Princess Auto Employee Reviews

Good fun environment
Part-time Sales and Cash Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 April 2017
Overall its an okay place to work. In my opinion, the management could be severely improved. There are many good people working for the company that get under appreciated. However, it is a good place to work when starting out. The benefits are good.
Fun company.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SK25 April 2017
Opportunities for advancement and paid training. Pay is very reasonable and there is profit sharing. Management is very understanding and willing to work with you to ensure a good work and life balance. The team is just that, a team.
Great place but no room for growth
Team memebr (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON23 April 2017
Great company to enjoy working for if you don't plan on advancing.
You must already have the skill sets there looking for to advance, past accomplishments and years of service mean nothing and they won't train on they job you must already be trained for the job.
The team members are great friendly and make the work day enjoyable and our customers are fantastic and friendly.
Every other weekend off
Pros
Team memebers and customers
Cons
Very little room for advancements
It could have been better
Sales Associate and Night Receiver, Whitby (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON5 April 2017
It was poorly managed and there was too much drama going on. I only worked there to make money while i was in school. I had good hours but wasn't worth it with all the stuff going on.
Pros
money
Cons
drama
Fun work place but has its moments.
Cashier, Stocking (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL30 March 2017
You learned new things everyday, got to get to know new customers, learn new skills, learn about different types of tools and how they work and you gain more independence.
Pros
Store closed at 9 on week days, 6 on Saturdays and 5 on Sundays
Cons
Making sure everything is done right, weren't able to leave until everything was done
Wouldnt waste my time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB17 March 2017
The profit share is nice, but doesn't make it worth it. The rules or guidelines change, constantly. What one leader tells you, is different than what another leader will tell you the next day. The culture is a bunch of whiny children. Feels like a high school.
Pros
Benefits, profit share, job security
Cons
Wage isnt great, culture is terrible, burnout
Productive and fun atmosphere to work in
Full time Team Member Night Receiver (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 March 2017
I've worked here for 10 years, and it is great.
The people here are amazing, friendly and welcoming.
They do not only show Royal Service to customers, they also provide it for team members.
Pros
Lots of Free Lunches and Profit Sharing and Benifits
Management can use serious work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 March 2017
The management for the location I worked at was poor, there have been several accounts of schedules changing several times after they have been posted without notice. There had also been several accounts of complaints from Team Members, Leaders and Customers going completely unheard or not dealt with. Conflicts between Team Members had been put on the table and never truly dealt with by Management, and there has been huge instances of favoritism by Management.
Pros
Profit Sharing
Cons
Biased Management
Not a great company for a career
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 March 2017
Started with great potential as a career for growth but has proven the complete opposite due to managers who hire based on personal likes rather then skills and acheivements.

I do not recommend for anyone looking for a career. Good for anyone just looking for a daily job.

