PURE Canadian Gaming Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
A decent place to work
Games Dealer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 July 2017
Working in the casino industry is difficult because you have to deal with a variety of situations including inebriated customers and hostile people. I prided myself on my ability to mediate when a situation arose requiring a level head.
The people I worked with were fun to be around and the general air of the environment was friendly and open.
The hardest part of the job was the hours, working until three or later in the morning made social life difficult.
Pros
Professional managment
Cons
Late hours
Fun
Bartender/Server/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 April 2017
Great place to work, feel like family since day one...
Lot of place for more opportunities...
Great training available...
Loved the challenge from the poker room and behind the bar during show night.
camaraderie
Card Dealer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 March 2017
its a fun place to work with. the patrons well entertained. i learned a lot from this workplace like how to deal table games. the managers in general are nice and approachable. they are ready to listen and understand the dealers feelings. the hardest part i experienced was absorbing the players' feeling whenever they lose money while playing cards. on the contrary, the most enjoyable part of the job was whenever players are having fun and well entertained by the dealers and when they give tips to the dealers even if they lose the game.
Unobtainable expectations, head in the clouds, unrealistic goals.
Management (Former Employee) –  Alberta7 March 2017
Good luck to anyone wishing for a career with Pute Canadian Gaming. There is absolutely zero balance between home and work. The unwritten expectation (that you can't find in the fine print) is 100%of your life is to the job and to the company.
Cons
Zero home/work balance.
Expected to overwork on almost every shift.
Several (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB6 March 2017
I was employed for many years and appreciated my job for much of the time. It became to corporate, more about what stock holders were making and much less about customer service and the employee( the person who kept patrons coming in). Many benefits of working here were slashed over the years, such as benefits, staffing, flexibility and staff functions. All with little to no communication. I will say the fast paced was nice and I appreciated my coworkers and many customers.
Pros
Coworkers and customers
Cons
Employees are just a number, no appreciation for hard work or hours, Constantly short staffed, Sacrificing your own integrity.
Easy job,friendly environment
Dealer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 October 2016
Dealers have 15 minute breaks every hour. That's the most fun part. I meet different types of people with different personalities. I learned to handle difficult situations.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not much chance for professional growth.
It is fun place to work.
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 September 2016
Most of us especially with those ones we work for long years, we are like family in our workplace. We work with fun.
We get to communicate with our patrons.
Pros
we get 10% off food
Cons
flexible scheduling
security Gaurd
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 June 2016
i really loved working here it was great the people i got to meet the thing i got to learn had a big impact on my life if it wasnt for Pure canadian Gaming i woukld not have the experince i do now
Pros
people
Cons
night shift
Who's training who?
F & B MANAGEMENT (Former Employee) –  EDMONTON27 May 2016
I got in after a second attempt and was actually assigned at a different location. In that location, the person who was supposed to be training me seems to be really good at what he is supposed to do. BUT he simply does not teach you enough for some reasons, and does not seem to be interested in teaching you the important things you need to know about the job, specially the pen pushing matters/paper works. It came to a point when I was supposed to manage a shift by myself and I was simply not ready - I just quit after a few days.
Pros
fast paced work, pay is about average the industry standards
Cons
high turnover for department's management
Good Job, Bad Career
Dealer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 February 2016
I will start by saying, this is representative of the Table Games Department at Casino Edmonton. I have also structured this positives first, negatives after.

Positives

As is true with the casino industry in general the pay, for the work is pretty excellent. You can expect to make 20+/hour, get a 15 minute break every hour and work as much as you like. You trade your evenings and weekends for a pretty decent wage. You also (as frontline staff) have income every 2 days in the form of a tip pool. Also everyone just got a raise that is above dealer, so the money is good.

The holiday flexibility is also pretty wonderful. As of writing this review, the manager who approves vacations is guilty of taking one pretty much monthly. As such he is very liberal with his approvals - I am pretty sure that the total time you take off annually isn't even tracked.

The coworkers are pretty excellent as well. While there is the inevitable cliques, people are generally very respectful and willing to talk (especially if you visit the smokeshack on break). We have home poker games where people will go socialize, there is usually a weekly outing to a bar, or sometimes just a monthly movie outing That being said, every place has their bad apples, just let them be and don't let them bring you down.

