PUROLATOR INC Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
I really enjoyed my time at Purolator and was sad to have to leave due to my class schedule. Such a fun place to work and a rewarding job!
Vehicle Maintenance/ Sort (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABNovember 25, 2015
Pros: No weekends
Cons: Extreme outdoor temperatures
When I started at Purolator, I applied for a truck parking position. It worked perfectly with my school schedule while still allowing me to have a work/life balance. My trainer was very patient and calm the whole training period. Once I managed to park the trucks in a reasonable time, backing them all inside the building, I began washing them as well. After that I began to show up early on days when my class schedule allowed. Over the summer months I offered to help them sort the afternoon packages and really got to know my coworkers. Virtually everyone was happy and typically positive. After I began to help with PM dock, I was trained to cover for my lead hand while he went on holidays. I was always excited to learn new tasks and help everyone out. The hardest part of my job was the first couple of shifts by myself. I was not a strong parallel-parker in the beginning and was very nervous about the required proximity. They had faith in me, so I had faith in me, which worked! I improved rapidly. The best part of my job was enjoying going to work and feeling appreciated.
Customer Service specialist (Former Employee), Moncton, NB CanadaNovember 3, 2015
It was a friendly place with good people. We spoke to clients about their packages and found solutions. I liked working with the computer system there and found my boss to be a reasonable person.
Enjoyed being around people
Driver (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONOctober 31, 2015
Pros: Clients always happy, good benefits paid breaks, pension, and holidays.
Cons: long hours, Over loadding of parcels, missed place parcels, Had to work through lunch at times.
Purolator was very busy but enjoyable place to work.Co workers were fun to be around.Management support was always there.If we had a problem they would help in resolving it.Not to much paper work as it was all computers at the end.
Constant changes is sales directions
Account Executive (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 6, 2015
Pros: great training, ISO environment
Cons: Head office
Senior management not understanding local economies; Central Canada vs Prairie industry needs. Sales philosophies became too restrictive to allow success for territory reps.
Part Time
Inside Sales (Full-Time) (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioSeptember 30, 2015
Pros: meet alot of athletes
Cons: no room for growth
you get 30% off purchases and meet alot of athletes, but their is no room for growth. Once you work their you might end up there for life.

Great to work as your first job or a part time job
Be your own boss!
Relief Courier (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 30, 2015
Pros: being your own boss
Cons: tough to have a vacation
As an owner operator for Purolator you basically are your own boss.
Set your own pace as long as the job gets done professionally.
Overall a great company.
Unit Manager (Former Employee), London, OntarioAugust 24, 2015
As a national company, Purolator does a tremendous job ensuring they play their part in Canada's social world while maintaining a competitive stance in a very demanding industry. Most terminals that I had the pleasure of visiting were very enthusiastic about the work they performed and were extremely welcoming to everyone who walked through their doors.
Normal Operations
Operations Manager (Current Employee), Sarnia, OntarioAugust 6, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours
Cons: Long hours
A typical day involves payroll, running the operation and quick thinking as always something new happens.

I have learned to work and lead a high performance team in a normal day and those days where everything goes wrong.

I and prioritize my days accordingly and complete all tasks no matter the hours that need to put in.

The best part about my job is the quick thinking and being able to see the things I do and how it effects the whole operation.
Overall a very enjoyable place to work.
SORTER LABOURER (Former Employee), Calgary ABJune 2, 2015
Pros: Union benefits, management always brought in Tim Hortons, and organized pot lucks, or had fruit / veggie platters.
Cons: Childish competition. Uncertain work loads. Niche / Clique groups .
Very time sensitive

Learned WHIMIS / MSDS - dangerous goods handling

How to work with others .

Extremely repetitive

Awesome Management / Recruiting / Accounting team

Hardest part of the job was working with adults who had a very childish point of view, and general lack of respect for other colleagues points of view.

Co-workers seemed to have a very friendly off work relationship with each other.

Very niche, and clique style of work groups.

