Queen's University Employee Reviews

Great learning Experience
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON19 April 2017
a typical day consists of marking and editing students paper,but also making sure you are prepared for the readings.
the workplace is wonderful.
the management was always wonderful and helpful whenever you needed them.
working with students was the greatest part of the day.
Great employer
Orientation Week Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SK29 March 2017
Queen's is a wonderful employer. They are very accommodating to students and incredibly approachable in regards to dealing with any issues. It has been a pleasure working for them.
nice place to work in
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON28 March 2017
good management, nice environment, small and peaceful city, fair work and life balance, very nice people to work with

everything is good

increasing pay will be better
Encouraging and supportive work environment
Health Education Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON15 March 2017
Through this position, I learned how to manage people and effectively use qualitative analysis software in the creation of multiple publications about the Canadian Frailty Network.
Great School
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON12 March 2017
Great experience as a teaching assistant, the hours of work are reasonable for an undergraduate student. As a teaching assistant, I had the opportunity to become more comfortable with speaking in front of a group of people, and it was a great opportunity to get to know some professors better.
Productive and great experience as a security guard
Student Constable (Security Guard) (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON10 March 2017
Working here is amazing because I get to learn more about myself and others while being professional. I also get to deal with people who are intoxicated which teaches me to patient and understanding.
Pros
We learn to be independent while approaching patrons, we also work as a team before confronting people
Cons
Hours are at night
It all depends on the department
Term Adjunct Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON28 February 2017
lack of department funding leads to an insufficient number of TAs and makes a professor's life much harder as you are fully responsible for the course.
Pros
Queen's University Faculty Association, Kingston is nice
Cons
this is a semester by semester job contract and cannot sustain you all year
Great Job
Administrative Coordinator for the VP (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON24 February 2017
-Typical day consisted of coordinating VP's daily activities
-Very rewarding job, learned a lot about management
-Most enjoyable part was meeting with senior officals
Being a student at Queen's university is great, but less personal than I had hoped
Student (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON16 February 2017
While I have been learning a lot at school and having a great time, the type of learning that is catered to the masses is not my favorite style. I prefer hands on, personal instruction.
This was a great job to work while being in school
Project Manager - First Year Design Course (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON14 February 2017
-Typical day consisted of meeting with my three groups of first year engineers that I was responsible for managing.
-Very rewarding job, learned a lot about management in a technical setting.
-Most enjoyable part was passing knowledge on to younger engineers.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Ok place to work
Operations Manager, Industrial Relations Centre (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON12 February 2017
Depending on the department you work in, Queen's can be a great place to work. The most disappointing part of employment at Queen's is that if you are not a USW 2010 employee you are essentially viewed as an external applicant for any administrative position (as 99% of them fall under USW 2010 jurisdiction).
not bad if you can get in and stay
Laboratory Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON4 February 2017
Extremely pro-union and incestuous in hiring. After 9 years working contract there I applied to a job that should have been a "shoe-in", as even my boss was saying it would be a perfect fit. Only later, without even getting an interview did I find out that they already had their replacement chosen, even worked the person in the position for four months before the predecessor retired, to ensure they could handle it, and THEN they posted the job opening.
Great benefits (depending on what level and where you are exactly), good pay, fair comradery and environment. Funding is decreasing however and cutbacks and layoffs throughout 2014-2017 were running rampant. They will not hire those who are overqualified, finding any other excuse knowing that they cannot use that as the excuse.
Pros
benefits, dental and prescription drugs
Cons
hiring managers and HR policy too incestuous
Sure bet for a great grad school experience
MEng Student - Analysis of Oil Sands Industry (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON1 February 2017
I did several real-life applicable projects as part of my masters degree at Queen's U and the entire process was fun and actually educating. I often worked with a panel of industry and academic advisors on projects where my solutions were applied in the real world. The faculty and staff were very helpful and supportive. I'd definitely recommend the experience to anyone considering it.
Good place for summer work for students with another job
Queen's Residences - Casual Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON12 January 2017
The work day was often four hours long, though you could ask if there was a way to work more hours. It was in the morning. The work environment was generally good. The managers were good when I was working there and fairly organized, but sometimes too many people would get sent to to a job. The hardest part about this job can sometimes be finding something to do.
research assistant/MSc candidate
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON5 January 2017
great school, great department, and great supervisor
two years of MSc studies. overall it is a very good experience
you can always find some extra funding from the school
Support in everything
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON27 December 2016
Working with many people with different backgrounds,we were always in training, they encourage education on all levels.My co-workers were considerate of others and easy to get along with.The hardest part of the job was working in stairwells. The best part of the job was working for the students ,they were interesting and caring people.
Pros
Meeting people from around the world
Cons
Very physical work
Great work experience
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON17 December 2016
Queen's University is a pleasant place for working. Coworkers are nice and the benefits are good. The job culture and ethics is positive.
great place great environment
PHP Full Stack Developer (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON3 November 2016
A great place to live and work. Nice friendly town, Queen's University is a top notch employer. The colleagues are friendly and helpful. My bosses and supervisors are helpful and respectful to me and my colleagues.
Great Experience!
Laboratory Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON2 November 2016
This job provided me with the foundation for working in a laboratory setting and provided me with a lot of hands on experience.
Fantastic environment.
Instructor for English (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON1 November 2016
Working at Queen's is rewarding both academically and socially. I was always surrounded by a fantastic group of colleagues, and the teaching experience I gained there is invaluable to my further development as a researcher and instructor.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Queen's University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2