DEPARTMENT: Faculty of Arts and Science - Continuing and Distance Studies (CDS)
TITLE: Marketing and Communications Coordinator GRADE: 7
POSITION NUMBER: 00500002
UNION: Position included in the USW 2010 Bargaining Unit:
Reporting to the Management Team, the incumbent will play a key role in marketing CDS programs and in recruitment and retention of distance students. In close collaboration with Queen’s Marketing and Communications, the incumbent will develop and implement a comprehensive marketing and communications plan that will facilitate the admission, enrolment, and retention of distance students for the Faculty of Arts and Science. The plan will include print, web, social media, digital, and communication strategies. Development and implementation of the plan will require collaboration with the Office of the University Registrar on procedures, processes, and services.
1. Marketing and Advertising
- Develop and implement marketing strategies designed to recruit new distance students to courses and programs being offered through CDS in coordination with Queen's Marketing and Communications, Office of the University Registrar, key campus stakeholders, outside suppliers and CDS staff.
- Develop and implement medium- and long-term marketing strategies; plan and project manage CDS advertising for summer and fall/winter terms. Ensure that appropriate messaging and design for the various media (websites, social media, print ads) are coordinated, prepared, and released according to schedule. Ensure all design and messaging is aligned with Queen’s visual and brand standards.
- Coordinate and implement content and design revisions to the CDS website to reflect marketing and recruitment campaigns using University content management system (CMS) tools, and aligned with Queen’s Visual Identity , Web and Brand Standards
- Liaise with Queen’s Marketing and Communications Electronic communications team to provide content and update to pages linked from the Queen’s home page.
- Develop digital and electronic communication marketing strategies and tactics for advertising campaigns and student retention initiatives.
- Coordinate e-mailing lists and distribute communication to the lists in collaboration with ITS and Marketing and Communications using existing internal and external communications platforms, listservs, and email. Collaborate with key stakeholders on campus and in the department on the advertising message by target audience: i.e: prospective students, Queen’s students, visiting students, distance students, and alumni
- Assess the effectiveness of the various advertising initiatives, report outcomes to the CDS management team and Marketing and Communications, and make recommendations for change.
2. Continuing and Distance Studies Website
- Manage and maintain the CDS website.
o Each term, ensure that the front page is updated (i.e., profiling courses, instructors, students) as identified in the advertising and marketing plan; update other course pages, including course information, sessional dates, etc.
o Update admission, registration, and fees pages to reflect the new policies and processes being implemented for each term.
o Consult and coordinate with ITS and Marketing and Communications Electronic Communications team to ensure CDS web pages reflect best practices in, accessibility, functionality, and content delivery.
o Promote and maintain the CDS website’s visibility on the internet
3. Communication with Distance Students
- Produce a monthly e-newsletter to keep in touch with distance students to develop an online community of learners.
- Assess the effectiveness of the various retention initiatives, report outcomes to the CDS management team, and make recommendations for change.
- Participate in events promoting online learning to prospective students
- Assist the Manager and Assistant Manager with special projects specific to the operational needs of the CDS.
- Three-year post-secondary program with a focus on marketing and/or communications, combined with related experience
- Experience with web-based content management, web communication, and social media
- Experience working with people as a service provider, as a team member, and as a team leader
- Appreciation of the value of continuing education, life-long learning, and making university education accessible to non-traditional students
- Previous experience working in a University environment preferred
- Consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written with creative and concise writing and editing skills.
- Creativity: the ability to generate new ideas, research them, and then follow through to completion
- Considerable experience with and passion for social media as a way to build relationships and market CDS within the Queen’s brand
- Excellent computer skills and readily able to learn new applications
- Knowledge of website development and best practices for usability, accessibility and content delivery
- Strong customer service orientation: ability to respond to student enquiries and concerns quickly, professionally and sensitively.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for effective interactions with a wide variety of individuals including senior administrative staff and faculty, returning students, and prospective students.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy, with an appreciation for the implications of errors for students and the University
- Strong judgment in addressing complex and sensitive issues in a university setting.
- Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to work as part of a team – demonstrated flexibility and willingness to adapt or do what is necessary to further communications objectives.
- Recommended: Skills with Adobe CS Suite (PhotoShop, InDesign, Illustrator, Audition), layout and design, media (audio/visual), and TweetDeck, and an understanding of search engine optimization
- Determines marketing strategies to support advertising campaigns, as well as the schedules and plans for implementation
- Identifies and determines procedures and processes necessary for effective communication with students
- Determines methods to assess effectiveness of marketing and retention strategies; collects, analyzes and evaluates feedback on the student experience, etc.; and makes recommendations for improvement
Indeed - 21 months ago
Queen's University is located in Kingston, Ontario. With 17 faculties and schools, approximately 20,000 students and 2,400 faculty members,...