Public Outreach Employee Reviews

A great place to develop leadership and sales skills
Coach and Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 18, 2016
As a fundraiser you will learn to deal with rejection, to sell your ideas well, and quickly, and you will test your emotional, mental endurance.

You won't learn alone! You'll be supported by a caring and passionate group of misfits with a keen desire to improve the world.

In a short period of time, you will be given leadership opportunities - don't miss out!
Pros
Great People, steady income.
Cons
Performance Based.
Do not work here
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 20, 2016
The office is run very poorly; you show up at 9:30am for 30-60 minutes of paid fun and games with the staff and if you are even 30 seconds late for fun and games they use it against you. Within your first 2 days you are expected to meet the same quotas as the people who have been working there for years upon years. You have a typical half-hour lunch break, but then you also have a paid half-hour break later in the afternoon. You then are supposed to finish working at 6, but they let you go around 5:45 and pay you until 6 anyways (why get upset at being a minute late in the morning if they just end up letting you off early?). They will fire you almost immediately if they don't like you personally and they will use the smallest excuses as scapegoats. Once they fire you they will tell you that the office isn't doing very well and they just need to let some of the new people go (when in reality you're the only one), then they will tell you the office has been losing money, but they don't seem to realize how much money they're wasting just with how they run the office.
Don't work here.
High energy and self motivation
Professional Fundraiser and Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 1, 2015
Very demanding job when it comes to results. Every day motivating yourself and others to continue to make the most out of every conversation. Fun place to work and great team atmosphere, however having a numbers based job can become stressful without the right support. When there is a strong leader, there is lots of learning.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Evening shifts
Friendly, hard-working work environment.
Professional Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 27, 2015
This was the most rewarding job I have ever had by far. I woke up every morning enjoying myself and what I did.

The job was straightforward. We would go out onto street corners, tell people about the charity we were representing, and get them to sign up for it.

There was a lot of at-home/non-paid hours that went into the job as well. I had to do a lot of research not just on the charity but on what they were trying to accomplish and the way they were going about it. For example, it wasn't enough to know about water treatment, I had to know how different regions dealt with water treatment and what was effective and what was not.

I also got the chance to lead morning briefings which meant research into fundraising and sales techniques that work or don't work. What to use and what to avoid.

The added research made the job a bit longer some days, but the pay was great and they made it a relaxed environment.

Also, and this was the best part, there would be mentoring sessions about once every couple of weeks where I would get the benefit of the experience from my supervisors.

The one drawback was that it was a very results oriented environment that could get a little frustrating at times. You needed to raise a certain amount of money for the charity and if you had too long of a dry-spell, you would be fired.

Still, the best job I have ever had.
Pros
great mentoring. Wonderful work environment
Cons
Lots of after hours work.
Don't work here
Face-To-Face Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 30, 2016
terrible management! my first day of training was so disorganized - they didnt have sufficient equipment for the trainees nor did they give us our lunch break - we had to go and ask! there's also no job security and they don't pay you $14/hr until after the training period, and making it past that doesnt usually happen since you have to reach a quota of monthly donations - otherwise they fire you.
Cons
poor management, long hours in the heat, sketchy
Poor Company to work for.
Door Team (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 10, 2016
The management I found to be very fake. Super goal orientated to get monthly subscriptions for charities. The whole premises generated quick turn around in the workforce, where I worked with over 30-50 People among my shifts, that were almost always new people that just got the job. They constantly tried to use the new energy as a kick board, and then let go off the new employees within the start of their contract. Sad to see it operate. If you want to be employed for 2-6 weeks, go for it.
Pros
Outdoors
Cons
Always outdoors, no matter the weather, still expected to meet quotas
Avoid
sponsor (Former Employee) –  halifaxJanuary 4, 2015
First off - This jobs is posted at a salary of $13/hr. You actually start off at minimum wage for the first two weeks of training and ONLY IF you get kept on (which is based on if you made enough 'sales') THEN you go up to $13/hr. So they lie about that. The Halifax office location looks like a clubhouse for college drop out. Not very professional. The location is dirty, unorganized. The managers and supervisors appearance is sloppy at best. The work is dull and meaningless, though they try to get you 'pumped up' every morning by sitting in a circle and having you share stories about your life and how you are going to 'get someone to make a sponsor'. This is a for-profit company who works for non-profits (as a fee). VERY NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE. 8 hours per day of getting in people's faces trying to get them to donate money to a cause you have about ten seconds to convince them to donate to.
Pros
some of the proceeds go to the sponsor
Cons
false advertising and not seemingly very legitimate
Awesome place to work
Doctors Without Borders Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 19, 2016
A typical day at work is great, you get to talk to a lot of new people,learn a lot about the world, co-worker are very friendly the best part is that you get to save people and have fun doing it.
An amazing learning and networking place to work
Coach Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 26, 2016
Goal oriented but motivating team leads and coaches; fantastic pay structure and benefits.
Fun trips and loads of growth opportunities. Flexible full time to part time options.
Fun Group
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 13, 2016
Morning meeting, hit the field. Learned a lot about personal values as well as verbal and non-verbal communication skills. Management was really questionable, they were only around half the time and didn't really have helpful answers to questions. Co-workers were un****ing believable people. Hardest part was taking a no. Most enjoyable part was making a stranger smile.
Great place to learn
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  CanadaMay 26, 2015
-positive, friendly, passionate coworkers
-lots of room to grow
-flexible
-standard benefits package
-good place to expand your communication skills
Exciting and Unexpected Working Days
fundraiser (Former Employee) –  torontoJune 18, 2013
Working as a street fundraiser on the streets of downtown Toronto for some of the best and most popular NGO's. Amazing group of people to work with that are caring and compassionate. It was always a pleasure to go into work each morning but the work it TOUGH!! It can be mentally draining trying to get the attention of passing-by people so you have to have some thick skin to take rejection
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
long commute
Meaningful work, great employer
fundraiser/manager/ administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Vancouver, CalgaryDecember 27, 2012
I worked for Public Outreach for a few years in various roles (fundraiser, manager, team leader, etc).