Negatives

As is true with customer service in general, you have your difficult customers - and the gaming industry is no different. You are taking peoples money without giving them anything tangible (entertainment) in return so just come to work expecting to deal with miserable people
  more... for the majority of your day and enjoy the ones that are there and having fun.

Training is also very bad. Between their games training, customer service training, etc I have had a different trainer every time, some of which had no idea how to teach a class or just didn't seem comfortable with the material.

Once you get to the floor you will see people doing things differently, from how they deal the games to how discrepancies are handled. You would think consistency would be important in a department that deals with thousands of dollars a day, but it doesn't seem like it is. You also never know how you are doing. Don't expect feedback on anything you do, unless you overpay or something that is very black and white.

Your schedule will pretty much never be consistent, and sometimes come out with only 5-6 days ahead so don't expect to be able to plan anything beyond that. We recently got audited by Labour Standards, and as a result, most people are on 8 hour shifts. This was a godsend as it wasn't irregular for people to be scheduled 6 days a week, for 44 hours.

Management is pretty friendly but ultimately laissez faire. Beyond dealing with the issues that are over and above the pitbosses pay grades, or the counting of the trays, it is rare that you will see them get involved with the growth of the staff or customers. They will harass you to work more shifts though.

Dealing with HR is a horror story. They are rarely accessible to the evening staff, and when you do get a request in, expect it to be ignored until you pester them a few more times. We are always short staffed but they seems more concerned about keeping the turnover rate down then making sure we have enough staff to open the tables we need sans OT.

Job Security is also pretty bad. They seem to fire people every two years with little to no explanation. One of my friends was recently let go (with severance) for no reason - along with ~20 people between the two properties. However, as long as management doesn't know who you are you should be safe.

Summary

If you are looking for a place where you don't have to work very hard, and want to make some really good money doing it, this is it. Just expect crazy hours, and no guidance to how to be better at your job. Time off requests are pretty flexible, and good luck if you need help from HR, or if you tick off the wrong manager.
Pros
Amazing Money for the Work
Cons
Late Night Hours, No Professional Growth, Keep your head down
Slot Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 October 2014
I work Part Time two days a week. Interact with customers, bring out Jackpots & help when they have problems. Get along well with co-workers
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Corporate office has no clue
Previous employee (Former Employee) –  Yellowhead11 August 2014
The expectations from the Corporate office is unrealistic.
They would set the bar, you get close to achieve the goal and the bar is set even higher
You never get a thank you or good job
You are only a number to the Corporate office
All of the great, caring managers that were with the company have all been pushed out.
The Food and Beverage department at Yellowhead is not paying correctly according to the rules of compressed work week.
Productive and Fun Work Environment
Table Games/Poker Dealer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 June 2014
Going into work and swiping yourself in, looking to where you were on the schedule and working what table game rotation given, listened to pre shift meetings, dealing to customers and when not dealing sorting cards/standing and inviting guests, every hour received a 15min break, and at end of night swiped out

Learned to deal cards and many table games along with learning about many peoples lives and cultures

Management would always follow up on all games being dealt and making sure proper procedure was followed along with counting of chips and cash exchanges for chips were watched closely

Co-workers are very friendly and you mostly worked alone unless on roulette or craps. It was like one big happy family and we planned many events outside of work with employees.

Hardest part of the job would be having to deal with angered/drunk guests and upset customers that lost lots of money

Most enjoyable part of the job was if I was in poker you are your own boss and the table you deal on is your entire control along with meeting new people and learning different cultures/backgrounds.
Pros
flexible scheduling, breaks every hour, collect tips, and great work environment and food
Cons
off schedule hours that are far from a normal lifestyle
A dissapointment
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta21 April 2014
I was being trained by a person who was to busy to train and I couldn't understand their language.
Fast paced, highly charged evolving Casino business.
VP Marketing (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 September 2013
Fast paced, highly charged evolving Casino business. Launched a brand new brand - PURE Canadian Gaming!

The team is engerized and dynamic with a passion for the business.
Pros
Launching a new brand