Progress Energy Employee Reviews in Canada

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
A very dilligent management team and a growing safety culture. A very good experience working there.
Safety Consultant - Progress Energy (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BCMay 31, 2016
I worked under contract there for six months and Progress is a "move forward" attitude with a great management team. Although we are all experiencing difficult times, they delegate their resources effectively and address their concerns with enthusiasm.
The hardest part of the job was the vast distances that their asset encompasses, so it can be difficult to respond in a timely manner.
I learned that it is important for all workers to fully understand the expectations before beginning their duties, so that there are no miscommunications of responsibilities.
I very much enjoyed the experience of working with a professional management team and their vast knowledge of safety culture.
Pros
Staying in a camp and having an office on site.
Cons
Being far away from a town in case of problems or needs.
Fun, exciting, interesting welcoming company
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Fort Saint John, NBMay 13, 2016
Terrific working atmosphere where all 40 office employees get along and work together to be productive.

I have opportunities to grow within the position building skills and am continuously given increased responsibilities and depended upon.

Lots of opportunity to participate in company charitable events.

Work closely with head office in Calgary regarding Transportation of Dangerous Goods documents.

Its always fairly easy to take a day off here and there as other admin staff are willing to cover.
Pros
Half work days on Friday's before long weekend.
Cons
Hard to get employee position
Exciting work environment, great co workers, rewarding work
Administration/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Fort St John, BCMarch 15, 2016
I love that I have a fun and exciting job to go to everyday, terrific co workers, friendly environment. I perform a hugely diverse set of responsibilities which I thrive on and I'm the lucky one to greet and assist anyone walking in. I'm a people person and interaction with anyone and everyone is effortless.

I have learned a lot regarding policies and safety procedures, given the nature of the industry and have had lots of opportunity to collaborate with different departments where I learn the daily ins and outs there as well. I thoroughly enjoy being the hub of information and the go to person in the office.

The hardest part of this job is riding the wave of economic downturns, the uncertainty it brings and watching work mates be ushered out during layoffs. It hits me in the gut everytime.

The best part of my job is that I get to be there and how each new day brings new people in to my foyer, and the opportunities to learn something new.
Pros
Lots of perks with a well to do company
Cons
Its a very dirty city
Logging the plant,doing PVR, managing and scheduling workers, Training of operators
Lead Refridge Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort St John BCApril 28, 2016
Worked with engineers and operations to commision fstart up of the plant. Worked closely with Engineering and a crew of 80 construction workers to start up phase 2 of the plant. Trained new workers.
Pros
Works well with Engineering and Management
Cons
Doesn, t delegate work properly
Easy-going family-like enviroment
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Grande PrairieJune 27, 2016
I loved my job, I loved the people I worked with, and I loved the management staff.
I disliked the lack of job security, the constant office politics, and zero opportunity for advancements.
Pros
Free Lunches, Relaxed Enviroment
Cons
Office Politics stemming from Head Office
Want to be undermined and lied to? Sign up here
Safety (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BCApril 3, 2014
Worked at Progress Energy Canada (Most of these reviews were from the states for a totally different company) and found this company to lack discipline, character, and morals. As an example, this company went through 10 health and safety professionals in the field in 2 years. This is an incredible wake up call to anyone looking to work for them. They are running themselves like Jed Clampet won a billion dollars and can't figure out how to spend it fast enough. If you want to work for a gas company that is still living in the 70's, and is part of the good ol' boys club then feel free to sign up.
Cons
incompetent management, old camps, horrible food.