Public Outreach

Public Outreach Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Working in a new field
Fundraising Coordinator (Promoted) (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 16, 2014
Pros: flexibility in working hours
Cons: payrate capped
Working at PO was a great experience. It was challenging in the sense that I had to learn a new system without much training also being in a new industry. Non profit sector.
Working autonomously allowed me to motivate myself. Being of service to my team was pleasant; the young people were inspired by life overall.
Fun, fast-paced workplace with personal growth opportunities
Professional Fundraiser (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 1, 2014
Pros: learning about charities, having great conversations with people, great team environment, good support from management, working outdoors, personal growth from challenges, being part of making a tangible difference
Cons: occasional harsh weather, difficult to consistently meet high performance quotas
A typical day of work consisted of meeting team on-location, setting up booth, standing long hours, approaching people walking by to chat, engaging people in conversations about world issues, inspiring people to make a positive impact on these issues, facilitating donations both electronically and on paper and ensuring the charity was being represented – more... accurately and ethically by myself and co-workers.

Throughout eleven months of working with Public Outreach I learned about current issues around the world concerning gender equality, micro-finance loans, community development, the cycle of poverty, animal abuses and global animal protection laws, refugee camps, emergency medical care in volatile areas, human rights issues, emergency relief, advocacy and lobbying. I also learned a lot about how to personally relate to people from many demographics and how to successfully build rapport tailored to an individual.

I felt thoroughly supported as an individual and as a teammate by my three managers over the course of working at Public Outreach. They were able to effectively balance a professional and personal relationship with me, invest time and resources in my professional and personal growth, and gave me helpful constructive criticism in areas needing improvement.

I looked forward to coming to work every day because I had the privilege to work alongside passionate people who cared deeply about creating positive change around the world. I learned to work and cooperate with people who I would not normally interact with and found common ground with each co-worker.

The hardest part of the job was maintaining high performance and consistently meeting quotas for donations every day. The job could be mentally and physically draining at times and it could be difficult to consistently maintain enthusiasm and high performance despite occasional harsh weather conditions.

Overall, working at Public Outreach challenged and stretched me into a stronger, tougher person. I developed strong interpersonal skills and a stronger, more realistic world-view. I loved meeting so many new people and connecting with individuals on a meaningful level. I thoroughly appreciated facilitating positive change globally as well as in the lives of the people that I talked with. Working in a community of caring employees and a generous city made me appreciate the power of the individual and of community. Going forward, I will take the skills and lessons that I learned with Public Outreach in my professional and personal life. – less
Great Workplace
Administration: Phone Fundraiser (Former Employee), toronto ontarioJune 10, 2014
love it and the staff amazing people cool work environment a place where one can grow
fun place to work, nurturing environment despite pressure to meet targets
Supervising Fundraiser (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 8, 2014
Pros: working outdoors, flexible schedule
Cons: bad weather, unpleasant people
a typical day at work involves standing on downtown Toronto streets, stopping strangers and convincing them to sign up to sponsor a child for around $40 a month. THey have to give us their credit card or bank information, so you need strong communication and rapport-building skills to do this job well. As a supervisor I'm responsible for making the – more... day go smoothly, hitting target and bringing expensive equipment back to the office every day. The hardest part of the job is staying positive and detached. The most enjoyable parts are working outside during the summer and the interesting conversations I have. – less
Fun place with great staff
Fundraiser (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 20, 2013
I learned a lot about public relations and how to interact with different people.
Great experience
Associate Fund Raiser (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONDecember 11, 2013
Pros: collegues, ethic, opportunities for development
Cons: late working hours, high employee turnover, weather exposure
Fundraising door to door projects with an exciting, diverse and professional team. Public outreach is committed to its goals of honest, respectful and effective service. This is a great place to work to develop skills in the non profit industry, customer relations and networking. Teams are well managed and committed and innovative employees are rewarded – more... well with responsibilities and competitive pay rates. – less
Good people, Frustrating job.
Fundraiser (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 4, 2013
Pros: co-workers are like family, relaxed atmosphere
Cons: long hours, minimum pac goals, not run for the charities.
The job atmosphere was refreshing. The management and co-workers all were very energetic and friendly. The pay is decent if you can maintain and achieve your daily goals, which is perfect for a student. But this company has by far the highest turnover rate that I've ever seen, people usually come and go within a week. It can be challenging to overcome – more... consistent rejection, as well as the long hours outdoors on your feet in rain/snow/shine, but at the end of the day you are helping to contribute towards a good cause. Although the company is dealing with charities, I felt that it was difficult to get people to agree to contribute on a monthly basis, which is the main focal point of Public Outreach. The job isn't meant for everybody, but I would go back again just because of the impact that you can have on the world, and the fact that your team is like a family. – less
Not impressed
Never got to a get a job title (Former Employee), CambridgeDecember 2, 2013
Have applied for a job here TWICE and gotten e-mails/calls about being contacted for an interview.

