RAC Employee Reviews

Recovery Driver (Current Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands13 January 2017
Being a recovery driver for RAC is not easy but the job done satisfaction and a satisfied customer makes my day. A normal shift starts at 08:00 , I sign in into the computer and then I start recieving jobs. Sometimes customers can wait couple of hours until we show up but the average waiting time AFTER the patrol asked for recovery is 1h which is not bad for London. I had customers with puncture or clutch with waiting time after the call 20 mins and customers who had to wait 4 hours after the call. This is not up to us. We ring the customers straight after we recieve the job on the computer , give them an ETA and then drive to the breakdown for recovery. We interact with Ferrari owners to Micra owners , makes no difference to me as long as the customer is safe and happy not to be on the hard shoulder anymore.Colleagues are friendly and ready to help , support from the desk is brilliant , managers are always helpful.Plenty of overtime available only I want so , nobody pushes from behind to do overtime. We work on weekends and bank holidays but this is told at job interview. The yearly roster is perfect , helps me to plan in advance weekend brakes. Sometimes we get 4 or 5 days off in a row which is very good.Overall I am happy to be a part of this company which gives you job stability , respect , a decent salary and experience on customer service.
Pros
Good salary, paid holiday, sick pay
Cons
Sometimes long hours and long driving times
Fun work place with sports activities and arts and crafts.
After School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Corcoran, CA13 December 2016
The most enjoyable part about the RAC was working with all such great individuals,
The hardest part of the job was having to leave it.
My co workers were the best at their job and with getting along with each other.
A typical day at work I would say was fun, stress free, and full of smiles.
RAC Call Centre
Sales and Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Perth WA15 December 2016
High pressure call centre, inbound and outbound. Remuneration appropriate, however high stress levels -having to constantly put up with abuse from angry customers and trying to explain complex concepts to customers unwilling to listen.
Pros
Cons
See review
Unreliable work hours,
Delivery Driver (part-time) (Former Employee) –  New Jersey1 August 2016
Hours vary greatly. Some days I get there at 2pm and leave at 6pm, some days I get in at 10am and get out at 8pm.

Pay for work is horrible; $11/hr for being a delivery driver and the moving man. Sometimes they send you alone to do a 2 man job (i.e. large living room sets that include couches that seat 3 people) and then have the nerve to ask why there was damage.

Sometimes there are too many deliveries to take a lunch break but they still take 30 minutes off your paycheck as if you did infact take a lunch break.

Customers can range from very nice to very rude.

Job is only good to build experience and then upgrade to a better job.
If you plan on being on delivery wear a back-brace as they do not cover you for any injury you get from working.

Depending on the store and manager, they'll try to get you to ship used items to customers who ordered it new. 80% of the times they won't accept it and you'll need to go back and swap it back for a new one.
Pros
You get to drive around town, around the county. Job experience for your resume.
Cons
If you get hurt you're on your own, manager tries anyway to pin any damage on you
only temp contracts offered
Customer solutions specialist - recovery (Former Employee) –  Walsall7 July 2016
very difficult atmosphere to work in, and only temp contracts offered
always having to work bank holidays including christmas day and no time in lieu
Pros
free hot drinks
Cons
long hours weekend and bank holiday shifts
Like a family
Sales Administrator (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol9 January 2017
The people I work with are very friendly and helpful. We are really all like a family and if we need assistance there is always someone that can help.
Corporate Good/Field Not Worth It
Ops. Support Audit Supervisor/Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX5 September 2012
I've worked at the Corporate office in Dallas, TX as well as the field and there are VAST differences. One can expect a typical work day in a normal and stable retail company. Good hours, good benefits and salary, great location, holiday pay and 2 week vacation time after a couple years. The field is a completely different 'monster'. It's a lot like 'every man for himself'. Team effort is scarce and if you are in a management position you will have to work at least 50 hours a week including weekends.
Pros
corporate office = great experience, great management training, good location, fundraisers annually
Cons
no 'casual fridays' (corp office), poor balance for work/home, very poor conditions for field employees, management in field is unprofessional
Ok place to work.
support executive. (Current Employee) –  Bristol11 September 2016
Working from the RAC has been enjoyable, I've learnt to confidently speak to members of the public about European travel as well as working for the billings and collection department, helping with the day to day running of the department, refunds, credit control and other things.

