Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)

Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) Employee Reviews

Poor leadership, politics, and favouritism plaguing what could have been a great workplace
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 November 2016
While I used to enjoy the work I do in my department, unfortunately our recent management has been plagued with favouritism leading to unfair promotions. It has already occurred twice in the last year with the same manager. Offering much higher level jobs to new and inexperienced workers who were very obviously trying to cozy up to management has lead to discouragement, low morale and feelings of hopelessness amongst the rest of the team. Productivity has been lower, and work is being done with less pride. Manager does not show respect to regular employees who work hard, only to those with loud and obnoxious personalities who constantly engage in non-work related conversations, and take credit for other people's work. It's toxic. It has led me to search elsewhere for a job with a more equal work environment. Hopefully other departments are not this unprofessional.
Pros
Learning opportunities, benefits, supportive coworkers
Cons
Politics, favouritism, poor management
Stressful work but had a lot of pros and cons
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 March 2017
PHSA is a company that inherited BCAS which was in some turmoil at the time. I feel the pros were good wages but should be higher due to the workload., good benefits, good education, Overtime if wanted.
Cons- extremely long work days, stressful, long hospital waits, not enough resources, no breaks,
Pros
secure job
Cons
long hours, extremely stressful, pay not in sync with responsibilities and liabilities
Large Public Health Service provider
Senior Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 September 2016
PHSA provides very wide range of health services. With complex team structure and changing requirements.

