Private home care

Private home care Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Laid back
Home care aide (Current Employee), Lloydminster, ABAugust 7, 2014
Typical day at work would be coming in and grooming the patient, feeding, and then meeting the needs of the patient.

I learned how home care works and how it feels to work in home care.

There is no management. Co-workers are nice and reliable.

The hardest part of the job is there is not much you can work on to advance.

Most enjoyable part is working – more... with people. – less
Caring energetic and ready to serve.
Care Aide (Current Employee), Duncan, BCJuly 11, 2014
Pros: relationships built
Cons: no benefits for health or pention
Apon arrival to any home I go to I always start by checking in to see how my client is doing. Then I go to the communication book (if available) to see how the last shift had gone. Once done I immediately start on tasks needing to be done in the home starting with my clients needs first; hygiene, meals and meds. Once these are taken care of and I know – more... what my client what to do that day I start on daily house cleaning until it is time for our putting or appointment.
Emotional and social health is just as important to my clients health as their physical health and I make a point of visiting and checking in on my client through out the shift. I am not there to be invisible and ignore my client but rather to be more of a companion someone they can trust and know they can tell me almost everything.
It is very important to me to know a bit about the other aides in the home. As well an open and clear relationship with other staff members supporting someone in need provides better care and more security for the client.
One of the challenges that comes with working with people is that we all have different ways that we like things done around our homes but once that is sorted out and I know how they like their food prepared or the order my client likes to do their hygiene these challenges fair away. Another this would be taking time off for holidays and special events. Luckily I do have a couple trusted friends that work in the same line of work that in a pinch an fill in but finding trusted reliable help is a reality. I have a hard time taking time off if I do not know my client will be we cared for.
There are many reasons I love working with people but one of the top reasons would have to be the relationship that is built during my time with them. Their life experiences and interests excite me and I look for any possibility to plan outings or activities around these interests.
Over all working as a private care giver is my idea job and one that I would recommend to anyone that loves people and desires to provide the best posable care and improve quality of life. – less
wonderful family to work for
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONMay 13, 2014
Pros: flexibility
This was a private homecare job that was a wonderful experience. I assisted with all aspects of ADL's and was also there for companionship. I worked short hours. I was there to prepare breakfast and lunch. I learned the value of having family be a supporting role in healthcare decisions and what positive impact it had on my client. I would have to say – more... that the hardest part of this job would be not having other staff around if something would have gone wrong. The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to not rush my client and have time to spend with her. – less
Fun place to work at.
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 10, 2014
I Assist with transferring from bed to chair, repositioning, showers, dressing, medicating, providing emotional support, assisting in maintaining appropriate hygiene and listening to the patient's other needs and fulfilling them to the patient's expectations safely.
challenging
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), Goderich, ONMarch 24, 2014
Pros: busy
Cons: hard
Very hard work but alway's busy and the patient is very challenging but fun I love working one on one
Helping parents with their disabled child.
Caregiver (Current Employee), Bowmanville, ONMarch 3, 2014
Pros: the opportunity to help both the child and the parents.
Cons: not enough time.
Knowing that you have enriched the life of a child who would otherwise not had as many advances as others.
It was a amazing feeling to help people
Home care (Current Employee), EdmontonJanuary 27, 2014
I love helping people and it is a wonderful experience when you can make that connection with people
Very interesting
Private Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Markham, ONDecember 3, 2013
Pros: i get to meet and do alot of things i wouldn't image to do .
Cons: not enough sleep
Typical day at work is basically getting her ready for the day , preparing meals , feeding , cleaning , laundry , taking her to work.
Doing this job I've gained alot of patients because I have to deal with so much . Balancing my home life and work life I would say is the hardest part .. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to experiences – more... new things and I actually get to meet alot of new people all the time . – less
