Communicates back and forth with Drivers to assist with problem resolution while on route. Handles incoming service orders, directs drivers, and resolves service issues. Interacts with customers, Progressive Waste customer service, sales, and operational staff (i.e. Route Managers, Mechanics etc.). Uses proprietary software (Trux) to enter ticket information and track activity. Shifts vary with the potential for overtime and Saturday hours depending particular site needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Works with routing specialists, route managers, and the service department to optimize complex routes
- Dispatches drivers to calls as they are received, using information on customer needs, drivers' locations and loads, and daily factors to balance cost and speed of response
- Fields incoming calls from customers, and e-mails from customer service and sales department; manages requests for pick-up or container delivery and ensuring same-day service
- Initiates outbound calls to customers while drivers are on-site/location, resolving pick-up and other issues
- Troubleshoots and resolves potential delivery and pick-up problems before they result in service issues
- Records and documents information from Drivers and distributes to appropriate departments
- Communicates with maintenance shop personnel and serves as an emergency point of contact for down wires and other issues
- Serves as point person for manager; coordinates projects and other tasks as necessary
- Delegates work in managers absence
- Serves as an escalation point for other Dispatchers in the department
- Train new Dispatchers
- Can be asked to cover all lines of business (Commercial, Residential, Roll-Off), multiple sites etc. within an area
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
Required: High School Diploma or G.E.D. and a minimum of 2 years of previous dispatching experience
Preferred: High school diploma or G.E.D, plus additional or specialized training in transportation, logistics, or similar area of study; customer service experience in a call-center environment
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Must have adequate typing speed
- Must be able to communicate effectively and professionally via e-mail, telephone, and 2 way devices
- Must have the desire and ability to learn Progressive Waste proprietary software applications