Are you fast, friendly and efficient? If so, you may have a future as a grocery market clerk/cashier.. You'll run a cash register, stock groceries and provide prompt and friendly customer service.
Summary of Organization: Quest Food Exchange is British Columbia’s largest not-for-profit food exchange program. We offer access to affordable and healthy food choices for those facing barriers to this basic necessity. In partnering with food suppliers, social service agencies, and community stakeholders, we have fine-tuned our social enterprise model to become a hub of food redistribution in the Lower Mainland. Our programs are seen as essential to marginalized individuals as they transition themselves towards self-sufficiency. We operate four grocery markets.
Summary of the Position: Grocery clerks are responsible to make sure the grocery section of the store is well-stocked for our customers. They assist in receiving, storing, and stocking of products while ensuring proper product rotation and quality. They create and build product displays, ensure proper fronting of products, and handle product damages and credits according to company policy. Grocery clerks must be familiar with store products and their locations in order to assist customers in locating items. In addition, grocery clerks must be able to perform all duties of a cashier.
- High school education preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be able to frequently lift 40 pounds
- Must have good math skills
Job Skills and Requirements:
You'll get training on the job to help you work the cash register and how to bag items correctly and remember all those fruit and vegetable codes. But there are a few essential job requirements:
- Customer Service skills: You will be helping busy and hurried customers with their orders in addition to managing other customer service issues. You need to enjoy being around people all day long
- Good Numeracy skills: You must be good with numbers and comfortable handling cash
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds: You have to have a few muscles on you for this job. You may be required to restock shelves or assist customers with heavy items, so you'll need to be able to lift boxes onto shelves or carts
- Patience: You're going to be dealing with some stressed-out people who won't be in the best of moods. Be patient and try to keep smiling... however hard that might be
- Expected hours: Some week days and Saturdays