Purdys Chocolatier Employee Reviews

Great place with a lot of people.
General Help (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC30 October 2017
I enjoyed this job. I got to meet a lot of people and work at many different stations of this job. Even though I was new, they gave me many opportunitys to work at different parts of the factory.
Pros
Free chocolate.
Cons
Standing for a long period of time.
Be the right fit
ASSISTANT MANAGER/ CHOCOLATE CONNOISSEUR (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC26 September 2017
Great work environment, fun atmosphere, and very close team. Great job perks (free chocolate), excellent training program, great opportunity for job advancement. Poor holiday hours and "luck of the draw" for management.
Pros
Health Benefits/ Good pay
Cons
poor middle management
Target bases, own cubicle
Call Centre Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chester st Vanvouver22 August 2017
Fun place to work with friendly people
Can pick shift times (allows for flexibility)
A daily dose of chocolate throughout the day
You will call in love with chocolate
Really good management, good atmosphere, slightly repetitive routines
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 July 2017
The management is extremely kind and lighthearted, yet appropriately strict when needed.
The atmosphere is great, fun, and feels like a second home. But sometimes the routines and jobs feel extremely repetitive and boring
Productive and fun workplace
Part Time Employee (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 June 2017
Purdys is a great company to work with and most locations have really great employees working there - I know I have amazing coworkers at my location! If it wasn't for them I wouldn't be able to put up with the manager. They are the reason I want to work there!
Average Retail Pay, Bad hours, and Very Informative Job.
Chocolate Connoisseur (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC14 June 2017
A typical day at work is selling and talking chocolate to customers, making sure the store looks poppin' and sometimes product making/prep. I learned a huge amount about chocolate and retail. The management was usual in a bad mood so that was annoying but I think its because head office had some tough demands without giving the proper tools. My fellow coworkers and the managers personally were great and work was usually fun. The hardest part was customers with rediculous expectations. The best part of the job was working with such a small group of coworkers that you really get to know each other and I think that helps a great amount in problem solving and working.
Pros
free chocolate, fun atmosphere
Cons
management a bit unreasonable sometimes, not enough hours to live on
Productive work environment
Chocolate Connoisseur (Former Employee) –  London, ON10 April 2017
Working for Purdys Chocolatier helped advance my knowledge in different cultures and in different products that are brought in for the chocolate. Purdys Chocolatier only uses the top quality ingredients to make their chocolate, and from this I got to learn what high quality ingredients were and what to look for when purchasing other chocolate. The environment of this job was extremely friendly and going to work everyday there was always something new to learn and to keep you busy.
Pros
Discount on chocolate
6 June 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our culture and work environment.

Fun Workplace
Cashier (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 March 2017
Working at Purdy's was a great job.I enjoyed that job it was really fun. I get to taste new chocolates every day. I get to taste Ice Cream every day new flavors.
6 June 2017

Thank you for the review! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed working at Purdys Chocolatier

Incredible place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON9 March 2017
Working at Purdys not only taught me how to work effectively in a customer service environment but also showed me how important it is to be passionate about your work. The more you give to the job the more it gives back. You learn valuable skills here
6 June 2017

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear that you found our customer service training was beneficial for you.

Great people to work with.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  North York, ON19 February 2017
Customers are one the top priorities of Purdys, but their employees are also right up there. This work place is one of few who have listened to their employees all the way to the CEO. they are involved.
7 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! Our fantastic employees are the main ingredient to Purdys success over the last 110 years.

It's was a great place to work and I learn lots and made good friends.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 January 2017
It was a great place to work it wasn't a jo were someone hovers over you every minute it was just awesome and fun. And the supervisors where nice never gave the workers any problems it was a do what your good at in the warehouse now when can you pick what you wanna do at work isn't that great and just fun?
Pros
Bring your own
Cons
0.5 hours
Love it
Seasonal Group Purchase Program Agent (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 December 2016
I am sad that I am working a seasonal gig. I love my manager and I learned a lot of things here! Like, we also get meals to celebrate good effort and recognition from the manager.
Pros
Cons
Short term seasonal gig
great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 December 2016
It was very hectic but very fun. The coworkers were great and the management was great as well. A very fun work environment, i learned how to work quickly and juggle multiple responsibilities.
Productive and fun
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 October 2016
Great management they listen to everyone of us. There's respect on work place. You can feel security in life and having a good benefits for the whole family.
Pros
30% discount
Cons
Fixed 40hrs weekly
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC2 October 2016
A wide rande of different jobs to handle (restocking, packaging, ice cream scooping, etc). The most challenging thing I remember about working here are just tough customers. However quite generally, I would say working here is fun.
One of the most enjoyable jobs imaginable
Chocolate Connoisseur (Former Employee) –  London, ON31 August 2016
At Purdys Chocolatier, I was a Chocolate Connoisseur. I had previously worked for another Canadian chocolate company and it was fun, but Purdys was so much more than a job. It was a lifestyle. I learned so much about the quality of chocolate and everything to do with how it is made (from bean to belly). I learned how long it takes to grow the cocoa, the 5-6-5 rule for chocolate, which is how many ingredients are in different types of chocolate. Fun fact: most chocolate companies out there are selling you WAX with chocolate mixed in, where as Purdys is REAL chocolate, 5 ingredients in their dark and white chocolates, 6 in their milk chocolate, no additive or preservatives.

I would gladly return to Purdys and work there again any day. Best management team I've ever experienced. One of the best parts about the job were the customers, almost everyone is happy, and if they aren't, you sell them a little bit of happiness.
Pros
Learning about chocolate, free chocolate, happy customers, fantastic coworkers, shifts go by quickly
Cons
To be honest, none. This was one of the most fun and enjoyable jobs ever.
Part time Job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC8 August 2016
I worked for Purdys as a second job I left because I did not need it anymore. It was very enjoyable working there I enjoy working with the public.
Pros
ate alot of chocolate
Cons
ate too much chocolate
Not a great experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 July 2016
EXTREMELY high turn over rate. Many people quit or are fired within 3 months. Managers will pin mistakes over your head and use them against you and leave you blind sided instead of reviewing mistakes with you when they happen. Also, hours promised are not given and asking for more upsets them.
Good coworkers, good pay, fantastic products
Chocolate Connoisseur (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 July 2016
A typical day at my location required you to stand for 4-7 hours alone, and because of my location I didn't have many customers. When customers did come in, the store lit up and they were almost always nice, and fun to talk to when selling products.
Learned a lot about chocolate, and a lot about fun facts that we use to sell the products. Did you know Mayans used cocoa beans as currency?
My very first manager who hired me, was fantastic, she was really nice and very supportive, I was sad when she transferred. My second manager was also nice, she was new so she also made mistakes, wish she realized certain ones though, and my assistant manager, I didn't know her well, so I can't judge her completely, but she was very intimidating and kind of strict when it came to small things. You could kind of tell when she was upset with you even though she didn't show it.
My coworkers were wonderful, they were all nice and funny, we were all girls too so sometimes a bit of gossip would come into play.
There was nothing "hard", a least for my location, it was more trying to find things to do while working a 7 hour shift alone. Because of the small location there wasn't much to do, especially since they took away the wrapping and other things we did in store.
The best things however were definitely my Coworkers, packing boxes and wrapping. Also talking to customers.
Pros
free icecream
Cons
Long shifts alone with no where to sit.
bad management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 May 2016
it is such a small shop and currently there are more than 10 employees working there including three managers... I dont know what the heck my head manager is thinking... only got minimal hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Purdys Chocolatier. Our community is ready to answer.