QUINN CONTRACTING LTD. Employee Reviews

Good people work was smooth jobs done on time.
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABJuly 21, 2016
Drive to work in company van an hour drive get there at 7am safety meeting starts at 7:30 until 8. always work with same partner get informed of the job task we are being assigned to that day. fill out daily paper work (pre task assessment) get supplies for task drive to location get permitted from field operator. start job when done return to lead hand for new task. Great job always learning something new, good thing about working for Quinn always had work to do. Hardest part was the travel to and from work each day
Pros
Great people, steady work, fair pay.
Cons
travel to and from work each day. No other cons
It was good experience and fun workplace
Sacaffolder & Hand painter (Current Employee) –  Toront or any were in CanadaAugust 15, 2016
It was very good experience day for me,

I learned a lot for experience on the platform out to drop tools and pipe many things.

The management are employee-friendly,

My co-workers are friendly and follow safety procedure at work site

It is when transfering pipe from one place to another

When you work for a company and go back home with injury free it makes family happy and receive your salary month end and enjoy with your family
Pros
prompt payment
Cons
delayed payment
good place to work for
supervisor (Former Employee) –  BlackfaldsSeptember 1, 2015
Quinn is a stable employer with benefits and good payment schedules and a good promotions program I had a good foreman as well as a good stable position
Pros
free lunches
Just a job
Swamper (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABSeptember 30, 2015
It was a decent job, lots of hard work wrenching on piping and rusty old valves. Learned a lot about safety culture and it was ingrained in me since day one. Typical day involved a toolbox meeting then the handing out of permits and job sheets, which were then reviewed and signed before we went to work. Work mostly consisted of repacking pump jack stuffing boxes and changing sheaves on the motors. Sometimes we also had to replace different parts of piping or small vent pumps in the buildings. I learned comprehensive lockout procedures and how to confirm and maintain a zero energy state in equipment I worked on. The best part of the job for me was the feeling of accomplishment I got when My partner and myself did a good job, quickly and safely.
Very Good.
Bolt-Up Technician (Former Employee) –  Prentiss, ABAugust 21, 2016
A typical day of work involved a 12 hour shift. The day is ever changing and can include many fast paced work items to complete.
Excellant safety minded workplace and people
Tool Crib Attendant (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, ABApril 8, 2016
As a tool crib attendant,I worked side by side with the oilfield workers supplying them with all tools and items they needed to get their job done. I have learned a lot about safety in the workplace, problem solving, and doing every thing in my power to make our customers happy.
Awesome Job
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 19, 2016
Days were busy. Learning new systems. Management and co-workers were excellent. A very enjoyable job and company to work for!
Pros
Excellent benefits and no micro-management.
Cons
None.
Warm inviting staff and great enviornment for learning
Corporate Fleet Administrator (Current Employee) –  Blackfalds, ABJune 16, 2015
Working with Quinn has been one of the best experiences in my life. Between the education and support I receive I highly recommend working with Quinn to achieve your career goals.
Pros
Great Benefits and Educational programs
Cons
Communication can lack at times
Great coworkers
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Fort Mackay, ABOctober 27, 2015
Good people to work with. Do your job properly and safely, and noone hassles you. Not sure why I have to keep typing here, I really don't have anything bad to say about here.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Management took care of them selfs didn't care about employees
Foreman; Lead for Maintenance (Former Employee) –  CNRL primrose north BonnyvilleSeptember 24, 2015
Poor
management they looked after them self always the first to point fingers to someone else if something went wrong
the employees where good just tried to keep up the mar ell
wages not good i only lasted 3 months poor management
Pros
people that i work with
Cons
management
Poor recruitment practices
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJune 3, 2016
Overall Quinn is a good company to work for if you have work. The problem with the company is a disconnect between the field and the hiring department. Human resources are completely out of touch with the demands of supervision (forman, leads, supervisors). For example, each time you work for Quinn and are laid off supervision will write a report on the worker. Often times a worker who has received a poor report and recommendation not to hire the recruitment department hires them again. Vice versa if a worker receives glowing reviews the hiring department doesn't recognize the review and you can be hard pressed to receive a job. In my case I was told and thanked by supervision for he quality of my work (this is a great culture, you actually do get recognized for good work). They expressed I'd be one of the first they'd call on the next project. However, these reviews are not looked at or taken into consideration when hiring applicants. They're new online recruitment process is also a failure. You can apply often but not hear anything until you actually call in or have supervision call in for you, than you may get a call.

