge any of your achievements or placements. In a nutshell, I was there for almost 3 months and all I did (day in and day out) was search for people to fill jobs and did 3 reference checks. THAT IS ALL! I would've left after 2 weeks but thought it would get better but didn't, so I just stayed to write it on my resume. I would not recommend Randstad for an internship or as a place of employment to anyone. All the other interns I worked with felt the exact same way. NEVER AGAIN!
Good place to acquire neccessary skills i social work and meet people
Support Worker (Former Employee), London, ONOctober 3, 2014
Pros: free lunch, two and half rate pay if work on bank holidays, flexible
Cons: long days and no employer pension
Working at Randstad care helped me to acquire important skills in the social service. Staff must be enthusiastic in wanting to learn if interested in developing himself /herself professionally.

The management were strict but very honest in judging staff. They are very professional and result oriented. They have huge numbers of employees in various disciplining just like London Borough of Enfield where New Options is a unit.

Excellent place to start a career in health and social work professions.

I had wonderful moments working with interesting clients and staff and some unpleasant moment as in most jobs. Through the job I had opportunities to visit places of interest in United kingdom and also some sober time with client that have behaviours that Challenge.

I saw the challenges in the job as an opportunity to grow in knowledge and skills
Great place to work!
Certified Staffing Consultant (Current Employee), Oakville, ONFebruary 9, 2015
Randstad Canada is the Canadian leader for staffing, recruitment and HR Services. As the only fully integrated staffing company in the country, we understand the recruitment needs and demands of employers and job seekers across all levels and industries. Through our insightful knowledge of local markets, employment trends and global network of recruitment experts, we are shaping the Canadian world of work.

Randstad Staffing specializes in temporary staffing and permanent placement for specific industry sectors. A key factor that differentiates Randstad Staffing from other companies is our unique unit structure. Each unit consists of two consultants who are responsible for both client service and candidate selection. Our staffing consultants work as a team; ensuring one is always available to both clients and candidates. They work hard to develop an understanding of how each client operates and who will meet their hiring needs, while also getting to know each applicant - to understand the skills, experience and qualities that will help them find the right job fit.
Contract continuosly extended
Temporary Contract-Customer Care Reprsentative (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 19, 2015
Pros: staff, computer based work
Cons: long hours, underpaid, unrealistic expectations
With hard work and dedication my 2 to 4 week contract was extended until I unfortunately chose to commence maternity leave after four and a half months. A typical day would be checking and responding to emails and opening 3 systems, combining all of the information to one place, sending it off to a different team so that they could do their job.Sadly, Management is the reason I have chosen not to return to the placement I had been with. My coworkers were extremely helpful if ever I needed any assistance in anything at all. The hardest part of this job was the lack of professionalism I experienced with my immediate supervisor. The most enjoyable was the amount of information and knowledge I learned and took away with me.
Inconsistent agency
Production Associate (Current Employee), HamiltonFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: n/a
Cons: temporary work and unfair management.
The account manager hired me for a Mon-Fri fulltime work and after couple of days I started working in an automative company. After more than 2 weeks of regular hours work they just sent me a message thru email saying my shift has been cancel and its been almost 2 weeks now since they let me work in their cliient. Whenever I ask them when I will go again to work they're just repeating the same invalid reason that they haven't been notified yet for the changes of schedule, they cannot even tell you when you're gonna start again or not. They're not answering they're phone calls and emails most of the time. While the new employees who came after me are still having their regular hours of work. I will not recommend it. They're not doing what they promised during your interview.
Great place to work, but unfortunately i do not get the hours or the pay that i should receive.
Reach Truck Operator (Current Employee), Brampton, ONJuly 9, 2014
Pros: great environment and people.
Cons: shortened hours.
I drive a Reach Truck and extremely love doing my job and am great at doing it as well. I've learned how to work fast in a fast paced environment with quota.
Also i have learned how to be completely safe driving a machine in a heavily populated environment. There is an extensive amount of forklift traffic as well.
The hardest part of the job would have to be when the company is slow and they need the people higher up like myself to go and run the conveyor due to the fact of minimal work for my position. I do not mind doing what is needed at all and will go to the position they need, but because of the situation at hand with minimal work they cancel shifts and send us home half day.
I just need a stable position doing what i am good at so that i can stay on track and pay bills that need to be payed.
A good place to start
General Laborer (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: very little required to sign up, variety of work locations
Cons: unstable hours that you can't support yourself on forever
Randstad is a staffing agency, meaning that while I am their employee, they actually send me out to various locations that require an extra hand for the day.
I call in on Monday and let them know that I am available for work that week and then wait to hear if there's anywhere that could use a worker for the day.
This is great in that you can work in a lot of places you've never thought of before, but on the other hand, it is extremely unstable. Sometimes you can be continuously working for months at a time, while other times you haven't worked in any number of days/weeks/months.
The actual Randstad staff are nice and helpful, doing what they can to get you work and keep your WHIMIS, etc. up to date.
Great Entry Level Experience-- Low on rewards/high burnout
Account Manager (Current Employee), GTAJune 19, 2013
Pros: good experience, positive relationships with coworkers, speedy advancement
Cons: poor training, lack of support, unrealistic performance expectations, little opportunity for growth beyond a certain level
A great place for new HR grads to get usable experience. This job forces one to be organized and work in a high pressure environment with tight deadlines and strict performance expectations. Unfortunately, these expectations are beyond what is achievable in a 40 hour work-week. Training is rushed and informal. The organization runs very lean and support is lacking. Coworkers are enjoyable, as most are from similar backgrounds/stages in life. The most difficult part about working for Randstad is the constantly changing expectations that come with client service-- filling last minute requests, staying late, etc. Randstad management can be overbearing, offering a lot of criticisms but little in the way of support/solutions.
excellent learning opportunity
Telecommunication Apprentice (Former Employee), Victoria, BCApril 18, 2013
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: there was sometimes nothing to do
When I was working as a telecommunication apprentice at the DND dockyard, I usually learned something new every day and I enjoyed myself. The people were great to work for because they were full of enthusiasm and always liked to teach me something new. A typical day at work would look like this, I would walk into the office at 7 30 am and I would wait until my co workers wanted to complete some work and I would go with them to a job site. At the job site I was usually given a job to either help pull new wires in or test and terminate new wires. I found that the work was very technical and could be physically demanding at times but I learned a lot about telecommunication and I thoroughly enjoyed my job. I would of liked to stay there but the government only created a six month long position to assist the people at the base until my assistance was no longer needed.
material hanler
1 Material handler (Former Employee), guelph ontarioMarch 23, 2014
Pros: free cool down time during the summers and free ice cream
Cons: the only two i have are breaks are short and cafeteria isnt open on sundays
fast paced and very dependable
enjoy making new friends
sometimes it can be hectic at times but all in all sometimes a lazy day lol
summers are more relaxing for the health and safety of their employees ,
friendly coworkers fun to joke and have fun on the job to make the time pass more quickly
the hardest part of the job is making your quota when the machines break down ,
i learned that when you work as a team player in the company things get done faster and better . there is no I in teamwork
management do try and keep things on the ball i give them 2 thumbs up
Don't be fooled.
Warehouse Technician, Office (Former Employee), randstad pointe claireMay 16, 2012
Pros: pro cons..
Cons: the employees
Ranstad is known for their fake high wage job postings, they advertise postings with Higher Pay Rates, and then they end up offering you a lower wage position not advertised, you will end up with 2 different agents handling your account, and inform you, while we wait for this "Higher wage" position to become available, we current have this opening, yes pay is less, but as soon as the other one opens up, you'll be eligible.

