Queen's University Employee Reviews in Canada

great place to work
Technician (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONApril 14, 2016
i had a great experience at Queens, people were nice, able to move around within the campus. Great shifts for work, understanding of peoples needs for shift planning.
Amazing time with great people
First Year Executive President of Queen’s EngSoc (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONMarch 4, 2016
Its a great place for students to learn and grow. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to apply hear. The leadership opportunities are ridiculous.
A good place to work
Teaching and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONMarch 3, 2016
Working at Queen's is an amazing learning opportunity. I got to work with great professors and kind people and, most importantly, I could improve students' understanding about gender issues.
Productive but stressfull
Residence Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Victoria HallJanuary 17, 2016
They day would kick off with finding the location you would work at. Everyday you would usually be placed on a different floor or a different building. After finding your location and getting there, you would greet the other employees that you would be working with that day and discuss what rooms need to be done, and if anything specific that should be focused on. Between either a 4 hour shift, or 8 hour shift, you would work hard on getting rooms prepared on time. Some days rooms would get done early,and if they did then we would do a lot of detail work such as scrapping paint off desks etc. By the end of the day everyone greets each other one last time before we go to the building where we first signed in, then of course go home.
Pros
Made lots of friends, learned good cleaning skills
Cons
stressful, drama between employees
Lab supervision
Laboratory Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 11, 2016
Very busy, but organizing lab materials and students during the time slot. Assisting students with the overall procedure, as well as lab safety.
Results oriented and ability to work in any location particularly in remote areas
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONNovember 19, 2015
Meticulous, Innovative, assertive, and goal oriented Mining Engineer excellent at juggling multiple tasks and working under pressure. Proven ability to manage personnel, maintains performance records and conduct annual appraisals
Productive and excellent people to work with.
Clinical Trials Assistant (Former Employee) –  NCIC Clinical Trials GroupJuly 15, 2015
Each day at Queen's was a new experience working in clinical trials. I learned to address physicians and nurses from many countries with questions regarding the trial(s) that I was working on.
My co-workers were great which made this job very enjoyable.
At the end of the day there really wasn't any hard part to my job.
My opinion on management was lack of experience in dealing with workers.
Pros
Hour lunches
Cons
Long drive to work
Very productive and supportive place to work
Student Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJuly 5, 2015
My role at the work place was very important as I am the first point of contact for patrons. It was always busy and I was able to deliver as expected of me. Typical day at work is usually busy with a lot of protocols to be attended to. The management was efficient and very courteous to workers. Co-workers were very friendly and hardworking as well. The most enjoyable part of the job was on the job. I never experienced any hard part on the job.
Pros
Breaks in-between work
Cons
Can't think of any
Supervisor
FOOD SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJuly 3, 2015
Ensuring that staff has their stations ready for service, making sure that all staff or there for their shift and if any call-ins I would fill the shift according to the union bargaining agreement
Pros
all holidays that my kids where off from school so was I
Cons
summer's off no work
Productive and Fun Workplace
Facilities Centre Assistant - Casual Summer (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONJune 23, 2015
Queen's is a great place to work. I work in Facilities for the Residence Buildings. A typical day for me is a very unpredictable. I would be in the office handing out keys, entering work orders for trades, to going to each building by posting Maintenance alerts for what is happening to each building.

The best part of my job is that there is not much repetition as there is always something to do. The co-workers that I work for are great. They make the job fun and most importantly comfortable if you need to ask any questions.

The hardest part of my job would be trying to get the problems that are occurring in the buildings and to make sure all the requests that the students or guest get completed on a timely manner.
Hard to review a university
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONJune 19, 2015
I worked as a research assistant on a private contract. It's hard to review a university since it's such a large place with so many divisions and administrations.

I can say that the Mechanical Engineering department is EXTREMELY well run by an extremely capable, clever and experienced staff.

The university campus itself is lovely, within walking distance of great neighbourhoods and the downtown core. It's a great place to live and work.
A place of Learning
Field Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONMay 12, 2015
This Job provided me with insight into the environmental sector. I learned how to operate several machines on the field including but not limited to IP Resistivity, Seismic machines and more. It did not end there however, I also learned how to use software such as Mat Lab, IOGAS, ArcMap and much more. My co-workers were friendly and nice and we helped each other out. The hardest part of the Job was taking measurement in Minus 30 plus degrees but the most enjoyable part of the job was exploring new terrain.
Pros
New adventures, nice staff, lots of learning
Flexible Working Evironment
Sports Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONMay 6, 2015
Good student working experience with flexible hours. Very dynamic position, providing various opportunities to apply oneself in different ways.
Productive and fun place to work
Prep Worker/ Banquet Server/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONMay 4, 2015
Served Queen students daily, learned patience and humility on many occasions. My management team is awesome always willing to help. Co-workers were always there with a smile when you needed one.
Pros
summers off
Cons
summers off
Great student job to have
Console ATtendant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONMarch 15, 2015
-Schedule is catered to your classes and it's right on campus.
-Easy to learn
-Your supervisor is great
-Great office to work in
Great work opportunity and atmosphere
Learning Lab Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Kingston, OntarioMarch 11, 2015
- Amazing opportunity to adapt teaching and learning styles from others, and grow as an individual. This opportunity allowed me to further see the changes that occur from a first year to fourth year undergraduate student.
Academic Institution
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONMarch 10, 2015
One of the best universities in Canada. Queen's University has strong focus on both teaching and research. Overall Queen's is a great place to work.
Pros
a strong focus on research
Cons
limited permanet positions
Queen's University
International Education Intern (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONFebruary 23, 2015
Introduced to the field of international education. Learned how to organize, present and manage programs. Shadowed many administrators and worked with students.
Independent Working Environment
Head web developer and web trainer (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONFebruary 21, 2015
- hourly based, work from home student job
- created new website for department from ground up
- learned to manage myself and work independently without direction from management
- provided training for other student employees on web skills
- hardest part would be training others in skills they have no experience with
- most enjoyable part would be the independence
A good university
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 6, 2015
I learned a lot while working at Queen's University. I gained skills in experimental design and statistics. The laboratory was very friendly and the collaboration between co-workers enabled a professional environment. The hardest part of the job was to leave it because my co-workers became my friends and the projects became my source of knowledge.

4.6