They do offer a reasonable pay for a retail company including quarterly profit sharing.
Lots of great people with a lot of knowledgment
Order picker/Shipping (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON27 February 2017
I find it is hard to move up with in the company and the communication is not there from the leadership team, and the team members are struggling with what is asked from them daily
Relaxed atmosphere, typical retail store.
NRT (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON24 February 2017
Typical retail store minus one key feature, no planograms for product placement. its a mess to stock and its a mess to shop. staff are told to "use their own creative input" to merchandise but 8 people working the same section leads to the chaos everyone who shops at princess auto has seen.With that being said Overall with an employee discount and many employee incentive bonuses along with the very flexible hours its a great part time job.Anyone who enjoys working on their own, merchandising and customer service could thrive here.
Pros
Staff discount, employee incentives
Cons
extremely disorganized
Excellent Culture
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON11 February 2017
Great company culture and excellent environment at all levels. Many levels of company are truly focused on the creating a superior experience for their employees and team members. Although this company have been operating for 50+ years and has been extremely successful for a Canadian based company. It has many opportunities to grow its operations and customer engagement culture. I look forward to seeing how Princess Auto Moves forward in developing their operations of the next 10 years. Good Luck PA
Culture crumbling
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 January 2017
During my many years with Princess I enjoyed working in a friendly, fun environment and flourished without worry of judgement. In the last 3-4 years a new wave of upper management was hired strictly based on skill set, with little to no consideration as to their morals/personality. Within a short period, I was met with management that either didn't know me or didn't care to know me. Many knew of the corporate values, but had little clue or interest as to how to apply them. I wish the company well, but it is very sad to know it's unique culture is slowing crumbling.
Pros
Caring key people
Cons
Corporate mindset taking over
Terrible place to work!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 January 2017
I've worked here for almost 4 years and since I first started everyone seemed "nice" couple months has passed and I've never met more people who love to hold grudges and complain every second they get (about other employees). Management and the 'team leaders' are useless and will only cater to those who see this job as a career; most likely those who have been there for more than 6+ years. They have ridiculous rules and there are write-ups made, basically older adults running to management about the teenagers or young adults to basically get fired. EVERYWHERE is the boss there, no one has respect for one another and you won't go 1 full shift about getting an ear full of drama (cashiers specifically - where they all team up on the young ones who actually work). The amount of pay is NOTHING worth a long day of hard work lunging around steel-toed, even the cashiers were never allowed to sit but stand on useless mats they provide that they all trip on everyday. From my experience on working there, I dreaded the last 3 1/2 years with being said I was only getting paid $13.00/hr and after my years of being there I only got a .26cent raise... which I don't even call a raise. Definitely, Princess Auto is NOTHING a great place/environment to work at and there is no such thing as "Teamwork" here.
Pros
20% off & sometimes free lunches
Cons
Horrible management, unfair/baised opinions, drama filled, rude leaders, no days off
Favortism and the team members run this building
Leader (Former Employee) –  Ottawa24 January 2017
Way to much favortism and you must fit in with the leaders or they will get rid of you quickly
Not a fun place to work and poor pay
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Pay is poor and management uses favortism
Good place to work for
Welder (Former Employee) –  480 Panet Road, Winnipeg, MB19 January 2017
All around good place to work for. Good challenges, wonderful people. Sad to go. I moved up the ranks from Welder to Lead Hand Welder and to Robotic Welder Operator. I left the company as a Maintenance Operator. There was always BBQ's celebrating differences, celebrating the different cultures. Very family orientated and treated everyone fairly. Everyone who works there was"family".
Pros
Profit Sharing
Fun workplace but not a livable wage
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2017
There are great opportunities to meet a lot of interesting people but the wage is not enough to support an average lifestyle. ----------------------------------------------
not the greatest place to be employed
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 January 2017
Princess auto says they are all about their employees but they really are not. They have no compassion for people and their families.
Pros
benefits, profit sharing
Cons
management, hours
Nice co-workers....misery loves company
Part timer (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON11 January 2017
Welcome to the unique world of Princess Auto, and boy, is it unique.

As a part timer you will be subjected to working odd hours, you are a fill in, this is to be expected in any retail setting. Weekends will no longer be your's, when you want a weekend off you will be told to schedule your activities around the schedule. Make sure any events, such as family birthday parties or the like, are in sync with their work schedule, good luck!!

The profit sharing is an unknown, you will sign an agreement that states after 3 months you are eligible to receive it, one co-worker told me after 9 months he still hadn't seen penny one, beware!!

They preach safe work place practices, yet will stack an 80 pound item on the top shelf ( two high sometimes) and expect you to climb up a ladder to get it down for a customer. This practice is so unsafe it is beyond comprehension, it's just a matter of time until someone gets seriously hurt. Of course if something does happen you have to fill out an incident report....I think they get put in the company's round file.

They seem to promote incompetence, as long as the incompetent one likes to keep his or her nose brown, that seems the only way to achieve advancement in the company. Also, they don't recognise any external experience, seems unless you've worked there for a very long time, your experience means nothing.

The exclusion of certain "team members" to things like celebrations, anniversaries and anything free was a regular occurrence for me....didn't feel like any team I've ever been on.

Overall, if you're a student looking
  more... for a just over minimum wage job, then this place isn't a bad fit. But if you are someone looking for a real job where your experience matters, look elsewhere, Co-workers, for the most part, were amazing, great bunch of people working there!!  less
Pros
20% Store discount
Cons
Too many to list here
Awesome place to work
Inventory Auditor,Assistant Manager,Manager (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON and Mississauga, ON27 December 2016
Excellent culture, good leadership, lots of opportunities for growth, an emphasis on taking care of people, both employees and customers and an overall fun place to work. I have learnt a lot about every aspect of running a retail business in the past 4 plus years at Princess Auto.
Benefits
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Princess Auto. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7