Queen's University

Queen's University Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very productive and supportive place to work
Student Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee), Kingston, ONJuly 5, 2015
Pros: Breaks in-between work
Cons: Can't think of any
My role at the work place was very important as I am the first point of contact for patrons. It was always busy and I was able to deliver as expected of me. Typical day at work is usually busy with a lot of protocols to be attended to. The management was efficient and very courteous to workers. Co-workers were very friendly and hardworking as well. The most enjoyable part of the job was on the job. I never experienced any hard part on the job.
Supervisor
FOOD SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Kingston, ONJuly 3, 2015
Pros: all holidays that my kids where off from school so was I
Cons: summer's off no work
Ensuring that staff has their stations ready for service, making sure that all staff or there for their shift and if any call-ins I would fill the shift according to the union bargaining agreement
Productive and Fun Workplace
Facilities Centre Assistant - Casual Summer (Current Employee), Kingston, ONJune 23, 2015
Queen's is a great place to work. I work in Facilities for the Residence Buildings. A typical day for me is a very unpredictable. I would be in the office handing out keys, entering work orders for trades, to going to each building by posting Maintenance alerts for what is happening to each building.

The best part of my job is that there is not much repetition as there is always something to do. The co-workers that I work for are great. They make the job fun and most importantly comfortable if you need to ask any questions.

The hardest part of my job would be trying to get the problems that are occurring in the buildings and to make sure all the requests that the students or guest get completed on a timely manner.
Hard to review a university
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Kingston, ONJune 19, 2015
I worked as a research assistant on a private contract. It's hard to review a university since it's such a large place with so many divisions and administrations.

I can say that the Mechanical Engineering department is EXTREMELY well run by an extremely capable, clever and experienced staff.

The university campus itself is lovely, within walking distance of great neighbourhoods and the downtown core. It's a great place to live and work.
A place of Learning
Field Assistant (Former Employee), Kingston, ONMay 12, 2015
Pros: New adventures, nice staff, lots of learning
Cons: Long hours
This Job provided me with insight into the environmental sector. I learned how to operate several machines on the field including but not limited to IP Resistivity, Seismic machines and more. It did not end there however, I also learned how to use software such as Mat Lab, IOGAS, ArcMap and much more. My co-workers were friendly and nice and we helped each other out. The hardest part of the Job was taking measurement in Minus 30 plus degrees but the most enjoyable part of the job was exploring new terrain.
Flexible Working Evironment
Sports Information Assistant (Former Employee), Kingston, ONMay 6, 2015
Good student working experience with flexible hours. Very dynamic position, providing various opportunities to apply oneself in different ways.
Productive and fun place to work
Prep Worker/ Banquet Server/ Cashier (Current Employee), Kingston, ONMay 4, 2015
Pros: summers off
Cons: summers off
Served Queen students daily, learned patience and humility on many occasions. My management team is awesome always willing to help. Co-workers were always there with a smile when you needed one.
Great student job to have
Console ATtendant (Current Employee), Kingston, ONMarch 15, 2015
-Schedule is catered to your classes and it's right on campus.
-Easy to learn
-Your supervisor is great
-Great office to work in
Great work opportunity and atmosphere
Learning Lab Facilitator (Current Employee), Kingston, OntarioMarch 11, 2015
- Amazing opportunity to adapt teaching and learning styles from others, and grow as an individual. This opportunity allowed me to further see the changes that occur from a first year to fourth year undergraduate student.
Academic Institution
Assistant Professor (Current Employee), Kingston, ONMarch 10, 2015
Pros: a strong focus on research
Cons: limited permanet positions
One of the best universities in Canada. Queen's University has strong focus on both teaching and research. Overall Queen's is a great place to work.
Queen's University
International Education Intern (Former Employee), Kingston, ONFebruary 23, 2015
Introduced to the field of international education. Learned how to organize, present and manage programs. Shadowed many administrators and worked with students.
Independent Working Environment
Head web developer and web trainer (Current Employee), Kingston, ONFebruary 21, 2015
- hourly based, work from home student job
- created new website for department from ground up
- learned to manage myself and work independently without direction from management
- provided training for other student employees on web skills
- hardest part would be training others in skills they have no experience with
- most enjoyable part would be the independence
A good university
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Kingston, ONJanuary 6, 2015
I learned a lot while working at Queen's University. I gained skills in experimental design and statistics. The laboratory was very friendly and the collaboration between co-workers enabled a professional environment. The hardest part of the job was to leave it because my co-workers became my friends and the projects became my source of knowledge.
Great University
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Kingston, ONNovember 11, 2014
Great university with TAships available for graduate students and post-docs.
School spirit like no other.
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Kingston, ONJuly 15, 2014
The most incredible experience, the most wonderful spirit.
Very friendly environment with lots of opportunity to learn and gain more skills
Summer Student (Former Employee), Kingston, ONMay 8, 2014
Pros: flexible work time
I learnt a lot while working at Queen's University. I gained skills in Molecular and Cellular Biology techniques. The laboratory was very friendly and the collaboration between co-workers enabled a professional environment. The hardest part of the job was to leave it because my co-workers became my friends and the projects became my source of knowledge. The most enjoyable part of the job was to go into the laboratory and start the experiments.
BEST
Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Kingston,ONApril 27, 2014
BEST University to me for the work I do here. Office environment is great
Gain Valuable Experience
Clinical Trials Assistant (Former Employee), Kingston, ONMarch 24, 2014
Always was busy.
I was able to learn valuable job skills from numerous departments.
Management was always changing and decreasing due to cut-backs.
Co-workers were great in the beginning then morale was down as cut-backs set in and job security became a thing of the past (in the department where I worked).
Hardest part of the day was hearing others complain.
The most enjoyable part of the day was feeling as though I made a difference and had helped others along the way.
I have enjoyed and learned from my experience at Queen's: I find a new challenge is necessary now.
General Surgeon, Attending Staff (Former Employee), Kingston, ONFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: a friendly environment in a beautiful city.
Cons: long hours of call as one ages becomes a challenge.
Queen's has offered a rewarding and challenging work opportunity that has been carried out in a collegial manner that involves clinical, teaching and administrative work. The most difficult part of the work has been trust in resident staff and co-workers. As always the reward of patiient trust and care is foremost. A typical day includes a variety of clinics, surgery, endoscopy and call responsibilities.
Productive Workplace with a Great Learning Curve
Lab Research Assistant (Current Employee), Kingston, ONFebruary 2, 2014
I do enjoy going into work every day (M.Sc. Graduate candidate) but as my time of completion nears, I need to start thinking about future workplaces and where I will settle down. I have learned many things while studying polymer chemistry at Queen's University, the most important being the skill of polymer coatings. I love my supervisor and I love the people I work with. They are a very genuine and hardworking group of individuals that would do anything for you if you needed help. The hardest part of the job would be getting back up after an experiment doesn't work out the way you thought it would.. but I guess that's research. The best part of the job would be that feeling of joy when your experiment does work and you know it would look great in a publication.

About Queen's University

Queen's University at Kingston is a public research university located in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. Founded on 16 October 1841, – Read more