PHSA provides good work life balance, and nice manager depending on team. Some advancements are offered.
Pros
Work life balance, Vacation, good health benefits.
Cons
Pay grade is below similar position compares with the private sector. Reduced insurance benefits, and increased pension contributions.
a place you should stay away
cytologist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 January 2017
Abusive work environment, back stabbing, typical small town culture. They still use very old technique : air dried pathologic slides to diagnose patients , which has been abandoned by hospital s all the world...but they think they are super:))) the management is rude, arrogant , abusive.
Pros
the city which is located is pretty
Cons
you know that:)))
Great employer
Agency Manager (Former Employee) –  PHSA27 February 2017
Lots of opportunities. Best practices not really used as intended. Coordination and control of efforts faces a lot of distractions. Difficult to remain focused and keep efforts on track. Evaluation of your performance may be based on areas not central to your role or the impact of your efforts. Personalities can influence relationships and your comfort with the agency culture quite a bit. Managers and directors providing oversight may have only minimal investment in what you're doing, but will provide feedback on the details that impact them negatively. Nice people to work with, although leadership and conflict seem to be pushed under the surface, which interferes with actual performance goals
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Don't really receive a lot of reinforcement for your work
Good Place to work
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC27 September 2016
PHSA is a health sector warehouse. Good place to work but management needs overhauling. Descent salary but should be more for a government job.
Pros
Easy work, not heavy.
Cons
Needs more experienced managers.
Stores
Service aide/ porter (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC3 July 2016
the management is horrible and really works against you. there is no support here and its just over all a bad place to work because of the management.
Pros
work indoors
Cons
management
One of the best and most welcoming workplaces I have ever been a part of
Records Processing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 September 2015
Fantastic workplace, great atmosphere and work culture. Management is fantastic and really cares about their employees. Family atmosphere coupled with good pay and benefits.
Pros
Great Work Culture
Cons
Advancement
If you want to stagnate in a job...PHSA is for you
Project Manager 1 (Former Employee) –  Vancouver18 April 2014
You will work hard and impress management, but this will get you no where fast. Management does not respect staff and treats employees like children.
If you want advancement and have the audacity to ask for it, you will be told it is coming and there is a future for you in the company, until one day you will be let go - without a reason!
You will be offered a meagre redundancy that they will not honour and your only chance of being treated like a human being is to get a lawyer involved.
Pros
Some work life balance
Cons
Low pay, no advancement, horrible bosses
Part time contract
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 July 2016
This is a part time contract with PHSA. I am looking for full time work. I love the project and it is providing amazing results in Public Health, but I require more hours in order to pay my mortgage and my bills. They do not have a full time position at this time, even though they would love to retain me, I must look elsewhere for work.
Pros
Great project
Cons
Not enough hours
Fantastic place to work
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC31 December 2014
I worked in Human Resources and the management team is very supportive. They do support a work/life balance and promote a very open culture. My co-workers are my friends whom I continue to keep in touch with. I truly enjoyed going to work here.
Pros
benefits, culture, engagement, support, people
Cons
public sector with few raises
Stability is number one.
Storesman (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 May 2015
Stability at PHSA is top notch...if you don't want to advance in pay. Warehouse work is monotonous and the pay raise is almost non existent. Inflation rate is higher than the pay raise, lol. Union is a joke, doesn't protect anyone from bullies (senior employees that down talk to you like you're trash). Supervisors can not implement or use disciplinary actions against people like that, basically are glorified baby sitters. Sick-time is abused to the moon, everyone calls in sick, f***ing joke.
Pros
Stability
Cons
no over-time pay permitted to regular staff only supervisors. No substantial pay raises, no real advancement to a better position.
Good Experience
Jr. Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC19 March 2015
PHSA Is a great for job security. The culture is great and very welcoming. The salary is fair and benefits are great. I find all management to be caring, and show concern for the wellbeing of their employees. Workload is not overwhelming which can be a pro or con for some people.
Unhappy Management dominated work environment
EX AR Finance Clerk (Former Employee) –  AR Finance, Willingdon, Burnaby BC13 October 2014
Very difficult and arrogant Management Team exists at the AR Finance office. Management is intolerant of new ideas, new direction and new methods in improving work flow and productivity.. Staff turnover is over 50% and old staff let go are not replaced. If you are accepted for employment, then you are a chip off the old block (Head) and are a replica of the Management Group, that is desperate to retain power. Steer care of any AR Job advertisements until the department goes through a major internal overhaul.
Pros
Few
Cons
Long hours and unhealthy workloads
good work place with supportive management
UNIX System Administrator/ Application Support (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 August 2015
good work place with supportive management, good salary, interesting job , I worked in great team that provided variety of services.
Little respect given
Front line staff (Former Employee) –  Vancouver area26 January 2015
Everyone is replaceable...And they have no problem telling you that if you challenge status quo. At one time was a great place to work. Now, there is no consideration for work/life balance, you are expected to work like a robot. Hidden agendas and lead to hardworking staff being treated poorly.
Pros
Opportunity to work in specialized areas
Cons
Opinions of front line staff dont matter, unsafe workloads
Shared service provider to BC public health organizations
Non Patient Billing Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 June 2014
Shared service provider to BC public health organizations; learned how political and fragmented healthcare in BC is but most people care and are dedicated to working to add value for BC public healthcare recipients. The biggest achievement was leading the first online payment offering in BC public healthcare history.
Pros
People
Cons
Politics and fragmentation ('turf' battles)
5 Stars
Temporary Administration Support Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 January 2013
I enjoy working here as I learn and face new challenges and new skills that are viable throughout the health organizations. The experience has made me feel more flexible about my skills and brushing up on the skills already acquired. It is a great place to work.
Pros
ethics, benefits, friendly
Cons
can be stressful if not very busy, so need to be on all the time.
It pays the bills
Supervisor/Lead hand (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC11 September 2015
I prefer to work with the public and this is a warehouse job. However, the pay and benefits are good. It is a government job so the union is strong.
Pros
6 am to 2 pm
Cons
no outside contact
Productive environment
Warehouse Operator (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC1 August 2013
The hardest part of my job is having the desire to advance by obtaining a full time position but facing the obstacle of seniority for those wishing to obtain the similar role.
The most enjoyable part of my job is my co-workers with whom I work with on a daily basis.
Pros
In-house training pertaining to current position
Cons
Advancement opportunities based on seniority

2.7