Reporting to the Director, Development, the successful candidate will be responsible for testing software applications. This position works closely with other software development staff, including Business Analysts and Developers. The ideal candidate will possess strong problem solving skills, enjoy detailed work, and be able to organize complex projects into smaller more manageable tasks. They will also have strong leadership qualities and be able to coordinate the work of a team of QA Analysts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review product requirements, software specifications, test plans and user documentation while making recommendations for improvement.
- Perform moderately to highly complex software testing tasks including, but not limited to, planning, scheduling, and executing test plans on database applications with controlled budget management and timelines.
- Participate in estimation and design sessions for software projects, and in development planning sessions for complex software projects
- Assist Business Analysts in planning projects, including advice on how project should be tested, use of test automation, degree of code coverage that can be expected, etc.
- Influence other departments on issues relating to the QA team
- Understand and enhance QA practices and procedures to be followed by their QA team
- Aware of where team projects are at with respect to their overall quality, timelines and deliverables
- Provide leadership/coordination to other team members in completing assigned testing
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work with diverse groups of people.
- Highly organized, self-motivated with the ability to set priorities and make decisions.
- Experience making very complex technical decisions with ambiguous parameters
- Ability to determine which tests are necessary to provide adequate code coverage given limited resources
- Works well under minimal supervision
- Can communicate process and ensure that it is being followed by their QA team
- 7+ years software testing experience
- Experience with Automated Testing Software
- Experience with SQL database applications (MS SQL Server)
- Degree or diploma in computer systems from a university or technical school or equivalent related experience (Help Desk, Sales Support, Software Development)
POSITION CORE COMPETENCIES
- Communication skills – ability to create test plans which can be mapped to requirements documents and will prove that the developed solution meets those requirements within reasonable bounds
- Analytical skills – ability to understand customer needs to determine whether developed solution meets those needs
- Analytical skills – understanding of QA's role in the company and how to best fulfill that role
- Development skills – ability to evaluate automation tools and make value judgments on automation of tests
- Development skills – ability to inspect code modules and determine if they meet applicable standards, map to requirements and fulfill customer needs
- Interpersonal skills – work with developers, customer support, implementation consultants and business analysts to improve developed solutions
- Interpersonal skills – mentoring of senior staff, developers
- Understanding of relational database concepts, including ability use standard tools to write complex queries
Indeed - 22 months ago