Public Storage

Public Storage Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Decent place to work but no opportunities for advancement
Property Manager/Office Manager (Current Employee), Tempe, AZFebruary 24, 2015
Public Storage is okay to work at. If you are good at sales tactics then this would be a good job for you however there are ZERO opportunities for advancement. Public Storage does not hire from within. The best you can get to is the district trainer but there is only one per district so the chances of becoming a trainer are very slim. As my own district manager told me, this job is not something you stay in long-term. They really don't expect you to stick around more than a year and not many people do.

You never get to make any decisions whatsoever. Your title may be Property Manager but you can't so much as rearrange the stuff on the counter or the higher-ups will give you a talking to.

You also are required to follow standardized scripts when making calls and dealing with customers in person.

The best part of this job that is most days you get to work alone and nobody looking over your shoulder.

The worst part of this job is that customers will walk all over you and treat you like you are scum. So be prepared to be hated even though you have done nothing wrong.
Great Job but...
Property/Relief Manager (Current Employee), Old Bridge, NJFebruary 21, 2015
Great job but there is no room for advancement. The company doesn't promote to higher levels within the company. Other than this, it's a great job.
Easy job with complicated sales goals
Relief Manager (Former Employee), Concord, CAFebruary 19, 2015
The job itself is not complicated but the goals you have to meet can be more than challenging as they are set extremely high. Most customers are friendly depending on the area you work in but otherwise can be difficult or even abusive. Not a great deal of management support but the team you work with are usually helpful. Lots of physical work cleaning and maintaining units and lots of demands for sales numbers. Most of the time it is not complicated but occasionally problems arise that you will get little upper management support dealing with. If you are capable of handling crises on your own you will flourish in this job.
Out of state workplace from Corporate office located in Glendale,CA
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 12, 2015
Cons: understaffed in work force management department and human resources.
Managed 14-17 agents on a team including attendance, adherence, 4 QA reports monthly, On going sales and customer service training behaviors and skills. Create positive work atmosphere on a daily basis.
Run As Fast As You Can
Property Manager (Current Employee), Los AngelesFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: no late nights
Cons: mind numbing work, no job advancement beyond property manager
Given the relatively low pay, the job description seems reasonable. At hiring, we are required to have a vehicle and car insurance, but this changes into having a personal cell phone. Management feels entitled to call and text you at any time regarding work. I was once even asked to use my cell phone for company business when our telephones were not working.

