Public Outreach Employee Reviews

Really fulfilling, with lots of room for growth
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 October 2017
This is the first time I've ever had a job where my hard work and dedication to the job are recognized and rewarded! As long as you're the kind of person that shows up on time, is reliable for shifts, and puts their whole self into the shift, you are going to go far in the company.

It's also not hard to throw yourself into the job because the work you're doing is crucial for the proper functioning of some high profile, really awesome charities! This isn't to say it's a walk in the park, you need to gain skills and be willing to improve yourself as a fundraiser, but once you start to get good at it, it feels phenomenal.

The workplace culture is pretty cool because for the most part you're working with like-minded people who also want to do some good in the world, and there's a lot of encouragement and pumping up to put you in the right headspace to be able to inspire others to give!

All in all, this job is really fun, pretty flexible, and is invested in helping their employees to grow. Badass company to work for.
Pros
Super fulfilling, opportunities for growth, get to pick your schedule every week
Cons
Need to be able to deal with rejection
Fulfilling job with great culture!
Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 September 2017
I can honestly say that this is a job where I come to work everyday and I don't feel like I am wasting my time.

Fundraising door to door for charity may not be glamorous but the other staff and management make it fun and worthwhile! The people who work here come from different backgrounds and are welcoming and open to everyone.

You get to talk to interesting people everyday, while raising money for worthwhile causes. So, it doesn't get boring.

Also, it's easy to move up in the company if you work hard. It makes you feel like you are valuable, and not just a number to management.

I would recommend this job to anyone, you learn A LOT and you are always contributing to good causes.
Positive, Young Will teach you sale skills.
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 August 2017
Has a lot of great qualities. Daily meetings and pump ups to keep things positive. Meaningful work. Great from breaking out of retail and will teach you skills that can last a life time.

Some of their long term supervisors are filled with drama. One in particular is extremely negative and always gossiping, or even manipulating others to do worse. They have been brought to management attention many times but it's never dealt with.

No job security. If you drop your quota you're out.

They need to catch up in their hourly wage. Out of all hourly wage fundraising group they are the lowest.
Pros
Fun, purpose, good for breaking out of retail.
Cons
Some bad supervisors, stressful
Fun and Exciting
Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 August 2017
I didn't really know what to expect when I walked through the doors but I am glad I did. The environment here is so friendly and diverse. I have met so many people that I can truly call my friends.

Also the pay is awesome! After my two week training I got bumped upto to $14 an hour and after that I got to $16. I have only been at the company for 2 months and I have gone on travel trips and workshops.
Pros
Good Pay
Somewhat poor
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 August 2017
Almost no training and no paid training, the hours are very unstructured and the pay is minimal for the tediousness of the job. Management seems unstructured.
awesome
charitable fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 July 2017
working here helped me realise how much i valued helping others, it tested my limits, made me keep my eyes on the target, being the cause irrespective of the weather conditions
Pros
satisfaction helping others
Cons
working all weather even when its cold, street teams had to be outside
Fun and supportive workplace
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 July 2017
HR department was great, work environment was very supportive and it's easy to get along with your coworkers. Learned a lot of important and useful skills. Hardest part was commuting as the location changed every day for fundraising but it was extremely rewarding.
Pros
Rewarding, wages were great
Cons
Unpredictable commutes
good for driven people
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 July 2017
Good job for young people looking to break out of their shell. Good experience coming out of school, or a summer job. fast paced, with a required amount of acquisitions- may be hard to obtain.
Merveilleux
Sollicitation en vue de recruter des membres (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Est, QC22 June 2017
Rencontre merveilleuses , des gerants et superviseurs competant et motivants, un travail magnifique a l'exterieur pour ceux qui ne tiennent pas en place !
Pros
Travailler en exterieur et rencontrer des gens
Cons
Travailler en exterieur, mais a -30 degrer l'hiver
Life changing
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 June 2017
Public Outreach was one of the most beneficial job experiences of my life. The training there is thorough and there is an emphasis on acceptance and joy in the workplace.
Pros
work pay and benefits far exceeding other entry level jobs
Cons
can get emotionally draining because of the job's unique qualities

Want to know more about Public Outreach?

