Public Outreach Employee Reviews in Canada

Awesome place to work
Doctors Without Borders Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 19, 2016
A typical day at work is great, you get to talk to a lot of new people,learn a lot about the world, co-worker are very friendly the best part is that you get to save people and have fun doing it.
An amazing learning and networking place to work
Coach Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 26, 2016
Goal oriented but motivating team leads and coaches; fantastic pay structure and benefits.
Fun trips and loads of growth opportunities. Flexible full time to part time options.
Poor Company to work for.
Door Team (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 10, 2016
The management I found to be very fake. Super goal orientated to get monthly subscriptions for charities. The whole premises generated quick turn around in the workforce, where I worked with over 30-50 People among my shifts, that were almost always new people that just got the job. They constantly tried to use the new energy as a kick board, and then let go off the new employees within the start of their contract. Sad to see it operate. If you want to be employed for 2-6 weeks, go for it.
Pros
Outdoors
Cons
Always outdoors, no matter the weather, still expected to meet quotas
A great place to develop leadership and sales skills
Coach and Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 18, 2016
As a fundraiser you will learn to deal with rejection, to sell your ideas well, and quickly, and you will test your emotional, mental endurance.

You won't learn alone! You'll be supported by a caring and passionate group of misfits with a keen desire to improve the world.

In a short period of time, you will be given leadership opportunities - don't miss out!
Pros
Great People, steady income.
Cons
Performance Based.
Fun Group
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 13, 2016
Morning meeting, hit the field. Learned a lot about personal values as well as verbal and non-verbal communication skills. Management was really questionable, they were only around half the time and didn't really have helpful answers to questions. Co-workers were un****ing believable people. Hardest part was taking a no. Most enjoyable part was making a stranger smile.
Great seasonal or temporary work.
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 10, 2016
Only good for seasonal work, or you have to enjoy it a lot, which is hard to do when you get pushed to sign people up that don't want to sing up.
Friendly, hard-working work environment.
Professional Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 27, 2015
This was the most rewarding job I have ever had by far. I woke up every morning enjoying myself and what I did.

The job was straightforward. We would go out onto street corners, tell people about the charity we were representing, and get them to sign up for it.

There was a lot of at-home/non-paid hours that went into the job as well. I had to do a lot of research not just on the charity but on what they were trying to accomplish and the way they were going about it. For example, it wasn't enough to know about water treatment, I had to know how different regions dealt with water treatment and what was effective and what was not.

I also got the chance to lead morning briefings which meant research into fundraising and sales techniques that work or don't work. What to use and what to avoid.

The added research made the job a bit longer some days, but the pay was great and they made it a relaxed environment.

Also, and this was the best part, there would be mentoring sessions about once every couple of weeks where I would get the benefit of the experience from my supervisors.

The one drawback was that it was a very results oriented environment that could get a little frustrating at times. You needed to raise a certain amount of money for the charity and if you had too long of a dry-spell, you would be fired.

Still, the best job I have ever had.
Pros
great mentoring. Wonderful work environment
Cons
Lots of after hours work.
High energy and self motivation
Professional Fundraiser and Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 1, 2015
Very demanding job when it comes to results. Every day motivating yourself and others to continue to make the most out of every conversation. Fun place to work and great team atmosphere, however having a numbers based job can become stressful without the right support. When there is a strong leader, there is lots of learning.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Evening shifts
Amazing co-workers
Professional Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 26, 2015
Very fun and laid back job. You meet amazing people and have interesting conversations with them. It is a hard sales job to convince people to sign up for monthly donations to charities but there are always people out there who care and want to be a part of it. You are merely giving them the opportunity to contribute.
work enviorment
Sales Rep. /Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 5, 2015
With face to face interaction with clients on a daily basis, kept ones day always interesting and full of surprises as one meets many people from different walks of life.
Fun Company, nice people, Stressful environment very concentrated on sales
Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 16, 2015
a typical day at work involved moving between areas to try and gain sales or 'pacs'
learnt how to approach people and how to have confidence engaging people in the street
co-workers were friendly enough
hardest part of the job is not stumbling your words when trying to engage a potential sale
talking to different people is the most enjoyable part
Fun and people oriented environment
Fundraising Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton locationJuly 14, 2015
Great way to fulfill the inner most need to contribute to the over health and wealth of life. This environment was mostly with young people (in their 20's) and to take care of the logistics for them so they can go out and create change, felt like the puzzle is complete. Everyone had their part to play and there was a lot of vitality in the workplace.
Incredibly transparent as well, seeing young Managers start out and blossom into leaders that are not only competitive but stand out and become the exception to excel in their position.

