Providence Health & Services

Providence Health & Services Employee Reviews

Great place as a student
Admitting Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCJanuary 5, 2016
Phenomenal work environment for a student. As a casual employee you aren't entitled to benefits or stat holidays off, you are however paid 11.8% in the lieu of these, which is a great jump in hourly wage, hours are plentiful and flexible for people in school and everybody is very helpful to new hires.
It was very good experience in friendly and educative environment.
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 17, 2016
Our practice was very good organized and it gave me a lot of new skills and experience. Staff nurses were very helpful and friendly. Feedback from our clinical instructor was constructive and positive. We were working on the floor and had conference after that. It was discussions of all what we did during the day plus some new knowledge which we obtained from books, articles, internet research. Everything was produstive and very good for educational process. Atmosphera in the facility is always important for students' pratice. Most important that we got feeling that we belong there yet we can have help when it needed. This was my very good clinical practice in one of the best hospitals of Toronto.
Pros
Excellent expirience
Cons
My job is always rewarding and fun!
Finance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 1, 2015
Providence Health Care is wonderful place to work - everybody is extremely friendly and humble . My manager is always helpful and understanding - The benefits such as extended health care and pension plan are impressive. Everyone is treated the same here and we always have fun inside and outside our job.
Pros
Great work enviroment
Poorly structured management, not supportive
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 20, 2016
I had a horrible experience with this company. I was bullied by management to the point of being called an idiot. Many employees on my unit were scared of management. I found that management was not professional.

Coworkers were great, and supportive. The nurses, doctors and other workers give 110% every day.
Pros
great nurses and co workers
Cons
not supportive with education and training.
great place
Registered Practical Nurse Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 4, 2016
As a nursing student I learned a lot about rehabilitation and stroke management. Staff members are helpful. I had opportunity to learn nursing skills. good management
Productive and friendly workplace
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 30, 2016
I worked as a practicum student at Providence Health Care, Vancouver. It was an unpaid internship. My supervisor was great. she was very supportive.
Energetic, take an initiative, fun and friendly working in a different diversity.
Reflexologist/ Licensure Practical Nursse (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 17, 2013
hardworker, friendly, reliable, trustworthy, can work without supervision, knowlegeable in medical equipment. punctual, work effectively within a team, passionate about work, remain calm in crisis situations, respect clients, staff and the confidentiality of their information. The hardest part of the job if the patients are they are in a hardtime suffering too much pain, dealing w/ family are in denial. The most enjoyable part of the job during our patients they are extend their life, revive by the physician and tru the help of the team of medical practetioner.
Pros
take advantage of the teatime, smoking
Cons
to have an reliable income + package benefits
LNL property management (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 1, 2015
I did not work there, I volunteer there over the summer.
I help out with the other works, I learned how to work hard and do my best work.
Beware!!!
Admin. Assistant (Former Employee) –  ScarboroughAugust 6, 2015
No room for growth. Management dictates very strict. A lot of office politics. Too much gossiping for an organization. Job security is definitely not there.
Pros
Lots of holidays
Learning experience
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 17, 2015
Everyday is a same routine, that we open the doors, do front desk positions, assist everybody with their needs within my capabilities. Reception duties.
Pros
get invited to free lunches
Cons
big place and huge workload for minimal security
Productive and Educating work enviroment
RN full-time and left as casual (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 22, 2013
Best place to work. 12 hour shifts. Good salary. Motivating work enviroment.
Pros
education
Cons
12 hour shifts
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  torontoAugust 27, 2015
Providence overall is an excellent place to work where there is lots of learning opportunities and fortifying nursing skills. On the down side, job security and advancement is difficult.
It is a decent place to work.
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 27, 2013
Front-line workers don't receive that much benefits as they should.
Pros
different entrances
Cons
no free-parking
exciting and fun being with the residence
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 18, 2013
As a International educated nurse a typical day at work in Providence healthcare gives me an idea how the health system in Canada works. It gives me the feeling of excitement since I came there as a volunteer giving meal assistance to the residence during their meals.

I learned how to appreciate my field, Nursing. I was assigned to Alzheimer's patients and I had the opportunity not only to apply the correct intervention in certain situations but learn to appreciate life most of all.

The management I worked with gives me the room to grow and show me how the system works. I enjoy their company for they also shared their experiences.

Like the management, co-workers gave you the room to gain confidence and patience in team-building environment.

First day were always been the hardest part of the job since your start to create a system to prioritize things according to their needs.

Being in a team-building environment made me realized that this job are more enjoyable and made me feel at home.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
workplace where you get to make people happy
part time (Former Employee) –  torontoMay 9, 2014
A typical work day was me interacting with seniors , making them feel welcome , getting them what they want like food or water. I gained a lot of communication skills ,i learned how to interact with different kinds of people from the grumpy ones to the sad ones.I really learned how to react to certain situations that occur during my work hours & solve problems. My co-workers were always in a positive motive really energetic and fun to work with. The hardest part of the job was taking the seniors for a walk. The most enjoyable part of the job was trying to entertain the seniors
Pros
free lunches, working with seniors
Cons
long hours, bad smell
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Records Processing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 17, 2015
My experience here was fantastic, as I was able to learn and advance my skills to help better myself as a person and as an employee.
Great staff
Resident Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 12, 2013
A day at work consist of helping people to do daily activities like eating dressing and washing. I love working with people and problem solving cause each day comes with a new set of difficulties. The staff is amazing to work with they work like a team helping and supporting each other allowing for the best care to be given. Sometimes there are bad days but most are good I believe the hardest part of this job is watching people pass away but at the same getting to meet and learn from these people is the best. For working in such a big organization it is an amazing job some Managers take the time to get to know you where others do not take the time to.
Pros
meeting many different people co workers and residents
Cons
emotionally draining
A great learning environment
Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 23, 2014
Greet patients and visitors at the desk in a friendly, courteous manner.
Coordinate admission o patients.
Assist nurse with room assignments when necessary.
Initiate labeled medical record on admission.
Assure prompt completion of admission diagnostic work with assistance from RN/LPN.
Notify nurse of any stat treatments or medication.
Coordinate discharge/transfer of resident.
Prepare medical record for discharge.
Answer telephone efficiently and courteously and relay messages and calls to appropriate personnel and patients. Also relay information to other departments as needed.
Answer patient intercom promptly and courteously and refer urgent requests to the nurse immediately.
Transcribe physician orders.
Make requisitions for diagnostic studies, make out Medication Administration Record (MAR) and Kardex and assure completion of stat orders.
Notify the nurse of new orders and assure orders are double­checked for transcription by the nurse.
It is a supportive and wonderful organization to be apart of
IV Infusion PICC Therapy RN (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 25, 2015
I believe that Providence Health Care is a leader in patient care and medical research. The management is supportive and that provides strong job satisfaction
Good at the beginning
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 24, 2015
It was a great place to work in the beginning but as the years went by the work load and number of patients one was responsible for increased and it became a strain on providing quality care.

Providence Health & Services Reviews by Location