Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)

Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) Employee Reviews

Get in, learn, then move on (fast)
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC14 October 2017
There is a large shortage of qualified labor in this company. There are a lot of talkers which fail to take action and the company itself is extremely middle management heavy. If you are a performer, you will get access to all sorts of interesting work in this company. Unfortunately, they will rely on you absolutely and do not compensate as per performance, rather its how knows and likes you instead. I developed a lot with this company but found it frustrating when performance increases are capped at 2-3% yearly and I was given the same increases as other peers.
Not friendly co-workers, not good in team work
Scheduling Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 July 2017
I would love working at PHSA easy work as I know myself as a hard worker but can't handle to work with co-workers who are not willing to help as a team and most of them PHSA employees are related to each other in other words they are family---:)) and if you don't have nobody your out.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge providing work place
Scheduling Agent (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 July 2017
1. Friendly work environment with great appreciation.
2. Job security with union membership
3. Team work with voluntary efforts and encouragement.
4. Constant communication through email and phone
5. Great management.
Pros
Backing union and events place.
Cons
Stretched workload
Event Coordinator
Pride Event Community Engagement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 July 2017
Coordinated participation, engagement in and evaluation of Pride events. Helped expand services and a support network for Transgender citizens of BC. Provided information on Transgender medical programs, supports, and other health resources.
Opportunity to learn in a highly unionized enviornment
Payroll Systems Processor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 July 2017
Grateful to further my career in a large, highly unionized environment. Had a lot of opportunities to learn. Limited opportunities to advance due to union rules. Good pension plan.
Pros
Large enivironment and good company for long term environment
Cons
Unionized environment
work life balance and security
Finance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 June 2017
reviewed financial statements and prepared financial statements to ensure compliance and controls. Great benefits and work life balance. Not a lot of opportunity to advance.
Management was and staff were great to work with
Call Centre Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 June 2017
Even though I was there a short period of time. Management was very helpful and supportive so were the other staff. The job was okay i enjoyed talking to woman all over the province.
Competent Staff but underperforming Culture
Experienced (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 May 2017
Poorly managed workplace with assignments and projects frequently running slowly, direction lacking quality, and budgets being extended. Very political environment with 'fit' being emphasized over competency. Promotions occurring when 'fit' exists, but not necessarily the skill sets to get the job done. Poor planning of initiatives and projects, with a lot of toxicity resulting; nearly impossible to get efforts back on track, with the culture ignoring risk assessments. HR is almost useless.
Pros
Decent pay. Convenient locations.
Cons
Inconsistent pay and job classification structures.
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 April 2017
Working here is great. Your co-workers are great. The environment is great! The hours can sometimes be a little tiring, but that's the life of a casual. There are dry times where you don't get a shift and there are times where your phone doesn't stop ringing.
Pros
Continous learning, great pay
Cons
Not very many shifts some months
Poor management and job advancement
Finance staff (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 April 2017
I have been with the company for long time and actually very disappointing as the years go by with new management comes along which leads me to look for another job somewhere else after the long years of service. The company has serious politic issues and favorism takes a big role in their decision making of who they want to promote. Hard working and just sit down to do the work type will not be appreciated here. They are into people with the skills to suck up with the bosses. Staffs who work hard, start from the bottom, and have been there for years will never get promoted. Lower salary range compare to other gov't positions and pay raises are way below the inflation. Don't waste your time here!!
Pros
Good pension, work and life balance
Cons
Poor management, lower pay rates, poor job advancement
Large organization -- your experience will depend on what group you are with
Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 April 2017
I enjoyed most the people around me. The size and scale of the organization made it challenging to navigate at times. It takes time to learn who's who in the zoo, especially given all of the various agencies within the PHSA umbrella, and how all the various groups are connected.
Pressure cooker work environment but surrounded by some of the most intelligent and capable co-workers a person could ask for.
COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 March 2017
My time at PHSA was short - but I gained valuable experience. I found the workplace culture a bit stiff - it was a bit of a no-fun zone. My immediate manager was brilliant - but a micromanager who got bogged down in unimportant details and lacked the ability to distinguish between genuine crisis and non-troversy.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits package
Cons
When you achieved a victory you merely did your job, when you made a mistake you were reminded of it regularly.
Stressful work but had a lot of pros and cons
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 March 2017
PHSA is a company that inherited BCAS which was in some turmoil at the time. I feel the pros were good wages but should be higher due to the workload., good benefits, good education, Overtime if wanted.
Cons- extremely long work days, stressful, long hospital waits, not enough resources, no breaks,
Pros
secure job
Cons
long hours, extremely stressful, pay not in sync with responsibilities and liabilities
Great employer
Agency Manager (Former Employee) –  PHSA27 February 2017
Lots of opportunities. Best practices not really used as intended. Coordination and control of efforts faces a lot of distractions. Difficult to remain focused and keep efforts on track. Evaluation of your performance may be based on areas not central to your role or the impact of your efforts. Personalities can influence relationships and your comfort with the agency culture quite a bit. Managers and directors providing oversight may have only minimal investment in what you're doing, but will provide feedback on the details that impact them negatively. Nice people to work with, although leadership and conflict seem to be pushed under the surface, which interferes with actual performance goals
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Don't really receive a lot of reinforcement for your work
a place you should stay away
cytologist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 January 2017
Abusive work environment, back stabbing, typical small town culture. They still use very old technique : air dried pathologic slides to diagnose patients , which has been abandoned by hospital s all the world...but they think they are super:))) the management is rude, arrogant , abusive.
Pros
the city which is located is pretty
Cons
you know that:)))
Poor leadership, politics, and favouritism plaguing what could have been a great workplace
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 November 2016
While I used to enjoy the work I do in my department, unfortunately our recent management has been plagued with favouritism leading to unfair promotions. It has already occurred twice in the last year with the same manager. Offering much higher level jobs to new and inexperienced workers who were very obviously trying to cozy up to management has lead to discouragement, low morale and feelings of hopelessness amongst the rest of the team. Productivity has been lower, and work is being done with less pride. Manager does not show respect to regular employees who work hard, only to those with loud and obnoxious personalities who constantly engage in non-work related conversations, and take credit for other people's work. It's toxic. It has led me to search elsewhere for a job with a more equal work environment. Hopefully other departments are not this unprofessional.
Pros
Learning opportunities, benefits, supportive coworkers
Cons
Politics, favouritism, poor management
Good Place to work
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC27 September 2016
PHSA is a health sector warehouse. Good place to work but management needs overhauling. Descent salary but should be more for a government job.
Pros
Easy work, not heavy.
Cons
Needs more experienced managers.
Large Public Health Service provider
Senior Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 September 2016
PHSA provides very wide range of health services. With complex team structure and changing requirements.

PHSA provides good work life balance, and nice manager depending on team. Some advancements are offered.
Pros
Work life balance, Vacation, good health benefits.
Cons
Pay grade is below similar position compares with the private sector. Reduced insurance benefits, and increased pension contributions.
Part time contract
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 July 2016
This is a part time contract with PHSA. I am looking for full time work. I love the project and it is providing amazing results in Public Health, but I require more hours in order to pay my mortgage and my bills. They do not have a full time position at this time, even though they would love to retain me, I must look elsewhere for work.
Pros
Great project
Cons
Not enough hours
Stores
Service aide/ porter (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC3 July 2016
the management is horrible and really works against you. there is no support here and its just over all a bad place to work because of the management.
Pros
work indoors
Cons
management