HR is always supportive and leave you feeling good about anything that's required. Great company to work for.
Pros
Flexible in position
Cons
Sometimes short on materials due to miscommunication
Great place to learn
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  CanadaMay 26, 2015
-positive, friendly, passionate coworkers
-lots of room to grow
-flexible
-standard benefits package
-good place to expand your communication skills
Fun workplace with a great learning environment
Door-to-door fundraiser/supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 6, 2015
A typical day began with a meeting and skills workshop and ended with a few hours of walking the streets, knocking on doors and signing up monthly donors. I learned how to communicate very effectively and how to handle success and rejection well. It was a fun environment and filled with very supportive people.
Avoid
sponsor (Former Employee) –  halifaxJanuary 4, 2015
First off - This jobs is posted at a salary of $13/hr. You actually start off at minimum wage for the first two weeks of training and ONLY IF you get kept on (which is based on if you made enough 'sales') THEN you go up to $13/hr. So they lie about that. The Halifax office location looks like a clubhouse for college drop out. Not very professional. The location is dirty, unorganized. The managers and supervisors appearance is sloppy at best. The work is dull and meaningless, though they try to get you 'pumped up' every morning by sitting in a circle and having you share stories about your life and how you are going to 'get someone to make a sponsor'. This is a for-profit company who works for non-profits (as a fee). VERY NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE. 8 hours per day of getting in people's faces trying to get them to donate money to a cause you have about ten seconds to convince them to donate to.
Pros
some of the proceeds go to the sponsor
Cons
false advertising and not seemingly very legitimate
Humanist
Représentant promotionnel (Former Employee) –  QuebecNovember 18, 2014
Ask people for donation in the name of an organism with no profit.
Working in a new field
Fundraising Coordinator (Promoted) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 16, 2014
Working at PO was a great experience. It was challenging in the sense that I had to learn a new system without much training also being in a new industry. Non profit sector.
Working autonomously allowed me to motivate myself. Being of service to my team was pleasant; the young people were inspired by life overall.
Pros
flexibility in working hours
Cons
payrate capped
Fun, fast-paced workplace with personal growth opportunities
Professional Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 1, 2014
A typical day of work consisted of meeting team on-location, setting up booth, standing long hours, approaching people walking by to chat, engaging people in conversations about world issues, inspiring people to make a positive impact on these issues, facilitating donations both electronically and on paper and ensuring the charity was being represented accurately and ethically by myself and co-workers.

Throughout eleven months of working with Public Outreach I learned about current issues around the world concerning gender equality, micro-finance loans, community development, the cycle of poverty, animal abuses and global animal protection laws, refugee camps, emergency medical care in volatile areas, human rights issues, emergency relief, advocacy and lobbying. I also learned a lot about how to personally relate to people from many demographics and how to successfully build rapport tailored to an individual.

I felt thoroughly supported as an individual and as a teammate by my three managers over the course of working at Public Outreach. They were able to effectively balance a professional and personal relationship with me, invest time and resources in my professional and personal growth, and gave me helpful constructive criticism in areas needing improvement.

I looked forward to coming to work every day because I had the privilege to work alongside passionate people who cared deeply about creating positive change around the world. I learned to work and cooperate with people who I would not normally interact with and found common ground with each co-worker.

The hardest part
  more... of the job was maintaining high performance and consistently meeting quotas for donations every day. The job could be mentally and physically draining at times and it could be difficult to consistently maintain enthusiasm and high performance despite occasional harsh weather conditions.

Overall, working at Public Outreach challenged and stretched me into a stronger, tougher person. I developed strong interpersonal skills and a stronger, more realistic world-view. I loved meeting so many new people and connecting with individuals on a meaningful level. I thoroughly appreciated facilitating positive change globally as well as in the lives of the people that I talked with. Working in a community of caring employees and a generous city made me appreciate the power of the individual and of community. Going forward, I will take the skills and lessons that I learned with Public Outreach in my professional and personal life.
Pros
learning about charities, having great conversations with people, great team environment, good support from management, working outdoors, personal growth from challenges, being part of making a tangible difference
Cons
occasional harsh weather, difficult to consistently meet high performance quotas
Great Workplace
Administration: Phone Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  toronto ontarioJune 10, 2014
love it and the staff amazing people cool work environment a place where one can grow
fun place to work, nurturing environment despite pressure to meet targets
Supervising Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 8, 2014
a typical day at work involves standing on downtown Toronto streets, stopping strangers and convincing them to sign up to sponsor a child for around $40 a month. THey have to give us their credit card or bank information, so you need strong communication and rapport-building skills to do this job well. As a supervisor I'm responsible for making the day go smoothly, hitting target and bringing expensive equipment back to the office every day. The hardest part of the job is staying positive and detached. The most enjoyable parts are working outside during the summer and the interesting conversations I have.
Pros
working outdoors, flexible schedule
Cons
bad weather, unpleasant people