Queen's University Employee Reviews

not bad if you can get in and stay
Laboratory Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON4 February 2017
Extremely pro-union and incestuous in hiring. After 9 years working contract there I applied to a job that should have been a "shoe-in", as even my boss was saying it would be a perfect fit. Only later, without even getting an interview did I find out that they already had their replacement chosen, even worked the person in the position for four months before the predecessor retired, to ensure they could handle it, and THEN they posted the job opening.
Great benefits (depending on what level and where you are exactly), good pay, fair comradery and environment. Funding is decreasing however and cutbacks and layoffs throughout 2014-2017 were running rampant. They will not hire those who are overqualified, finding any other excuse knowing that they cannot use that as the excuse.
Pros
benefits, dental and prescription drugs
Cons
hiring managers and HR policy too incestuous
Great work experience
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON17 December 2016
Queen's University is a pleasant place for working. Coworkers are nice and the benefits are good. The job culture and ethics is positive.
Collaborative and supportive environment
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON12 September 2016
As a research associate, your typical day is very flexible. I was in the field and laboratory on most days and found my labmates to be extremely collaborative and supportive. Coworkers are typically looking to build you up and help you out, but there can be a sense of competition within the workplace.
Pros
Growth, support, inspiration
Cons
Competitive
Support in everything
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON27 December 2016
Working with many people with different backgrounds,we were always in training, they encourage education on all levels.My co-workers were considerate of others and easy to get along with.The hardest part of the job was working in stairwells. The best part of the job was working for the students ,they were interesting and caring people.
Pros
Meeting people from around the world
Cons
Very physical work
Sure bet for a great grad school experience
MEng Student - Analysis of Oil Sands Industry (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON1 February 2017
I did several real-life applicable projects as part of my masters degree at Queen's U and the entire process was fun and actually educating. I often worked with a panel of industry and academic advisors on projects where my solutions were applied in the real world. The faculty and staff were very helpful and supportive. I'd definitely recommend the experience to anyone considering it.
Good place for summer work for students with another job
Queen's Residences - Casual Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON12 January 2017
The work day was often four hours long, though you could ask if there was a way to work more hours. It was in the morning. The work environment was generally good. The managers were good when I was working there and fairly organized, but sometimes too many people would get sent to to a job. The hardest part about this job can sometimes be finding something to do.
Ok place to work
Operations Manager, Industrial Relations Centre (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON12 February 2017
Depending on the department you work in, Queen's can be a great place to work. The most disappointing part of employment at Queen's is that if you are not a USW 2010 employee you are essentially viewed as an external applicant for any administrative position (as 99% of them fall under USW 2010 jurisdiction).
Amazing experience which helped me grow and develop a number of skills
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 August 2016
A typical day as a Teaching Assistant (TA) entails that I review and respond to emails that may have been sent in by my students, schedule appointments with them and follow-up accordingly. I would plan the tutorial session for the tutorials that I led and then follow through accordingly in-class, adjusting when necessary. The most difficult aspect of being a TA is fermenting class discussion, but the most enjoyable part is when the class discussion picks up and fruitful conversation ensues.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
Teaching courses while studying yourself
Being a student at Queen's university is great, but less personal than I had hoped
Student (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON16 February 2017
While I have been learning a lot at school and having a great time, the type of learning that is catered to the masses is not my favorite style. I prefer hands on, personal instruction.
Provided me with the necessary work requirements to fulfill my co-op obligation
Office/Financial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON12 May 2016
Working at Queen's was a good experience. It was an office environment with pleasant people and an overall good attitude. Prior to my time spent there during the summer of 2015, I had been working there in the summer of 2014 where my job description was mainly clerical duties. However, in 2015, I was given more accounting related responsibility upon request. There I was performing my usual duties in addition to processing cheque requisitions, maintaining office supplies inventory, and managing invoices.

There were individuals available to not only train me, but also assist me throughout the employment timeline. The main accounting software that I was using was Peoplesoft, and by the end, I was well versed in its applications. I was grateful to have been given this employment opportunity, as it was a requirement for co-op in order to obtain my degree. There was nothing hard about he job to speak of, though I did wish for more accounting responsibility versus the clerical duties where I had already gained the experience in the prior year. It was still nice of them to offer me the tasks they did, and I would consider it a good first step into my career.
research assistant/MSc candidate
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON5 January 2017
great school, great department, and great supervisor
two years of MSc studies. overall it is a very good experience
you can always find some extra funding from the school
Encouraging environment; exceptional academic staff
Research Assistant (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON27 October 2016
working with personable leaders was an exceptional experience. Considerable effort in guidance and teaching. RA jobs are likely to depend substantially on staff member you work with.
Great Experience!
Laboratory Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON2 November 2016
This job provided me with the foundation for working in a laboratory setting and provided me with a lot of hands on experience.
Fantastic environment.
Instructor for English (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON1 November 2016
Working at Queen's is rewarding both academically and socially. I was always surrounded by a fantastic group of colleagues, and the teaching experience I gained there is invaluable to my further development as a researcher and instructor.
great place great environment
PHP Full Stack Developer (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON3 November 2016
A great place to live and work. Nice friendly town, Queen's University is a top notch employer. The colleagues are friendly and helpful. My bosses and supervisors are helpful and respectful to me and my colleagues.
Great place to learn and thrive
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 June 2016
Exposure to a wide range of academic learning opportunities and inspiring people who desire to assist you in what you're passionate about. Most of my experiences take place in clinics and hospitals affiliated with the university and the experiences I have had with staff and patients have been fantastic. My experiments focus on the possible effect of atypical anti-psychotic medications on non-declarative memory performance in people with psychotic disorders. The specific focus of the work I do presents challenges in terms of increasing sample size, but overall persistence and determination are key to success.
Productive but stressfull
Residence Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Victoria Hall17 January 2016
They day would kick off with finding the location you would work at. Everyday you would usually be placed on a different floor or a different building. After finding your location and getting there, you would greet the other employees that you would be working with that day and discuss what rooms need to be done, and if anything specific that should be focused on. Between either a 4 hour shift, or 8 hour shift, you would work hard on getting rooms prepared on time. Some days rooms would get done early,and if they did then we would do a lot of detail work such as scrapping paint off desks etc. By the end of the day everyone greets each other one last time before we go to the building where we first signed in, then of course go home.
Pros
Made lots of friends, learned good cleaning skills
Cons
stressful, drama between employees
Queen's University Teaching Assistant
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 September 2016
I had a positive experience working as a TA at Queen's University. The university is tight-knit; it supports its TAs and compensates them fairly. I received the training and support that I needed.
Graduate teaching assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON15 September 2016
Worked with students marking assignments, leading laboratory work, and delegating tasks to undergraduate teaching assistants
Ok place, too many regulations
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON22 July 2016
I enjoyed working there, even though there were too many formalities that could've prevented more productive environment. It's a huge organization, so it wasn't always optimized, and some sacrifices had to be made.

4.5