Queen's University Employee Reviews

Great Experience!
Laboratory Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON2 November 2016
This job provided me with the foundation for working in a laboratory setting and provided me with a lot of hands on experience.
Fantastic environment.
Instructor for English (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON1 November 2016
Working at Queen's is rewarding both academically and socially. I was always surrounded by a fantastic group of colleagues, and the teaching experience I gained there is invaluable to my further development as a researcher and instructor.
Encouraging environment; exceptional academic staff
Research Assistant (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON27 October 2016
working with personable leaders was an exceptional experience. Considerable effort in guidance and teaching. RA jobs are likely to depend substantially on staff member you work with.
Graduate teaching assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON15 September 2016
Worked with students marking assignments, leading laboratory work, and delegating tasks to undergraduate teaching assistants
Collaborative and supportive environment
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON12 September 2016
As a research associate, your typical day is very flexible. I was in the field and laboratory on most days and found my labmates to be extremely collaborative and supportive. Coworkers are typically looking to build you up and help you out, but there can be a sense of competition within the workplace.
Pros
Growth, support, inspiration
Cons
Competitive
Queen's University Teaching Assistant
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 September 2016
I had a positive experience working as a TA at Queen's University. The university is tight-knit; it supports its TAs and compensates them fairly. I received the training and support that I needed.
Amazing experience which helped me grow and develop a number of skills
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 August 2016
A typical day as a Teaching Assistant (TA) entails that I review and respond to emails that may have been sent in by my students, schedule appointments with them and follow-up accordingly. I would plan the tutorial session for the tutorials that I led and then follow through accordingly in-class, adjusting when necessary. The most difficult aspect of being a TA is fermenting class discussion, but the most enjoyable part is when the class discussion picks up and fruitful conversation ensues.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
Teaching courses while studying yourself
Ok place, too many regulations
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON22 July 2016
I enjoyed working there, even though there were too many formalities that could've prevented more productive environment. It's a huge organization, so it wasn't always optimized, and some sacrifices had to be made.
Excellent school with fantastic people
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON5 July 2016
Great place of learning with many friendly people willing to assist someone who is ambitious and seeking to absorb new information. Excellent teaching staff and a great environment for self improvement.
Awesome job, great peers and staff
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON7 June 2016
-It gets very busy during office hours on the days before assignments are due.
-Sometimes understaffed but at other times overstaffed.
Great place to learn and thrive
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 June 2016
Exposure to a wide range of academic learning opportunities and inspiring people who desire to assist you in what you're passionate about. Most of my experiences take place in clinics and hospitals affiliated with the university and the experiences I have had with staff and patients have been fantastic. My experiments focus on the possible effect of atypical anti-psychotic medications on non-declarative memory performance in people with psychotic disorders. The specific focus of the work I do presents challenges in terms of increasing sample size, but overall persistence and determination are key to success.
Provided me with the necessary work requirements to fulfill my co-op obligation
Office/Financial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON12 May 2016
Working at Queen's was a good experience. It was an office environment with pleasant people and an overall good attitude. Prior to my time spent there during the summer of 2015, I had been working there in the summer of 2014 where my job description was mainly clerical duties. However, in 2015, I was given more accounting related responsibility upon request. There I was performing my usual duties in addition to processing cheque requisitions, maintaining office supplies inventory, and managing invoices.

There were individuals available to not only train me, but also assist me throughout the employment timeline. The main accounting software that I was using was Peoplesoft, and by the end, I was well versed in its applications. I was grateful to have been given this employment opportunity, as it was a requirement for co-op in order to obtain my degree. There was nothing hard about he job to speak of, though I did wish for more accounting responsibility versus the clerical duties where I had already gained the experience in the prior year. It was still nice of them to offer me the tasks they did, and I would consider it a good first step into my career.
great place to work
Technician (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON14 April 2016
i had a great experience at Queens, people were nice, able to move around within the campus. Great shifts for work, understanding of peoples needs for shift planning.
Amazing time with great people
First Year Executive President of Queen’s EngSoc (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON4 March 2016
Its a great place for students to learn and grow. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to apply hear. The leadership opportunities are ridiculous.
A good place to work
Teaching and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON3 March 2016
Working at Queen's is an amazing learning opportunity. I got to work with great professors and kind people and, most importantly, I could improve students' understanding about gender issues.
Productive but stressfull
Residence Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Victoria Hall17 January 2016
They day would kick off with finding the location you would work at. Everyday you would usually be placed on a different floor or a different building. After finding your location and getting there, you would greet the other employees that you would be working with that day and discuss what rooms need to be done, and if anything specific that should be focused on. Between either a 4 hour shift, or 8 hour shift, you would work hard on getting rooms prepared on time. Some days rooms would get done early,and if they did then we would do a lot of detail work such as scrapping paint off desks etc. By the end of the day everyone greets each other one last time before we go to the building where we first signed in, then of course go home.
Pros
Made lots of friends, learned good cleaning skills
Cons
stressful, drama between employees
Lab supervision
Laboratory Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 January 2016
Very busy, but organizing lab materials and students during the time slot. Assisting students with the overall procedure, as well as lab safety.
Results oriented and ability to work in any location particularly in remote areas
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON19 November 2015
Meticulous, Innovative, assertive, and goal oriented Mining Engineer excellent at juggling multiple tasks and working under pressure. Proven ability to manage personnel, maintains performance records and conduct annual appraisals
Productive and excellent people to work with.
Clinical Trials Assistant (Former Employee) –  NCIC Clinical Trials Group15 July 2015
Each day at Queen's was a new experience working in clinical trials. I learned to address physicians and nurses from many countries with questions regarding the trial(s) that I was working on.
My co-workers were great which made this job very enjoyable.
At the end of the day there really wasn't any hard part to my job.
My opinion on management was lack of experience in dealing with workers.
Pros
Hour lunches
Cons
Long drive to work
Very productive and supportive place to work
Student Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON5 July 2015
My role at the work place was very important as I am the first point of contact for patrons. It was always busy and I was able to deliver as expected of me. Typical day at work is usually busy with a lot of protocols to be attended to. The management was efficient and very courteous to workers. Co-workers were very friendly and hardworking as well. The most enjoyable part of the job was on the job. I never experienced any hard part on the job.
Pros
Breaks in-between work
Cons
Can't think of any

4.6