Providence Health & Services Employee Reviews in Canada

Poorly structured management, not supportive
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 20, 2016
I had a horrible experience with this company. I was bullied by management to the point of being called an idiot. Many employees on my unit were scared of management. I found that management was not professional.

Coworkers were great, and supportive. The nurses, doctors and other workers give 110% every day.
Pros
great nurses and co workers
Cons
not supportive with education and training.
Great place as a student
Admitting Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCJanuary 5, 2016
Phenomenal work environment for a student. As a casual employee you aren't entitled to benefits or stat holidays off, you are however paid 11.8% in the lieu of these, which is a great jump in hourly wage, hours are plentiful and flexible for people in school and everybody is very helpful to new hires.
Learning experience
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 17, 2015
Everyday is a same routine, that we open the doors, do front desk positions, assist everybody with their needs within my capabilities. Reception duties.
Pros
get invited to free lunches
Cons
big place and huge workload for minimal security
My job is always rewarding and fun!
Finance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 1, 2015
Providence Health Care is wonderful place to work - everybody is extremely friendly and humble . My manager is always helpful and understanding - The benefits such as extended health care and pension plan are impressive. Everyone is treated the same here and we always have fun inside and outside our job.
Pros
Great work enviroment
LNL property management (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 1, 2015
I did not work there, I volunteer there over the summer.
I help out with the other works, I learned how to work hard and do my best work.
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  torontoAugust 27, 2015
Providence overall is an excellent place to work where there is lots of learning opportunities and fortifying nursing skills. On the down side, job security and advancement is difficult.
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Records Processing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 17, 2015
My experience here was fantastic, as I was able to learn and advance my skills to help better myself as a person and as an employee.
Beware!!!
Admin. Assistant (Former Employee) –  ScarboroughAugust 6, 2015
No room for growth. Management dictates very strict. A lot of office politics. Too much gossiping for an organization. Job security is definitely not there.
Pros
Lots of holidays
Good at the beginning
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 24, 2015
It was a great place to work in the beginning but as the years went by the work load and number of patients one was responsible for increased and it became a strain on providing quality care.
Quiet place, watching movies and escorting residents afterwards.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 29, 2015
Providence is a lovely residence, with nice residents and a friendly staff. Volunteering there was decent and only required kindness and patience when communicating and assisting the elderly.
Pros
Wasnt too difficult
Cons
was at night around 7pm. Would be home by 9:30
productive fun working environment
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioApril 22, 2015
Amazing experience with fantastic co-workers and supervisors. Had an amazing opportunity to work one on one with patients in the health facility where I was able to with there quality of life during their stay as a the facility.
It is a supportive and wonderful organization to be apart of
IV Infusion PICC Therapy RN (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 25, 2015
I believe that Providence Health Care is a leader in patient care and medical research. The management is supportive and that provides strong job satisfaction
fun workplace
NURSING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONApril 1, 2015
people are very friendly and productive, however some management could serve to be a bit more polite. A typical day is 8hrs long but passes very quickly with good company.
Pros
coworkers and events
Cons
poor management
Productive and fun workplace with great potential for career growth.
Meal Assistant and Recreation (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 5, 2014
I learned that I have the passion of providing sincere supportive care to seniors and elderly persons while working in this facility. I value the opportunity each day that I can make seniors feel loved and cared for. It is very rewarding to see the smiles on their faces at the end of my shift, a sign of gratitude from them.
Pros
hands on training as a personal attendant.
workplace where you get to make people happy
part time (Former Employee) –  torontoMay 9, 2014
A typical work day was me interacting with seniors , making them feel welcome , getting them what they want like food or water. I gained a lot of communication skills ,i learned how to interact with different kinds of people from the grumpy ones to the sad ones.I really learned how to react to certain situations that occur during my work hours & solve problems. My co-workers were always in a positive motive really energetic and fun to work with. The hardest part of the job was taking the seniors for a walk. The most enjoyable part of the job was trying to entertain the seniors
Pros
free lunches, working with seniors
Cons
long hours, bad smell
Nurse at Rehab Floor
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 6, 2014
I was responsible for 5-7 patients, which included providing daily care, medications, overall assessments, transcribing medications.
I have learnt how to work in a team setting.
Co-workers were a team. We always helped each other in difficult situations
The hardest part of the job was it was part-time. Thus, it was very difficult to know clients as per nurse-client relationship.
the enjoyable part of the job is that we all worked as a team. so even in stressful circumstances, i did not find it stressful, because there was always co-workers and manager to guide and help me
Pros
pot luck lunches
Cons
part time
senior food
Dietary Staff (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 31, 2015
typical day at work will be preparing or prepping food for the senior.
everything has to be organized and on time, or it can be stressful.
I'm neutral with all my co-workers.
Pros
nice enviroment
Cons
not enough hours
very fast paced
NURSE /PATIENT EDUCATOR HOME IV PROGRAM (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 16, 2015
lots of lunch and learns,lots of jobs available,big city hospital, lots going on,lots of research...most positive thing I can say is that I went back to work there!!
Pros
up to date
Cons
very political
Great staff
Resident Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 12, 2013
A day at work consist of helping people to do daily activities like eating dressing and washing. I love working with people and problem solving cause each day comes with a new set of difficulties. The staff is amazing to work with they work like a team helping and supporting each other allowing for the best care to be given. Sometimes there are bad days but most are good I believe the hardest part of this job is watching people pass away but at the same getting to meet and learn from these people is the best. For working in such a big organization it is an amazing job some Managers take the time to get to know you where others do not take the time to.
Pros
meeting many different people co workers and residents
Cons
emotionally draining
student nurse
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 16, 2012
7-730 getting reports for 5-6 patients
730-1200 providing care to patients, administering medications, getting them ready for therapy, assisting with AM care.
1200-1230 lunch
1230-1500- doing other chores, like administering afternoon meds, answering call bellls, changing wound dressing, other medical procedures.

I loved working at providence with the team, it was enjoyable and fun. The hardest part of the job was not getting paid because i was a student.
Pros
i loved working as a student nurse
Cons
not enough hours, no pay

Providence Health & Services Reviews by Location