Ask a question
Vibrant and inclusive workplace
Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 June 2017
A really fun place to be at. The people at public outreach are one of the coolest and most open minded people in the city. The staff support system is really effective the feedback from seniors is really effective and efficient. The goals are realistic and achievable so not much pressure.
Fun people to work with but no job security
Community Fundraiser (street team) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 May 2017
This job is a community fundraising job which requires you to stand on the street, go door to door, or call around and ask people for donations. There is a minimum amount of donations you must achieve weekly and if you fail to do so, you will lose your job. If you are great with people and don't mind being on your feet all day, then you would enjoy working where I did. I worked on the "street team" where I stopped those walking by on the street and asked them to donate to several agencies or organizations. What they do there is really great and they help a lot of people, the environment is very easy going and everyone there is friendly, no matter what position they are in, all the way up to the CEO of the company. However, like I said, you can essentially lose your job every week. But if that doesn't bother you, or you are a student who just needs to get by in the summer, it is actually perfect for you! Fun times were had while standing on street corners, asking people for donations and doing our "raps." You need to research the organizations you are striving to get donations for and you must be able to answer questions quickly, on the spot, about each organization. Then you need to put a spiel together to give the person information about the organization, what they would be donating to, and ask them to donate. It is not commission work though, you do get paid by the hour and it is usually a bit more than minimum wage so it is perfect for a student or for younger people.
Pros
Fun environment, ability to advance
Cons
working in bad weather outside, no job security
Good
Canvassar (Former Employee) –  Calgary and Vancouver25 May 2017
Good place to work.
Very welcoming
flexible schedule
good workplace culture, everyones friendly
working at this company was busy you have to keep your numbers up.
Can be cliquey at times and but most there are very inclusive and friendly
Pros
free lunches, awards, bonuses, room for improvement
Worst job ever
Sales Executive for Charity (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON8 May 2017
First the $16 is only existent once you pass their 2 months training which requires a sale quota of 100+ which is incredibly hard when trying to get people to pay monthly for a charity. Your training pay is under $12. Oh if you don't reach your quota, you get fired , and if you do than you have to maintain it, or else you lose your pay and get fired.
Did not enjoy my time there
Fundraising Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 May 2017
There was no support offered for people who were just starting in the face-to-face fundraising job. Training consisted of a 15 minute presentation with many questions left unanswered. Management was not good towards me. I missed a couple weeks of shifts when my father died and was terminated for not meeting the quota. The manager in question said they would set me up with another team to give a shot with different people, but never submitted the referral.
Nice coworkers, not your typical job
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 April 2017
You interact with people as they go about their day's talking about worthy causes and encouraging them to donate. You get to talk to a variety of people but you may not always have good days.
Revolving door job
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2017
I worked here for about 2 months (because I actually brought in some donations) before I was let go, for seemingly no reason.

This job is a lot of standing around in unpleasant weather, having people tell you you're a thief and that you're trying to steal their identities (you ask for their credit cards on the street)

I also worked with about 30 NEW people in those two months - some only stayed on for a week and a half before being fired for "low sales"

Avoid this place, its not worth it
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Everything else
Great experience
Charity Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 March 2017
Even though I found out it was not for me, it was a great experience, managers and co workers are very supportive. However, I did not like the communication, I received a lot of mixed information compared with my results.
Productive and fun work place
Professional Fundraising Coach (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 February 2017
This was one of my most memorable jobs I've had, because the work you are doing is amazing and gives you a sense of purpose when you wake up in the morning. It was also amazing to fund raise for charities that you are personally very invested into. The managers and CEO's of the company were very respectable people who knew how to run a company.
Pros
Great work environment and work/life balance.
Cons
We still worked long hours outdoors even if it was raining or very cold.
Good Experience, but not for me
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 January 2017
Great work environment. Super friendly co-workers. Tough job to excel at. Didn't make it past training week, but had I been able to be an asset for the company I would have continued to work there.
Pros
Great way to work on interpersonal and communication skills
Cons
Dealing with people on the doorstep can really bring you down

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Public Outreach. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9