This place is totally unorganized and after reading other reviews from people who actually worked for this company I am glad I never wasted my time here.
Caution
Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 19, 2013
Cons: management, business model, ineffective staff training
Very disorganized, unprofessional workplace. Good for someone very young or inexperienced in the workplace or someone who can't get a real job. There are other face-to-face companies that pay better and treat their staff better. If you really want to make a difference go work directly for the charity.
An irrational and hostile work place
Personal Fundraising Coordinator (Former Employee), TorontoOctober 9, 2013
Cons: discouraged employee creativity, threatened one's job position, employees expected to bring in a set amount of sponsors per day
Salary was based on commission and if you did not meet the daily commission requirement, they would threaten your job security.
Bleh.
Ex Fundraiser (Former Employee), VancouverSeptember 29, 2013
Pros: the money i guess
Cons: everything else.
This job would be perfect for someone who has nothing else on the side.. even if I did had kept this job, I would have only stayed until the time I start University.
There is no prep for before you go door-to-door canvassing..
*** Even though it isnt commision based.. it feels commision based since you are pressured to get a number of people to sign – more... up MONTHLY everyday.
( And they expect this from you from even your fist day of working btw )

So the reason why I was interested in this job is because of course you get to work with and represent different organizations.. but the whole essence of that wasnt there.. it felt like straight business and I literally had a co-worker say.. - 'its really just a numbers game'
That upset me and Im glad I dont work there anymore :) – less
Rewarding job
Fundraising Canvasser (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 17, 2013
Pros: incentives
Cons: long days
Hard days work, mentally exhausting yet extremely rewarding, amazing coworkers and support team
Great Job
Excellent Training
Great Brand
Exciting and Unexpected Working Days
fundraiser (Former Employee), torontoJune 18, 2013
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: long commute
Working as a street fundraiser on the streets of downtown Toronto for some of the best and most popular NGO's. Amazing group of people to work with that are caring and compassionate. It was always a pleasure to go into work each morning but the work it TOUGH!! It can be mentally draining trying to get the attention of passing-by people so you have to – more... have some thick skin to take rejection – less
Productive workplace where you make a difference
Mall Canvasser (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 28, 2013
Pros: awesome co-workers
Cons: coommute can be a bit of a hassle
The job is fun and exciting on good days, you talk to people all day, but on days when you are not feeling well it can be very emotionally and mentally draining, you need to invent your way of staying motivated. I learned to be a lot more outgoing and talk to any kind of person. Management is so wonderful and the pay is amazing. Overall really great – more... job. – less
just not the job for me
Fundraiser (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 16, 2013
just not the job for me.

don't like jobs that push on making a sale. if we dont meet the desired number of people canvassed then we don't get anything.
Develop your professional skills and constantly open doors for advancement
Marketing/Communications Coordinator (Current Employee), Toronto, OntarioApril 26, 2013
Pros: free drinks and snacks, work/life balance, advancement opportunites, work culture
Public Outreach is one of the few fundraising organizations that follows an ethical standard. All fundraisers are paid hourly (more than minimum wage, even for the training period) and are supported by an amazing team throughout their whole work experience. Fundraisers are meant to engage members of the public in a meaningful way so that individuals – more... are giving based on what we've taught them about our charity partner(s).

The culture of the company really sets it apart from many other entry-level jobs. Every one of your colleagues is there to make life easy and better yet, so many friendships are born because of this job. We all care about the same issues and although we have different personalities, with different likes and interests, we're all passionate about non-profits and charities. better yet, there's access to health care, scholarships, the ability to travel across the country and really grow as an employee!

For anyone looking to really get their feet wet in the non-profit industry, this is that way to go! You automatically get access to the issues organizations face and how they plan to tackle them. On top of that, we have amazing relationships with some of the biggest local, national and international charities!

But, I left my favorite part for last! I think the best part about Public Outreach is the constant encouragement to pursue your own dreams. It doesn't matter if you're focused on school or some entrepreneurial endeavour, the company really cares about your succeeding and finding a solid work life balance.

Just see for yourself! – less
The best job I've ever had
Team Leader, National Recruitment (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 19, 2013
Pros: amazing working culture!
A typical day at work consists of working in a exciting and charismatic team of individuals, raising money for charity.

I've learned how to communicate with a variety of different personality types, be my best self, and use these skills in all aspects of my life.

Management is supportive and encouraging of creativity

Co-workers become friends quickly

The – more... hardest part of the job is adapting to new conversations and personalities constantly!

The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you're working for some of the world's most influential non-profit charities! – less
Really fun challenging work for people who want to help!
Fundraiser, Recruiter, Support Coordinator. (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 18, 2013
Pros: exciting, challenging, fun, outdoors, positive work
Public Outreach is a wonderful environment to work in. With loving, friendly, up-beat coworkers and managers, it makes it really easy to get up in the morning and go in to work! Not to mention feeling great about the work you're doing, and the thousands of families you're helping worldwide by doing it.
Public Outreach pays their employees hourly. This – more... wage is generous for an entry level position with no experience. Therefor, quotas need to be met or a lot of money is lost paying an employee to stand outside.
If you speak of "quotas" as a bad thing, and something that should be a deterrent from accepting a job offer, you are sorely mistaken. Without quotas, where would any company be? If you are unable to do the job, then you will lose your job. It is the same with any other position - If you work in a kitchen, but are unable to handle the stress and fast paced environment of a kitchen, then being a chef may not be the job for you.
Quotas are the alternative to paying an employee with commissions.
And I think we can all agree that being paid with commissions (especially if you're unable to get donations) is much worse than hitting quotas.
Overall, Public Outreach has been my most enjoyable job. If you're looking for challenging work that is also extremely fulfilling and fun at the same time, Public Outreach is the place for you. – less
Take it if you're desperate
Campaign Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 17, 2013
Pros: pays more than most jobs requiring no experience
Cons: very difficult work, no job security
Very difficult job with little to no job security.

Pays better than most jobs which require no experience though.

About Public Outreach

We focus on finding the right donors for your organization, who will stay with you for the long term. Our programs are designed – Read more