Public Health Agency of Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

Government Agency
Head of Executive Services (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 15, 2015
Great place to work, no complaints.
Management here is wonderful, very supportive and advocates for continuing education and career opportunities.
Would do it again
Multi media services officer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 4, 2016
Enjoyed all 20 years of my service. Would still be there if I didn't have to get out due to a posting that my family couldn't join me at.
Pros
Great job all around
Cons
Away from home alot
Fun and Easy-going
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 4, 2016
Great place to work and friendly environment. The people I worked with made me feel very welcome and helped me get comfortable in my position.
Slow-paced work environment with a great bunch of people.
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 14, 2015
A typical day at working included reviewing multiple documents along with odd jobs. Co-workers were great. Most enjoyable part of the job was how relaxed of an environment it was.
very bad managers in place
Senior Financial Officer (Former Employee) –  OttawaMarch 10, 2015
I enjoyed the work, but management is a sever problem. A do as I say not as I do culture. I experienced managers that may have the qualifications on paper and can pass exams, but have zero people skills.
Pros
free parking, good location
Cons
bad management in general, some good ones, but lots of bad ones
Friendly environment, and people were dedicated to their work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 26, 2013
Days were flexible. My work hours were 7AM - 3PM.
I took training in various required courses (Acquisition Card and Reconciliation, Expense Management Tool (TEMT), Delegation of Financial Signing Authorities for Cost Centre Managers and Cost Centre Administrators, SAP Materials Management – Purchasing, MECS, Travel Arranger - Travel AcXess Management)
Was able to take on additional responsibilities which benefited me to move around the department where help was required. Colleagues were very friendly, very human.
Hardest part of the job: When personal issues arose with colleagues (death from terminal illnesses, news of those affected from massive layoff).
Obtained long-term friendships with colleagues.
Pros
opportunities to learn new skills
Cons
become close to colleagues and working with so many, there's always a tragic event that would arise in one's life.
Great Management and staff overall
Program/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 12, 2014
Hours of work I chose are 7:00-3:00. Lots of opportunity to learn in all areas of groups. Management are great and understanding of life work balance. Co-workers for most part are friendly and easy to work with with. Hardest part of job is during what I call the quiet season. Most enjoyable part of job group celebrations.
Pros
flexibility in choice of hours to work (eg: 7:00-3:00; 8:00-4:00)
Cons
temperature control of office is poor
good place
Division Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 21, 2013
Good people and nice managers. easy advancement and great benefits
Pros
good people
Cons
far offices
Good place to learn about Public Sector Culture
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 23, 2015
Overall a friendly environment. Supportive of growth and development. Good place to hone skills and gain experience. Managers are open and willing to communicate.
Public Health Agency of Canada
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioApril 19, 2013
It was a position through an agency. I did not find this department to be as great. I found the management needed more training to deal with their employees.
Pros
contract position
Cons
agency contract
Excellent place to work with great people and work and life balance.
Software Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 6, 2013
This was an excellent place for me to work and I worked here over a three year time period. The people were great and I learnt a lot. However, due to the Federal government budget cuts, jobs for terms, contractors, and students were negatively impacted and the lay-off negatively impacted the positions of the terms employees, contractors, and students first, before any unionized employees were touched.
Pros
work and life balance; excellent people; great place to work;
Cons
due to the budget cuts the jobs for terms, contractors, and students were first eliminated before any unionized employees were laid off
Public Health Agency of Canada
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioApril 19, 2013
Was not the best department with their employees. The management needed more work.
Pros
contract position
Cons
agency contract
It was my dream place to work. I love to do research and that was the opportunity I got at PHAC. It was an experience relavent to my education and exp
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 11, 2013
I would like to join PHAC anytime. It was an experience which I am waiting to get another time. The typical day was getting briefing from your supervisor about the days work to be completed.
I loved the researched experience I did as a data analyst. The colleagues were extremely respectful and friendly. No tough experience I received on the job at PHAC.
Great team and helpful.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSOctober 16, 2013
I got hired at the Public Health Agency of Canada from a work training of the University and after 2 months they extended my contract and worked for a few months more.
The team I worked with was excellent.
My day would start from 8am until 4pm. I would answer calls, book meeting, book flights,hotel,car rentals that was necessary.
I would do some research for my supervisor, print/fax documents.
Joining meeting to write minutes and type them afterwards to give copies to the staff.
The hardest thing would be working with the contracts, because I did a few of them but I wished I learned more from them because they were interesting. they had to be approved by a few people and making sure there was no mistake in spelling.

I enjoyed working with my team, they were friendly and very professional.

I enjoyed working from my desk and seeing a very nice view of Halifax too, it makes you very motivated to work for your day and feeling very confident and a good start of the day.

I really enjoyed working there and would love to be able to work there again one day.
they open me a new door to something I really like to do and that's working with the public services and in health for Canadians
Great Opportunity
Special Event Planner for Environment Week (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 10, 2015
People in this office were a little cold but quickly found some nice people to help me out and help me pull off this event...................
Productive place to work, generally well managed and organized.
Project Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 10, 2012
Generally a pleasant place to work, with a good structure and ideas on moving forward. However, like many federal agencies, progress is hindered by "red tape" which can get frustrating from a project stand point.
Government Agency where people are kind and welcoming
Administrative Clerk (CR-04) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa ONAugust 10, 2012
high paced, professional environment. I obtained many of my administration skills while here.
Proactive place for learn lot
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oween street Toronto,OntarioJune 26, 2012
Print,prepare documentation for meetings and events,calendar schedyaling,prepare travel claims,provide back up for a jobs as needed by regional Manager.
Pros
events

Public Health Agency of Canada Reviews by Location