They will waste your time, I told them on the phone, I was interested in the posting as advertised, and emailed my resume prior to going in, they said, yes this position is still very much available, come in and we will set it up, but sure enough they waste your time and gas, by offering a lower wage position once your there in person.

Ref: randstad pointe claire

July 19, 2012

I work for a staffing company and you ae so wrong on this, first of all agencies have many jobs and many posting at many various wages! It's in an agencies best interest to pay more but they are often restricted by the client. Some agencies operate this way, the one that you mentioned is one of the most ethical firms out there. They only work with companies that pay market rates or better! I know this for sure. You may not have the skill set to qualify for higher paying roles and are a little bitter, instead of blogging misleading column, upgrade your skills and you will find a better job. Sorry just the truth.

October 22, 2012

Your correct most agencies will advertise for position which is open for higher rate, if persons not suited for specific position they will be offered another role for low rate. Technically speaking agency wins the other person loses out to gain a higher wage. The person which commented about this person upgrading their skill set, clearly you work for Randstead doing damage control moderating the comments on this site. Everyone which reads this post remeber everything comes down to money this is typically take advantage.

typical temp agency
Skilled Labor Worker (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: easy, simple work.
Cons: inconsistent work opportunities.
a day at work would begin with receiving a phone call from ranstad and have them tell you were your next placement would be, you would then go to that placement, do a days worth of work and hope that you will be "required" again tomorrow. This being my first real job, i learned a lot of team work skills and how to operate under a fast paced environment. Management was not too bad and many of my co-workers became good friends. The hardest part of the job was leaving the placement one day and wondering whether or not i would have work again the next day.the most enjoyable part was often how fast the days went by, there was always more work to be done at most placements and i also met a lot of great people.
Does not give you all the info they should about the assignment
warehouse worker (Former Employee), kitchener, OntarioSeptember 3, 2013
Pros: paid weekly
Cons: everything else
I was told the hours of the job and when i got there I found out its one of those jobs you go till your finished your work, so some days are longer and some shorter, this should be told too person before starting. Also they say you can get hired after 3 months and once working i find out no one is hired and no guarantee when it might happen or if it will.One other issue is they post the wage as a range ex $xx - $xx hr, based on experience, well they always give you the lower end of the wage no matter if your more then qualified for position.
Industry