Department of Development, Office of Advancement
Are you a highly organized and detail-oriented individual looking for an opportunity to enhance your administrative expertise in the higher education charitable sector?
Reporting to the Associate Director of Development the incumbent is responsible for providing an advanced level of organizational, administrative and financial support including budgetary responsibilities, and for coordinating the day-to-day administrative services for the Chief Development Officer. The incumbent has direct responsibility for the handling of highly sensitive and confidential budget and strategic documents and materials.
The incumbent is also required to provide administrative support to the Development Leadership Team including correspondence preparation, departmental budgetary tasks and the responsibility for the handling, storage, management and disposal of financial, donor and human resource materials such as performance evaluations and confidential employee files.
The Administrative Assistant will:
- Respond to inquiries and act as frontline resource and contact person for the Chief Development Officer and the Department of Development; screen inquiries and requests; research and respond within guidelines. Using sound judgment, redirect tasks not requiring senior management involvement and proactively research and compile facts for those that do.
- Handle the Chief Development Officer’s correspondence, much of which is of a confidential or highly sensitive nature; initiate and prepare correspondence; ensure the timely flow of correspondence; coordinate departmental meetings; prepare agendas and minutes; coordinate special departmental projects, determine the appropriate handling of enquiries and items of business; maintain an effective bring forward system.
- Liaise with and support volunteers who are fundraising for Queen’s University.
- Maintain confidential files containing sensitive materials related to organizational strategic plans; operational funding initiatives, donor sensitive correspondence, and personnel files including hiring materials, employment contracts, and all other employee-specific confidential HR documents. Prepare materials for annual plans and annual performance reviews, document and track vacation/absences. May include transcription of notes recorded for disciplinary measures, and formal documentation records in compliance with HR recommended procedures for performance management of staff.
- Plan and maintain the Chief Development Officer’s schedule; arrange and coordinate travel and accommodations; set-up donor and alumni visits; process travel expenses for the Chief Development Officer and other Development staff in a timely manner. Coordinate and support meetings; prepare and circulate notices, agendas, background material, book guests, rooms and equipment. Attend meetings to record minutes, transcribe and circulate.
- Coordinate and oversee budgeting activities for the Department of Development including the Chief Development Officer, Faculty Development, Stewardship, and the Campaign. Administer departmental accounts; co-ordinate financial processes; reconcile invoices and Visa statements; process financial transactions and maintain accurate records; process and review travel reimbursements; prepare cheques requisitions; monitor and reconcile accounts on a monthly basis.
- Undertake other coordination and administrative duties as delegated in support of the unit or department.
- Minimum two year post-secondary program in accounting and business administration practices, with several years of practical experience in an administrative support role.
- Familiarity with a broad range of university policies and procedures; sound knowledge of the university’s administrative, financial, academic and governing structure.
- Superior written/oral/interpersonal skills to work well in a complex, decentralized environment. Ability to deal effectively with diverse groups of people, including senior administrators, colleagues, and donors; ability to identify and respond to the needs and interests of varied audiences. An aptitude to learn new software applications is an asset.
- Strong administrative and/or managerial experience working in a multi-tasking role and involving delegating work to other Directors or volunteers.
- Demonstrated experience in a demanding work environment with multiple sources of work assignments, requiring meeting deadlines, maintaining accuracy and superior attention to detail, quality/efficiency, as well as the ability to work independently and as a member of a coordinated team.
- Advanced knowledge of operating systems including Windows, Microsoft, PeopleSoft, BSR-Advance, and Internet tools for data and statistical analysis.
- Consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
For additional details on this continuing appointment please visit our Human Resources website at www.queensu.ca/humanresources.
Candidates should send a letter of application and a resume by July 8, 2014, quoting competition #2014-178. The University thanks all who express an interest in this position and advises that only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
One of Canada’s leading universities, Queen’s has a long-standing reputation for academic excellence, research and a diverse and vibrant learning environment. With its strong tradition of public service, the University has helped to shape Canadian values and policies, educating notable political and cultural figures.
Queen’s University is located in the heart of the community in historic Kingston, midpoint between Montreal and Toronto, and the nation’s capital.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Queen’s is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
One of Canada’s leading universities, Queen’s has a long-standing reputation for academic excellence, research and a diverse and...