Rainbow Foods Employee Reviews

Great first job
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Blaine, MNApril 17, 2016
I started at Rainbow Foods grocery at the age of 16. My first position was the produce clerk for the summer and soon I moved to cashier when school resumed. As cashier I learned a lot about customer service. Within a year I was promoted to service manager where I managed all cashiers and dealt with customer complaints. In all this was a great first job.
Rainbow Foods was right across the street.
Bookkeeper, Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Richfield, MNFebruary 11, 2016
I really enjoyed this job. I enjoyed working with my customer and coworkers. The hardest part of the job was holidays. I learned bookkeeping, customer service, management skills, ordering, preventing shrink and much, much more.
A very nice place to work
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNApril 5, 2016
Very friendly environment and have a willingness to work with a variety of schedules. A wide variety of skills are needed and the ability to operate in fast paced work place.
loved the coustomers and the job as a hole
Manager (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 20, 2015
Customer service and data entry. I learned to deal with all walks of life and to adapt to any situation. Management was great to work for and the co workers all ways got along. The hardest part of the job was mean people at times. I loved working with the public.
Pros
free food and snacks
Cons
no breaks and no insurance
fast paced.
HR Specialist/Payroll/Front-end Manager (Former Employee) –  Robbinsdale, MNDecember 31, 2015
Company is out of business. Depending on who your manager is or was, your store can be awesome to work at. CSR's are loaded down with a lot of responsibility, that should be done by the Head Cashier.
Pros
Overall was a good company
Cons
Union did not back there employees
Bagger/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAMarch 4, 2016
The management somewhat good. My co-workers easy to get along with as a team. The most enjoyable part of the job help customers with there grocery.
Life as a cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJuly 8, 2015
On a day to day basis I counted my register to make sure I can start my day. After I count my register I check my work station to make sure my work environment clean and safe to work in.
Pros
learning new experiences
Cons
Only could work until 10pm Beacause of being a student
Fun, respectable work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Robbinsdale, MinnesotaJune 24, 2015
I managed Cashiers, handled money. Dealt with the customers that needed refunds or that were not happy with their visit to our store.
I love working with people.
Pros
Working with people, My co workers were great
Alright
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNMarch 6, 2015
Most days I would go in and do the same monotonous work over and over again. It was difficult to keep up with all the deals and promotions that changed almost every week without being informed. The coworkers were not very friendly nor were they helpful. Memorizing codes was a huge portion of this job so my memory has benefited from it greatly. While the hardest portion was standing in one spot for hours on end.
Pros
union with benifits
Cons
non-informative
Productive and a ton of things to do.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNDecember 30, 2014
I worked as a cashier and then moved to bakery because I had to the opportunity too. I worked in frozen and grocery a few times as well. I learned a lot about bakery things and how receiving works. Management was very nice and very welcoming. Very nice co-workers. No drama. The hardest part about the job was making sure every step was done at a certain time. I mostly enjoyed working with my bakery manager because we could have fun and work in seriousness as well.
Pros
paid lunches, fun co-workers, understanding management
Cons
no enough pay
Good work enviroment
Produce Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GADecember 10, 2014
This was a good job at far as how everyone works together. I learned how to be kind to people and not take things personal. Managers are alright depending on who you are some are better than others. The best part of the job they have Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. They also give out employees who have been there for at least a year Christmas bonuses.
Pros
not a lot labor
Cons
the head manager is sometimes disrespectful
I loved working for Rainbow foods
Cake decorator/ Bakery Manager (Former Employee) –  Richfield, MNFebruary 23, 2016
My days at work were busy and I loved that. I played many roles and knew all the aspects of everything in that bakery and that meant in one day at work I could bake,package product, decorate cakes, and put orders in. It was a very stressful job,but I seem to work pretty good under pressure.
When I first came to Rainbow Foods all I knew how to do was decorate cakes ( I had about 12 years of experience at that time) I learned so much after that. I learned how to bake, manage people, do all the ordering, All the little details, such as cleaning, checking temps on all coolers/freezers. the importance of good sanitation standards.
I learned a lot from the managers. I liked them all, even the real strict ones because I learned the most from them and they had high expectations, which in turn made me have the same mind set. They taught me how to manage people. I also had good co-workers and miss them!
The hardest part of my job was the worry if i would be able to get everything done for the day. I did most days, and if not i knew how to arrange things so the most important things got done , and put off what couldn't get done until the next day. It always worked out in the end.
The holidays were the best part of my job, because I love the busy hustle,bustle, and loved helping the customers and wishing them a happy holiday (whatever holiday it was). I loved having the spirit of the holiday in the department and to have that cheer carry on to the customers.
Pros
Paid vacations, paid medical insurance, bonuses at the end of year whenever our store met all the standards. Paid holidays.
Cons
Short Breaks.
productive,
Produce Associate (Current Employee) –  Roseville, MNJune 2, 2015
typical day of work is stocking operation of fork lift, and some maintance, also very good dealing with customers, co workers are pleasant to work with
Pros
health care, and vacations
Great Job, good communication with everyone, solid work environment
Warehouse/Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNOctober 22, 2014
Our typical work days at Rainbow were always busy and fast paced. The shift usually went by very quickly. I learned a lot about working as a team and getting the job done. Management worked very close with the team and treated us with respect. My co-workers and I worked as a team and always backed each other up. The most enjoyable part of the job was at the end of the day where we could actually see the fantastic job we had just done for our company.
Pros
fast pasted and team work
Cons
heathcare coverage
Good transitional job
Inventory Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNMarch 22, 2015
Learned customer service and to be a cashier, Performed dairy inventory and restocked the shelves. worked weekends and evenings to fill in while I was in high school and college.
Pros
good transitional job
Cons
worked most holidays
Fast paced enviorment at times, but rewarding.
CSR/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cottage Grove, MNJuly 25, 2014
Customer service was the largest part of my job, and enjoyed the interaction with our customers.
As a CSR, my responsibilities were to see that the front end ran smoothly i.e.: making sure customers were taken care of; floor calls were answered; telephone calls taken; breaks were given to cashiers; tills were reconciled and so much more.
Pros
the wonderful customers andthe comraderie with employees.
Cons
none to mention.
An okay place to work, but not great if looking for full time
Grocery/Night Stock (Current Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNJuly 16, 2014
Typically depending on what day/night it was you were either stocking the shelves and facing the store to look nice for the customers in the morning, or you were simply facing the store and then working any overstock from the back to shelves.

