QinetiQ North America

QinetiQ North America Employee Reviews

Positive, rewarding and friendly place to work.
Senior Airworthiness Engineer (Current Employee) –  AmesburyMarch 6, 2016
Good work life balance, with a good corporate induction. A great team ethic and positive work life balance whilst still being challenged professionally. Great benefits, shares and pension policies in place.
Pros
Positive work life balance with excellent benefits, shares and pension policy
Cons
Wrong location for my family
Could have been the best job I ever had...till the contract ended...
Technical Writer / Researcher / CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAFebruary 22, 2016
This was a contract job updating MIL-SPECs on a telecommute basis. Interesting, challenging work. Great team (even though scattered around the country).

The worst part was being laid off due to Govt $$ shortfalls.

The best part was being being able to work from home, maintaining a pretty good work/life balance.

The company itself was okay, if a bit distant. My supervisor wasn't always great, since they had very different modes of communications between written and telephone. You didn't always know where you stood. Could be frustrating.

Otherwise though, with a little higher pay, this would have been my dream job.
Decent work colleagues, outdated equipment and facilities and bad management
Apprentice Avionics Aircraft Technician (Former Employee) –  SalisburyMarch 5, 2016
QinetiQ was filled with decent people, that counted a large amount to the ratings I have left above. they offered a relatively high level of pay for the role I was in as an apprentice.

however this is counteracted by the attitude of management. We were treated as second rate employees, we would be expected to follow rules that were not followed by non-apprentice employees, despite being told this would never happen.

the equipment that we were forced to use was extremely outdated, and often designed for different purposes. The equipment was also very prone to malfunction and faults. this would often lead to questions on if the results were valid or not. definitely not a situation you would like to be in when working on aircraft.
Pros
extremely cheap lunches at mess hall
Cons
attitude of management, condition of supplied equipment
Was a good place to work
HR Coordinator (Deployment Coordinator) (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXAugust 15, 2016
I best part of the job for me is that I created a workflow for and was responsible for deployment of all contractors that were willing to work in a oversea position and environment.
Pros
good work schedule
Cons
Basically on call
Excellent company
Optics - Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Kennedy Space Center, FLAugust 16, 2016
I was on base to see the final three Space Shuttle launches and these are memories you can't take away or forget. Some of the best people in the world to work with.
Pros
Saw Space Shuttle launches up close
Cons
Space Shuttle ended
Great co-workers and work life balance
Contracts Coordinator and Administrator (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALAugust 3, 2015
I still communicate with my old co workers and appreciate their support during my pregnancy and birth. I found out I was having twins less than a year after my tenure at Qinetiq. The news was received with support and caring. I was concerned since the company was undergoing a reorganization at the time. I always look back on that time with joy.
Pros
company work culture events, professional association meetings
Cons
change in management altered the culture
embedded Defence position
Specialist Project Consultant (Former Employee) –  RAAF Richmond NSWJune 21, 2016
autonomous position providing base line costing for the maintaining of a specific aircraft fleet and advice on outsourcing of these aspects to the commercial world
Pros
autonomous position
Cons
little to no support from company
great company
Data Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Irwin, CASeptember 8, 2016
great company to grow your management skill and grow. Management encouraged growth for everyone. Management always willing to assist
Professional Team Members
Business Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kandahar, AfghanistanMay 14, 2016
QNA hired quality individuals to perform highly technical skills in austere conditions throughout combat zones in support of US Govt contracts.
Pros
Private living quarters
Cons
Desert environment
The work was fun, but the management was appalling!
Mechanical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  UKJanuary 25, 2015
As a company, QinetiQ is not worth anyone's time. It is a company that will take in people who are helpfull, willing and hard working and grind them down untill there is nothing left. The ethos of the company is to get what they can as cheap as they can and completely forget that that person was a human being.

Very high rates of sickness due to stress and even depression amongst staff.

The management from site managers upwards will take all the praises and also bonuses, and give nothing to the people that actually did all the work.

I know of another employee who was refused further employment with the company because they were on the autism spectrum. Massively discriminative and very uncalled for treatment of a member of staff.