Had a great experience and I definitely recommend fundraising roles to my friends and individuals looking to start their career even if it is not in non-profits.
An irrational and hostile work place
Personal Fundraising Coordinator (Former Employee) –  TorontoOctober 9, 2013
Salary was based on commission and if you did not meet the daily commission requirement, they would threaten your job security.
Cons
discouraged employee creativity, threatened one's job position, employees expected to bring in a set amount of sponsors per day
Fun and people oriented environment
Fundraising Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton locationJuly 14, 2015
Great way to fulfill the inner most need to contribute to the over health and wealth of life. This environment was mostly with young people (in their 20's) and to take care of the logistics for them so they can go out and create change, felt like the puzzle is complete. Everyone had their part to play and there was a lot of vitality in the workplace.
Incredibly transparent as well, seeing young Managers start out and blossom into leaders that are not only competitive but stand out and become the exception to excel in their position.

HR is always supportive and leave you feeling good about anything that's required. Great company to work for.
Pros
Flexible in position
Cons
Sometimes short on materials due to miscommunication
Great seasonal or temporary work.
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 10, 2016
Only good for seasonal work, or you have to enjoy it a lot, which is hard to do when you get pushed to sign people up that don't want to sing up.
Develop your professional skills and constantly open doors for advancement
Marketing/Communications Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioApril 26, 2013
Public Outreach is one of the few fundraising organizations that follows an ethical standard. All fundraisers are paid hourly (more than minimum wage, even for the training period) and are supported by an amazing team throughout their whole work experience. Fundraisers are meant to engage members of the public in a meaningful way so that individuals are giving based on what we've taught them about our charity partner(s).

The culture of the company really sets it apart from many other entry-level jobs. Every one of your colleagues is there to make life easy and better yet, so many friendships are born because of this job. We all care about the same issues and although we have different personalities, with different likes and interests, we're all passionate about non-profits and charities. better yet, there's access to health care, scholarships, the ability to travel across the country and really grow as an employee!

For anyone looking to really get their feet wet in the non-profit industry, this is that way to go! You automatically get access to the issues organizations face and how they plan to tackle them. On top of that, we have amazing relationships with some of the biggest local, national and international charities!

But, I left my favorite part for last! I think the best part about Public Outreach is the constant encouragement to pursue your own dreams. It doesn't matter if you're focused on school or some entrepreneurial endeavour, the company really cares about your succeeding and finding a solid work life balance.

Just see for yourself!
Pros
free drinks and snacks, work/life balance, advancement opportunites, work culture
Good people, Frustrating job.
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONDecember 4, 2013
The job atmosphere was refreshing. The management and co-workers all were very energetic and friendly. The pay is decent if you can maintain and achieve your daily goals, which is perfect for a student. But this company has by far the highest turnover rate that I've ever seen, people usually come and go within a week. It can be challenging to overcome consistent rejection, as well as the long hours outdoors on your feet in rain/snow/shine, but at the end of the day you are helping to contribute towards a good cause. Although the company is dealing with charities, I felt that it was difficult to get people to agree to contribute on a monthly basis, which is the main focal point of Public Outreach. The job isn't meant for everybody, but I would go back again just because of the impact that you can have on the world, and the fact that your team is like a family.
Pros
co-workers are like family, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
long hours, minimum pac goals, not run for the charities.
Amazing co-workers
Professional Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 26, 2015
Very fun and laid back job. You meet amazing people and have interesting conversations with them. It is a hard sales job to convince people to sign up for monthly donations to charities but there are always people out there who care and want to be a part of it. You are merely giving them the opportunity to contribute.
The best job I've ever had
Team Leader, National Recruitment (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 19, 2013
A typical day at work consists of working in a exciting and charismatic team of individuals, raising money for charity.

I've learned how to communicate with a variety of different personality types, be my best self, and use these skills in all aspects of my life.

Management is supportive and encouraging of creativity

Co-workers become friends quickly

The hardest part of the job is adapting to new conversations and personalities constantly!

The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you're working for some of the world's most influential non-profit charities!
Pros
amazing working culture!

2.6