Rainbow Foods Employee Reviews

Productive and fast-paced position.
PRODUCE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MN8 December 2016
Assisted customers in making purchasing decisions and in locating groceries. Unloaded trucks and inspected all deliveries to ensure freshness. Management and co-workers were enjoyable to work with. Most enjoyable part of job was being able to interact with people and assist them.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
Schedule varied week to week. Was not a set schedule.
Cashiering
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cottage Grove, MN13 January 2017
I enjoyed working with the people I worked with. I enjoyed the management staff. I would not have any negative comments to this company. I would say that I would liked to see that the break room was a more secure place to leave belongings.
Pros
friendly employees, enjoyable environment to work in
Cons
Secure break rooms more for personal belongings
Grocery store
Employee/Leader (Former Employee) –  Savage, MN16 March 2017
Employee/Leader
Stocked shelves, assisted with customers, assisted with training new employees, and department manager part-time.
Good company to work for if you want a career in the grocery store
unfortunately they no loner exist
cashier management
Cashier/Floral and Front end manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN9 February 2017
I started as a cashier, i managed floral department and also 5 cashiers at times separately. it was union-ed, salary was based on hours worked until full time
Pros
benefits was good
Cons
had to be offered fulltime
fun place to work, low, low pay
Floor Care/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MN21 November 2016
Busy always busy, management really acts like they don't care about the employees or other issues that go on @ the store.
great working skills and place
Full-time Journeyman Meatcutter (Former Employee) –  Cottage Grove, MN11 February 2017
great employees,great customers,always happy with my work, everyone was like one big happy family, i still see some customers and some old employees when i am working at menards in cottage grove mn.we all miss each other
Pros
good all around
Cons
happy with everything easy going
I loved the variety of Decorating
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN6 February 2017
This store was the busiest of all of the Rainbow Stores. i loved it there because i begged for time insted of watching it. i like a fast past store. When I left the Store Manager begged me to come back.
Pros
My co-workers wher just reat to work with.
cool job
Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VA11 December 2016
Good and fair employer with a family atmosphere. Here you will give an honest days work for an honest days pay. Lots of interaction with people and seeing new faces daily
Pros
free lunch
Wonderful Company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MN13 August 2016
Rainbow Foods was a wonderful company based on good prices, safety of products/employees and guests and community. One of the things I really liked about Rainbow Foods is that each staff member took the time to get to know their customers to the best of their abilities. I cannot think of a downside to Rainbow Foods! The coworkers, guests and company are overall wonderful!
Pros
Great Work Enviroment
Cons
N/A
good people
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MN 554169 August 2016
great people but the house are not that flexable if you are looking for a good job for part time work its ok. its a great job if your looking for a job fast
Pros
pay is good people are even better
An okay place to work, but not great if looking for full time
Grocery/Night Stock (Current Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MN16 July 2014
Typically depending on what day/night it was you were either stocking the shelves and facing the store to look nice for the customers in the morning, or you were simply facing the store and then working any overstock from the back to shelves.

Occasionally you would have to do other things such as pushing carts off the lot that were left over from the day, or work on another department's stuff if they were behind, but otherwise, it was pretty straight forward.

We had our fair share of bad workers and bad managers, but what business doesn't have those?

Sadly, the business is closing in a week.
Pros
Decent length breaks, okay pay, not too difficult job
Cons
Bad management, no advancement, and pay freezes
Overall a good place to work
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Blaine, MN28 May 2013
I would say that it is a great place to work for a first job. You get benefits which most young people aren't looking for when they are going for their first job. It isn't easy to get a job that matches its wages or potential wages despite being on the bottom rung of the ladder in the store. It is a positive and a negative aspect of this business. You only get a pay raise for jumping to full time regardless of your position. You can be a cashier, stocker, manager, or deli clerk and receive the same wage scale regardless of the varying levels of responsibility. If you can get into their full time positions, it is an excellent place to make a life long career.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Forest Lake, MN24 March 2013
I really enjoyed working at Rainbow Foods and think it was a shame they closed. The management was great and did they best they could to help create a schedule that was flexible for you. We were all a big family and it was always fun coming into work. The hardest part of the job was double coupon days when it was extremely busy, but it helped teach a lot of time management and patience skills. The co-workers and getting to see all the regular customers was definitely the best part of the job.
Pros
great co-workers, flexible, good compensation
Cons
short breaks, double coupon days
Bagger/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GA4 March 2016
The management somewhat good. My co-workers easy to get along with as a team. The most enjoyable part of the job help customers with there grocery.
Basically worked alone without direct supervision,challenging yet rewarding in many ways.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GA3 November 2015
Rainbow Foods LLC opened it's doors in 2004 for a community that was in need of a grocery store by private owners.

There were many challenges, but none that couldn't be overcome with the experience of our team and owners who had been in the grocery business for 30 plus years.

For me personally, a typical day was having the ability to shift gears and re priortize given an unforeseen issue that may arise, either in HR or AP. The postition I was originally hired for, Price Coordinator quickly turned into Office manager. I am proud to admit, this sudden promotion was a self taught position. It was certainly a challenge, however it allowed me to learn a wide range of responsibilites from the legal aspects of running a business, Insurance including health, workers comp and liability, accounts payable using QuickBooks, among many other aspects of the job title.

I was fortunate to work along with co workers from many different backgrounds, which enabled me to learn better communication skills.
It was rewarding for me being over HR and developing a genuine repoire within healthy boundaries.

I would consider year end requirements the toughfest. The daily responsibilities had to continue, but that's when you just do what you have to and put in the hours needed to complete the task.
Pros
Benefits, health insurance, mileage reimbursement, paid vacation, Christmas bonus & a cruise.
Cons
No window in my office.
Rainbow Foods was right across the street.
Bookkeeper, Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Richfield, MN11 February 2016
I really enjoyed this job. I enjoyed working with my customer and coworkers. The hardest part of the job was holidays. I learned bookkeeping, customer service, management skills, ordering, preventing shrink and much, much more.
Alright
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MN6 March 2015
Most days I would go in and do the same monotonous work over and over again. It was difficult to keep up with all the deals and promotions that changed almost every week without being informed. The coworkers were not very friendly nor were they helpful. Memorizing codes was a huge portion of this job so my memory has benefited from it greatly. While the hardest portion was standing in one spot for hours on end.
Pros
Union with Benifits
Cons
Non-informative
Great first job
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Blaine, MN17 April 2016
I started at Rainbow Foods grocery at the age of 16. My first position was the produce clerk for the summer and soon I moved to cashier when school resumed. As cashier I learned a lot about customer service. Within a year I was promoted to service manager where I managed all cashiers and dealt with customer complaints. In all this was a great first job.
Fun Place to work at.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Maplewood, MN26 May 2016
Working a Rainbow Foods is a great working environment. The people I work with are very kind and humble. If I need help with anything they are eager to help. The customers are also great.
Pros
10 % discount
Cons
Short breaks
loved the coustomers and the job as a hole
Manager (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MI20 December 2015
Customer service and data entry. I learned to deal with all walks of life and to adapt to any situation. Management was great to work for and the co workers all ways got along. The hardest part of the job was mean people at times. I loved working with the public.
Pros
free food and snacks
Cons
no breaks and no insurance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rainbow Foods. Our community is ready to answer.

71%