If I had to do this again - I would not.
Just renting storage
Property Manager (Current Employee), East Hanover, NJFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: great work hours
Cons: under paid
Public Storage is a company that is all business for the customers but does not give the employees the benefit of their work like always the customers are always right.
Productive and Fun at the workplace
Relief Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2015
Cons: no microwave or fridge, unable to bring home lunches
We do the same thing every day so its really simple once you learn everything during training. Follow the scripts and you will succeed
best job ever
Relief Manager (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: the highest salary
Cons: nothing that i can think of...
I love every day at Public Storage. Thank you for the opportunity to reach out to the public who wants to store their goods at a great price!
Driving job
Driver/Operator (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: bonuses twice a year, safety incentive bonuses, also safety awards
Cons: lots of windshield time
A typical 12 hour work day learned my Inspection skills here,also they sent me to school on company time,Hardest part of the job was the heat working on the mill,hot pipe not easy to work around.The most enjoyable part is being recognized as a team,hard work pays off
excellent place to learn about management
Manager (Current Employee), Suitland, MDJanuary 27, 2015
your days are pretty much the same making delinquecy calls, making sure the property is clean and rent/visit ready, you must be able to multi task and finish task within a set time frame. By being Key training professional had to opportunity to train 14 plus employees to prepare the for the field in storage through vidoes and handson training
Working with the public is what made this an interesting job
Relief Manager (Former Employee), Wheeling IlJanuary 23, 2015
I rented storage space for this company-nothing more to review on it.
Busy company that is experiencing the growing pains that comes along with that growth
Construction Manager (Former Employee), Mount Laurel, NJJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: experience, financial stability, pay/benefits
Cons: amount of travel, turnover, workload, stress, negative culture
PS is the largest self storage company in the world with over 2200 facilities within the US alone. I worked as a construction manager for almost 7 years managing over new construction, renovations and acquisitions for much of the Northeast and Mid Atlantic, While the company is financially in good standing and growing, there was an increasing imbalance between work and personal, The amount of projects, the time required to manage and travel, the turnover in the company created a very difficult working environment.
I love my job
Property Manager (Current Employee), saint louisJanuary 19, 2015
I enjoy meeting new tnt's and helping customers as best as i possible can. I enjoy helping tnt find the perfect storage space that fits all of there items
Good management Experience
Relief Manager (Former Employee), Broadview, ILJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: fresh air daily
Cons: heavy work load for little pay
there is alot that you can learn at this job, you ll get plenty of work experience, they will provide housing if availible, you will get alot of face to face interaction with customers, and also will gain alot o customer service experience
fun workplace, gaining skills in office setting, striving to be the best location
Sales Associate/ Store Manager (Former Employee), Roswell, GAJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: always learning new skills in the office setting that are valuable for many jobs
Cons: having to drive to any of the eleven locations
Full time job, Open store which included morning reports of all sales, reservations and others to calculate if the store was over or under sales. Working with Microsoft Office and Excel. Daily emails with other stores to discuss any topics that needed to be discussed. Daily phone calls to customers reminding them of when their payment was due and the delinquent leases. Taking training courses everyday. Checking every unit and cleaning out old ones. Monthly auctions. Amazing coworkers and management. Consulting with new customers about which unit would work best for their storage. Documenting and reporting new and existing leases. Hardest part of the job was handling customers that were very anger about losing their belongings due to no payment.
Very serious sales & Service based company
Property Manager/ K.T.P. (Former Employee), Los Angeles CaliforniaJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: paid time off & bennifits
Cons: you do all the cleaning, maintenance, no security & break-ins
A typical day at work is using 10 sales & service scripts for customer Payments, Reservations, walk-ins, Rental Agreements, Insurance, Locks, Vacates, Merchandise, Welcome Wednesday & L.A.S.T. I learned that the customers are what make the business thrive. Sales get the customers & great customer service keeps the customers. Management is under constant pressure to make sales goals. A constant competition for rankings and to be on top month to month. Nothing was hard about the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting, knowing, helping & keeping hundreds of great customers satisfied daily with excellent customer service
Ehh
Relief Manager (Current Employee), Vancouver, WAJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: only pro to this job was that i get to add management to my resume
Cons: bad pay, days off suck, work all by yourself, rain or shine
You are expected to do so much and meet ridiculous sales quotas without any motivation. Pays barely over minimum wage and this job is a lot more demanding than min. wage. My days off were Tuesdays and Wednesdays, never the weekend. You do not get to work with coworkers, you are always by yourself and constantly have to deal with threatening angry customers.
Great job to show i needed minimal supervision
Relief Manager (Former Employee), castro valley caJanuary 11, 2015
made sure that the customers renting the units at my facility were all safe and that no one could break in and steal their items. also made bank drops from previous days on account of what was sold. sold merchandise to the customers such as boxes tape etc. managed the whole property by myself. i liked that due to the fact that i had minimal supervision.
Lies, many lies
Property Manager (Former Employee), IllinoisJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: apartment
Cons: upper management
I don't agree with their business practices at all. Making us lie to bring in more money is wrong and it's still being done. Storage insurance is a scam. They own the company in which it's being forced down customers throats even when the customers renters/home/car insurance covers their goods. Maybe 25% actually would need it but shouldn't be forced.
Then they say our bonuses aren't based off scamming insurance yet they never could provide proof as it was always listed.
solitary Workplace
Property Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: not micromanaged
Cons: slow work environment
As a property manager with my own property to maintain,a typical day at work includes paperwork, courtesy calls, cleaning and management of building, executing many leases, viewing and showing spaces to new customers. Confirming appointments. Working here i've learned the goal of urgency, the importance of a company's numbers and statistics, and how to sell. I have very few co-workers, only two. Both are extremely professional and I am their supervisor, so the manager of the property, I delegate tasks amongst all three of us. The hardest part of my job is doing auctions every month for delinquent customers. The most enjoyable part is that it is a professional but also laid back environment and I am allotted the trust to run my property as I see fit.

1 2 3 4 5

About Public Storage

Since the beginning, Public Storage has been and remains the self storage industry experts. Our founders, Wayne Hughes and Ken – Read more