Queen's University Employee Reviews

A very supportive and friendly environment to be at.
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON3 July 2017
I joined Queen's university as a graduate student for five years and as a postdoctoral fellow for less than a year. During this period I got the chance to work with different research groups and communicating with many colleagues, staff and faculty members. Overall, I feel it was an amazing experience.
Enjoyable workplace with strong faculty
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON14 June 2017
I enjoyed working as a teaching assistant at Queen's University. I learnt quite a bit about a variety of academic subdisciplines. I also believe that this job enhanced by comprehension and writing skills. Working as a teaching assistant forces an individual to be able to speak effectively, be patient as well as learn to engage with a variety of student skillsets.
Great Time
Library Assistant, Joseph S. Stauffer Library (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON10 June 2017
Very nice employer, no complaints. Well structured, great support for individual needs. Opportunity for advancement and location is great right near the water.
Queens is a fabulous institution
Service Staff, Walkhome (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON29 May 2017
The best 4 years of my life here thus far. Jobs within the AMS are student-run and equal opportunity. Managers are very understanding of academic demands and engagements. Great way to meet people.
Surprising and enjoyable job
Catering staff (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON25 May 2017
This is my first job and I am still working there during school time. Catering service is interesting and their task varies each time so you never know what you will be doing until you arrive there. I learned a lot of skills there and it builds my confidence and communicating skills by working with a team. It requests people to be strong and this was the most challenging part for me. Since I got the job, I started to train my arm muscles. We held many different kinds of events and weddings during summer time. Each experience is unique for me. Besides learning skills, it is also interesting to meet different people from different events. Sometimes we can also eat the same food as the customs, but of course, only after the events ended. Overall, it is a very enjoyable job which plays a big part in my university life.
Pros
Good food
Security Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON25 May 2017
Queen's is a great place to learn new things. There are always people there to teach you new things and willing to help you learn. great place to work if you are just starting out or even if you have been out working for a few years
Good experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON21 May 2017
Flexible hours, acquired practical and transferable skills, lots of variety in tasks - kept things interesting, compensation was fair, work at own pace
Great learning Experience
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON19 April 2017
a typical day consists of marking and editing students paper,but also making sure you are prepared for the readings.
the workplace is wonderful.
the management was always wonderful and helpful whenever you needed them.
working with students was the greatest part of the day.
Great employer
Orientation Week Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SK29 March 2017
Queen's is a wonderful employer. They are very accommodating to students and incredibly approachable in regards to dealing with any issues. It has been a pleasure working for them.
nice place to work in
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON28 March 2017
good management, nice environment, small and peaceful city, fair work and life balance, very nice people to work with

everything is good

increasing pay will be better
Encouraging and supportive work environment
Health Education Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON15 March 2017
Through this position, I learned how to manage people and effectively use qualitative analysis software in the creation of multiple publications about the Canadian Frailty Network.
Great School
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON12 March 2017
Great experience as a teaching assistant, the hours of work are reasonable for an undergraduate student. As a teaching assistant, I had the opportunity to become more comfortable with speaking in front of a group of people, and it was a great opportunity to get to know some professors better.
Productive and great experience as a security guard
Student Constable (Security Guard) (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON10 March 2017
Working here is amazing because I get to learn more about myself and others while being professional. I also get to deal with people who are intoxicated which teaches me to patient and understanding.
Pros
We learn to be independent while approaching patrons, we also work as a team before confronting people
Cons
Hours are at night
It all depends on the department
Term Adjunct Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON28 February 2017
lack of department funding leads to an insufficient number of TAs and makes a professor's life much harder as you are fully responsible for the course.
Pros
Queen's University Faculty Association, Kingston is nice
Cons
this is a semester by semester job contract and cannot sustain you all year
Great Job
Administrative Coordinator for the VP (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON24 February 2017
-Typical day consisted of coordinating VP's daily activities
-Very rewarding job, learned a lot about management
-Most enjoyable part was meeting with senior officals
Being a student at Queen's university is great, but less personal than I had hoped
Student (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON16 February 2017
While I have been learning a lot at school and having a great time, the type of learning that is catered to the masses is not my favorite style. I prefer hands on, personal instruction.
This was a great job to work while being in school
Project Manager - First Year Design Course (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON14 February 2017
-Typical day consisted of meeting with my three groups of first year engineers that I was responsible for managing.
-Very rewarding job, learned a lot about management in a technical setting.
-Most enjoyable part was passing knowledge on to younger engineers.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Ok place to work
Operations Manager, Industrial Relations Centre (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON12 February 2017
Depending on the department you work in, Queen's can be a great place to work. The most disappointing part of employment at Queen's is that if you are not a USW 2010 employee you are essentially viewed as an external applicant for any administrative position (as 99% of them fall under USW 2010 jurisdiction).
not bad if you can get in and stay
Laboratory Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON4 February 2017
Extremely pro-union and incestuous in hiring. After 9 years working contract there I applied to a job that should have been a "shoe-in", as even my boss was saying it would be a perfect fit. Only later, without even getting an interview did I find out that they already had their replacement chosen, even worked the person in the position for four months before the predecessor retired, to ensure they could handle it, and THEN they posted the job opening.
Great benefits (depending on what level and where you are exactly), good pay, fair comradery and environment. Funding is decreasing however and cutbacks and layoffs throughout 2014-2017 were running rampant. They will not hire those who are overqualified, finding any other excuse knowing that they cannot use that as the excuse.
Pros
benefits, dental and prescription drugs
Cons
hiring managers and HR policy too incestuous
Sure bet for a great grad school experience
MEng Student - Analysis of Oil Sands Industry (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON1 February 2017
I did several real-life applicable projects as part of my masters degree at Queen's U and the entire process was fun and actually educating. I often worked with a panel of industry and academic advisors on projects where my solutions were applied in the real world. The faculty and staff were very helpful and supportive. I'd definitely recommend the experience to anyone considering it.