Most sites are run on an if your face fits you will progress. If your face does not fit, they will get rid of you or force you to quit as soon as they can
Pros
the people that do hard graft are a great bunch of people (no form of management included)
Cons
management are to stuck up themselves to realise people have feelings.
The management team left a lot to be desired.
Security Guard/Escort (Former Employee) –  ENGOctober 14, 2015
I worked as part of a 3 man security escort team, escorting workers on site working on the sea wall project. I had a great time with the 2 guys I worked with and we really bonded and worked well together. I also made many friends within the security team on-site as well as the workers. I felt the management did not look after the workers on site very well and in so doing did not get the best out of the employees.
Pros
Great bunch of people to work with
Becoming more corporate
Consultancy Category Lead (Current Employee) –  FarnboroughApril 18, 2016
Recent organisation changes should be good for QinetiQ and allow it to realise its potential. The most enjoyable part is to be able to develop my staff in an environment where no one day is the same.
QinetiQ becomes Vencore SSG
Professional (Former Employee) –  Redstone Arsenal, ALAugust 2, 2014
A typical day at my work involved serving the various needs of the Army and Government aviation flight test customer base. From my placement in the organization, I learned a lot about politics and how others play them ruthlessly. Regarding management, I learned there is a vast difference between supervisors and leaders - and there are very few Leaders. Most of my co-workers on the contract were stand-up high-quality people with their values and hearts in the right places. The hardest part of the job for me was working within a cult of personality supervisor culture that while demanding and intense, was also retaliatory, crude, intolerant, divisive, and failed to grow or encourage others outside their clique. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the many kind and professional people also serving within Army flight test.
Pros
good pay, good benefits, decent vacation time offering
Cons
cult of personality, subjective treatment of others, frequent supervisor gossip
Full of Energy, Ethusiasim and Excitement
Deputy Financial Controller (Current Employee) –  FarnboroughFebruary 15, 2016
A typical day at work is Liaising with members of the Leadership team and delivering results.

The hardest part of my job is getting everyone to sit down and prepare a budget.

I love the engagement with people and delivering to deadlines, I am passionate about my work, but I am now looking for a new challenge.
Pros
Free Parking
Good Internship
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 19, 2016
Enjoyed all of the people, they were very helpful and pleasant to work with. Not overly strict environment. As long as you completed work by deadline as was fine.
Previously 3H Technology and then purchased by QinetiQ
Sr. Quality Assurance / Quality Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAMarch 26, 2013
The first 6 years i worked for 3H Technologies and the company achieved tremendous goals such as ISO Certification in which I was a Lead Auditor. As well we achieved a CMMI acreditation. 3H Technologies was a very well balanced and efficient company. It was then bought by QinetiQ NA. The transistion was not well planned. New Management from QinetiQ had a difficult time associating with current management. raises were not based on performance or effort. They offered very little which destroyed company moral.
No room for advancement and micro management
Electronic Publications Analyst (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALNovember 25, 2012
The project I work on, we get treated like robots and only certain people obtain training to advance their careers. The company would rather lay you off, than find you a position in the company. Leadership is very micro management oriented. We even get emails on how to act when customers come. Health benefits are not in line with others companies in area.

Only positive is that they offer a very flexible work schedule.
Pros
work schedule
Cons
micro management, no advancement
Stay away!
Employee (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAOctober 13, 2014
Recent layoffs and poor management produce a toxic environment. CEO is in way over his head and his henchmen dutifully say yes to everything. Strong cronyism and culture of chauvinism.

My boss ignored me completely after I was hired and was visibly shocked when I dared to express opinions contrary to his and the CEO's. Just branched off from an affiliate office that provided oversight and the ink wasn't even dry on the agreement when the CEO decided he was going to relax the rules (dangerous territory when you are a defense contractor subject to DOD and trade compliance). Parent company is in the UK and sold off the affiliate office that provided guidance and actually did things the right way.

Terminated me because I wasn't a good fit (translation: not a yes man). Best thing they could have ever done for me!
Pros
free ice cream every other friday
Cons
too many to list here
Very relaxed and laid back place to work
VB.NET Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 30, 2014
QinetiQ North America is a great place to work when it comes to work/life. You can leave whenever you need to. Immediate managers are very understanding of life situations. Coworkers are very sharing and supportive of each other. The work is rewarding especially when you go beyond the customers expectation and it shows on there face.
Pros
very flexible
Cons
no raises, no bonuses and not really any acknowledgement from upper management.
Productive Place to Work - Great Management Team
Sr. Systems Specialist (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAJuly 31, 2014
Qinetiq-NA is an excellent place to work. It is very refreshing to have a bunch of like minded team players though out the organization. Coworkers, managers, on up to VP level are all down to earth individuals that are always reachable and transparent when it comes to project goals, deliverables', and promoting a work life balance.
Pros
very little turnover, great education and training opportunities, culture promotes work life balance.
Cons
recent aquisition leaves a lot of redundancies, and not all employees will survive