lots of frustrations
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Windsor, ONNovember 10, 2013
Pros: free good lunches
Cons: not enough hours
The review is something I would not want to work there..I need a change more mingling with people not just in a someones home being cage in..with a alzimers patient..I need a big change by working in a hospital were I can mingle with other people or in a nursing home..
It is a really challenging job to do a community work, but i have learned a lot
Practical Nurse (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 11, 2013
Pros: long hours, fixed schedule
Cons: whenever the client dies, i lost my job too
we usually start the day by giving the client a sponge bath, change the diaper and clothes, i gave him his meals. In the aftenoon, we are going outside for a drive with the son and moves him from bed to wheel chair with the use of a hoyer lift. It is really hard when the client is not cooperating but, i still try my best. It feels good everytime that – more... we go for a drive that i can see that the client is enjoying what he is doing. – less
Comfortable work place
Health Care Attendant (Former Employee), Thunder Bay ONJuly 21, 2013
This was a very rewarding job if your heart is into it. I very much enjoyed my time working here but it was not the career path for myself.
Deep appreciation
Caregiver (Former Employee), Summerland, BCJune 10, 2013
Pros: providing outstanding personal care to someone who appreciates it.
Cons: heavy lifting and sleep disruption
Working 24 hour shifts with a quadriplegic patient provides a real insight as to the little things most of us take for granted.
I enjoyed my patient's positive perspective and acceptance of her limiting life.
The most difficult part of the job was pushing against her bodies force during muscles spasms that could last up to 20 minutes. I also found the – more... lifting and holding of 70 lbs. dead weight wearing on my body.
Providing an opportunity for my patient to earn a little income from the book she wrote by developing a website for her and assisting in social media was extremely rewarding. – less
Client is your employer. Their home is the workplace. Cozy family atmosphere
Personal Suport Worker (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 8, 2013
Pros: client likes listening to music and enjoying gardens
Cons: low pay
Days change based on clients needs. I learned to be open minded and share the enjoyment of every little aspect of life and living with my client. I reported to the client and her husband and worked under their direction. The hardest part of the job is to watch someones disease take a hold of their life. The most enjoyable part is making them happy.
Rewarding and educational line of work.
Care Provider (Former Employee), Summerland, BCMay 15, 2013
Pros: life experience
Cons: a negative client
Its a great feeling to help someone when they are in need, and why not do it all the time?
Giving care to a person can be difficult at times but there are so many perks to it. If your working with the elderly, like i was. they have so much knowledge about life and our history. And in reverse its a good way to break the age gaps and help them understand – more... and relate to our day and age. – less
productive and fun
Registered practical nurse (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 5, 2013
Pros: long hours
Cons: nothing
i love working,i work well with co-workers i don't want any drama
Playing crosswords/cards/ Talking about patients favorite movies.
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Brampton, ONApril 10, 2013
Pros: job satisfaction
Cons: sadness of seeing the human condition.
Start day physiotherapy/ Turn patient every half hour/ Out for a walk with the patient in wheelchair/ Feeding 3 meals / Games during day time/ personal care (bathing,etc) and peri care/ meal prep/ and good conversation. Keeping the patient happy.
babysitting
babysitting (Former Employee), wallaceburg ontario, hamilton ontarioMarch 18, 2013
babysitting . work everyday in the summer.. Was fun about alot of work watching all these kids.
I like to work in medical field
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), toronto, onSeptember 28, 2012
I really love and enjoyed being a companion of seniors.
Even though physically and healthy wise they are rally not 100% good, but i learned lots of things in life from them.
Muscular Dysrophy Patient
Full/Part and Casual Care Aide (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCAugust 2, 2012
The patient was super easy going and a blast to work for.The family was amazing! Also inculded some free meals and fresh home made cinnamon buns.
it was nice to beable to make my own hours will helping out some friends
child care (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONJuly 26, 2012
Pros: watching the kids grow and learn
Cons: very busy and tring
On my bussy days I would have 4 kids under the age of 5. Time management skills where a must.A normal day was reading, doing crafts and out door play for the kids. The best part of the day was playing games with the kids.

1 2 3 4 5