Employer: Product Care Association
Job Type: Full-Time
Experience Required: 2-3 years
Area: Vancouver, BC
ABOUT PRODUCT CARE ASSOCIATION
Based in the False Creek/Olympic Village area of Vancouver, Product Care Association is a not-for-profit industry-sponsored association that manages recycling programs on behalf of its members across Canada. In response to an increasing number of government-mandated “extended producer responsibility” regulations, we operate recycling programs in eight provinces across Canada for consumer products such as lighting, paint, household appliances, outdoor power equipment and more. With a dedicated staff of more than 60, the total annual value of the programs managed by PCA exceeds $30 million and is expected to continue to increase as programs are added. Please visit www.productcare.org for more information.
Reporting to the Communications Manager, the Communications Officer will help develop, coordinate and implement strategic communications and media plans for Product Care’s various stewardship programs and campaigns. This is a full-time position with benefits and a competitive salary commensurate with experience.
- Work closely with the Communications Manager to develop communications plans and strategic opportunities that leverage media – both traditional and social – to achieve campaign goals and objectives.
- Develop and maintain close relationships with program partners and individual Product Care program coordinators to create and implement online communications and media strategies.
- Produce written materials, including press releases, press advisories, op-eds, fact sheets, background materials and other marketing materials
- Produce online content such as blog posts, email blasts, social media posts, etc.
- Help prepare media materials as needed, follow-up on media inquiries and monitor media articles
- Facilitate the needs of media requests including written materials, spokespeople, etc.
- Create and maintain media lists, including social media contact information
- Research blogs and recommend commentary, link to key industry and environmental blogs
- Tweet and post on behalf of Product Care
- Regular analytics and metrics reporting
- Routine updates to the program websites using Basecamp and Drupal
- 2-3 years of experience working in a media outlet or communications/media department
- Experience creating social media campaigns and creating metrics-based strategies
- Understanding of, and experience engaging with, online communities
- Experience using a content management system to manage a website (such as WordPress or Drupal) an asset
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, with strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated experience writing a wide variety of communications materials – from news releases and fact sheets to marketing brochures
- Proficiency with business software programs, i.e. Word, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Ability to handle numerous tasks at one time
- Demonstrated track record of collaboration and ability to work independently
- Experience using layout and design programs (Adobe Creative Suite) is desirable, but not required
- Fluency in French would be an asset, but not required
A bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public relations or related field or equivalent combination of formal education and directly related experience is required.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and resume to communications(at)productcare(dot)org quoting “Communications Officer 2013” in the subject. We thank all that apply, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.