Quest Diagnostics

Quest Diagnostics Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,885 reviews
They don't really care much about their employess
Route Service Rep II (Current Employee) –  MOJanuary 27, 2016
In logistics with Quest the job is pretty easy and it pays better than average. There's a big downside though. They don't really care about their employees. They have people in place who's whole job is to find ways to cut peoples hours to increase profitability. Management is a mess as well. Not only do they not care if you work there or not, but everything feels like they are "winging it" instead of having an articulated plan in place. Their policies are put in place very reactionary. Their raises are pathetic also. You at least get one but don't expect any more than $.10 to $.20 an hour annually. Supposedly it's a better working environment if your higher up on the career chain but if not, they don't really care about you.
Pros
largely unsupervised work
Cons
Management, recognition, compensation
Overworked & underpaid
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KS 66219March 28, 2016
Typical corporation - work with as few resources as possible and keep adding responsibilities without an increase in pay. You can ask the same question to 5 different people and you will receive 5 different answers; everyone seems to just "wing" it. The account managers are merely glorified customer service reps. They are entirely responsible for anything and everything to do with the account from the time the account is setup to billing & payment issues. The company does not entrust other departments (other than client services) to communicate with the clients. This leaves the account manager to deal with account setup, supply, collection site, and all billing issues including contacting your book of business every 2 - 3 months for anything that happens at the company. No time to be an account manager because you're being reactive and putting out fires daily instead of getting the opportunity to be proactive. The company tries to offer fun, bonding, and learning activities, but everyone is so overworked and busy that they are unable to enjoy or join in.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Work long hours, very minimal raises, no accountability with other departments, lack of leadership
SP - Greensboro - MUCH IMPROVEMENT NEEDED
Specimen Processing (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCNovember 15, 2015
Night shift supervisory leaves MUCH to be desired. Lead supervisor on third shift is nearly completely incompetent and spends the bulk of the evening ensuring that he never has to actually do any work. Very indecisive management. Never enough employees (because they're constantly firing everyone) and next to zero growth opportunities. Repetitive and boring workload (but what isn't these days, anyway?)
The plus side: decent matching on 401(k) (after 12 months), tuition reimbursement, opportunities for relocation, corporate discounts (auto/home insurance, phone service and more), employee stock purchase plan, etc. etc. Health benefits kinda suck, dental is AWESOME (really!), vision is okay.
Pros
Overall package
Cons
Mandatory overtime, bad management, horrible work/life balance, extremely high turnover, filthy (and I mean filthy) laboratory setting.
Handled adminstrative duties for the Sales Manager and (20) Sales Reps
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasOctober 4, 2015
A typical day was organizing any sales meetings, making sure all reps Blackberry's was functioning, sending any correspondence requested by the Manager, scheduled flights, hotels rooms, meeting rooms, video equipment, menus for regional meetings. At Quest Diagnostics, I started in the billing department, interviewed for the position of Administrative Assistant for the General Manager, HR Manager, Compliance Manager, and Sales Manager. I received that promotion and as the company grew and more Admins was added to the workforce, I made the choice to remain with the Sales Manager and HR Manager. Due to more organizational changes, I remained with the sales force until retirement.
Pros
A very supportive management staff, and the benefits were excellent.
Cons
The usual company politics
not enough staff
CA-Limited License Technologist II (Current Employee) –  San Juan Capistrano, CAMarch 10, 2016
Quest Diagnostics is one leaders in the clinical laboratory field. However, the benefits are not great, there are not enough employees to cover the workload, and because of this management tolerates poor work performance.
Pros
job security
Cons
terrible work hours, not enough training, crowded work spaces, and not enough parking
no advancement horrible pay
Senior Billing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 21, 2015
this company has horrible pay raises and salary. micro management and very nosey co-workers always worried about what your doing not focused on their own work and self. management plays favorites and will act like it's no big deal. The company does not pride it's employees enough to pay for supplies and give any types of lunches or holiday party's they expect supervisors to pay out of their pocket to help have decent parties and feel appreciated.
Facing great financial and management challenges
Biomedical Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VAFebruary 7, 2016
Although the business model for this company is sound, the operations and management have faced significant challenges over the past 10 years that have left the company struggling to keep up with the competition. The place operates like a factory, with three shifts. Weekend work is a must here. Pay is very low for the amount of effort and technical expertise expected of the employees. There is little to no advanced training to assist employees in any meaningful career path. The management has been in place for at least 30 years, and they seem to lack the leadership to move the company forward. Staff has been dramatically reduced by attrition with some departments functioning merely by the grace of God (some departments have lost over 50% of the workers, they left on their own). Health care coverage is the most dreadful that I have ever seen. If all of this doesn't tell you to stay away, then ask yourself what you missed.
Pros
It's just a job
Cons
It's just a job
great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Clemente, CAMarch 10, 2016
I would tell people to work for them. they are very understanding when it comes to real life situations, they are good at training people and really give good word where it is needed for people doing well.Also there is always room for advancement.
Pros
security, open door policey to talk to management and very understanding
Cons
sometimes not pushing certain people to do their jobs, pushy sometimes
Great place to work if it remains stable.
Client Systems Implementation Technician (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PADecember 17, 2015
This was the best job I've ever had. That doesn't negate the negative traits of the organization. The company is large and offers areas of advancement, but there are many hidden limitations, due to the ever-changing management structure. This lends to an atmosphere of fear. Management changes are frequent and multiple reorgs throughout the year have cost many their jobs, (including mine). Many cost cutting efforts have led to a higher employee turnover rate. I don't know the official number, but many are national reorgs over many job areas.
Pros
Education assistance. Good pay for many positions.
Cons
Sales force and contract dependent, Employees work under duress of looming layoffs, CEO has other obligations
Not for everyone
Clinical Laboratory Scientist (Former Employee) –  San Juan Capistrano, CAJanuary 3, 2016
Work/Life balance acceptable. Compensation on the low end of competitive. Benefits were great. Advancement is limited. Management and Job Culture go hand in hand.
Learned alot during employment there
Courier/Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VASeptember 30, 2015
As per resume, logistics courier/dispatcher. Have taken on new tasks. I believe I have a great rapport with not only management, supervisors, coworkers, but also other employees in other departments throughout the lab. I would say that the hardest part of the job is not having coverage at dispatch desk to just get a few minutes away for a breather, as the phones are extremely busy.
Pros
Goalsharing bonus
Cons
Lack of management communication as to how it affects your undertaking of tasks, supplies, responsibilities that one should really not be handling, but needs to be done. No raise or change of title for taking on much more than expected of others.
Great Benefits, Lousy Upper Management
Connectivity Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 2, 2016
25+ yrs with company. Position Eliminated & subsequently outsourced overseas.

