Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)

Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) Employee Reviews

Poor management and job advancement
Finance staff (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 April 2017
I have been with the company for long time and actually very disappointing as the years go by with new management comes along which leads me to look for another job somewhere else after the long years of service. The company has serious politic issues and favorism takes a big role in their decision making of who they want to promote. Hard working and just sit down to do the work type will not be appreciated here. They are into people with the skills to suck up with the bosses. Staffs who work hard, start from the bottom, and have been there for years will never get promoted. Lower salary range compare to other gov't positions and pay raises are way below the inflation. Don't waste your time here!!
Pros
Good pension, work and life balance
Cons
Poor management, lower pay rates, poor job advancement
Large organization -- your experience will depend on what group you are with
Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 April 2017
I enjoyed most the people around me. The size and scale of the organization made it challenging to navigate at times. It takes time to learn who's who in the zoo, especially given all of the various agencies within the PHSA umbrella, and how all the various groups are connected.
Pressure cooker work environment but surrounded by some of the most intelligent and capable co-workers a person could ask for.
COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 March 2017
My time at PHSA was short - but I gained valuable experience. I found the workplace culture a bit stiff - it was a bit of a no-fun zone. My immediate manager was brilliant - but a micromanager who got bogged down in unimportant details and lacked the ability to distinguish between genuine crisis and non-troversy.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits package
Cons
When you achieved a victory you merely did your job, when you made a mistake you were reminded of it regularly.
Stressful work but had a lot of pros and cons
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 March 2017
PHSA is a company that inherited BCAS which was in some turmoil at the time. I feel the pros were good wages but should be higher due to the workload., good benefits, good education, Overtime if wanted.
Cons- extremely long work days, stressful, long hospital waits, not enough resources, no breaks,
Pros
secure job
Cons
long hours, extremely stressful, pay not in sync with responsibilities and liabilities
Great employer
Agency Manager (Former Employee) –  PHSA27 February 2017
Lots of opportunities. Best practices not really used as intended. Coordination and control of efforts faces a lot of distractions. Difficult to remain focused and keep efforts on track. Evaluation of your performance may be based on areas not central to your role or the impact of your efforts. Personalities can influence relationships and your comfort with the agency culture quite a bit. Managers and directors providing oversight may have only minimal investment in what you're doing, but will provide feedback on the details that impact them negatively. Nice people to work with, although leadership and conflict seem to be pushed under the surface, which interferes with actual performance goals
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Don't really receive a lot of reinforcement for your work
a place you should stay away
cytologist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 January 2017
Abusive work environment, back stabbing, typical small town culture. They still use very old technique : air dried pathologic slides to diagnose patients , which has been abandoned by hospital s all the world...but they think they are super:))) the management is rude, arrogant , abusive.
Pros
the city which is located is pretty
Cons
you know that:)))
Poor leadership, politics, and favouritism plaguing what could have been a great workplace
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 November 2016
While I used to enjoy the work I do in my department, unfortunately our recent management has been plagued with favouritism leading to unfair promotions. It has already occurred twice in the last year with the same manager. Offering much higher level jobs to new and inexperienced workers who were very obviously trying to cozy up to management has lead to discouragement, low morale and feelings of hopelessness amongst the rest of the team. Productivity has been lower, and work is being done with less pride. Manager does not show respect to regular employees who work hard, only to those with loud and obnoxious personalities who constantly engage in non-work related conversations, and take credit for other people's work. It's toxic. It has led me to search elsewhere for a job with a more equal work environment. Hopefully other departments are not this unprofessional.
Pros
Learning opportunities, benefits, supportive coworkers
Cons
Politics, favouritism, poor management
Good Place to work
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC27 September 2016
PHSA is a health sector warehouse. Good place to work but management needs overhauling. Descent salary but should be more for a government job.
Pros
Easy work, not heavy.
Cons
Needs more experienced managers.
Large Public Health Service provider
Senior Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 September 2016
PHSA provides very wide range of health services. With complex team structure and changing requirements.

PHSA provides good work life balance, and nice manager depending on team. Some advancements are offered.
Pros
Work life balance, Vacation, good health benefits.
Cons
Pay grade is below similar position compares with the private sector. Reduced insurance benefits, and increased pension contributions.
Part time contract
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 July 2016
This is a part time contract with PHSA. I am looking for full time work. I love the project and it is providing amazing results in Public Health, but I require more hours in order to pay my mortgage and my bills. They do not have a full time position at this time, even though they would love to retain me, I must look elsewhere for work.
Pros
Great project
Cons
Not enough hours
Stores
Service aide/ porter (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC3 July 2016
the management is horrible and really works against you. there is no support here and its just over all a bad place to work because of the management.
Pros
work indoors
Cons
management
Quiet and comfortable work environment.
Stenographer/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC31 October 2015
Great co-workers, friendly environment.
Never felt very connected with the doctors or managers. Office staff was helpful and friendly. Not many shifts to make this job worth the commute.
Pros
Small office environment
Cons
Not much connection with managers.
It pays the bills
Supervisor/Lead hand (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC11 September 2015
I prefer to work with the public and this is a warehouse job. However, the pay and benefits are good. It is a government job so the union is strong.
Pros
6 am to 2 pm
Cons
no outside contact
One of the best and most welcoming workplaces I have ever been a part of
Records Processing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 September 2015
Fantastic workplace, great atmosphere and work culture. Management is fantastic and really cares about their employees. Family atmosphere coupled with good pay and benefits.
Pros
Great Work Culture
Cons
Advancement
good work place with supportive management
UNIX System Administrator/ Application Support (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 August 2015
good work place with supportive management, good salary, interesting job , I worked in great team that provided variety of services.
Stability is number one.
Storesman (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 May 2015
Stability at PHSA is top notch...if you don't want to advance in pay. Warehouse work is monotonous and the pay raise is almost non existent. Inflation rate is higher than the pay raise, lol. Union is a joke, doesn't protect anyone from bullies (senior employees that down talk to you like you're trash). Supervisors can not implement or use disciplinary actions against people like that, basically are glorified baby sitters. Sick-time is abused to the moon, everyone calls in sick, f***ing joke.
Pros
Stability
Cons
no over-time pay permitted to regular staff only supervisors. No substantial pay raises, no real advancement to a better position.
Good Experience
Jr. Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC19 March 2015
PHSA Is a great for job security. The culture is great and very welcoming. The salary is fair and benefits are great. I find all management to be caring, and show concern for the wellbeing of their employees. Workload is not overwhelming which can be a pro or con for some people.
Fun place to work
Clerk III, Screening Mammography Program of BC (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 March 2015
Great place to work! Learned a lot about how the Health Care Industry works and how it services people. The Management of all the Health Care Services in BC, were taken into consideration to make the Department of the government run efficiently.
Little respect given
Front line staff (Former Employee) –  Vancouver area26 January 2015
Everyone is replaceable...And they have no problem telling you that if you challenge status quo. At one time was a great place to work. Now, there is no consideration for work/life balance, you are expected to work like a robot. Hidden agendas and lead to hardworking staff being treated poorly.
Pros
Opportunity to work in specialized areas
Cons
Opinions of front line staff dont matter, unsafe workloads
Fantastic place to work
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC31 December 2014
I worked in Human Resources and the management team is very supportive. They do support a work/life balance and promote a very open culture. My co-workers are my friends whom I continue to keep in touch with. I truly enjoyed going to work here.
Pros
benefits, culture, engagement, support, people
Cons
public sector with few raises

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). Our community is ready to answer.

2.8