Occasionally you would have to do other things such as pushing carts off the lot that were left over from the day, or work on another department's stuff if they were behind, but otherwise, it was pretty straight forward.

We had our fair share of bad workers and bad managers, but what business doesn't have those?

Sadly, the business is closing in a week.
Pros
decent length breaks, okay pay, not too difficult job
Cons
bad management, no advancement, and pay freezes
Good Benefits and flexible
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cottage Grove, MNMarch 30, 2015
Flexible and good benefits great people to work with. Get paid vacation and holidays. worst part of job working grave yard shifts
Pros
Paid vacation and holidays
Cons
Bad uniforms for job being done
happy, and eventful workplace
Cashier/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Robbinsdale, MNDecember 21, 2013
a typical day at work was me being at the register ringing up customers, in a fast and friendly manner, and providing all of there shopping needs. i learned how to manage my time wisely, and how to provide the needs of customers in a timely manner, while still being productive on the register. management was quite fair, friendly, and consistent with taking care of the needs of the staff and customers. the hardest part of the job was shop back because we had to locate all of the items that customers left at our registers. the most enjoyable part was the fact that i was able to talk to my customers about different recipe ideas!
Pros
my consistent work hours
Cons
doing shop back and working the freezer
Overall a good place to work
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Blaine, MNMay 28, 2013
I would say that it is a great place to work for a first job. You get benefits which most young people aren't looking for when they are going for their first job. It isn't easy to get a job that matches its wages or potential wages despite being on the bottom rung of the ladder in the store. It is a positive and a negative aspect of this business. You only get a pay raise for jumping to full time regardless of your position. You can be a cashier, stocker, manager, or deli clerk and receive the same wage scale regardless of the varying levels of responsibility. If you can get into their full time positions, it is an excellent place to make a life long career.