Most direct Managers were excellent. Upper Management was terrible! They had no first-hand knowledge of our customer's needs! They pushed Quantity over Quality.

Benefits were excellent, aside from some major changes with plan coverage over the past 2 years.

Was proud to work for the company....until they callously cut 70% of our IT workforce, without regard to our Customer's needs!
Perfect
Rep, PS 2 (Phleb) (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COMarch 26, 2016
I can honestly say that it has been such an amazing job to work at. Management is great and very understanding. The only thing I can say is whatever pay you start with you must be happy because there are no big increase amount from there. You should negotiate to what you will be satisfied with. You get great benefits like student tuition reimbursement.
Pros
Great work environment and staff
Cons
Pay stays about the same over the years
Professional work place, chance to move up, good oportunities
Rep Phlebotomy Services II (Current Employee) –  Oviedo, FLNovember 4, 2015
High volume of patients ( new born, children, youth, adults and aged)
I learned the whole processing of specimens, health insurances process, costumer service, patients care, collect information for wellness program, life insurance, drug screen process for DOT and NON DOT.
Good management, helpful supervisors and human resources departments.
Variety of cultures co workers, so I learned a lot of a many different types of people and ways to work.
I enjoy all about my job with this company and in general I like my job, it makes me fell like I can help people in certain manner and every day I can learn. Personally I grow and professionally you can develop in the health area, policies etc.
Pros
All Bennefits
it's a good company
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Marlborough, MAJanuary 11, 2016
flexible hours,nice coworkers. Senior management team has visions. Benefits are good. Nice building to work. you can build career in the company if you are willing to relocate.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no lab in bay area California.
I'd rather work at McDonald's than Quest!
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 29, 2016
Quest is by far the worst company I have ever worked for. 90% of Supervisors are not qualified for their positions in fact I was actually more qualified for supervisor position than my own supervisor. They play favorites BIG time! Constantly making you work over time & almost always short-staffed. The pay sucks. You're constantly changing policies in the way they want things done which is fine except for when they change them and don't pass the members along to their employees and when the employees don't do with their new correct way they get wrote up or fired.
Pros
absolutely no Pros to working here
Cons
oh my where do I start? The list is endless.
No career step ladder
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Wading River, NYOctober 3, 2015
Quest is like a factory, the culture is not centered around their patients and/or employees as their Total Quality Management suggests. There exists no career ladder and the pay for their professional, college educate staff is laughable. They are a billion dollar enterprise yet the re-invest in their employees and establishments very little. So glad to have moved on to bigger and better things.
Pros
They are always hiring
Cons
Poor employee and patient support
Sweat Shop - with hardly any chances of progress
Laboratoy technichian (Current Employee) –  Miramar, FLNovember 10, 2015
Walk in and sit at a computer for 11 hrs. Regular routine everyday.

Management is rotated so often that it's hard for anyone to get any promotions since basically no supervisor gets to know anyone personally.

Co-workers are difficult people to work with.

Promotions and any advancements are very difficult.

Short and early breaks.
Pros
free health labs (as long as you pay for healthcare through company)
Cons
Short and early breaks, healthcare is expensive
Ever-changing workplace that doesn't give you a chance to catch your break.
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 4, 2016
Everyday is filled with a new rule or changing a way we perform a certain job function. I have learned a lot about the way a company transitions to a corporation. I did improve my typing skills, knowledge of Microsoft Office and communication skills.

Management was not equipped to handle the job put before them. They took over the company and made it a corporation and they were very uncertain about the task at hand and the role that us in Client Services played.

My coworkers are all friendly yet unable to maintain focus on the task at hand. The hardest part of the job was being yelled at consistently by patients and clients but I always pushed through and am able to successfully handle the calls. The most enjoyable part of my is the satisfaction I get from know I was able to deliver results and reports in a timely and professional manner.
goal oriented company with employee focus
Florida Sales Triage (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 7, 2015
I've worked for Quest Diagnostics for 16 1/2 years and would continue to work for them but am trying to relocate to Tulsa, OK to be closer to my family. I started as an temp and was hired on within 6 months, i then became a custmer service rep and then after 9 years transferred to the billing department to start a new challenge. The patient billing department is great place to work, no matter what team i was on , we were family. I've learned to identify denails from 3rd party carriers and educate known issues to Sales Reps inquiring for external clients. Most enjoyable part of the job was our team working as one unit. I love going to work everyday. I will miss them and honored to say I'll always have a home there
Pros
Great benefits from day 1, paid time off, advancement and growth
Cons
not in Okalahoma (seriously no cons in my 16 1/2 years)