Graveyard shifts, with varying work loads, hardly consistent except during the holidays.
productive and very efficient workplace
Lead Hand, Shipping (Current Employee), Pickering, ONMarch 29, 2015
An overall great company to work for.. great benefits, employees are likeable and management is awesome. I've had quite an experience so far working at this company.
This was a fun productive company, would definitely return if offered
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 16, 2014
I enjoyed my job at Purolator, cold calling was made fun by competing with your teammates
I really gained a lot of knowledge of the industry, competition and just the reach of logistics and the overall impact on a company's bottom line
My co-workers were always great and ready to help, I dont have many negatives.
management changes affected employee moral somewhat, there was some uncertainty while i was there, seems to have been fixed now.
A strong Canadian presence, will continue to grow overall
Very accommodating Managers
Custumer Service Professional (Former Employee), Moncton, NBOctober 23, 2014
Great company to work at. Lots of advantage to climb the ladder. Co-workers are wonderful people. Wages are exceptional.
Very Productive and Organized Work Environment
RAMP MANAGER (Former Employee), Halifax NSSeptember 25, 2014
Pros: great work exciting day to day.
Cons: hours where very awkward and didnt allow for any downtime in the week, was constantly on work cell phone at home and work.
As Manager of the Air Operations in Halifax a typical day began at 3:00 am in the morning. I would prepare for our inbound aircraft and build a plan depending on the circumstances of the night operations. at 4:30 I would have a meeting with my 20 employees to explain the plan for the morning ops. Any given morning I would have to deal with multiple decisions based on the arrival time of the aircraft. I would Manage all Health and Safety procedures on shift and audit all processes as they are being performed. I would then coordinate the logistics around moving the product from the airport to the sorting locations in Nova Scotia. Once shift is over I would do all administrative tasks including budget reports staffing and planning/development.

Shift would end at 9:am

PM shift will begin at 12pm, we would begin receiving product for the outgoing operations. During this part of the day I would have to plan the load on the aircraft and make arrangements for any extra product. At 5:30 pm I would have a meeting to discuss the pm operations with my evening crew and go over any special requirements. During shift I would audit Health and Safety procedures using management by walking around. I would also audit all work procedures and manage any incoming and outgoing information.
great atmosphere, good people
Human Resources Representative (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 18, 2014
I really enjoyed my experience with Purolator.
Great management teams, good employee morale.
Loved being in a generalist role where I was involved in all apsects of HR and being part of decision making and results.
Nice company to work
Courier Driver (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: day time work. lots of variaty
Cons: didn't have
- 8am-5pm

- learned a lots of greater frederictn

- flexible management

- busy times just before Christmas

- lots of variety at work. not a day is the same
Highly demanding
Unit Manager (Current Employee), NOTL, ONAugust 28, 2014
Room for advancement and provide great training. Need to be self motivated and share best practices.
Transportation/Courier/Freight Industry
Sales Coordinator (Current Employee), Mississauga, OntarioJuly 9, 2014
I've been able to gain knowledge in this industry after 9 years in a supportive role.

Advancement opportunities are few and far.

Good benefits.
Good pay but scaroborough depot has poor management
PM sorter, Receptacle operative specialist (Former Employee), 90 silver star blvdJune 10, 2014
Pros: 45 min break, nice coworkers and great pay
Cons: too much work, management is bad
The pay is amazing and they start at $15/hr and in 2 years it goes up to 23 but the work load and overall stress of the job is not worth the amount of money they pay. They cut back on workers and hours to save money leaving the remaining employees with more work.
fun
RETAIL CENTRE CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONMay 23, 2014
Handle packages up to 70lbs
Assisted in locating packages
Kept count of cash
Great organization to work. Good pay and you meet a lot of people.
Courier (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 30, 2014
Pros: good income, physical work, stress free, meet a lot of people
Cons: most shifts are 10 hour bands which makes it difficult for family life
Being a courier for the last eight years at Purolator, I've met many great customers and colleagues that I've worked with. My typical day involves ensuring that my vehicle is safe to operate before leaving the terminal, prioritizing my delivery and pickup stops, building good relationships with my customers, and ensuring proper unloading of hazardous materials at the end of day.

The management at my terminal is there to support the courier unit. They do an excellent job for the most part. You can always communicate any issues freely with them and they will followup within an acceptable time.

The best part of the job is the customers you meet. You start to develop relationships and be on first name basis with all of them pretty quickly. It's enjoyable for the most part (everybody has bad days) and as long as you are able to prioritize your time, pretty much stress free. You will work hard, but you won't have a lot of...annoyances that some jobs come with.