Public Outreach Employee Reviews

Merveilleux
Sollicitation en vue de recruter des membres (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Est, QC22 June 2017
Rencontre merveilleuses , des gerants et superviseurs competant et motivants, un travail magnifique a l'exterieur pour ceux qui ne tiennent pas en place !
Pros
Travailler en exterieur et rencontrer des gens
Cons
Travailler en exterieur, mais a -30 degrer l'hiver
Life changing
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 June 2017
Public Outreach was one of the most beneficial job experiences of my life. The training there is thorough and there is an emphasis on acceptance and joy in the workplace.
Pros
work pay and benefits far exceeding other entry level jobs
Cons
can get emotionally draining because of the job's unique qualities
Vibrant and inclusive workplace
Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 June 2017
A really fun place to be at. The people at public outreach are one of the coolest and most open minded people in the city. The staff support system is really effective the feedback from seniors is really effective and efficient. The goals are realistic and achievable so not much pressure.
Good
Canvassar (Former Employee) –  Calgary and Vancouver25 May 2017
Good place to work.
Very welcoming
flexible schedule
good workplace culture, everyones friendly
working at this company was busy you have to keep your numbers up.
Can be cliquey at times and but most there are very inclusive and friendly
Pros
free lunches, awards, bonuses, room for improvement
Worst job ever
Sales Executive for Charity (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON8 May 2017
First the $16 is only existent once you pass their 2 months training which requires a sale quota of 100+ which is incredibly hard when trying to get people to pay monthly for a charity. Your training pay is under $12. Oh if you don't reach your quota, you get fired , and if you do than you have to maintain it, or else you lose your pay and get fired.
Did not enjoy my time there
Fundraising Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 May 2017
There was no support offered for people who were just starting in the face-to-face fundraising job. Training consisted of a 15 minute presentation with many questions left unanswered. Management was not good towards me. I missed a couple weeks of shifts when my father died and was terminated for not meeting the quota. The manager in question said they would set me up with another team to give a shot with different people, but never submitted the referral.
Nice coworkers, not your typical job
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 April 2017
You interact with people as they go about their day's talking about worthy causes and encouraging them to donate. You get to talk to a variety of people but you may not always have good days.
Revolving door job
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2017
I worked here for about 2 months (because I actually brought in some donations) before I was let go, for seemingly no reason.

This job is a lot of standing around in unpleasant weather, having people tell you you're a thief and that you're trying to steal their identities (you ask for their credit cards on the street)

I also worked with about 30 NEW people in those two months - some only stayed on for a week and a half before being fired for "low sales"

Avoid this place, its not worth it
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Everything else
Great experience
Charity Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 March 2017
Even though I found out it was not for me, it was a great experience, managers and co workers are very supportive. However, I did not like the communication, I received a lot of mixed information compared with my results.
Productive and fun work place
Professional Fundraising Coach (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 February 2017
This was one of my most memorable jobs I've had, because the work you are doing is amazing and gives you a sense of purpose when you wake up in the morning. It was also amazing to fund raise for charities that you are personally very invested into. The managers and CEO's of the company were very respectable people who knew how to run a company.
Pros
Great work environment and work/life balance.
Cons
We still worked long hours outdoors even if it was raining or very cold.
Good Experience, but not for me
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 January 2017
Great work environment. Super friendly co-workers. Tough job to excel at. Didn't make it past training week, but had I been able to be an asset for the company I would have continued to work there.
Pros
Great way to work on interpersonal and communication skills
Cons
Dealing with people on the doorstep can really bring you down
Don't work here
Face-To-Face Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 June 2016
terrible management! my first day of training was so disorganized - they didnt have sufficient equipment for the trainees nor did they give us our lunch break - we had to go and ask! there's also no job security and they don't pay you $14/hr until after the training period, and making it past that doesnt usually happen since you have to reach a quota of monthly donations - otherwise they fire you.
Cons
poor management, long hours in the heat, sketchy
Do not work here
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 June 2016
The office is run very poorly; you show up at 9:30am for 30-60 minutes of paid fun and games with the staff and if you are even 30 seconds late for fun and games they use it against you. Within your first 2 days you are expected to meet the same quotas as the people who have been working there for years upon years. You have a typical half-hour lunch break, but then you also have a paid half-hour break later in the afternoon. You then are supposed to finish working at 6, but they let you go around 5:45 and pay you until 6 anyways (why get upset at being a minute late in the morning if they just end up letting you off early?). They will fire you almost immediately if they don't like you personally and they will use the smallest excuses as scapegoats. Once they fire you they will tell you that the office isn't doing very well and they just need to let some of the new people go (when in reality you're the only one), then they will tell you the office has been losing money, but they don't seem to realize how much money they're wasting just with how they run the office.
Don't work here.
Awesome place to work
Doctors Without Borders Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 May 2016
A typical day at work is great, you get to talk to a lot of new people,learn a lot about the world, co-worker are very friendly the best part is that you get to save people and have fun doing it.
Fun workplace
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2016
- fun and interactive workplace
- always kept me thinking and my day was never the same as the other ones
- very non judgmental work environment
- the hardest part of the job was the long hours/walks during the summer days
An amazing learning and networking place to work
Coach Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2016
Goal oriented but motivating team leads and coaches; fantastic pay structure and benefits.
Fun trips and loads of growth opportunities. Flexible full time to part time options.
Poor Company to work for.
Door Team (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 April 2016
The management I found to be very fake. Super goal orientated to get monthly subscriptions for charities. The whole premises generated quick turn around in the workforce, where I worked with over 30-50 People among my shifts, that were almost always new people that just got the job. They constantly tried to use the new energy as a kick board, and then let go off the new employees within the start of their contract. Sad to see it operate. If you want to be employed for 2-6 weeks, go for it.
Pros
Outdoors
Cons
Always outdoors, no matter the weather, still expected to meet quotas
A great place to develop leadership and sales skills
Coach and Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 January 2016
As a fundraiser you will learn to deal with rejection, to sell your ideas well, and quickly, and you will test your emotional, mental endurance.

You won't learn alone! You'll be supported by a caring and passionate group of misfits with a keen desire to improve the world.

In a short period of time, you will be given leadership opportunities - don't miss out!
Pros
Great People, steady income.
Cons
Performance Based.
Fun Group
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 January 2016
Morning meeting, hit the field. Learned a lot about personal values as well as verbal and non-verbal communication skills. Management was really questionable, they were only around half the time and didn't really have helpful answers to questions. Co-workers were un****ing believable people. Hardest part was taking a no. Most enjoyable part was making a stranger smile.
Great seasonal or temporary work.
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2016
Only good for seasonal work, or you have to enjoy it a lot, which is hard to do when you get pushed to sign people up that don't want to sing up.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Public Outreach. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7