This may seem like a review from an apathetic worker out of work, but it isn't. I am currently working but just disappointed the struggles of getting hired from Quinn shouldn't be there when there is work available and supervision approves. The recruiting department acts as though they don't know you and are out of touch with the work force.

I also notice Quinn will hire easterners and pay living allowance while ignoring locals. Often non ticketed Cape
  more... Bretoners will get jobs over locals and will remain on the job from beginning to end while quality local workers are laid off. This is partly how they lost the Dow Chemicals contract as I know for a fact Dow was unimpressed that Quinn brought back the same people that did poorly on a previous shut down.

All in all, if you have work it's good but that is more of a reflection of Nova Chemicals than Quinn. Quinn's hiring practices are terrible and need an overhaul. They need to keep their best guys working and they don't. They hire too many incompetent workers during shut downs who take advantage of the slow pace and slow it down even further. These same people come back every summer than collect living allowance in the winter. Quinn is notorious for this and have a reputation for this practice. They need to shed this reputation if they want to advance in the industry as currently they are struggling to earn new contracts.
Pros
Red Deer area clients are good to work for
Cons
Quinn hiring practices are the worst in the business.
Career with Quinn Contracting as a Pipefitter / steamfitter, & planner
Planner/ Field Planner/Lead T/A Planner (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABNovember 29, 2014
Quinn Contracting, provided me with long lasting employment that I benefited from greatly. However, it was tough to be able to get any kind of professional development to better myself in a way that I could benefit the company.. trying to advance to a different position was difficult within this company unless you moved away...
the experience that I gained while working at the plant that I did had proven to be invaluable & had provided me with stable employment so that I could provide for my family.
Pros
salary was great, people & work enviroment were really good.
Cons
no professional developement to keep up with industry, no chance to move to a different position within the current plant
Experienced work force, excellent safety culture, good comaraderie
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cenovus-Foster Creek, Cold Lake Air Weapons RangeApril 23, 2015
Safety input at morning toolbox meeting, work direction given to crews, check email correspondence - safety alerts etc., onsite safety inspection of crews, risk assessments, monitor and give assistance to safety watch, update safety stats, report and investigate any incidents.
Safety is a continual learning experience. Each situation is a building block for the safety integrity of the company.
There is an excellent camaraderie in the work place with a good balance of journeymen, experienced mentors, and some newer inexperienced workers.
The hardest part of the job is to keep up with all the reports and administration while trying to maintain a 70% presence in the field.
Being in the field, interacting with,and monitoring the safety of, the work crews, is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
good benefits and company provided leadership training courses
Cons
Too much administration and no safety administrator to assist
safety watch/labourer
safety watch (Former Employee) –  Joffre, ABJanuary 11, 2016
good plce to work positive atmosphere ilearn a lot about safety on construction site very friendly environment going back home each night safe
Life working for Quinn Contracting.
Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Blackfalds, ABSeptember 2, 2015
Really focused on safety.
Coworkers are great to work with.
Benefits are good.

A typical day's duties vary on the service desk.
i was very happy working for quinn just wished that i could have stayed longer.
Millwright Commissioning/Start-Up (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, ABNovember 20, 2015
very professional company great interaction with the on-site supervision plus being paid ontime with no concerns a big plus.
met some of the hardest fun working people through them
Pipe fitter, Equipment Operator, Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  AlbertaOctober 21, 2015
you are ether on a good hard working fun crew or you end up on a under the desk ball sucking lazy crew but all in all they keep a guy busy
Pros
constant work
Cons
drop in wages, cut rrsp, no perks like they used too
great place to work !
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Red Deer County, ABSeptember 23, 2015
Completed a contract directly with Quinn head office in AB. excellent company. organized and efficient. Excellent human resources people. Only downfall was it was a short term contract. Great company to work for.
Pros
Coffee / tea at work / own office too
Cons
Contract work
Half decent place.
B Pressure & CWB Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AlbertaMay 28, 2015
The most enjoyable part of this job was the amazing coworkers I had the pleasure to work with. The management could have been better for this particular company however.
Great people to work with and gained lots of experiance
Maintenance/ Reliability (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mtn. House, AlbertaMarch 19, 2015
Working in Maintenance , Operations , and operating mobile equipment there was a good variety to keep everything interesting and very busy. Long hours and lots of new people quitting and starting constantly.
Pros
lots of overtime and experience acquired
Cons
plant was a long distance from town.