Working as part of a team is essential for the RAC
Exposure to public and difficult work due to external influences
Direct Sales RAC (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG13 January 2015
A good job in all terms, albeit the actual sales that can be achieved remain low volume for all sales personnel; due to the fact that the service I am trying to provide is already extended to most of the public by bank and retail services, as vehicles are purchased.
Day would be spent at an appointed venue, with full interface with public.
The learning curve is one of self discipline and self management.
I am presently working on my own.
The hardest part of the job is overcoming the negativity of the public in respect of the statement above.
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting people and selling to those that are genuinely interested.
Pros
Working my own hours
Cons
Self employed contract, with no base salary
Very poor management and NO SOCIAL LIFE
Customer solution specialist (Former Employee) –  Walsall9 May 2016
I started working for the RAC mid 2015, I started working via a agency called interaction on a 3 month contract. I was then taken on by the RAC on a 6 Month Contract. Working there was a complete shambles, some of the managers have no clue in what they are paid to do. your co-workers will always back bite about you to others and the managers have there favorite few who get away with everything. You will always be pushed too hard. The System they use is way out of date and always twitches when pushed too hard. also they treat the temps as if they are nothing. I Would avoid
Pros
good pay
Cons
No Social Life
Enjoyed the people I worked with but the company was grossly mismanaged.
Ground Security Coordinator (GSC) (Former Employee) –  Walt Disney World, Orlando, FL10 December 2013
This company does not offer any benefits/healthcare, pay raises and there is little room for advancement. There is a very large disconnect between the field and corporate office, with very little to no understanding of the nature of how the RAC stations and crews actually work on the part of corporate. Worker records, paperwork often went missing and there was problems with payroll and frequent miscommunication on security related issues.

That being said I enjoyed meeting/greeting the WDW Guests from all over the world and the work itself was very interesting and exciting. I loved helping people, providing information and as well as solutions to whatever problem might have arisen. My coworkers were wonderful people who I could count on and I very rarely had problems with them.

I would only recommend this company as a part-time or second job.
Pros
As a Participating Operator, I was a WDW Cast Member and receive limited perks through WDW
Cons
No healthcare, no raises, no benefits of any kind, no room for advancement
Enjoyable
Claims Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester27 July 2016
Management were very friendly and the job was easy and enjoyable. It was the perfect weekend job to build up experience.
Productive workplace
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD24 May 2016
Provide customer service by greeting and assisting customers, and responding to customer inquiries and complaints. Direct and supervise employees engaged in sales, inventory-taking, reconciling cash receipts, or in
productive and good workplace
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  bradley stoke15 April 2016
easy going job role, that helped me develop my communication skills. i was valued amog peers. the only thing that was majorly wrong working there is the fact that it was a communication centre, but there was a seriously lack of communication between agents and managers. could be improved
Pros
close to home
Cons
long days
Descent work environment
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Owensboro, KY19 May 2014
I like the job but the hours interfere with family life. Great advancement opportunities. I was promoted in a short time. Great benefits and compensation.
Productive, made deliveries, make collections calls
Sales/ Collection (Former Employee) –  New London, CT3 May 2016
A day at work was normal, make collection calls, deliver merchandise, and assist with any other function requested by the manager.
Membership Consultant
Service Adviser/Membership Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bristol9 March 2016
Receiving incoming calls from members advising when the next engineer will come out to them, also selling them the upgrade package at the same time.
Nice Company
Front End Developer (Former Employee) –  Lahore, PPB16 January 2016
I learns new technology which use in the web and I enjoy the work with team here is the no hard work management was the very good.
Stressful and Unsociable
Customer Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Walsall, ENG18 February 2015
This job was fairly stressful as I had to interact with customers who were distressed and restless. It was a fast paced job which meant every shift was tiring and relentless. I enjoyed this at first, however the lack of support from the hierarchy made me and many other employees as a bit worthless. Every one who has recently been recruited including myself are on rolling contracts which offers no financial or job security. I am not a massive fan of shift work either, and being a 24 hour a day this was a bit of an issue as I would work both late nights and weekends quite frequently. I am however used to shift work and wasn't a main issue.
Pros
High income
Cons
Working many weekends and late shifts
More negatives than positives
Self employed Agent (Former Employee) –  Bristol, ENG30 January 2015
A typical day, is standing outside a supermarket, shopping centre, or motorway services in all winds and weathers.
Not an easy job, and not for the faint hearted.
Hard to get anything from management, especially information, IT backup, and sorting of problems. They were only interested in how many members you achieved, absolutely nothing else!
Colleagues and most of the other agents were brilliant.
This is a numbers game, always under pressure to produce the figures. If there were no venues available you were expected to find your own with no help.
Most enjoyable part of the job was talking to the customers and hearing great stories of exceptional service from the patrols.
Pros
Great fealing when you signed up a new member.
Cons
Lots of travelling at your expense, no income without sales, told it was your business but then dictated to how you ran it.