Interested in this position or know someone that would be a great fit? Please apply HERE with the Subject: “Project Engineer”
Rakia Galt is a leader in the recruitment and staffing industry, specializing in connecting the right people with the right opportunities in the Canadian construction, energy and mining sectors.
Position: Project Engineer
Location: Victoria, BC
Start Date: December 2012
Primary responsibility is to create and implement sound electrical designs, prepare specifications and manage engineering projects while following the company's standard processes and procedures.
- 5 years of experience in a related industry. Experience in Medium and High voltage an asset
- Field experience with electrical power equipment verification and testing an asset
- Registered or eligible for registration with APEGBC/ASTTBC
- Knowledge of CEC and IEEE standards
- Knowledge of power distribution, switchgear, generation and substations
- Knowledge of PLC programming an asset
- MS Office skills – Excellent
- Proficient with Power system modeling software, ETAP is an asset
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
- Strong team skills
- Valid driver's license. Travel will be required for project commissioning and on-site review
-Development and design of the power distribution and transmission systems (HV/MV/LV), including single line diagrams, three line diagrams, AC/DC schematics, control drawings, building systems layouts, substation, switch gear and communication systems.
-Electrical protection and control including relay coordination and relay setting.
-Power system studies including but not limited to: Load flow, Short Circuit, coordination, Arc Flash, Ground grid and motor starting analysis
-Engineering calculations and analysis for demand load, equipment sizing, voltage drop, motor starting, neutral grounding resistors (NGR's), and system power factor improvement.
-Analysis of P&ID's and mechanical equipment.
-Liaison and integration of electrical designs with control system designs.
-Specify and select electrical equipment, prepare data sheets, prepare RFQ's and material requisitions.
-Interface with Vendors, review Vendor bids, conduct technical evaluations and make recommendations.
-Design substation layouts, grounding layouts and electrical equipment layouts including control panels, lighting and cable tray.
-Prepare electrical cable schedules
-Preparation of project documentation including operation and maintenance manuals, protection philosophy, project design basis and drawings
-Provide technical support to fellow team members and clients as required
-Manage and schedule projects in conjunction with colleagues and clients needs and demands
-Field testing and commissioning of electrical designs
-Prepare project cost estimates
-Desire to learn and research topics outside area of expertise to implement within new designs.
-Responsible to keep all project files/materials/equipment stored neatly and clearly identified in accordance with company polices and procedures
- Positive outlook both internally and externally
- Work to achieve overall company goals.
- Foster teamwork
- Communicate sales opportunities beyond the scope of this position to the BD Manager.
- Develop, present and implement new business ideas to engineering manager
- Take part in meetings both internally and externally with clients
- It is the responsibility of all employees to work safely