Radio Sales Executives prime objective is to achieve agreed revenue targets on a regular basis.
To do this they have to undertake a range of different activities: establish and develop long-term business relationships; source, identify and secure new business opportunities; fact find and take briefs from clients and prospects; generate creative solutions for clients, and present campaign proposals; make the sale; and deliver accurate reports and forecasts of revenue.
Sales Executives are expected to work closely with colleagues involved in marketing, sponsorship, promotions, events, publicity and programming. They should ensure that station output and other activities support revenue generation, and that clients receive a high quality and consistent service at all times.
Although some of their work is office-based, they must also spend time out of the office meeting with key clients and prospects, gathering information, making presentations, and when necessary, attending relevant events to network with clients or pursue prospects. The job may involve long hours, juggling many clients and prospects, knowing how to priorities and meeting exacting targets and deadlines.
Sales Executives must also expect an element of routine administrative work: maintaining records, producing reports and forecasts and assisting with the resolution of problems about payments and revenue collection. They are also expected to ensure that their work complies with media law, regulation and industry codes.
Essential Knowledge & Skills
Radio Sales Executives need the following:
- ability and desire to sell
- ability to think creatively and generate original ideas
- excellent writing and presentation skills
- knowledge of the Radio market, different station and programmed styles, and audience demographics
- familiarity with the increasing range of communications platforms, and how they can be used in advertising and marketing campaigns
- the confidence and tenacity to pursue leads, overcome obstacles, and secure deals
- resilience and the ability to handle rejection
- business acumen, and the ability to make accurate forecasts of revenue
- attention to detail
- ability to work independently but also as part of a team
- self-motivation and adaptability
- ability to work effectively under pressure, react quickly, and meet tight deadlines
- determination, diplomacy, and excellent interpersonal skills
- a thorough knowledge of the law, ethics and industry regulations as they affect radio sales
- knowledge of when it is necessary, and how to acquire the relevant clearances and licenses, including copyright and music clearances
- knowledge of the requirements of the relevant Health and Safety legislation and procedures
- a high level of IT skills - particularly good word-processing and data handling skills